Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

My 8-year old just informed me that if I don't get this for him he won't help me clean the house. And he'll kill me. Wish me luck.

Lol, he's reading this over my shoulder and he says, "So are you going to get it?"
well are you???!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Karloff posted:

Gotta disagree. Dangerville is terrible! The reason being for me is this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrwM8NQnC48 where he inexplicably claims that Godzilla films from the fifties, sixties, and seventies were using CGI because he assumes that any post-production effect must be CGI. This is something that he could have found out with the bare minimum of research (and anyone with even the most basic understanding of film history would have known already), and on that basis, and the fact loads of comments have informed him of his massive mistake and he hasn't deleted the video out of shame, I can only assume a lot of his videos are this shoddily researched and put together.
Nobody could be this stupid

*watches snippet*

This man literally does not know what CGI stands for

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Vinylshadow posted:

I don't know how to feel about the fact I literally almost fell asleep during KotM, yet I was able to stay awake through the entire anime trilogy twice

it probably meant you were really sleepy when you saw KotM :shrug:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Magic Pus posted:

I love ‘Destroy All Monsters’! The global monster rampages and Ghidora getting absolutely wrecked are pure gold and the alien plot is fun, IMHO.

Yeah any movie with The Kick in it can’t be the worst one. Even implying that is an insult to Gorosaurus really.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

They should have made more black and white Godzilla movies

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’ve watched some of that guys videos before but there was a bit too much plot regurgitation for me. I’ll check out the Shin one since it sounds like that one’s better?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Gripweed posted:

Man I don't want to be negative but I don't expect this to be a good movie

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1296263401648336896?s=20

looks like Ziltoid cut his hair off

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I watched Ebirah yesterday myself and I liked it a lot better than when I first saw it. It’s got such a graphic novel adventure vibe going on, like a goofier Tintin or something.

Did they even really describe what Red Bamboo was or what they were trying to accomplish?

Is this also the most mobile Godzilla in the Showa series? I don’t remember him bending down to pick up stuff or sitting on his tail(!) in other movies.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
What movie does he and Godzilla talk in? I don’t suppose that English dub made it in to the Criterion set...

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Violator posted:

There was a black and white Godzilla book I had as a kid that had an orange cover. I think it was part of a series with different monsters and I wish I could find it again.

That is the famous Crestwood House Monster Series which is a treasured childhood memory for many of us.

Edit: poo poo here you go, the Godzilla book courtesy of archive.org

david_a fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 11, 2020

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

That feeling when your kaiju suit is so lovely it accidentally looks anatomically correct

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
My only complaint about the end fight in DAM is that King G against like, 7 other kaiju is just so absurdly unfair. He needed a tag team partner.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Xguard86 posted:

What is the 03 second thing? I can't see well enough to tell.

MechaGodzilla

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is there any real-world reason why the fights in vs Gigan are so much more brutal than the rest of the series? The blood & Godzilla showing scars from being blinded seems out of place with the goofy human plot. Godzilla even does Atomic Butt Drops on Gigan later on! Not that I’m really complaining mind you, this movie probably has the best fights so far (even if there is some reuse)!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Is this peak thunder thighs?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

feedmyleg posted:

I have memories of the 90s ride burned into my brain. Seeing that massive puppet as a young kid was an incredible, terrifying image. Goddamn that's good stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwOGaIJGnPE

Yeah Kongfrontation left a massive impact on me too. So drat cool. Part of me died the day I learned that ride no longer exists.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s a new-ish Kong ride at Universal Orlando that I haven’t ridden, but my sister said it wasn’t worth the wait at all. However, she despises monkeys and apes so her judgement is suspect.

I haven’t watched this video either, but since it’s a Universal ride made after 2010 my guess is that it’s just 70% projected cg screen poo poo and not much else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_GZCxD1Jvw

I’m lazy, someone tell me if I’m right.

From the video there are actually way more animatronics than I would have expected, including a giant Kong head at the end. Nothing on par with the older ride where he picks up the tram you’re on, though.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

reminded me of a theme park simulator ride which was cool i guess.

Yeah this has been mentioned before but I really agree; those flying cars felt super similar to something like the Back to the Future ride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feaC30j1D3s

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Trip report: We watched the Blob last night and it's still insanely boring, probably one of the most overrated horror films of all time. It is bad in every way that Blob '88 is amazing. Steve McQueen's acting is downright strange, which would be interesting if 97% of the movie weren't people talking about things other than the plot.

Yeah I thought that movie was boring as hell too.

Blob ‘88 is one of the few bigger 80s movies left I haven’t seen so I’m taking my time getting around to that one.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

Get on that

I thought this was the horror thread; why are we even talking about The Blob in here

Anyway I’m saving Blob ‘88 for some special time

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I heard an interview with the Asylum founders on the NPR show Marketplace of all things, and they basically just bragged the entire time about how efficient they were at cranking out movies for zero dollars. The main effort goes into coming up with concepts like Shark in Tornado or whatever, followed by the title & cover, and lastly and least importantly an actual movie made as cheaply as possible. They are very, very aware that they are just selling the idea of a film so people can go “omg I just watched this movie called Were-Bear vs Bigfoot it was sooo bad lol.”

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

“The Death Song of Three Storms” is a pretty :black101: name for a hot sauce

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
If you have any interest in pinball, Stern made a Godzilla table. It’s pretty fun! On the fancy editions there’s a skyscraper that collapses and a bridge you can knock down. I wish there was a King Ghidora toy on the playfield but I guess MechaGodzilla will have to do.

It probably plays the theme sometimes when you’re playing but the event I saw it at was super loud so I couldn’t tell. Definitely plays the Blue Oyster Cult song on game over, though.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

wdarkk posted:

I can see why Russia might be a particular problem to ship to now, but why is Spain in the highest tier?

Somehow it’s the only European country it ships to.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Corridor Crew did a video on that knight. I didn’t like their recreation much, but it was more about explaining the process. The video gives a lot of insight into how that effect was pulled off back in the day.

https://youtu.be/mnhS36GdM9s

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Eh, you’re being a bit hard on them. They spend a small amount of time on the recreations and the intent isn’t to be perfect or even good. It’s more to show the process involved and how the workflow has changed in 30 years. The Jurassic Park thing was shot using toys and some stock T-Rex model they bought (and yes it looked abysmal). I can’t imagine spending more time on that stuff would pay off for some YouTube videos.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Gripweed posted:

yeah so does Alexander Skarsgard, now tell me how much you remember about his character from Godzilla vs Kong

I completely forgot he was in the movie until I read this. Even now I can only dimly recall him

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CelticPredator posted:

The only good Rock movie post rundown is Jumanji 2. I actually liked him playing a neurotic teenager. But he really whiffed it playing Danny devito imo. 3rd was still pretty solid but didn’t quite hit the highs of the first one.

Pain & Gain isn’t really a Rock movie but he’s good in that playing… a moronic meathead.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I watched The Thing at a local theater before Covid and I’m not sure it was worth it. I’m 99% sure they just projected the Blu-Ray.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

What’s the green quadrupedal one with the absurdly massive fangs?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
All Monsters Attack is a sorta interesting documentary on Japanese society at the time though. Just don’t go into it expecting a lot of killer kaiju action since all of it just the kid daydreaming.

However, being “interesting” is unfortunately not the same as being “good”

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Which godawful ai site generated this masterpiece?

I don’t think AI was needed; the spikes and colors are about the only things changed

https://youtu.be/q6EoRBvdVPQ

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

DeimosRising posted:

is the giant claw antimatter buzzard the biggest monster in a kaiju movie?

The only one I can find that might rival the fearsome Antimatter Space Buzzard is Cthulu from Underwater. Not strictly a kaiju movie though

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Sitting in the theater for a matinee showing of Godzilla -1; the last possible one I could make it to (it stops playing here tomorrow). Better late than never!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

GateOfD posted:

maybe one side is just overpaid given the poo poo cgi in hollywood movies that isn't Avatar

Beatings overwork will continue until morale CGI improves

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Huge 2008ish "Select Your Fighter!" energy there.

I was thinking more of Cleatus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXF8B7-DcKk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Arc Hammer posted:

Monster cleanup goes back all the way to King Kong's death and subsequent aftermath, IMO. It's obviously not the main focus of the film but it's certainly the point of origin for a lot of smaller ideas that expanded over time into the wider Kaiju film trends.

Son of Kong (1933) opens with Carl Denham swamped with lawsuits from the events of King Kong but I don’t remember them getting into the practicalities of disposing a giant ape corpse at all.