Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So according to IMDB, Shinya Tsukamoto (of Tetsuo: The Iron Man fame) is acting in this?

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dylazodelan posted:

I've watched pretty much every kaiju movie there is, including ones where I've had to buy a Japanese bootleg or whatever to see, and I still can't bring myself to watch the "Rebirth of Mothra" films.

They're totally fine if you like Mothra. Honestly, this is the first I've heard of anyone really disliking them, the worst I've otherwise heard is "they're just kinda there."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Maxwell Lord posted:

The first and third are okay, the second is hideous. There's this weird orange and green color scheme (though the Toho Kingdom review says it's partly a problem with the BR transfer, I don't recall it looking any better on video), most of the running time is given over to really cheap and uninteresting Indiana Jones stuff, there's an orange fluffy furby thing whose urine has magic healing powers, it's very unpleasant.

That makes sense. I've definitely heard the third one kicks rear end, more specifically than the first two.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

it's kind of sad that the rebirth of mothra movies call to mind a lot quicker than, you know, Mothra.

Mothra is dope as hell, but it's kinda one of the ur-kaiju movies and I'd be shocked if anyone in this thread hadn't seen it, whereas the Rebirth movies are a good bit more obscure (and, thus, fun to talk about). Also, that set with Battle in Outer Space and The H-Man owns.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Detective No. 27 posted:

Godzilla 1984 Returns is coming to Bluray in a couple months.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FZ8I7R4/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_INVLxbSHWQS37

Worth noting that it's only the original Return of Godzilla and doesn't include the Godzilla 1985 cut, though. The rights to the Godzilla 1985 cut are apparently a giant clusterfuck.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's not great, but a lot of G-fans have nostalgia for it, so I figured I'd throw the warning out there. It's still technically available if you're willing to :filez: it, but it's probably never getting another official release.

e: the most interesting thing about it is, it's styled as a direct sequel to the American edit of the original Godzilla, complete with Raymond Burr.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just find it kind of crazy that they added an entire new character without inflating the runtime that much or cutting anything significant to make room. It's a worse movie for it, but a masterful editing job.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
There's one showing in downtown Houston, and nothing in the entire rest of the metro area. Not even loving Drafthouse. (Either Drafthouse.)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
You'd think they'd move to blu-ray screeners at some point, but frankly, those would probably just get pirated even more.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What they need to do is clean up and re-release Half Human, which is really good, at least the cut I've seen.

I just about shat bricks when I saw it on a torrent site a while back, isn't that movie literally locked super deep in Toho's vault never to be seen again?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I saw it a year or two back. From what I recall it's incomplete, but what I watched was like 65 minutes and seemed pretty complete to me.

There's a 90-minute-ish subtitled copy that I'm referring to, and I have no clue where the gently caress the encoder found it (it's apparently a VHS rip but heaven loving knows what VHS it's ripped from).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tezcatlipoca posted:

If you don't want a Godzilla movie like Final Wars every once in a while what are you even doing here?

this guy i knew in high school was a huge godzilla nerd and absolutely hated Final Wars

not because of what it was trying to do, but because he felt it utterly failed to actually do it

he even hated Don Frye, how the gently caress do you hate Don Frye

(dude turned out to be kind of a jerk, naturally)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

It's interesting that we've finally mentioned the phallic element of Godzilla's tail (he's proactively growing a second head, basically), because it basically means that the monster of Shin is the most reminiscent of the Demon of Destruction in Legend of the Overfiend.

For once I actually get one of the references you make to grunchy poo poo

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Maxwell Lord posted:

My understanding is Shinji's hosed up because he's a teenager and you shouldn't have teenagers fighting wars.

ding ding ding

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm guessing they're going down the "We can't kill Godzilla - he's connected to the entire planet!" road.

So no, you can't smoke Godzilla.

I get the impression that the poster isn't using "smoke" colloquially, but rather asking if you could scrape off some bits of Godzilla, load them into a pipe, and smoke them.

Which is an interesting question, honestly.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bimmi posted:

Definitely had nothing to do with it. KK76 was received like the overhyped piece of poo poo it in fact was, and had been soundly forgotten by the time people started hearing about the weird space movie.

First off: it was released in December 1976, meaning "the weird space movie" was barely 6 months away when it came out.

Second off: in spite of this, it was still a massive commercial hit, and while critics were mixed on it, many prominent ones (most notably Ebert and Pauline Kael) praised it. King Kong Lives is the one that bombed, not King Kong '76.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Inescapable Duck posted:

Seems like both of the major King Kong remakes were fairly well recieved and box office hits, only to be pretty quickly forgotten.

'76 is an odd duck because it actually did get rediscovered on TV after it was initially forgotten- in 1980 or 1981, NBC picked up the airing rights to it and made a fuckload of money. It then got promptly forgotten again when Lives bombed.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

and if that suit and Richard Baker's performance as Kong weren't a peak in the daikaiju genre for you, then I'm gonna have to say banana oil.

If this was a deliberate reference, I appreciated it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I literally just looked that clip up to make sure I was thinking of the right movie. :haw:

e: That's not even remotely the funniest thing from that dub, but I can't find the actual funniest thing (the completely bugfuck insane presentation on the history of "fire monsters") on YouTube anywhere.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HannibalBarca posted:

the summaries I've read of the Fire Monsters script are indeed completely bugfuck insane. At one point our hero literally punches the female lead out to stop her from being hysterical. It's the worst bits of the 50s, distilled.

No, there's one scene in particular that is just the most hilariously loving bonkers thing ever, and I'm gonna see if I can dig up the particular scene. It's an exposition dump about the history of "fire monsters" that is to paleontology what The Core is to physics.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HannibalBarca posted:

I mean, the paleontology in the original English dubbed version is pretty insane as is

I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same dub, because to my understanding the Gigantis dub is the only one that exists for Raids Again.

e: gently caress, I can't even find this poo poo on my usual sources to rip the scene from. If anyone has a copy of the Classic Media DVD of Godzilla Raids Again and wants to come to the rescue here, please do, because holy gently caress the world needs to see this.

e2: nevermind, found it, though the quality may be spotty.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 27, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bimmi posted:

I think he means Yamane's claim that Godzilla hails from the age of dinosaurs "two million years ago," which is a direct translation from the original dialogue iirc.

That's... probably the least hilarious thing in the whole scene, so cool, I still have reason to upload this. The dub adds quite a bit more exposition and it's all totally bonkers and uses some really, really hilariously awful stock footage.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU3QF1TUSGU

Here's what I was talking about. Every time I watch this sequence I just end up laughing like a loving idiot for six minutes straight.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Oh gently caress me. I guess horizontally flipping a video no longer fools them. Should I bother with a fair use dispute?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I wound up just nuking the video so I don't have to look at it on my Youtube channel, and I'm putting it on vid.me instead. gently caress Toho.

(vid.me, for the uninitiated, straight up doesn't give a poo poo as long as you don't call attention to it, I have at least one entire anime series up on there for synchtube streaming and it's not one that YouTube likes people uploading.)

e:

https://vid.me/hJEcA

Here's the video. I can't embed it but here it is regardless.

Jesus, between trying to find a loving copy of Gigantis The Fire Monster and trying to get this clip uploaded somewhere, this has been like pulling teeth.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Oct 27, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
"This is bad... this IS bad!" is one of my favorite line readings of all time.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

Gojira does not mean "Gorilla-Whale," it means Gojira. The name is etymologically derived from gorira and kujira, but the name itself is not a semantic extension of those two words.

Nah, it's sort of like if we called a monster "Whalerilla."

Also, Mothra is a primordial god, but Mothra is also totally just a really fuckoff huge moth.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

Except it's not, because go does not mean "gorilla," and jira does not mean "whale."

Okay, "go-ale." Better?

(I genuinely appreciate the etymology lesson but I'm just trying to goof here. :v:)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dylazodelan posted:

Does anyone have a take on which version of G2K is better (Japanese original and American re-edit)? I've read that a lot of fans swear by the American cut due to tighter editing and some other creative choices that apparently liven the film up, and I haven't seen the American cut since I was a kid so I can't compare the two.

From what I'm aware, they're really not all that different; the main reason to go for the American edit over the Japanese original is because the Japanese original is a loving bastard to find in English, whereas you can just go grab the American edit on a decentish DVD for like $5.

e: yeah, the American edit doesn't lose anything too major, and while it had a bad rep for "camping up" the movie for a long time, all the changes were Toho-approved and the Japanese version's pretty goofy in the first place. Toho Kingdom, who are pretty much the Godzilla-nerd equivalent of Wookieepedia, actively suggests going for the American version because the Japanese version is paced like poo poo according to them.

e2: huh, apparently the blu-ray has both cuts, so my initial point doesn't matter. I would definitely go for American, yeah.

e3: while looking this up, I found out that apparently Mike Schlesinger, the guy who wrote the American script for G2000, wrote a direct sequel to G2000 that got a decent ways into pre-production, was to be directed by Joe Dante, and would have had Toho directly involved working on the technical aspects of the movie. gently caress WHY DID THAT NEVER HAPPEN.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 3, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, whether you like him or not, Gen Urobuchi is one of the hottest anime writers in Japan right now and one of the very few who's honestly kind of a "name" in and of himself (the only other anime writers I'm familiar with are Mari Okada and Sho Aikawa, and the latter... not exactly for good reasons)

it's not exactly a shock that Toho handed Godzilla to him

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

Basically what anime Godzilla translates to is just more talking.

See, this is why Final Wars is good. Not every potential of a medium is best expressed through pathos, sometimes you need to get willfully tasteless. If you're going to do anime Godzilla the last thing I want is a dry reboot of the old divine punishment narrative where every aspect of the story is expressed primarily through dialog. I want blood spewing from Godzilla's nose because he caught sight of a school girl's panties. I want the theme song to be "Godzilla-san" (1955, comp. Tadashi Yoshida, vocals by Takao Saeki):

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x31y792

i mean, honestly, that would sort of go too far in the other direction for me. anime silliness is most tolerable when it's kind of po-faced and sincere, not when it's just going out of its way to be as ridiculous as possible; stuff like JoJo and Mirai Nikki and the Fate franchise that trades on being utterly batshit and actually works, tends to do so because it has a consistent internal logic and plays everything with a straight face.

what I want out of anime Godzilla is less "go as over-the-top and goofy as possible" and more "do cool poo poo that they wouldn't have the VFX budget for in live-action." the kaiju fights in a Godzilla anime should be loving insane, and yet the Godzilla anime we got barely has any kaiju action at all. like, take this bit from Neon Genesis Evangelion, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A89blUjT7z8

even without being wild and OTT (Eva is pretty much at the absolute most serious end of anime), this fight pretty much perfectly shows how anime's suited to making this poo poo awesome. the way EVA-01 moves through this fight is inhuman. it would be pretty much impossible to achieve with suitmation, and honestly pretty goddamn hard to do in CGI without looking crappy (they only recently figured out how to make xenomorphs look right in the Alien movies, and those have about 10 times as much money dumped into them as your average Japanese movie). if I'm watching a Godzilla anime I wanna see a loving terrifying and inhuman Godzilla that just obliterates everything in its path throwing down with other batshit insane cosmic horrors, because that's the primary benefit of doing animation over live action, you can do wilder poo poo with less money.

the problem with the Godzilla anime isn't that it isn't embracing anime bullshit hard enough; it's that it's just loving uninspired.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
See NOW we're on the same goddamn page.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
to be honest, I feel like Gen Urobuchi is the #1 problem with anime Godzilla. he's just, straight up, not the kind of writer you want doing this; he trades in super-talky grimdark stuff with insane amounts of technobabble and/or magibabble, which is... not a good fit with Godzilla.

like, Fate/zero has a lot of stuff that's exactly what I want out of anime Godzilla, but I can basically guarantee that stuff was Nasu and not Urobuchi; the stuff with Urobuchi's hallmarks is pretty much people talking to each other for 10+ minutes at a time while walking around in circles menacingly, whereas the Nasu part is Queen Arthur shooting laser beams out of Excalibur at a kaiju-sized Lovecraftian horror, and Gilgamesh dogfighting Lancelot (who has commandeered an F-15 by surfing on top of it, oh and did I mention Lancelot is a literal screaming black mass of anger in the vague shape of a knight) in an ancient Babylonian UFO

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 4, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also for its part, once that VN gets all the initial explanation out of the way, it's way more interested in going on at length about food than anything else outside of insane rear end-beating

Like there's a reason we have a F/sn smiley and it's :black101: with a chef hat

:fsn:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Motto posted:

Neither nasu or urobuchi were in major positions on zero the show besides the latter writing the source material. Same goes for nasu on all shows (besides the currently airing one where he wrote the first draft of the script) besides coming up with requested extra material sometimes.

i mean i assume the show didn't pull everything out of its rear end :psyduck: while i haven't read the F/Z light novels, i've read stuff written by both Nasu and Urobuchi and the wild-rear end action is largely more similar to the action in Nasu's stuff whereas the constant loving neverending GODDAMN MONOLOGUING is more an Urobuchi thing from what I can tell

e: back on topic, I almost want to see what Nasu's take on Godzilla would be like :stonklol:

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 5, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

As much as I like Psycho-Pass it's the only thing that's great because Urobuchi wrote it. Madoka's script is fine but its strength is its visual aesthetic, and everything else he's written ranges from bland to "I'm probably on a watchlist just for knowing what this is."

the thing that frustrates the gently caress out of me with Urobuchi is that a lot of his actual best ideas are in stuff I can't recommend to anybody else because it contains :yikes: as all hell stuff

like, he wrote a VN called Kikokugai: The Cyber Slayer that's a pretty quick read (maybe like 4-5 hours?) and spends 95% of that runtime being... honestly badass as gently caress. it's lurid as all hell and has a lot of weird gore and sex, but it's all pretty much in the "late 80s/early 90s OVA" zone content-wise for the first 95% of the runtime, and the plot is about a badass going on a vengeance-rampage through Blade Runner Hong Kong loving up cyborgs with kung fu worked up specifically to fry cyborg bits so it's pretty engaging if you're into fun trash. like, up to a certain point i was thinking it'd make a really goddamn sweet movie.

but then it gets to the final fight and BAM SISTER-loving OUT OF NOWHERE :wtc:

e: and then there's Saya no Uta, which is a minefield. if that name means anything to you, you probably already know why, and if it doesn't, you're probably genuinely better off not knowing, and that is coming from the actual king of blabbing about poo poo nobody wants to hear about. i don't really want to think about Saya no Uta most of the time, because it's horrifying on about a hundred different levels, some intentional and some unintentional, and the most i'll say in depth is that i'm pretty sure it's what Tuxedo is directly referring to with that last bit in quotes.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 10, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I would go with "disgusting" more than "crass and juvenile."

e: also, wait, WHAT? I think I need to read Phoenix :psyboom:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Peacoffee posted:

I asked this in the Criterion collection thread to no avail, but maybe it's more pointed here: is there a reason that the CC editions of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla and The Terror of Mechagodzilla are dubs? Because Mothra vs. Godzilla, Godzilla, and Godzilla Raids Again are not. This is viewing them through Filmstruck, but I can't find evidence that it is different on the physical discs.

I can't speak for GvMG, but Terror is an odd case because there's two different English versions and one is an outright different edit of the movie. It might be that the English edited version is the only one they could find in decent condition.

(If Terror makes sense and only has the boob shot missing, then it's definitely the television version and not the edited theatrical version, so I'm as confused as you are in that case.)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah it's not really, like, sexualized nudity and it's literally one shot that got removed from most English-language releases prior to the Classic Media release (which synced the international dub track with the Japanese version's video)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

mandatory lesbian posted:

a metal gear solid movie would be incredibly redundant

if it's an actual ending for MGS5 that'd be nice

the original MGS' plot (Shadow Moses) would also prob work ok as a movie