Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I saw the film last night, and god drat was it great. For me, I've always loved the two styles of Godzilla more as they approached the extremes on each end. So I love the outright superheroic Godzilla, and with this one, I think I've got a new standard for the 'unstoppable god of death and nightmares' on the other end. Almost every scene with Godzilla gave me chills, and the fire vomit into particle beam scene was so powerful, it'll stick in my brain for years.

There were only about 30 people in the theater, but everyone loved the political satire, with a lot of laughs at various absurdities like the note passing contradicting previous assertions, unnecessary political jockeying, or dumb bureaucratic bullshit. I definitely loved those scenes, since without them, it all would have been a bit too bleak, and it broke up the tension nicely.

Also I do think the little derp babyzilla was cute, but it's a testament to the film that they made it so unnerving in actual movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

:frogsiren:

https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovies/status/788532655457439744

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

I find it funny that it's serious computer girl that fanart seems to have latched onto for the goofy stuff.

She does make a good foil for the goofy, googly-eyed babyzilla. :3:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

You kid, but I'd love one of those.

Actually, no, I'd love a plush toy of the first form that has a little motor inside it that you can turn on to let it flop around. It'd be adorable and I'd buy ten.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I saw Jackson's Kong like 3 times in the theater. I was really into that flick. I still kinda dig it but I do skip around quite a bit.

Meanwhile, I feel bad for not being excited for this because I've never liked Kong in any iteration. I do like the idea of a Kaiju Cinematic Universe though.

(I'd kill to see a hypothetical Godzilla vs Shin Godzilla :swoon:)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

What even are these crossovers anymore?

https://twitter.com/MillisBrent/status/799790059973029888

Not that I'm not 110% behind Blade Wolfzilla.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I just came to post that exact thing, :argh:

Though I like the wrap-up comment:

https://twitter.com/BuddyWaters/status/816802114219319296

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'd be okay with getting F/Z Uro too.

But really, he's totally the right person to get. And he won't have to think up reasons for people to die horribly, it just happens naturally as part of the genre.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Isn't the new Eva movie now named 3.0+1.0 instead of 4.0?

This is some kingdom hearts level naming poo poo now.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

K. Waste posted:

A good thing too 'cause that's hella boring.

As long as it's still gold, had three heads, no arms, and wings, I don't see any reason why they should hue so close to the classic design. Use that money you got to make Ghidorah scary as gently caress.

In fact, something like this concept art from Godzilla: Final Wars

Is that by Yoji Shinkawa? It looks a lot like his style.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Nroo posted:

Showa era rules, Heisei era drools

As true for Godzilla as it is for Kamen Rider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I actually turned it off after about a half hour. I also saw it once before years ago and remembered it being frenetic, but I didn't remember the dad rock, the anime sensibilities, the snap-cut editing, the wild story about human mutants, and the intro featuring a Japanese sub captained by a Jesse Ventura lookalike. That half hour wasn't good, but it was fun.

so wait what part of this is supposed to be the bad part