Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr. Locke posted:

They were incredibly open that Multiversus was beta. Say what you want about them selling $100 character packs in beta but they never hid the fact that you were putting cash down on an unfinished product and anything otherwise is revisionist history to paint a narrative that doesn't really need a whole bunch lying to already look pretty poo poo.
nah theyre lying scumbags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

even if you do think they were clear that it was a beta there is zero indication anywhere, even on their website, that 'beta' meant 'it will be taken down for a year.' plenty of games have an open beta period that transitions straight into full release with no gap between them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

holocaust denialism. thinking people should have been warned that the beta might get taken down for an extended period of time before spending 100 dollars for an iron giant skin. these are just a few examples of the evils of revisionist history.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

there's no such thing as a paid beta. if you're taking money for it it's a release and calling it anything else is just preemptively going "you're not allowed to be mad at me" because you know there's something to be mad about.
if only those guys with the ai art willy wonka theme park had said it was a 'beta' then being mad at them would have been illegal

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i simply think every executive at warner bros should be in jail and everyone who spent money on multiversus should be under a guardianship. this isnt controversial.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Sajam/status/1769550247003636098

seems like we'll be getting some hxh footage

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

Slayer would be cool but I've seen people point out that Season 3 hasn't had any new characters so I kinda doubt it.

some people have suggested sharon (his wife) and thatd be a really funny reversal thatd fit the themes of strive. shes immortal (which is why slayer can drain her dry in his intros) and theres a random ending where eddie basically explodes after trying to take her over instead of zato, so itd be neat to get more info on her.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

I don’t know much about ABA but that Key Dude looks like he very much does not want to be there.
iunno he looks into it to me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think he just has super armor tbh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like in general

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the teaser had bats in it and then the camera crew cut to a guy in slayer cosplay so yea its slayer

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If you go to that reddit thread its just that guy saying he likes playing mario and people losing their minds at him

Smash ftw

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

poe meater posted:

The discussion is actually quite mind boggling to read through lol. For an old competitive game I'm surprised there's so much agreement on avoiding players of certain characters. Like straight up disconnecting before the match starts.
If anything it seems like it being older is why theyre so grumpy about playing against characters outside the top 8

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You can find it on the ssbm subreddit its from like 2 days ago

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

I didn't know how long ago it would have been and I was trying to do you the courtesy of assuming you weren't the one who downvoted it, lmao
im not....

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only cool thing to happen in melee is amsa winning with yoshi and near as i can tell its because everyone just sort of decided yoshi sucked without even attempting to learn him

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

flatluigi posted:

did the melee community manifest ranked online play for themselves at some point

yea they made a special version of a gc emulator with matchmaking integrated

its legitimately cool as far as tech goes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no genuinely in melee the low tiers just do not exist. this isnt like even, idk, 3rd strike, where there are occasional q or remy low tier warriors. they just literally do not exist. heres the top 100 of the most recent big melee tournament's character representation. how many of that character there were, and the highest position they got

fox: 28 (1st)
yoshi: 2 (2nd)
marth: 14 (3rd)
sheik: 13 (5th)
falcon: 7 (7th)
jigglypuff: 8 (7th)
falco: 17 (9th)
pikachu: 1 (9th)
ice climbers: 1 (17th)
peach: 6 (17th)
dk: 1 (25th)
luigi: 1 (49th)

heres the most recent melee tier list

of the top 100 only 5 people were playing anything outside the top 8 characters in the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and yoshi and pikachu are in the same tier as ice climbers so if you dont want to count them there's literally only two guys playing actual low tiers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

melee has the extremely odd mix of being both very fast in a second-to-second sense but also being very slow and grinding in a match-match sense. it is very hard for a bowser or a ganondorf to scam wins with their power because they have to kill the opponent four whole times. they can usually scam a ko or two but they are unable to even get in or consistently trade with the top tiers due to the absolutely massive gap in speed and neutral tools. likewise a character like mario can, to an extent, play the game, but he lacks killing power. this would be fine if he only had to kill the opponent once, but in a game where he has to kill them four times, hes basically inevitably going to lose the damage race. combine that with most of the lower tiers, even 'heavyweights' like ganondorf and bowser, having pretty bad recovery, meaning they actually die more quickly than most other characters.

the ruleset and metagame are uniquely suited to grind out anyone outside the top tier characters. falcon is both fast and can kill extremely early, he can actually scam out wins in a flashy fashion. fox absolutely dominates neutral and has decent killing power. there's just no real room for low tiers to compete.

compare this to a traditional fighting game. if you look at 3rd strike, q is pretty starved for strong neutral tools, but hes compensated by having fairly high damage and extremely high health (if he can get his taunts off) and a few decent buttons. he can get wins if he picks his spots carefully, and he usually at least has enough time to try and find those chances.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 30, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

flatluigi posted:

it's literally the case for every game people play online competitively, there's nothing new about smash players doing it

edit: actually just read endorph's very good post
uhhhh my post was just about why the meta is the way it is. thats normal. harassing and insulting people for daring to play a low tier anyway is, not normal. its one thing in team games where theres the excuse of it making your team less likely to win but ive never see anyone complain about going up against a low tier warrior in any traditional fighting game, beyond 'ugh i dont know the matchup' or 'ugh that move is cheap' type stuff. ive never seen anyone act like their time was actively being wasted. that bit is weird.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

I can sorta relate to rolling your eyes at the guy who pretends to be like an Amingo main or another quirky answer like Leopaldon but those posts are still insane.
people played amingo tho, he isnt even that bad relative to a lot of the lower tiers in MVC2. hes playableish

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

that post is wild but where does "fedora warrior' or w/e actually come from, id have thought it was just an awkward way of calling someone a redditor but uh, they're on reddit. i guess people here use goon as an insult
its just free association with all the awkward nerd tropes associated with a fedora. redditors use that to insult weird nerds also. even if theyre also weird nerds, as shown here

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this is why every fighting game should be nothing but hyper specific knowledge checks. like eternal fighter zero.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what if milia rage had aegis reflector. these are the questions efz forces you to answer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there are some people who still play sf4 but i havent seen any evidence of a diehard sfv community

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

https://rising.granbluefantasy.jp/en/news/detail/?id=u0pszn-y2e

Get ye GBVSR patch notes here.

66L and brave counter nerfs, whoo
Im glad theyre using a relatively light touch instead of nerfing characters to the ground in a single patch. Nier'll still be really good but thats fine so long as she isnt oppressive

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

I'm pretty sad about the fate of uni2...was hoping for a way bigger pop for that game, and it is more popular than uniel/st/etc but not by a life changing amount. Sad.
bad launch + launching right next to tekken. rip

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

Since we're talking about people getting into fighting games: How do you folks end up deciding on a main? I got SF6 at launch after having played a bunch of SF4 with friends back in the day (and most fighting games to ever hit arcades -but never 'competitively' - since I'm Old As gently caress) and ended up playing... 35 hours? Most of which were spent jumping between characters before somewhat settling on Ken, but then I read everyone online complaining how Ken was op as gently caress and my brainworms did The Thing and tried to get me to play something else so I ended up falling off completely. :shobon:
just play the character you like. people complain about every character that beats them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

personally i just like characters with extremely stupid gimmicks. my first 'main' was suwako in touhou 12.3 who if you dont know has extremely weird movement.

- idly standing counts as crouching
- regular walking forward/backwards happens as hops, she can do aerials during her hop
- crouching makes her make a lily pad beneath her that she stands on and can then hop off of
- forward dashing puts her underground
- she has the fastest backdash in the game
- when she gets knocked down and techs she also goes underground
- her airdash is her flapping her arms to fly
- when shes in the air she can quickly tap down and the dash button to fastfall and put herself in her underground dashing state

as you might expect this leads to the stupidest mix you have ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csrVSNBzMIQ&t=214s

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

strive's been out for ages so thats why theres so many dlc characters. its still really active online tho

if you want tips or anything just watching youtube vids of people playing the character you play can be a good starting point

https://www.dustloop.com/w/GGST

the dustloop wiki is also a pretty good resource

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a lot of anme-styled fighting games dont even have dubs. under night and melty blood dont

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

i really like Strive's dub across the board, and it's fun hearing characters being chatty in a language I understand. i have no doubt I'm missing several iconic jp VAs but the english ones are strong and i'm glad they're getting work
imo the best part of guilty gear's jp cast is norio wakamoto (also voiced cell in dbz, bison in street fighter, and rugal in kof, among many others) getting interviewed about it once and just going 'ive been in that series for 20 years and have no idea what its about, but they keep giving me paychecks.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://slippi.gg/about

this is the main competitive melee netplay thing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

eggrolled posted:

Speaking of Granblue dubs,

https://x.com/NorcalGBVS/status/1774975865228779842

Idk if it happens with the Japanese version too tho
it does thats just a recurring bit those characters have

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 5, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

learning new matchups is a good thing not a bad thing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they referenced the meme in one of the random TV movies so i guess its canon now

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The TV movie is where the meme came from.
no they referenced it more explicitly in another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Reiley posted:

Multiversus is toast. It's completely smoked. That's what they did to it? There's no way.

some people are saying they slowed it down on purpose but if you look at the timer its moving at a normal speed. they 100% made it this slow on purpose lmfao

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: Oh good, you have a new cute avatar.

ty