Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Jimbot posted:

I don't agree with everything in his channel but I found his take on Shin Godzilla pretty insightful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDxmB2D9oDM

I liked Shin Godzilla a lot but I always felt like it had this clinical-like coldness to it that I couldn't quite describe until this video. I do get that it's a perspective piece and you aren't really supposed to connect with the main characters because of how they view the events. Iit's ultimately about the lovely politics of how these disasters are viewed. It still left me cold after viewing it.

Whilst this is true, I felt like you needed to sympathise with the humans as a amorphous crew as opposed to any one singular personality. I still felt happy when everyone came together and managed to seal him up in a non violent way, thereby bypassing the US nuclear route.

EDIT: What's the best way to watch the heisei series? I have Godzilla VS. Biolannte on VHS and that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Jimbot posted:

Best way is to just buy the blu-rays off of amazon. They're double features and you'll always have them. For some reason people are drifting away from physical media and if you're one of those people it's still worth getting them for niche genres like HK action, wuxia, kaiju and the like.

These ones with the bright green label

If you even do a search some of those same ones some are going for bananas expensive because for some reason. Like the 1991 version of Godzilla vs King Ghidorah.

Cheers for that, here's hoping I can find some that will work in an Australian blu ray player.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

holy poo poo singular point got me revved.

Jet Jaguar ape mode looks like he's more of a limber monkey, and I'm 100% here for it.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

teagone posted:

Also wish it was now a spear instead of an axe.

Really thought it was going to be a spear, considering the very opening scene would've been the perfect setup.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

My kingdom for a modern re imagining of Biollante. Either Legendary or Toho I don't care, although Anno could design and direct a loving excellent vs. Biollante film imo.

I think you could slap in some decent climate change messages too, why shouldn't the earth be fighting back when a gigantic mutant plant / Godzilla emerges through human tampering.

This art is good and definitely on track, but Biollante needs to be about 3 times bigger. I remember watching it as a child and the scale of Biollante was unlike any other kaiju Godzilla had faced at the time of release. Fitting his whole head in his gigantic mutant croc mouth was a terrifying sight to my 9 year old brain.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Not sure if everyone is already familiar, but I've been watching this guy's documentaries on the history behind each Godzilla film and they are really interesting and well executed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixvBe2n_2ik

The amazing fact behind Godzilla vs. Biollante that I was unaware of is that it was written by a dentist and submitted through a contest for new Godzilla scripts. The release and success of Little Shop of Horrors was also potentially responsible for instilling the courage within Toho to go down the big budget monster movie path again, after the somewhat dismal box office performance of The Return of Godzilla. So we've got a dentist writing a script and a big plant monster as the big baddie..

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Nice find! Cheers.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Maxwell Lord posted:

Godzilla's hatred of human structures is a constant

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah it's basically "What if Shin Godzilla embraced a lot of the Showa era vibes". It's super, super good.

God drat I am SO PUMPED.
:swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Just be aware that it is kind of a slow burn and at times challenges the viewer on their perceptions of “traditional” Godzilla films.

This is one of the reasons that it is so good though IMO

I mean, I feel like Shin Godzilla is a slow burn and I absolutely adore that movie. It's easily in my top five of all time. So yeah, everything I'm hearing is making me believe this is going to be amazing.

Terrible Opinions posted:

I've been watching it and so far my only real complaint is that it sepnds too long on the science behind the sci-fi stuff and the new segments and not enough on monster plot and/or the main characters interacting. Though that will hopefully be resolved as the plot picks up, only on episode 3.

I'm a bit of a fan of this stuff too. There's something about the Japanese way of breaking down supernatural scenarios scientific and logical packages and dealing with it that way. Shin Godzilla did it perfectly (and from a political perspective) and Death Note comes to mind too. The world is all the same, and the way it's dealt with is kinda clinical and calculated. Magical realism I think maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Jetto Jagga posted:

The scene in Biollante where the kids hold up their drawings is one of the best moments in any Godzilla film, some real "the power of cinema" poo poo

I spent so much of my childhood thinking that Godzilla was dead. In Australia, my local video store only had Godzilla 1984 (Return of Godzilla), I still watched it over and over but usually skipped the ending because it was too heartbreaking. Then our local foreign media channel (SBS) aired Godzilla vs. Biollante. I watched it, slowly realised that it was a sequel to Godzilla 1984 and started going bunta.

That scene where the kids throw up the drawings gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. I love that movie.