Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

AHAHAHAHAHA, YES.
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1133827869212151808

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Throughout my hype for this film I’ve ended up discovering that a couple of my friends just don’t have a love for Godzilla. Not an active dislike, just that the premise of a giant lizard stomping on things never enticed them.

I just don’t understand.

If you were lucky like I was, you grew up with Godzilla marathons running on TNT and had the VHS tapes long enough to record three or four of them in a row.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's not like enjoying Godzilla is predicated on you having grown up watching the films. When I was a kid all I'd seen was the 1998 Emmerich movie and King of the Monsters on TCM. It wasn't really until I found James Rolfe's Godzillathon that I started getting more interested in giant rubber monster men.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
There was a Godzilla marathon on WB in 98 before Zilla got released, that got child me all in on Godzilla.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I had a VHS of King Kong vs. Godzilla that I watched constantly, I also watched the Godzilla cartoon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There were a few good cartoons in the 90s based off movies. Beetlejuice, Godzilla, Roughnecks.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Animal-Mother posted:

If you were lucky like I was, you grew up with Godzilla marathons running on TNT and had the VHS tapes long enough to record three or four of them in a row.

This was my experience, with a dash of MST3k on late night Comedy Central doing Godzilla vs Megalon

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Animal-Mother posted:

In Milwaukee there was a local channel that ran monster movies every Friday or Saturday (not sure which) night when I was a kid. That was my first exposure, and I have been hooked ever since. I do remember the ads they ran for that featured Joe Cocker's "You Are So Beautiful" while showing closeups of Gamera or Godzilla.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Svengoolie's done a couple of Godzilla fests and they're always a blast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI_Nv4iJ6SE

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
When I was a kid there was a Godzilla marathon every memorial day weekend. I ate that poo poo up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/NeilNevins/status/1133590350348595200

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I've been watching and rewatching the '54 original and Shin Godzilla the last week for a uni essay, so this left me kinda underwhelmed. However it certainly ticks all the boxes it needs to for it to be hella fun, and none of the kaiju are done dirty; they all get their time, which is great.

One thing unsettled me though: framing the nuke launch as a good thing to repower up Godzilla is kinda against the whole subtext Godzilla is based on. It's a minor nag, but hey. What else is the internet for? Also Burning Godzilla was a huge surprise for me and fuckin' ruled.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So, a friend of mine (who seems to enjoy being the group's contrarian) sent me this video review,and,instead of discouraging me like he hoped, it made me laugh my rear end off. To me the guy almost came off as passive-aggressive at the end. Basically goes "If you want a deep,complex story watch the :japan: Godzilla movies, but if you just want to watch monsters fighting then you'd probably like this you plebeian. :smug:"

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 30, 2019

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's a cam rip out there apparently so keep your heads down

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

BigglesSWE posted:

Just saw it. First spoiler free reactions: I understand why this isn’t a reviewer darling, and it certainly has flaws. But it is overall more than enough fun. Some parts gave a titan-esque grin on my face.

2014 movie is technically better, certainly in terms of directing, but this one is probably more fun. It’s balls to the walls crazy at times, so what’s not to love?

Just got back from seeing it too and this is pretty much my reaction. Pacing can be a hard thing to get right, especially on a big scale movie like this... it's probably also kind of subjective too in what some people consider too fast, too slow, or just right. To me it just felt a bit too fast... this happens! Then that happens! Then they're here! Then they're there! But that isn't uncommon. The human characters were mostly fine, besides a few bits of cringe. But they at least weren't completely wooden like in G14 (Cranston aside), Dad-man comes close I guess. I kind of wish there was more focus on the monsters though, not in the G14 "just show us them!" way, but maybe a bit more of seeing them being monsters outside of fight scenes. But holy smokes the visuals were incredible. It was balls to the wall and it was fun and I wanted to see giant monsters hitting each other and I got to see giant monsters hitting each other!

Spoilery stuff... the ending seemed to be dropping some maybe not too subtle hints at where "vs Kong" is going. Having the exchange of "im glad he's on our side" followed by "...for now" maybe sets the scene for a big G heel turn? My early guess is seeing all the other monsters suddenly turn up out of nowhere (seriously, they have borrowed GOT's teleportation device) to bow down to Godzilla; and Kong being absent, seems to be setting up a dissension among the ranks thing. Big G gets pissed Kong ain't taking the knee? Power goes to Big G's head? But unless they turn him fully bad then I still see the most likely outcome being a Batman v Superman deal where Kong and Godzilla find out their mother's have the same name via realising they have a common foe. There were hints in his film that tampering with monster DNA was on the cards ... so early guess is an Indominus Rex type deal, like making a Destroyah or another brand new monster or something.

Overall, it didn't disappoint... it had flaws but it was impressive and fun. If certain critics are confused by Emma Russell's motivations then that's insane when the movie clearly explicitly lays them out. So critics who pick at that as being a flaw are ones whose entire piece I'd call into question.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Critics who compares this to Transformers are also clinically insane. If nothing else, there’s no icky sexualisation of the female characters in this one. There’s also not a Mountain Dew-kajiu.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

BigglesSWE posted:

There’s also not a Mountain Dew-kajiu.

Now I want a future Monsterverse movie to have Mechagodzilla but it's covered in corporate logos because that was the only way Monarch/G-Force/whatever was able to afford a robot Godzilla.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

thepokey posted:

Spoilery stuff... the ending seemed to be dropping some maybe not too subtle hints at where "vs Kong" is going. Having the exchange of "im glad he's on our side" followed by "...for now" maybe sets the scene for a big G heel turn? My early guess is seeing all the other monsters suddenly turn up out of nowhere (seriously, they have borrowed GOT's teleportation device) to bow down to Godzilla; and Kong being absent, seems to be setting up a dissension among the ranks thing. Big G gets pissed Kong ain't taking the knee? Power goes to Big G's head? But unless they turn him fully bad then I still see the most likely outcome being a Batman v Superman deal where Kong and Godzilla find out their mother's have the same name via realising they have a common foe. There were hints in his film that tampering with monster DNA was on the cards ... so early guess is an Indominus Rex type deal, like making a Destroyah or another brand new monster or something.

Well, I felt like Godzilla was kind of heel-ish during the crowning of the new king scene, he looked like poo poo is about to go down now that he has an army of Kaijus with him, and he is done with humanity's poo poo.
That's probably where Kong comes in. And then, the post credits scene pretty much guarantees Charles Dance and his crew is going to use the remaining Ghidorah head as a source for some megahybrid or a mecha Ghidorah or whatever unholy superbeast, and that's when Godzilla realises that there's something more important than fighting a pissed off ape, and still keeping with the theme that the main baddie is something unnatural humans have created/released/tampered with.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
If I really enjoyed Pacific Rim, which was also a box office and critical dud, will I love this as well?

I'm getting that kind of vibe from all the early feedback

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Relevant cross-forum information:

Godzilla-themed Humble Comics Bundle, featuring 171 dollars worth of Godzilla comics available for 15 USD

Includes James Stokoe's work.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

My wife posted this about our eight year old Godzilla nerd.

quote:

S has been sick since Sunday night/Monday morning and missed school on Tuesday. Last night, when he was going to bed, he was acutely aware that we have Godzilla tickets for Thursday. He questioned me HARD about how long he had to go without puking so he could go to school. (If you don't go to school, you don't get to do after-school fun things.)

This morning at 6:20, he wakes me up. "Mom, is this okay?" In my just-awakened stupor, I ask whether he's puked again. He responds: "No. Are my clothes okay and can I go to school?"

The kid woke up early, dressed himself (okay, the shirt was inside out, but A for effort), and wanted to make sure that he definitely could go to school. He was laser focused.

S is one hardcore Godzilla fan.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 30, 2019

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

But He will rise again.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

I've never bought a comics bundle before, but this seems like a good place to start.

Leave fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 30, 2019

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Tekne posted:

But He will rise again.
That’s a big Kong

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Are these comics like, good? I’m not being snarky, I’ve never seen any of them.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

my fave Godzilla is still Shin Godzilla and that arguably had the best "human plot" of any movie while also creating truly nightmarish Godzilla encounters but yeah, if you don't like Godzilla then you're going to rate it poorly no matter what. Whereas for Marvel films there's 400 reviews counted from every loving comicbookgeek dot com in existence.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MrMojok posted:

Maybe

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Super excited about this, found this thread to see some fellow Godzilla nerds and am not disappointed. I'm glad the thread consensus is that modern critics are dopes too focused on "plot" which is one aspect of film. I said this in another thread but the worst thing about this movie is that once it is out I will never see the dope rear end trailers in theaters anymore.

Animal-Mother posted:

The TNT marathons were the best and my experience. I remember especially really loving Destroy All Monsters for all the crazy other monsters it had.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

That's a rad kid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrMojok posted:

It's 50/50.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Hardcore. My 5 year old is begging his skeptical mom to be allowed to go this weekend. He’s amped to wear this shirt I got him at Christmas

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I know my 5 year old self would never forgive my parents if they didn't allow me to experience this. Jurassic Park was that movie for me around the same age, and it started a lifelong love of nature and monsters.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tekne posted:

I know my 5 year old self would never forgive my parents if they didn't allow me to experience this. Jurassic Park was that movie for me around the same age, and it started a lifelong love of nature and monsters.

Oh I’m definitely that garbage dad that lets him watch whatever. I don’t normally see poo poo in imax but I’ll do it for this one because he’ll probably love that

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm a little upset that the RT score isn't as high as I hoped it would be (I figured 70%~) but whatever, it's a giant monster movie, the human parts of G movies are almost always hit and miss.
Even the best G movies have a loving bland as poo poo human component so I guess it's not a huge surprise that Americans can't do those parts any better, as long as the action is easy to follow and suitably bombastic and gently caress YEAH inducing I'll be happy as a 500ft mutant electric storm causing clam.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm taking my 5 year old to this after I see it tonight and vet it. Very excited! See you tomorrow fellow Godzilla fans!!!

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

DeimosRising posted:

Hardcore. My 5 year old is begging his skeptical mom to be allowed to go this weekend. He’s amped to wear this shirt I got him at Christmas

I'll have to show mine that shirt. Right now he's at school, next to last day of the year, and he's wearing this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Famous-World...gateway&sr=8-13

He's also planning on taking two of his figures to the movie tonight. One is a Mothra he just got, I forget which of his more than two dozen or so Godzillas he's going to take.

DeimosRising posted:

Oh I’m definitely that garbage dad that lets him watch whatever. I don’t normally see poo poo in imax but I’ll do it for this one because he’ll probably love that

Mine has graduated from Fortnight to Apex Legends. We both cackle at headshots in Titanfall 2. It's funny, because he's the sweetest, kindest kid ever. It's all about making sure they understand the difference between reality and fantasy.

Tekne posted:

Mine is a huge JP fan as well. Dinosaurs were his first big obsession, no doubt greased the wheels for Godzilla.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 30, 2019

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I think I’m gonna need to see this movie again, I’ve just got back from seeing it the first time and I can’t say I enjoyed it as much as I’d hoped, it was still fun maybe I just went in with expectations that were to high. Or maybe it was just because I was super tired.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol I just remembered that Kyle Chandler had a part in the Peter Jackson King Kong film. Dude just can't stay away from the monsters can he?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Don’t forget Super 8, even though everyone does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is this the figurearts Godzilla?