Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
So, this is a very big thread and googling "why is Street Fighter 5 bad?" or "Street Fighter 5 problems" gives me a bunch of conflicting information, so could someone be so kind and give me a quick summary of its negatives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

HerniaFlange posted:

A little tangential, but I've always wondered what a fighter designed to run at 30 FPS instead of 60 would be like (besides instantly shunned by PC gamers).

Getting some hardcore Masters of Teras Kasi and Tao Feng: Fist of the Lotus flashbacks here.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

One of the funniest things about Tao Feng: Fist of the Lotus is that the reviews of the time point out that the framerate is massively inconsistent, but don't worry "it doesn't affect the gameplay"

We've come a long way.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

dragon enthusiast posted:

for indie game and retro games with a small footprint this is pretty low overhead so it's easier to deal with, but for AAA games that have multiple gigs of textures and physics and lighting etc it's a tall order to be able to just cram that into a save state / load state / resimulate state and have it perform within one 60fps tick for a rollback to execute

The textures and lighting 100% don't matter at all for resimulate, but you are right that if they had physics/particle based stuff it could get nasty.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

pretty soft girl posted:

After 3 hours of experience with VF5 I feel fully qualified to reveal the JACKY system

Texted this to my friend and got the highest compliment he ever gives, "fuckin' saved"

Be proud! Funny as hell.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Someone, I forget who, linked me to the Detective Sajam video and the Majas video and both of them had me legit smiling. Sajam seems like a pretty darn knowledgeable guy and also has a fun and self-effacing vibe (his subscription sound is him screeching as a fellow commentator twists his arm in excitement) and I've never heard him say anything truly horrible, which puts him ahead of lots and lots of other personalities.

And of course you gotta give it up to Rooflemonger and jmCrofts. I remember when roofle (who goes by Evil Canadian) gave me some pointers on VF5 way back years ago, he's always been a nice dude.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I feel like someone probably posted this before but here's all of VF5 FINAL Showdown's Special Win Animations

1) You are not ready for some of the poo poo here
2) This is probably one of the most GIFable vids I've seen in a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1bPzlPdt-k

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

After a week with Virtua Fighter 5 I don't think it's going to make it, even though I dearly want it to. The fact is, this is substantially worse than the Xbox Live Arcade version I picked up back in 2011(?) or so - less character customization, less features (single-player has been stripped out, Quest was really fun folks!), a bad lobby system, and a non-rollback based server relay system that works ok but needed to be better. It's also still an incredibly technical game that requires a lot out of the player to be anything beyond a scrub. For something that was supposed to revive/save the franchise, this doesn't cut it. GG Strive is going to come out and that's all she wrote for VF5, which sucks rear end. :( :( :(

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Zand posted:

I knew it wasn't going to make it when it got announced. I find your optimism inspirational, how do you do it

Sometimes you beat the odds, and sometimes the marketing is poor but the product is great. Having said that, with today's corporations you're probably right to bet on "it's poo poo" most of the time.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

anime was right posted:

formulate your victory plan
row 2
pivot!
[round ends]
xmatch

Surprised to see this isn't getting empty-quoted or lol'd. It's funny y'all!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

This is honestly really funny and props to whoever made it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Does anyone know of an adapter that can make my PS4/PC fight stick be detected as a native PS5 device?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Probably going to get poo poo on for my scrub tier thought but Marissa looks a bit like Injustice's Bane in the sense that he was also built around using super armor and baiting/getting baited into stuff. Only as you guys know there was no Drive meter (either to fill or to damage)...oh and also the balance was insane trash tier so that completely changes how this goes. But that's who I was thinking about when I saw her throw that big fist and just armor right through Manon's jumping kick. Did the same thing with Bane.

As for Manon she should be a slam dunk to me but honestly I agree with SyntheticPolygon, who said that they wished there was a little less ballet and a little more judo in the movies. It's such a naturally beautiful art that is also extremely explosive. I don't mind the unrealism about the combo throws they're making but it just seems a little too floaty. I hope they can get a little more impact into the moves because right now the other characters are sorting of drifting along next to Manon while she makes jazz hands on them. Grab them and get them into the ground hard Manon! You can do it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

drat they got burned on Killer Instinct and now this. Sucks.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It's going to be Zangief and it's never going to stop being Zangief.

JACKHAMMAH!!!!!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Oh sure, we all make fun of the Cammy Fannys, but the Zangief Zaddys are met with acceptance?!?!?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, of those characters, it feels like Rashid was the one who went the most over. Maybe not crazy popular, but he seemed to have had a good deal of affection towards him.

I liked Rashid!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Real hurthling! posted:

I was browsing fully programmable socd cleaners now that capcom decided i need to go full cheater mode to abide by their rules and ensure im good if they change them again and lol some of these small electronics companies have some uh tasteless other products like this suspicious jlf pcb for sale

It's called the shuriken and it's going the wrong direction. Get a grip on yourself.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 30, 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

idk i care more about having cool characters with cool moves than "wind blowing through the leaves and grass" or the ability to spook birds
but I guess I'm not the average consumer which is why why fighting games as a genre sell 1000x less than Red Dead Redemption

It's roughly 3.3 times. 15 million vs 50

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I know I've told this story before, but on MK9 launch day I invited all my old friends over - amazingly everyone could make it - and there were four of us. Although we were all familiar with basic fighting game stuff things rapidly broke down into mashing, spamming, and dumb poo poo - but we were having a good time. Tried tag and all that. None of us had seen the new X-Rays or fatalities so those were making a big impact on us. Anyway, I play the classic Scorpion vs Johnny Cage against my friend and we just beat the piss out of each other, but he (Johnny Cage) won at the end. "Well at least I broke your sunglasses!" I quipped, before Cage reached into his pocket, put on another pair of sunglasses, and flashed a huge poo poo-eating grin at the screen. The room erupted. The game itself has chosen to diss me, and I could only pass the controller as I shrank into a corncob.

Anyway, fighting games are cool. I played SF2 for the very first time on a cross country trip with my parents - the RV broke down in a tiny town of Oklahoma and their CircleK had an SF2 machine for some weird reason. It got its hooks in me so bad that I thought about it the entire rest of the trip and, when we got home, I rode my bike all over town trying to find another one (there was one at the bowling alley, thank goodness.)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mr. Locke posted:

In both SFV and SFVI we've gotten new universal systems that would be the perfect fix for an awkward old character who is sadly nowhere in sight.

Come back buddy, it is time to oil up.

Hell yes!!!

Also if you want to see the real modern Mortal Kombat movie it's called The Night Comes For Us and it's on Netflix.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I have a kid and he was interested in learning both FPS and Fighting Games, and he was able to get the concepts down for FPS way easier.

Obviously you can't compare an entire genre over it's 30 year lifespan to another genre over it's 30 year lifespan. They're not going to match up cleanly. Especially because FPS went from Arena style stuff to the current Extraction/Battle Royale craze. I have some thoughts on that, but nobody gives a poo poo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

In Training posted:

That information has existed for like 8 years at this point. FGs are hard, but the audience shows up for games they like. What games need is:

- good netcode
- good matchmaking
- to be SF or Tekken. And now Guilty Gear after strive.

Doesn't even take all 3 to work. But it helps.

Mortal Kombat, dude.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I had a friend send me the video where Sajam's likeness was stolen for a Guatemalan tech company and he gets roasted/encouraged by his chat for it, and it was very nice and made me smile. "Majas".

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Weird Pumpkin posted:

He does but I will never play Luke!!

Luke's reaction to that would be like "hey man, cool! You just keep being you!"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm just going to assume this person never watches sports of any variety because the amount of inescapable branding and tie-ins in every sport at the professional level is absolute insanity.

Please note that I'm not saying this is ok, but the "I spent money so I shouldn't see advertising" thing doesn't work in pretty much any sector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Endorph posted:

well sports are free on tv.

No, they are not.