Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Martman posted:

I disagree with your feelings on Godzilla 2014 because of the many reasons others have articulated since the criticisms came out.

Bad news: this looks like Godzilla 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Davros1 posted:

I find this the case for every Godzilla film, really.

Seriously, name one for which this is not the case. Rodan's is pretty decent.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Apart from the original? Ghidorah the 3 Headed Monster, Godzilla vs. Mothra, Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, Godzilla vs. Biollante

I will grant you Ghidorah, Mothra and Biolante. Biolante's story is especially cool, Mothra's is probably the most unique.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Liberal Idiot posted:

Godzilla vs. Gigan has a pretty memorable human plot, I think. Comic book artist uncovers Trojan horse plot by cockroaches from space.

That's one of the ones I haven't seen and you just sold me on it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Godzilla '14 and Age of Ultron should definitely be enough to get this dude barred from acting

He's Keanu without the awkward physical charisma.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What's your favorite shot in that movie?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He drat well better.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mr. stefan posted:

There's only so much a cinematographer can do when the director is a screaming idiot.

Filmmaking is collaboration. It's the cook, not the ingredients.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Hey, if you have some Crackle recommendations, feel free but it sucks rear end!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Raids Again is really, really, really bad.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mr. stefan posted:

You'd think after the billionth time a Godzilla movie is the subject of a "too much talking not enough stompy monsters" hot take, someone might realize that the monsters are traditionally there in a Godzilla movie to facilitate the characters, not the other way around

Right?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gozinbulx posted:

I dont wanna read any reviews, spoiler or not. When does this poo poo come out stateside??

I don't think the ink is even dry on distribution rights yet.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wizchine posted:

Who the gently caress watches Godzilla movies for anything other than Godzilla and the other monsters? All the other poo poo is filler because the budget couldn't handle 90 minutes of painstakingly-built miniatures getting destroyed by men wrestling in latex.

If that's the case, you can just watch clips online.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Maybe I'm kinda late in noticing this, but I found a bunch of old concept art images online of the 1998 Godzilla. What's the deal with humanoid Godzilla? It looks like maybe originally the idea was taking advantage of CGI Godzilla more agile and flexible instead of being a stiff-moving suit, rather than being more like a t-rex. The design is really similar to the finished movie, but the way it carries itself is totally different. Did anyone behind the scenes on the movie ever talk about the change?

I kinda like it, it's got a xenomorph or pumpkinhead vibe to it.

Humanoid Godzilla would have been way better than what we got.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I loving love that Godzilla design.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Most designs make him more intelligent looking, but this one has the malevolent gaze of a turkey, with needle teeth that don't quite fit his mouth.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

The biggest problem today with high resolution transfers is actually when they eliminate texture, tone, and detail for the sake of an arbitrary standard of "clarity" or "smoothness" or "immersion."

Nice fuckin 2XSAI emulator filter on the classic Disney cartoon.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Schwarzwald posted:

Didn't Disney also saw off the top and bottom of the picture to make it widescreen?

I don't know but if so whoever is responsible should be imprisoned.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's amazing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

There's the reverse problem now though, stuff like Seinfeld and Malcolm in the Middle airing in wide-screen despite it being designed for a different ratio.

I assume you seen the Malcolm in the Middle HD with booms in the shot and Darkside Dewey and the like.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Hilarious and chilling as that is, it is really cool to see how shows were tooled for their intended medium.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mandatory lesbian posted:

i want to know what you are talking about and google isn't helping

http://imgur.com/gallery/TRsE3

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

Shin Gojira is dope. It's a black comedy of the most audacious kind. Like the '54 film married to that Arabian Nights trilogy from last year.

It's really, REALLY funny. G14 only has a handful of morbid jokes, overall it's much more awestruck and mournful. But this was just plain quirky.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I swear, JJ Abrams is ruining the taste of an entire generation of movie watchers.

Oh yeah for sure.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Invoking Ozu makes more sense here.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Raxivace posted:

Didn't some of those reviews say the film endorsed fascism or something? I can't say I saw that in the movie myself.

It's right-wing for sure. Fascist is another story.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I mossed most of the static camera talk, but to me it felt like another film about a monster that dug at its homeland's political anxieties: I Stand Alone.

Now there's an interesting comparison.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

Criterion really needs to get on some Eclipse sets that do for Toho/Honda what #37 did for Shochiku.

What they need to do is clean up and re-release Half Human, which is really good, at least the cut I've seen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective No. 27 posted:

First Kong trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9y6oPka3us

Looks really good! Pretty funny that they got John C. Reily to wear a jacket with the words "For Your Health" on the back. Dunno how intentional that was. Also, John Goodman. Always a delight to see him.

I had no clue JCR was in this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You can't really "design" a gorilla, but the colors and slightly 'off', mangy, matted look reminds me a lot of the stop motion King Kong, which makes me very excited.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Rodan is incredible.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Minilla is such a little idiot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They took out the crazy eye! Ridiculous.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Choco1980 posted:

Juliette Binoche was pretty wasted in Godzilla 2014 I'd say.

That was a really deep pull for someone that's in the movie for like 90 seconds. It's like Julie Delpy in Avengers 2. Did she have cut scenes or something?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mantis42 posted:

He wasn't a nutbar. He just came off as one because people aren't inclined to believe "giant monsters exist".

He was a crazed prophet warning people that God was going to return to earth.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I just about shat bricks when I saw it on a torrent site a while back, isn't that movie literally locked super deep in Toho's vault never to be seen again?

I saw it a year or two back. From what I recall it's incomplete, but what I watched was like 65 minutes and seemed pretty complete to me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

The monsters are not shoehorned in, the movie is about monsters/is called monsters. But if the film hypothetically didn't feature any monsters, it would still be really good.

Have you seen Alien Outpost/Outpost 37?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

Nah, but it looks pre' decent.

It's a great example of a movie no one on earth other than you would give a poo poo about so I would be curious to hear your thoughts if you track it down.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Improbable Lobster posted:

His brand is poison among critics and reviewers. His films are financially successful. These are not contradictory statements.

Brands are about making money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's literally the only thing that means.

Right. What's the actual concern here, the brand, or the art?