Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

When people ask me "What was China like?!?" I tell them that it was like a goblin camp from The Lord of the Rings.

raton fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Chinese Farmers know how to let their hare down in the year of the Rabbit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pnQ6XbcxWw

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

angel opportunity posted:

I visited a Chinese farmer in Hangzhou named Dragon. He lived in a two story farm house with his wife, and people always came over to his place to drink and play cards. Some old ladies showed me around the nearby tea fields, and dragon's wife gave me a delicious ear of corn they grew themselves

lol

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

sincx posted:

Ironic racism is still racism.

I'm not saying some of the posts in region.jpg threads are never racist but you're either insane or don't know what ironic means

Or both

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

sincx posted:

It's called FYAD. Feel free to go there if you don't like the fact that GBS has rules, and always had them. See how long you last.

FYAD isn't what you think it is either.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

angel opportunity posted:

tie guan yin gives you the best introduction to chinese tea because it trains you to focus on the fragrance and aesthetic rather than the gulp down the venti chai tea latte style mindset

In the US the most reliable real Chinese tea supplier is a company called Ten Ren. They are Taiwanese as well which means not only are they the heart and soul of Chinese tea but they are less likely to ship you poison in a sachet.

Their Tung Ting oolong is my go to. Their website is pure rear end, just deal with it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ravendas posted:

TianRen or TienRen too I think they're named. I used to walk passed one of their stores every day in Taipei. Tons of huge canisters of expensive tea to choose from. I loved the wulong lu cha, which is oolong green tea, though it's not actually a mix of them despite the name (I'm told.)

Their tea is legit good, and yeah as you mention it's Taiwanese, so far less likely to kill you and even more Chinese than China's tea.

They have physical branches in the US too where they've gone with Ten Ren as the official spelling.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Great Autismo! posted:

people in tianjin call it 老坦儿 "laotanr", pronounced "laotar"

i've posted this a few times in the old thread, no one uses the n-word for calling people hillbillies in tianjin

Too bad "laotard" sounds like SEA slander instead of Mainlander Slander, salamander

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Darkest Auer posted:

For fans of Chinese food (and who isn't) I would recommend the Party approved documentary A Bite of China. It was actually really good, the directing was excellent, even though getting used to the narrator's voice took a while because he sounded like some random English teacher they just grabbed off the street. Trigger warning though: contains images of farmers.

These are all over Youtube with subs by the way.

Episode one used to play on a loop in my favorite "Choose 3 1 price" restaurant in my little Chinatown in NYC.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Modest Mao posted:

make one with some good posting guidelines

lol gently caress off

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If there's a loving China thread with posting rules forget it

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Modest Mao posted:

It's interesting how ill-suited some asian languages are for the cockpit. I heard an anecdote about Korean pilots being required to speak English because the (I know nothing about the korean language) conjugation and pronoun choice needed for a co-pilot to address his superior, the pilot, are very awkward to use to when correcting someone.

The breaking of Korean cultural norms in order to fix Korea's horrible air safety record is like the foundation myth for corporatism but from what I remember they just chose English because a) it wasn't Korean and b) the cockpit crews had to speak it anyway due to international regulations for pilots. I don't think they got into the pronoun issues.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ceciltron posted:

You know that notion of how Corporations are naturally externalising entities? Pretend every person saw themselves as a corporation, and their parents were the shareholders. That's it. No other responsibilities.

This is way more accurate than it has a right to be lol

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Woah, free fucken melon chunks! a housewife thinks to herself, gathering up a few plastic shopping bags.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ccs posted:

Is Haier going to stop by this thread to tell us more of his crazy stories about China/fortune telling/traveling around with an older Chinese woman and having adventures? Because that's all I kept up with the last China thread for. Incredibly entertaining.

Anyway I've never been to China but most people I've met from there have been cool. And some were very smart and equal in critical thinking skills to any westerners, and a much better work ethic than I do. Though I also met one really rich and lazy/untalented girl who left Canada to go back to China when she couldn't hack it here.

Emigration is very difficult, especially going from a 3rd to a 1st world country. The Chinese (or Indians or French or loving whatever) you meet in your native country have the grit and are willing to take big risks to make that transition. They're the best of the best of where they're from, otherwise they'd have to stay.

If you go to China you'll see some rapist bum sleeping against a house, mad at you that you're stealing his women.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Lupin posted:

I feel like the movie, "Up The Yangtze", should be watched by anyone with a genuine interest in the life of rural Chinese.
It's a bit hard to describe it in a few sentences, but it follows the lives of a couple of teenagers - one privileged and one poor farmer- adapting with their families to modern (2008 era) China.
It's anti-CCP, compassionate towards poorer "nong"-families, and does a good job of showing the short-sighted greed of some of the newer-generation in China while at the same time showing how hosed over some of the good-hearted people in China are.
It'll make even the most cold-hearted goon shed a tear for some poor chinese farmers, and curse the ccp and greedy new-money generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwpw6E2oVmQ

It's by a Chinese-Canadiann director, and available on PBS, torrents etc..

Please don't make me think of the few good people in China who have to deal with and possibly even dream to change their hosed up hole of a country. It's honestly almost unbearable.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Fojar38 posted:

i would like to get seperated from the tour group and get lost in the untouched chinese wilderness only to be found by a wise hermit-sage who teaches me the ways of kung fu

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Fojar38 posted:

its going to stagnate and eventually turn inward and become irrelevant again

lol like there's any historical precedent for that brah

next thing you tell us you're gonna be saying "peasant revolt" or "mongols" or some poo poo

likely story bro likely story

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

china has had 3000 years of unbroken civilization in the same way that America is a province of the Roman Empire

*Fat Italian in the room perks up

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Great Autismo! posted:

the thing about the 5,000 years of history is two-fold for me. if people want to tell me about china's 5,000 years of history (and trust me...they do), that's cool. i get it, and it is something to be proud of, even if it isn't 5,000 years. chinese history is cool and interesting.

what gets me is 1) the ridiculous fetish of it, how people claim it like it is something that makes china so superior to other countries. that's bad enough, but then 2) i walk outside, after listening to someone fetishize this incredible unbroken string of years of history, culture and society, and i see some person cheerleading their 7 year old child while the kid is making GBS threads all over the sidewalk outside of a starbucks, while everyone just walks by and does nothing. well, one person may hawk up a huge loogie and spit it out as he walks by, and another may stare at the one white person, one might even scream "OK LA!" as i walk by.

it doesn't matter how many years of history and culture you have if this is the culture you currently have

I also have an objection to the occasional "5000 years" from someone who only cares about his bitcoin farm and hasn't read a poem or any of the history from their culture since they were forced to in high school.

Name your daughter Poetry and then discourage her continuously from the age of 5 to the age of 55 from doing anything that doesn't involve making money.

raton fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 17, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The question about which nation is the oldest really depends on how much fuzz you allow on uninterrupted nationhood. If you allow for zero fuzz I think it's probably actually the US, but I don't really know.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Gouqi Island near Shanghai

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2015/06/an-abandoned-fishing-village-on-gouqi.html?m=1

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Could someone repost he pictures of the country gentleman booting the cherry tree and then spreading his arms in bucolic delight as someone takes a photo of him for his ripoff Chinese Facebook?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed the one guy who tried to rezz his teammate

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Centripetal Horse posted:

I have questions.

How are there so many independent bulldozeries operating in China? I feel like heavy equipment street battles are exactly the sort of thing Communism is supposed to prevent.

Does the Chinese government get embarrassed when these sorts of shenanigans leak onto the internet? I know there are a gazillion Chinese people, and the government isn't responsible for every stupid thing someone does, but I get the impression that the Chinese government is, let's say, hands-on.

The best parts of the video are ~40 seconds, when the alpha dozer defeats the young upstart and mounts its corpse - I seriously expected it to roar - and a few seconds later, when a teammate of the felled dozer comes over and tries to right it using his bucket.

Honestly outside of its pet concerns I think the Chinese government is less likely to do anything about anything than what we see in the US, unless someone in it feels passed over for a bribe.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

oohhboy posted:

Is it racist when they already consider you a race traitor? I am "Chinese" by their definition but like hell if I am getting called that. I rather be a British Bastard dog than Chinese.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nUkiaDS3g4
gently caress this guy. If there ever was a Nong, he is it. The comments are a 50 cent brigade poo poo show.

gently caress China btw. Remember that the CCP and China are one!

Wow what a lunatic loving oval office

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman Crossing posted:

If you visit China from the United States can you bring a gun? I usually have a handgun on me and it would be nice if I could carry it in China (concealed of course). Then if some China moped gang got up to some shenanigans I could go all Charles Bronson and be like "this is how we do things in the land of the free."

An honest question phrased as though you were trolling, unique style, +1 posting points

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

oohhboy posted:

Here is a cool post from the Military History thread about the Opium Wars.
If they post anymore good stuff I will cross post it.

I like how almost every time a foreign power (other than the Mongols or Japanese of course) take over a Chinese municipality the locals there breathe a huge sigh of relief lol

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

effectual posted:

What are some traditional chinese farmer songs? Is there like a mandarin version of old mcdonald?

Lotta Chinese people know this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fco83e124FE

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Japan superior

I know it shouldn't but this really drove me up the wall in China. Almost every country on Earth calls it a "computer" with some kind of regional pronunciation malformation. Not China.

One or two pre-1900s stubborn spots are okay (like pineapple in English) but when you feel it necessary to have your own different sounding word for every little bit of tech since then so your feelings don't get hurt you're just being silly.

raton fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 22, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ImmovableSquid posted:

All those tea posts from a few days ago got me interested in trying some of this TenRen tea. I live and work in the lower east side of Manhattan I stopped by one of the New York locations on my walk home.

I had some trouble communicating that I wanted to try a really "good" tea (never been much of a tea drinker before) to the sales person who took it as an opportunity to try and find the most expensive tea to sell me. Here's what I ended up with:

The expensive "good" tea is on the right, I got to try a small paper cup of it. It was pretty tasty! Also pictured are two of their cheapest teas (to compare and because a friend grew up in a town that grew Jasmine Tea) and 8 oz of their Earl Grey blend (smells great, taste is...very mild?) Supposedly those included documents were brewing instructions, but it's just a bunch of random tea facts.

Bonus picture of that cool weird lamp in the background:

For a while the NYC TenRens had a poster out front that said "Ten Ren: favored tea of Hollywood actor Rob Schneider!" with a headshot of Rob Schneider holding a photoshopped bubble tea. It's good tea but lol at the East Asian retard marketing style leaking over the border.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The one I saw was different but you get the idea.

I posted a picture of it in the NYC LAN thread years ago.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Photo project involving a pedestrian bridge in China's "Chocolate" city, meaning there's black people there:

http://www.xiaobeilu.org/

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Mistle posted:

It's my observation that China is really good at copying

raton fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 22, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nanomashoes posted:

Why do you not believe the plant is safe? But anyway, 300,000 people depend on it, so it does not matter if it is safe or not. It must be.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Modest Mao posted:

actually it's really good and sensible and identical to what english did. We talked about this in the last thread. Chinese blows at using phonetics to borrow foreign names or words, and also kinda has the 'everyone should learn our language, not us learn their mongrel tongue' thing historically

English just used foreign words, mostly greek and some latin, for tech, because english knew it was the mongrel tongue. Chinese used words people readily understood.

Telephone = far away sound
電話 = electric words

Aeroplane = flat surface in the air
飛機 = flying machine

electricity = comes from amber
電 = lightning

electrocardiograph = electric heart drawing
心電圖 = heart electricity map

etc

English, especially since it's risen to lingua franca status, has technology words that are based on English roots, like

motion picture
電影 = electric shadow

Cell phone
手機 = hand machine

Computer
電腦 = electric brain

hot tub
熱水浴缸 = hot water bathtub

I sincerely like chinese more for doing that than just saying "sellu pone" or "sakka". Most of the technology composite words are super easy to understand, like hand machine, it's not like english where you have to literally learn greek to understand our technology words. I also like finding out western celebs have different, senseless names in China. Like Elvis is 'Cat King' for some reason, which sounds absolutely nothing like Elvis.

No Modest Mao it's hella dumb baby level linguist territorialism bullshit.

The English words you listed were words we developed for things we invented. We also have words like bungalow for when we borrow an idea -- we take the word along with it. We invent the idea, we invent a word from it.

None of those things are Chinese inventions. At some point they were brought into China. Some Chinese guy said "Woah! What do you call this?" and we said "computer" and they said OH HELL NO THAT'S NOT CHINESE. WE NEED A CHINESE NAME IF THIS IS GOING TO BE A CHINESE THING. NO SHARESIES.

raton fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 23, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

nickmeister posted:

Any word on where this is from? Or at least who the throat singer is? It reminds me of an Adult Swim spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGW7NRYlBxg

This is the original techno song that someone messed with, part in the clip two minutes in almost exactly.

Gonna warn you, the clip is the only good part and the original got no Mongols. Whoever made that clip is actually good at what they're doing on the internet for once.

IMHO these are the two premier throat singers you're likely to be able to find recordings from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLOE3fBZcUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bDntRWfL70

raton fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 23, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

it feels odd that anyone could actually deliberately design words and introduce them into a language. like, i can't imagine some central English bureau telling people what the proper words for things is, thats sounds insufferable. we come up with words by just talking with each other and seeing what sticks.

It happens and you're right it's the bad kind of weird

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

nickmeister posted:

I think one the things I like about mainland Chinese is the lack of borrowed words from English. For Japanese, English words still flow pretty well for the most part, but Chinese does not do foreign words well.

The multiple syllables thing is something that other tonal languages fix by usually just using a sound or two and dropping the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

sincx posted:

So why don't we call hot and sour soup suanla soup?

And there are plenty of Chinese words that do use phonetic borrowing or phono-semantic matching.

motorcycle = 摩托车 = motuoche (motuo vehicle)
engine = 引擎 = yinqqing, used interchangably with 发动机 ("create movement device")
vitamin = 维他命 = weitaming or 维生素 ‎ = weishengsu* ("sustain life essence")
bus = 巴士 = basi (usually used to refer to long distance buses, city buses are 公共汽车)
karaoke = 卡拉OK = kala OK
fans (as in admirer) = 粉丝 = fensi

This remains true for modern, western technology concepts that you're complaining about the most:
sonar = 声纳 = shengna* ("sound receiver")
blog = 博客 = boke ("bo" as in Weibo)
hacker = 黑客 = heike* ("black guest")

(* - these ones are the more clever phono-semantic matching type of borrowing, where the foreign sounds are matched with characters that both sound alike and actually mean roughly the same thing; the others are just phonetic)

This doesn't even take into account all the English terms, especially technology acronyms, that are used directly: PS (Photoshop), LCD, CPU, OLED, etc.

Language is fluid. Each language evolves differently. All languages borrow concepts from other languages. Borrowing can happen in a variety of ways. There's generally no huge conspiracy to control language, unless you're the Académie française, although governments do like to meddle here and there. And in any case language is impossible to control. Deal with it.

I'm on my phone but I want to answer your hot and sour soup question.

The reason we call it hot and sour soup is because when Chinese restauranteurs started offering it to Americans they assumed we would not buy it if they didn't translate it to English. This is because in China they have a lovely habit of forcing translations of foreign words to become official words rather than relative homonyms. In other words they thought we were Chinese.

Thai people, on the other hand, who are quite xenophilic, assumed that we were Thai and wouldn't mind using their words for their food. Thailand of course has a hot and sour soup (a few actually) which most casual American diners know as Tom Yum, which is what it is called in Thai.

Of course there are exceptions here and there. There are plenty of Chinese American dishes that have fixed Chinesey sounding names that Americans know and will happily say (egg foo young, genreal tsao's, moo shu pork, ma po tofu etc). There are Thai dishes that get translated frequently even when the translations are horrible (our conception of the term salad has nothing to do with somtam or larb, which get translated as papaya salad or meat salad respectively someone). There are homonymos words in Chinese from English as you listed. However when we talk about GENERALLY what goes on the Chinese translate because they think we want translations, because that is what they want, because China is like a goblin camp from the Lord of the Rings.

There is a place in a loving Chinatown in NYC that makes those Chinese slider things where there's a round bun that's sliced in half with stewed meat in the middle. I don't remember the Chinese name for these. What did they come up with for their English name?

:clap:

Just a short walk away from there we have this single item restaurant, serving "rice with chicken" if you were to translate it straight over

In my opinion this relates to the compulsion many Mainlanders have for identifying everything as either being in their circle or out of it before they will involve themselves with it at all. Something cannot be recognized as a thing without also classifying it as self or other, and once identified as such many of your interactions become scripted. It's a busted and awful way to think.

raton fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 23, 2016

• Locked thread