Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Super excited about this, found this thread to see some fellow Godzilla nerds and am not disappointed. I'm glad the thread consensus is that modern critics are dopes too focused on "plot" which is one aspect of film. I said this in another thread but the worst thing about this movie is that once it is out I will never see the dope rear end trailers in theaters anymore.

Animal-Mother posted:

If you were lucky like I was, you grew up with Godzilla marathons running on TNT and had the VHS tapes long enough to record three or four of them in a row.

The TNT marathons were the best and my experience. I remember especially really loving Destroy All Monsters for all the crazy other monsters it had.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

My wife posted this about our eight year old Godzilla nerd.

That's a rad kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

It does only one thing.

It talks to kaiju. Either it can rile them up or it can calm them down.

Only, with Ghidorah probably because he's from space it only ever pissed him off, probably because he has the same kind of "take command of kaiju" power that it has only stronger.

WHen the Orca was on, it was loving up his ability to control kaiju, thus it was a challenge to him personally and had to be eliminated.

Godzilla doesn't seem to have an innate ability to control other kaiju like Ghidorah can though by the end of the movie the kaiju that were present at Ghidorah's death knew who was boss now

I thought the point was that it simply mimicked the call of a Titan and depending on the Titan who heard it they reacted differently. If an "alpha" heard it they would think it was a rival alpha to be defeated; when Mothra heard it she reacted the way she would to Godzilla (since it was a mixture of his voice with humans). Rodan seemed like a potential alpha contender who would fall into the pack mentality when defeated (but would then still be beholden to a specific alpha).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

People who don’t like this movie are crazier than Vera Farmiga’s character.

And about as bad at explaining themselves!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

No worries, I was mostly just building off CP's joke while also ribbing the movie a bit myself (by saying the character's explanation was bad). I think there's definitely been some well warranted criticism.