Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
I wish million Arthur was coming to pc :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

10 dollars for the base game when it has a f2p model is too much

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

shrek super slam

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Graphic posted:

It's a little bit sad when you have fond memories of an old fighting game, something besides a major one like SF or Tekken, you search YouTube "[old fighting game] tournament" and you see how completely unbalanced and horrible the gameplay actually was, and that it was actually a really horrible fighting game, you just weren't playing it nearly to it's potential.

Decided to search for a Last Blade 2 tournament just to see what top level play is, and it's literally just people jump attacking each other over and over with heavy attacks. I wanted to see some crazy poo poo. SamSho seems to be the same with no one attacking until they get the absolute perfect set up to take half the life bar; half the matches go to timeout because I mean it literally that no one attacks.

At least Garou seems like one that actually was really well balanced, high level play is real fun to watch.

lmao at this entire post btw, the punchline is good

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

anime was right posted:

sonic fox is the first top player we've had that isnt a dirtbag, im pretty sure

don't get too enamored just because he's started talking politics. remember, he will switch sides in an instant

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

:eyepop:

e: Oh man that's a lovely snipe.

Is there anything with good netcode coming out in the near future? I haven't really been paying attention to indie FG releases, anything post-Them's Fighting Herds would be news to me.

lethal league blaze just came out

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

wear whatever you want. I support people wearing ahegao shirts at fighting game events

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't think you have to be an rear end in a top hat, but I do think (despite what Zand says) that you have to have a bit of an ego.
you need enough pride and self worth to care about winning and improving but not so much that you cry from losing on netplay

Zand fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 2, 2018

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

anime was right posted:

lol i invited him for dbfz and he left like a day later which i mean i cannot blame anyone for that

yeah dbfz got boring after basically 1 day

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Pomp posted:

Who among you will look me in the eyes and say that Marn cleans up after cranking off

comparing sonic fox to marn as a defense of sonic fox

next loving level

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Sometimes I still find myself amazed when I see Japanese footage above 240p. What a time to be alive

and when the sound for everything comes out of both channels it's like I'm in a dream

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

darealkooky posted:

whens fightcade gonna have street fighter the movie

never it doesnt run on fba at all :(

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

Is Tekken really better on controllers? What about motions like HCBs or moves like EWGFs?

its not better, but some people prefer it. tekken has long been played on controllers, the tekken 5 arcade machine had psx controller ports in it even. qcf and hcb are not particularly hard on pad

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Pomp posted:

since when do people face consequencesi n the fgc im outraged

dark prince was banned from evo over 10 years ago for threatening someone online

capcom had previously banned noel brown from cpt for inappropriately touching someone at an event (2016)

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Wasn't he also the guy who was inappropriately punching people at events? How do you let someone back after that?

the guy he punched was on crutches too

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

AttackBacon posted:

This is probably a doomed effort since everyone has obviously decided that I'm dog whistling or some poo poo, although I don't think my take was even that nuanced, but here goes, then I'll drop it.

I'm strongly on the side of punish him and ANY domestic abuser, but if that report is true then the stuff about him beating her bloody isn't true, and after the incident she tried to get back in his good graces to take money from him, had people plant false evidence of cheating to character assassinate him, etc etc. Like obviously I think men should be held to a stricter standard in these situations due to the historical context of male abuse and the power differential in almost all domestic abuse cases. But that doesn't mean she was not a dirtbag as well (note I am NOT saying "See, she deserved it!", no one deserves ANY kind of domestic abuse). I had entirely written him off as an irredeemable rear end in a top hat before I read that report, and I still think he hosed up big time, but it gives a lot more context and doesn't make her look good at all. Of course that is all contingent on the veracity of the report but it seems as well researched as it could be in the circumstances. They released him after all.

I'm just saying it's a poo poo situation all around and that makes me sad, whereas at least if she wasn't an rear end in a top hat too I could feel better about making GBS threads on him. I feel like SA should be a place where people can understand a nuanced take like that? I'm not going to get into it anymore because I've seen how these thread dogpiles go but I think it's a reasonable take on it.

nobody cares shut up

does anyone want to talk about fighting games

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

I think it's tempting to paint people like Mike Ross as standing up for some grand ideal, but in reality it seems like he just doesnt like getting dicked around and played by people with ulterior motives

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

i mean, that's still worth a 'good for him' as far as i'm concerned

yeah for sure, wholeheartedly agree. it's not easy to just walk away.

it's not like mike Ross totally hated all the eSports poo poo anyway, he was the star of a g4tv documentary about "pro fg players" called Focus. poo poo changed and he left when it wasn't worth it anymore.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

battle for the stones for mvci had rigged brackets among other things

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Crocoswine posted:

there's a cat, he seems nice

nine hosed it

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

my jack7 costume was the epitome of gritty realism. he had 4 wheels for hands and feet, stunna shades, and a headlamp

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the fact that you can make silly character costumes doesn't negate literally every other part of the game's aesthetic

i only played the character creator and training mode with the music off

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4QS2uRwaVY

its hard to compete with ttt2

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCymmQGKexI
and this

Zand fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 18, 2018

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

So has the FGC gone full esports or is there still resistance from people? I do think that good players should be taken care of and be paid reasonably well, I guess (bold of me to assume that pro gamers in esports are treated well, but I digress).

its a complicated relationship but there are definitely still people with esports money in their sights trying to exploit the fgc

heres an example of a failed push from capcom, with this video citing the "rich history" of marvel gaming (accidentally uploaded to twitter by the guy that made it a while back)
https://streamable.com/i5k4p

although mvci did fail, esports folks have managed to repackage the stuff about the old fgc that people really liked and sell it back to new generations of players. we've had tournaments that had pop-offs worked into the schedule, multiple fgc reality tv shows, and sponsored game selections at evo for years. the fgc used to be more about players but as the esports disease spreads, its obvious that the future for the fgc is a spectator instead of player focus.

the basic plan from capcom for example involves pumping money into the capcom pro tour as bait to get people to play SFV. Nether Realm Studios (the mk/injustice people) will usually pump money into prize pools for already established tournaments to create hype for their new releases and guarantee players to play their games (and therefore advertise them). this approach really sucks btw, it creates a bubble of interest around the games from manufactured hype and out of control prize pools for games that have low staying power on their own. when the bubble pops and the funding for prize pools dries up and the interest cant be drummed up anymore, a new game comes out and the cycle repeats. esports is really tiresome.

the "resistance" is around but people dont talk about it that much in any constructive way

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

So if the big corporations succeed in controlling the FGC, then events will be focused on their newest stuff, because they want to sell those games which may or may not be what the players want? (i.e. SFV vs 3S/Super Turbo)

It's quite a lot to think about for me. I like old games but I'm not sure if I'll want to watch Melee or MvC2 20 years from now, but I'm not stopping people who want to organize a tournament on those games. OTOH it is quite tiresome for players (and spectators) to hop on the next big thing, if you don't like the new game system of Tekken 8/9/10 then sucks to be you.

i dont think anyone wants a scene consisting solely of old games. i think people want games that are as good as old games instead of way loving worse. moving on to new games over time is not the problem, but the way its basically "forced" is, and its where that force is coming from too. a group of people playing games and organizing tournaments together is a community. a group of people watching games and buying games that companies tell them to is just a company's target audience. the difference between the feel of a local and a major has always been huge, but its never been more different than it is now.

Zand fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 19, 2018

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

dragon enthusiast posted:

I think MLG was the ones who did the "continuation rule" as kind of a twist on bracket reset

basically if players ran into each other again in bracket they'd start again at the old score. So if you lost a FT5 set 3-5 then fought the same player again, it'd become a FT10 with the score already at 3-5

this is extremely hosed up

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Veib posted:

Guilty Gear (the original bad one) turned 20 in May
the "bad one"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP79wXWV0cM

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Blade Arcus is the Shining fighting game. it is one of the worst feeling fgs I have ever played, I encourage anyone reading this to try the demo on steam

https://store.steampowered.com/app/446040/Blade_Arcus_from_Shining_Battle_Arena/

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There are more SNK Heroines characters scheduled through to March, apparently. Is anyone here still playing?
was anyone ever playing this?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

i dont get why this video wants to end on such a melancholy note. the entire buildup is to the climactic Setting Free of Evo 2011, but its immediately followed by footage of spooky doing grunt work interspersed with interview clips of 2018 spooky saying he gets no real satisfaction from streaming and that it's "just a job" and seth saying the same things about spooky too. spooky carried the entire fgc on his back for years and he didn't stop after evo 2011. and teamspooky is a pillar of the community

and why is it called a teamspooky documentary when it just covers only spooky anyway

if anyone wants to watch something similar to this, here is a link to Focus, the Mike Ross Documentary from 2010 https://archive.org/details/g4tv.com-video54396-flvhd

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

I will always remember spooky vs funkdoc being posted on worldstar

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Endorph posted:

of all the things people ive seen sonicfox be called after that speech, 'influencer' is the worst

he is paid a salary to be a living advertisement. he is an influencer

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Dracula Factory posted:

I'll get MK11 if they redid all the animations and made them good but I bet they didn't do that.

if it wasnt "stylized" to look and play like poo poo it just wouldn't be an nrs game

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

breaking news

https://twitter.com/eventhubs/status/1071602578432114689

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Canadian posted:

Higher damage, what? Maybe when the game was new and everyone was doing poo poo combos danage was low but that ain't now. DBFZ is effectively a 2 touch kill per character game as long as your team is optimized.

Better defensive options I will agree with though.

better defensive options exactly, what we need is for dbfz matches to take even longer

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Canadian posted:

Its a versus game. Matches take longer than normal fgs. I know you like to complain for the sake of complaining but come on.
im not complaining, im talking poo poo about a bad game. "complaining" assumes that i have a positive enough view of dbfz that i could be disappointed by it

games a slog, feels slow and is slow. also its uninteresting (and slow) compared to other assist games. it was fun for a bit and then boring, and as a spectator and player both it very quickly became stale. i dont want to watch anymore cinematics

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

people seemed excited about Ryozo Tsujimoto, the monster hunter guy, getting assigned to sfv. with sfv sponsored content being basically the first order of business i can't wait to see what else he has in store for the fighting game genre

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Reiley posted:

The best thing about the SFV ads, aside from them being literally plastered onto the character models, is that in the video and screenshots of them it seems like the ad decals themselves aren't affected by the game's lighting. No matter where they are on the character or what the light or shadow situation is around them they stand out as the exact values of the raw ad graphic, they don't even blend into the characters in a way where they can be overlooked. It's amazing.

the implementation is unbelievably garish

i remember there was a fan made patch to quicken up the game load times, because the game was stalling for so long before entering a match for no reason (according to the person who made the patch). now there is an ad in that time frame. were ads and their eventual implementation the reason why the "load" times were like this to begin with?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

this makes so much more sense than putting the Alien alien in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

rumor is saying Nintendo said no to smash and bamco said no to dbfz at evo jp. markman kinda confirmed it. how will this play out for regular evo?