Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Cruel irony is the Dreamcast having the most brutal d-pad ever made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The Master System still sees active development in Brazil, which makes it the console with the longest lifespan and counting.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The Master System and Game Gear are identical hardware.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Nazzadan posted:

As an oldhead league player but a babby fighting game player, this just connected 2 major dots in my brain.

When Marn's name first surfaced in the pro LoL scene, my immediate thought was "I wonder how long it'll take for this guy to get banned"

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Max Wilco posted:

So was Mike the only person on that show who didn't go crazy?

Mike Ross was the only one who did go crazy, which is why he dropped out of the public eye and lived a normal, quiet life instead.

Marn and gootecks did not go crazy because they were always scumbags from the start.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys I need help I started playing Tekken 7 and some rear end in a top hat is constantly doing roundhouse kick combos at me with Kazuya and I need help to counter that poo poo. How do I counter Kazuya's roundhouse kick.

Press df

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
As somebody who hated Melty Blood prior to this, I actually like the feel of Type Lumina

That's my story, thanks for listening

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Cleretic posted:

So, a weird question about fighting game history, that I feel like someone here has the stupidly esoteric knowledge to answer:

I've heard the story at some point that tier lists were invented specifically to explain how Pet Shop was so much stronger than everyone else in Capcom's JoJo fighter. But when I raised that on Twitter, nobody seemed entirely sure; a lot of pre-2005 fighting game talk is lost. A few people (including me) remember seeing early Melee tier lists, which Pet Shop would predate, but that's the best people could figure on this.

So, is there any truth to that one? When did tier lists get invented, and what stupid thing required them!?

From a bit back, but there is a negative infinity percent chance that this is true. I distinctly remember an issue of GamePro having a tier list for Mortal Kombat 2 with an entire ten point matchup chart and overall totals for each character.

I'm sure they had this for a lot of the big name fighting games, but MK2 is the one they stands out in my head because Reptile was dead last and that made me sad as a child

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Hogama posted:

It's possible that a Tier List in the letter style wasn't even informally made for a while into fighting game history, but yeah I remember stuff like this. Like, I had specifically this issue, even.

Unironically, thank you for posting this because matchup charts like this just scratch my brain in a way that I cannot describe

There's something about seeing those tinted 7s and 8s that makes me happy

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The best super is Ryo's singular punch that stuns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Glagha posted:

I don't see how it can be helpful to have someone running their mix on you and the game is going to be rapid fire slinging

Minus! Plus! Punishable! Counter Hit! Tick Throw!

Okay but what if we mod this into a game, make it as obnoxious as possible, and then make it a mystery tournament game