Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

So I finally downloaded FightCade and decided to try out Karnov's Revenge because I remembered playing it as a kid once or twice, but the only other guy on there was a Brazilian dude who wrecked my poo poo fifteen times in a row with Lee because one combo would dizzy me and the next would bring me to a sliver of health. poo poo's crazy.

A++ will play again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Night Blade posted:

The only reason to play Karnov's revenge is for the boner noise that plays when you get dizzy.

I heard that a lot and just thought Lee got really excited when he Bill Cosby'd somebody in a match. Good to know it's universal.

I'm also trying out Garou Mark of the Wolf, that's a bit more complicated than Karnov's Revenge. Not a ton of info out there, but I THINK I have some very basics down with Gato for now, plus some combo that does like 90% damage in the corner. I thought it would play more like KoF, but turns out I'm pretty wrong on that front. Fightcade is fun.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Zand posted:

what do you mean not a ton of info?

heres some info:

that game loving sucks

also this:
http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Garou:_Mark_of_the_Wolves

there actually is a plethora of info out there for practically every game if you know where to look. srk wiki has poo poo for most of the games that get played on fightcade. between this and youtube you now have enough information to learn for yourself why garou is a monster piece of poo poo.

I looked at the SRK wiki. The general mechanics are outlined pretty well but there's not a ton of info beyond very basic combos for most of the characters (except for Rock Howard for some reason? I guess he's popular despite everybody saying he's awful.)

Like, I was trying to figure out some stuff with Gato but even with youtube there's like two matches where he's being played. I'm sure info is out there, I didn't look that hard, but it's jarring going from newer popular games to fightcade things.

I also didn't realize the game sucked, I have two friends who insist it's the best fighting game ever aside from 3rd strike which I hate. I'm open to suggestions, though.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it some more time tomorrow.

I really only started playing fighting games beyond a casual level late last year, so I'm trying to expand my horizons somewhat considering the only non-SF game I know how to play is KoFXIII. I've played the older Steam KoF games somewhat as well. Glancing at the numbers on fightcade at the moment, aside from KoF 98 and 02 it looks like most people play 3rd strike (in which I have no interest), Marvel vs. Capcom (which I kind of hated) and Vampire Saviour. I think I'll try VSav next.

Any hidden gems that I should be checking out? There's also a bunch of people on JoJo's, maybe I'll give that a shot too. I don't particularly care about the number of people playing, I'm just using popularity as a measure of quality which I realize isn't the best idea.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Zand posted:

using popularity isnt the best idea but its the easiest way to find varied skill levels of players. thats the real trouble with fightcade, when you're bad at any game and if it only has a few people in the room they might be gods. like in the vsav room theres a total of like 10 people that even play and to get to their level its going to take a LOT of grinding. finding bad players like yourself outside of fightcade, like in IRC rooms and in this thread or others and grinding out matches with them can help catch up.

as far as games worth messing around in on fightcade, I personally mess around in quite a few games.

breakers revenge is really fun but its filled with rear end in a top hat players and also you will lose a lot.
xmen cota has like randomly 1 person in the room and its loving BattousaiCV and you will only lose and never win.
karnovs has only killers also...
marvel super heroes is the same...
cyberbots is a cool game with like 2 players... and they are way better than you
xmen vs sf has a medium-sized and varied player pool but its mostly killers..
kof98 and 2k2 are cool because they have a lot of middle-of-the-road players in both rooms from all over the world.
3s has a high variation in skill levels but if you're starting now you're going to be really behind. there are people in there that even I can beat so you probably have a chance.
ST is extremely unforgiving (its in the list as Super Street Fighter II X Grand Master Challenge btw). there are tons of bad players but even people just running gimmicks in this game can be very frustrating.
SFA3 is a horrible game much like garou but its fun for a laugh. lots of good players in the room but mostly mediocre kaillera caliber stars
SFA2 is a decent enough game but the emulation in this current version of FBA sucks so bad. it may be possible to have fun in this game!
jojos... good loving luck. cool game but http://wiki.standcrash.com/index.php?title=Main_Page hit the books if you want to win

oh, and puzzle fighter is on there. i'm trying to play but the people in there are too good.

Fighting randoms on fightcade is fun sometimes but especially when you're just getting started, having battle buddies you can depend on is where its at.

Oh, and IMO the best way to get good at fighting games in general is to play as many games as possible. there does exist a general skillset for playing fighters that can be difficult to develop if you only play a few (especially newer) games

Thanks a ton for the writeup. I tried out COTA and Vsav a bit, but nobody was around to play COTA so I just played on my own. That game seems ridiculous, I was trying out Psylocke and split into a bunch of Psylockes at once but didn't know which one was the real me. Seems fun, even if I had no idea what I was doing. I got demolished in Vsav trying to figure out the basics, so I'll have to go back to that one again later.

Played a long set of Karnov against some dude and was holding my own against his Ryoko, but then he switched to Samchay and beat me ten in a row and then to Ray and ruined me even worse. Some of the stuff in that game seems hard to punish, but I think I should probably be throwing more instead of trying to do combos.

I have no problems losing a ton while I learn, that's basically how I picked up KoFXIII considering the only people still playing it when I picked it up were obsessed with it and absolute killers. Now I can beat two or three people!

Booyah, you're already on my friends' list on steam, we'll have to play sometime soon.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

So Gwyrgyn Blood ruined my poo poo 21 times in a row at Karnov's last night, it was good fun. If anybody else wants to play that ridiculous and dumb game, let me know; there were 10 people in the lobby at one point, but usually there's nobody. Disclaimer: I'm bad.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Speaking of best games ever, I've been playing a lot of KoFXIII again after taking a break for a while. God I love that stupid game.

I've been playing everything on my HDTV because I'm a dumb idiot and don't have a widescreen monitor, but I decided to hook up my old CRT square monitor from 2004 and try playing on that thing to see if the things it made a difference in terms of feeling input lag. So far so good, but it feels pretty ridiculous to be playing on a 16 inch CRT right next to my big HDTV.

I'm looking into getting an actual decent monitor for fighting games. Does anybody have recommendations? It doesn't have to be big, just low input lag. I'd rather be below $250 if possible.

Also if anybody wants to play KoFXIII let me know, I'm just north of Buffalo NY.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

If anybody wants to beat me up in Last Blade 2 I'm trying to learn it, just put time into it for the first time yesterday. I'm on Fightcade right now.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

i'm the dummy waiting for the ps4 release tuesday to pay more money and have fewer opponents

I had no idea it was getting a rerelease, I'm just in an internet tournament for it tomorrow and realized I had never actually played it. Good times.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Cool.

Now come beat me up and teach me how to not suck because I keep getting wrecked by Chileans using moves that don't look like overheads but apparently still hit overhead.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

inthesto posted:

Go ahead and add me on steam. It's been a while since I've played the game at all, but the basics are fairly simple.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/inthesto

Added, thanks. The tournament was today, I came 4th despite only playing the game for two days or so. There weren't many people who knew what they were doing.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

drat. And here I was thinking I was doing good at 229ms.

I've been using a big-rear end HDTV as a monitor for a while and have long suspected that it was causing a noticeable amount of lag when I play fighting games, so I hooked up a really old CRT monitor that I had laying around as a secondary display. I just tested with this site, and with the TV was struggling to get under 300ms. When I switched to the CRT display, I was hitting between 200-230ms. That's a good 4-6 frame difference.

Don't play on HDTVs, everybody.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I bought the humble bundle but already had most of the steam games. I gave away a few; does anybody want a copy of KoF 02UM or Metal Slug 3? Message me on Steam.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Speaking of KOF's, with a series that is so beloved, why are locals non-existent for the series? There is little nothing around in my area at all, and I live in the third largest metro in the country.

You're in the wrong country.

There's actually locals for KoFXIII in Toronto, Canada of all places, and I swear one day I'll get down there for it.

On an unrelated note, someone come teach me how to play Twinklestar Sprites on Fightcade in the next hour or so, I need to learn it for a tournament coming up.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

inthesto posted:

There's something like ten enemy wave patterns in the game. Memorize them all, then memorize all the EX attacks.

There are 36, and I can't figure some of them out.

I get the general idea of the game, I think. Make combos happen, don't reflect back normal attacks if you can avoid them and shoot reflected attacks to do extra attacks / boss attacks if you do enough quickly. I just need practice, I've only played it a handful of times.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Fayk posted:

wait they did ramon after all? rad

Sadly though, no yamazaki no buy

Yamazaki was rumoured for that DLC leak that happened a while back, along with Shingo. Hopefully it's accurate!

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Shiki Dan posted:

It was all 100% bullshit, I'm sorry to say...

Where did you hear that?

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

The director said there are no plans for any DLC, but may explore the issue if demand is there

That's a bummer. I hadn't read that. :(

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Does anybody want Skullgirls from the latest humble bundle?

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=VqyRufYCUZYRKhnX

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Stick chat time!

I've been using my old HRAP EX-SE (The one with Seimitsu parts) for close to a decade now, and the buttons are starting to fail one by one. I decided that while I'm replacing the buttons on it, I should probably replace the joystick too.

It currently has the stock LS-32, which I love, but it's also the only stick I've used for long periods of time. I've fiddled with Sanwa sticks and don't like them as much. I have been reading some reviews on the Hayabusa lever, though, and it sounds like it's pretty solid. Anybody have any experience with it?

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The Zippyy LS-32 clone is really good, it's actually built better than the stock LS-32 in some ways but it's a 100% clone and all the parts are cross compatible. If you don't like Sanwas then avoid the Hayabusa and newer Seimitsu sticks since they're much closer to Sanwas, although the LS-58 is a great stick IMHO. The 56 is supposedly a good mid-point but honestly I'd stick with a 32 since they're very solid, inexpensive and dependable sticks. The Hayabusa is a good stick but it's expensive and if you're used to the throw of old school Seimitsu sticks you're going to probably not like the Hayabusa.

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll try out a 56, but chances are I'll just order another 32, it seems like a safe choice.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Just dreamin of that timely PC release... Can't wait to beat people up with an old man on super steroids.

So I just finished installing a Hayabusa lever in my HRAP EX-SE because the old LS-32 was not in the best shape. It was my first time trying to swap out sticks. It was not pleasant.

First of all, I'm an idiot and didn't realize that the LS-32 was not the LS-32-01, and it did not have a 5-pin connector. The stock stick had each microswitch directly soldered to wires coming off of the PCB, whereas the Hayabusa has each microswitch attached to it's own PCB with a connector that doesn't fit in my stick. Having no idea if it would work or not, I decided to cut the wires to the microswitches on the new lever, remove the Hayabusa PCB, cut the wires of the old joystick, and solder each microswitch onto the PCB wires of the base. Apparently this works.

For the next challenge, the screws holding the stock lever to the mounting plate in my stick were GLUED IN PLACE. I ended up having to hold my soldering gun to the screws to melt the glue before I could crank them out and remove the LS-32. This sucked. I stripped the screws pretty badly in the process. To make matters worse, I had to re-use the screws for mounting the Hayabusa, but I had to use different holes in the mounting plate and turn the stupid thing sideways so it would fit next to the buttons. The new holes were too small for the screws to fit, and nothing at either hardware store would fit them either, so I had to bore them wider by hammering screwdrivers into them and loving around. Eventually I managed to cannibalize two more screws from the restrictor plate of the old lever and use those, but I'd have been more comfortable with four screws rather than just two. It seems okay for now.

At least buttons were easy to replace.

If anybody's planning on replacing a stick, do some loving research and don't be stupid like me. My workload would've been much smaller if I had bought a lever that I didn't have to tear apart in order to get it to fit. Still, the Hayabusa is pretty good so far, and at least I got the drat thing working eventually, and I even came up with some new ways to swear in the process!

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

skit herre posted:

i wonder how long that will stay open :D https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814125

So I haven't even really tried my new stupid mini fight stick but I got a lot of games 'cause I am a crazy person. So what should I play with it first? MKX, Tekken 6, TTT, P4AU, VF5, SC 5, Skullgirls (naah), BlazBlue Calamaty Trigger?

edit newest addition Street Fighter V of course!

C'mon dude, you can't make a sweet custom with words like Hombre and Revolucion on it and then forget to mention KoF, the most mexican of fighters.

Shameful.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Echoing the "Play anything that looks fun to you" sentiment.

As someone relatively new to the genre, the game that looked fun to me was King of Fighters XIII, which I started playing long after new players left the game so everybody was a killer, and started despite having nobody I know play the game, and it having a bad reputation for being incredibly hard to get into, and needing to learn three characters instead of one, and....

The point is, if it looks fun, anything that sounds bad will fade away because you'll have fun figuring all of this stuff out. Don't be afraid to drop things that don't mesh with you, right now is a great time to get into fighting games. There are a multitude of amazing free games available on Fightcade with a lot of people playing, Tekken 7 looks amazing (and Tekken has always been tons of fun to mess around with if you don't really know what you're doing too), KoFXIV just got announced for steam (GET THIS AND PLAY IT, it's so much fun and KoF is faster paced and movement feels soooo gooooood), SFV is pretty simplistic and has a lot of leeway for newer players, especially if you're willing to put in some time, get beat up a lot and learn from goons.

As for reaction times, give this a read. It should help put things into perspective.

You'll have a lot of fun if you like to analyze and try to improve things on your own, and even more fun if you don't mind tracking down like-minded players who can give you pointers, and this community has always been great for that as far as I've experienced.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

The sad thing is that the PSN version also has a number of bugs. The past few days I've had several matches just end in a freeze or become desynced. You know when the last one happens because the other guy is getting hit non-stop and the round ends into an endless black loading screen. Every patch so far has introduced new bugs when fixing old ones.

I just got a refund, will probably buy it on the cheap in a couple months instead.

I was getting probably 3/4s of my matches ending in freezes or disconnects for the last two days, but the patch today seems like it's been a lot better. I managed to play a dozen games with no issues, other than a ton of slowdown when I tried to play someone in Brazil, but that's definitely not the fault of the game.

Still a few problems, especially if you're a keyboard player apparently, but considering the rate they're patching things up I'm hopeful.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Keegers posted:

Is it just me or is Tekken one of the easier fighters to learn starting out? Like you can put up a good fight by just learning good movement and pressing 1, 2. Of course bdc and ewgf and the depth of tekken is huge time investment. But for day one players it isn't that hard.

I've got an 11 game win streak on ranked right now, and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. Just blocking, punishing and whiff punishing well means I'm apparently the bane of new players everywhere.

Also not pressing the button to super the exact second I get rage.

It's fun.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

HMS Beagle posted:

I think it's perfectly reasonable to suggest that if a game is going to have characters separated into zoner, rushdown, or grappler on the character select screen they should go one step further and actually define what those terms mean.

I don't disagree that things could be explained a bit better, but there is a point where you have to expect a player to learn some stuff without being hand-held. Explaining what a grappler or zoner is in principle is nice, but until you actually play the drat game you won't get a feel for what they really mean anyway, especially with the differences that can exist in archetypes. I agree whole-heartedly that games could explain terms better, and Tekken 7 was a good example of this for me recently (with acronyms in combo lists being really hard to parse and google didn't offer immediate answers either), but I still played on and figured it out eventually. My point being, if you're the type of player who is going to stop playing a game because you don't know what zoner means and you want to play the character but won't look into things yourself, you aren't going to put effort in to actually play the game beyond starting it once and getting annoyed that you aren't an expert right away. Fighting games just aren't for you if you aren't willing to put in some effort, and I say this after disagreeing with most (but definitely not all) of the elitist poo poo that Zand says in this thread on a weekly basis.

I am a filthy 09'er though.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Sorbocules posted:

I probably didn't get my point across properly, but it wasn't about me trying to call fighting games bad about any of the things I mentioned (at least, not intentionally), just that they were things that I call barriers for new and inexperienced players, and when Sirlin says "I'm breaking down the barriers to make the gateway game" then I'm going to call him out on it if the barriers are just as big as ever, or if he half-asses the solution. Basically, there was nothing in fantasy strike that isn't done better by guilty gear's tutorials, just it doesn't have anyone claiming "gateway game".

Like I brought up the fighter archetypes because he just plops those down without explanation, and expects the new player to stop and look it up, or ask their friend on the couch if there is one. But that information is best learned by just picking a character and seeing them in action rather than "oh, well this guy is this archetype", because the new guy doesn't know the archetypes by name.

my point on that was if you have a friend who never played a fighting game before with you on your couch, would you say "character A is a zoner" or would you say "character A throws projectiles/uses knockback moves to control the field and maintain a certain distance"? Because the game does the first, when the 2nd is much closer to what the new player actually needs to know, and most people wouldn't and couldn't give their new friend on the couch a list of archetypes crosschecked by how well a character fits into them, or wait for the friend to google it.

If you have a friend who has never played a fighting game on the couch, they would glean just as much knowledge from "This character is a zoner" as they would from "This character controls the field and maintains distance" because they have no idea how to do that. Explaining terms is not the problem with fighting games. A new player doesn't need to pick a character based on how to optimally play them, they need to pick a character that looks cool and feels fun to play to them, regardless of whether or not they're playing them "correctly." If they've played fighting games before then they can worry about how to play a character right, but then they don't need explaining what zoning is. Definitions are not what is difficult about starting fighting games lol

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

anime was right posted:

The biggest issue with lovely players is usually they're interested but have no one equally lovely to grind the necessary 100 hours wrh before they can fight randos and actually enjoy it

I mean I'm not "good" but I've been playing these games "seriously" for a couple of years now and I started mostly grinding out KoFXIII matches long after all of the bad players left. It's not so bad. You just need someone to play with, they don't necessarily have to be on your level, just someone patient to help you learn. I think I had a <13% win ratio after grinding it out for a year; it's a personal thing and people will try to list excuses, and chief among them is "there's nobody on my level"

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Cis Lord posted:

He got rid of high/low but kept cross-ups.
He got rid of throw teching and replaced it with the yomi counter.
He got rid of dashing(two inputs in a row) but kept combos {two to three inputs in a row) (Although this may be due to the 8 frame thing)

Seems pretty arbitrary to me, since putting them in would not increase the execution barrier in any way. Sure, he didn't mention those things in the description so maybe that's why you're confused, but I'm not the only person to point this out. I don't remember how others described it, but I think arbitrary is a fair word.

I feel like you're not understanding. Getting rid of one of the ways to get mixed up by not blocking right definitely leads to "ease of play," whether you think he took the right one out or not is kind of irrelevant because I'm sure he has his reasons, considering he made the game this way. If you're arguing that he should have taken out both, we can talk about that I guess, but that's a pretty hilariously naive stance to take.

I thought yomi counters were throw techs? Am I misunderstanding here? I haven't played Fantasy Strike and I probably won't.

Dashing and combos are so completely different that I don't think you're arguing in good faith here. Sirlin seems to think one is more important than the other for a good fighting game experience, so he got rid of one; he's not obligated to get rid of ONLY the hardest things, trimming the fat is for things that are burdensome, not just hard. I don't agree with getting rid of dashes, but there are games that don't have dashes that play really well (including Super Turbo, which Sirlin is kinda fond of I imagine, and Karnov's Revenge, which is amazing.)

There comes a point where players will need to try to put some effort in to something. I can't imagine anybody thinks that a new player should be able to stand with a veteran of anything, but it sounds like that's the point people are arguing anyway.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Cis Lord posted:

OK, you don't provide any specific reasons or make any concrete statements Here is the dictionary definition of arbitrary

based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.

When you say "Sirlin seems to think/reason (decision) is good for the game" that precisely falls under the definition of arbitrary. So what you literally just said is his decisions are arbitrary.

Just because you don't understand somebody's reasons doesn't mean they didn't have any; just because you don't understand someone's decision doesn't make it arbitrary.

Even if he did throw darts at a board to make these decisions, that doesn't mean they don't lead to "ease of play" or whatever he said.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Why do people prefer ST-type throws to one- or two-button throws?

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Or play KoFXIV! It's like SF, but faster, has more damage and cooler combos, more characters, and you get to play three on a team! (It's actually not at all like SF but it's not an airdasher unless you play Shun'Ei)

It's also not nearly as hard to get in to as previous games in the series. I find it a ton easier than GG, but I have been playing it for a while.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Dias posted:

Those aren't even bnbs, really. Tekken doesn't really have bnbs per se anyway, since teaching people juggle combos is probably a bad idea anyway.

What? Why would that be a bad idea?

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Dias posted:

i'm not sayin' you shouldn't teach them shitposter[...]

Dias posted:

[...], since teaching people juggle combos is probably a bad idea anyway.

You can see why that's a confusing thing to think/say. When I start a new fighting game the first thing I do is look up a decent punish combo and a decent blockstring. I'm not used to 3D fighters but took the same approach to Tekken, it just meant I needed to find more than just one combo and/or blockstring and I had to put more emphasis on certain moves having advantage, etc.

Not teaching people juggle combos is silly. If you meant that the game shouldn't teach that as the first thing ever when you boot up the game, fine, I guess that's understandable. That's not what I took from your post. I still think learning a decent punish combo is a good first step to learning a new game, and Tekken was no exception for me even if that combo was qcf+2 (I play Paul).

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

OSad posted:

That's fair but GG isn't a good venue for that, the chat is a little awkward to access, has a stupid character limit and closes after sending through just one message, which is pretty stupid as a whole.

It also doesn't make it as convenient as other fighting games for you to switch characters in case you wanna take it easy on somebody. If you've got a line of three people on a machine and only one of them is a scrub, you're probably not going to go out of your way into character select and switch to something else to give the scrub a better fighting chance, you're gonna keep your main selected and jump back into the fire ASAP.

I had one person very kindly switch from a Ky to a Potemkin today versus me trying to pick up Elphelt, and at this point, I must've played against close to a dozen people over the course of a couple of weeks. Are they wrong for not switching characters against a badder player? Of course not, but GG should at least make it so that you have to select your character as you accept a match from a machine, and not have that tucked away in an extra step.

That's no guarantee, maybe the dudes really just wanna chill out and play their best characters. I feel like that'd help a little bit though.

I know when I'm playing KoF and find a new player I'll play the B and/or C teams and I still generally wipe the floor with them. A good player switching away from their main won't automatically make you do better or understand why you're losing, it's more the player that's good and not necessarily the character.

Echoing the statement that the best way to get better is to play people better than you, but not just playing them. Talk to them and find somebody that has the time and patience to help you improve. If the game doesn't allow that, do it externally via discord or steam. It's easier than ever to find someone to mentor you.

Quick story. The first fighting game I took beyond a supreme casual level was KoFXIII, which is notoriously difficult. Before I hopped online, I spent literally months watching videos of how to play, seeing which characters clicked for me, studying combos and learning about fighting game terminology and more advanced tactics like frame traps, etc. I slaved away in training mode daily until I could land combos for each of my three characters ten times in a row from either side of the screen without dropping anything, and I did this for a combo for each level of meter (in that game, you have a stock meter and a "drive" meter, which allows you to cancel moves into other moves. I learned combos for 0-5 bars and 0,50% and 100% drive for each level of bar I was using, which is a ridiculous amount of combos.) I learned how much damage everything did so I could be sure to be efficient with my meter. I had ~100 hours clocked in the game without touching anything but training mode, and THEN I hopped online. I took my computer downstairs so I could connect to the router directly so lag wouldn't be an excuse. It took forever to find a match, because the game had been dead for three years already. When I DID finally find a match, I got OCV'd (one-character victory) by some guy's Ralf (who's low tier) even though he didn't do any combos, and really only full jumped into lows every single time, for all three of my characters, and then he beat me twice more before leaving. I was PISSED. I spent all that time learning, and some dude who couldn't even combo beat me without using anything I'd learned about, because I was learning the complete wrong way. It was eye opening. Then I pumped another six hundred hours into the game actually playing it, had a lot more fun than I was having, and got decent.

Don't be afraid to lose, and don't tell yourself you lost because the other guy wasn't "playing right" or catering to your level. Set goals for yourself that don't involve winning entire matches or sets, but small things to take it slow. Watch replays later if you don't understand why you lost, taking some time to relax a bit first. Chat with people on here, too. My neutral game got a lot better when players like Lenin and Foodahn taught me street fighter 4, and Thwack and Little Baby Anime taught me specifics relating to KoF, whether they're aware of it or not. If you aren't having fun learning even when you're losing, you aren't learning the right way for you.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i like kof14 a lot but have yet to find an online match

gonna check my router later, but gd ko14 is cool and fun

PC or PS4? What region are you in?

Add me on steam for games in KoFXIV (or XIII but I'm out of practice)(or Karnov's), I'm in southern Canada.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Kikkoman posted:

Is southern Canada Vancouver Toronto or Montreal?

Close to Toronto, just north of NY. SW Ontario.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

There's an online KoF98 tournament this coming saturday on fightcade if anybody's interested, NA only. No prizes or anything but it's KoF98 so play anyway, there will be a few bad players and a few good players so everybody welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Crocoswine posted:

In motion XIV looks fine, I think. It's only in screenshots that I really go "oh god what the gently caress am I looking at"

does anyone play this poo poo on the PC, cuz I'm mostly only able to get matches against a) people from china or b) people who go one match with me then leave in disgust when they stomp me because I'm so incredibly bad

Sure, add me on steam, I play constantly. I also play XIII and have been trying to get into 98 if you're interested.

There's also the dream cancel discord that's good for finding matches, there are some newer players there too.