Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
knowing how to fight generally makes one better at fighting, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

SPOOKILY A BIRD posted:

Oh gently caress off.

That's the line you draw? I am more annoyed at the dude who's superpower it is to read young adult fiction novels and a book of 3650 jokes (that he didn't even like).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blurred posted:

Serious question: does knowledge of these disciplines really transfer into the ability to defend oneself properly in an actual fight situation? I know it's a common stdh trope to have a 5'2" /110lb dude beat off a bunch of bullies with his highly cultivated kung fu skills, but is there any truth to that at all? I mean, if you're a krav maga guru then you can probably handle yourself just fine, but is there any evidence the knowledge gained in these courses actually translates into a real ability to defend yourself in a spontaneous fight situation?

It's mostly about having your instincts and knowledge revert to actually useful techniques. An untrained person will probably just flail around uselessly, like punching with wide swings with just their arms that don't do a whole lot of damage or blindly grabbing at poo poo. The idea is that you want to not only have conscious knowledge of the right techniques, but practice enough that if you get into a fight you're able to operate usefully on muscle memory and reflex that's been trained to use the techniques you learned.

Basically, imagine learning how to throw a punch properly (using your torso's rotation to add to the force and not telegraphing big, wide swings) to the point where you automatically punch like that when you try to punch.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Fathis Munk posted:

That's the line you draw? I am more annoyed at the dude who's superpower it is to read young adult fiction novels and a book of 3650 jokes (that he didn't even like).

It's the same thing as people who insist that their eyes change colour depending on their mood. No they don't, and maybe you actually believe that, but it comes from such a pathetic desire to be extraordinary and interesting that it rubs me the wrong way

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What the gently caress is THHGTTG?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

What the gently caress is THHGTTG?

Hitch-hiker's Guide, I assume.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Blurred posted:

Serious question: does knowledge of these disciplines really transfer into the ability to defend oneself properly in an actual fight situation? I know it's a common stdh trope to have a 5'2" /110lb dude beat off a bunch of bullies with his highly cultivated kung fu skills, but is there any truth to that at all? I mean, if you're a krav maga guru then you can probably handle yourself just fine, but is there any evidence the knowledge gained in these courses actually translates into a real ability to defend yourself in a spontaneous fight situation?

Krav maga at least is specifically meant to train you for surprise situations. Basically, how to handle an attacker when you're not expecting it, and how to get away/end the fight quickly.

Then again, I've never done anything other than tai chi, so I can't speak from experience.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Blurred posted:

It helps if you're the top sniper in the entire U.S. armed forces.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

That dude reminds me of when one of the Harry Potter books was released (probably the 5th one) and there was a story in the local newspaper the next day about a girl, who I'm pretty sure was related to one of the editors, having read it in like 11 hours. Everyone else I know who was into the books managed similar times. Reading at a 6th grade level does not actually make you a wizard, kids.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

quote:

I'm on a mobile so I'll make this quick.
A girl came into the drug store I work at and was walking around until she approached me in an aisle. She was wearing a dark hoodie and dark sunglasses and whispered she was looking for the PlanB pill.
I told her I could help her right away and grabbed one for her and removed it from the casing discreetly and wrapped it up in a bag for her. As I rang her up she started bawling and I don't know what came over me but I stopped what I was doing and walked around the counter and gave her a giant hug and just held her as she cried. She was shaking so bad and crying she couldn't put in her PIN. I don't know her or her name or her situation but I saw a terrified human being who just needed love and support at that very moment in time.
I told her she'd be ok and to be brave and I too had been there once. I can't stop thinking about her. Wherever you are sweet girl I hope you're ok. Just know I'm thinking about you and because of you I vow to be the guardian of all women in her situation who are scared out of their minds and just need love and support.
Praise the lords that PlanB is available OTC in my state and that we have the choice to pick it up if need be.

Look at me!! I'm so nice!! Vote Hillary!!!

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Blurred posted:

Serious question: does knowledge of these disciplines really transfer into the ability to defend oneself properly in an actual fight situation?
If your definition of a fight situation is a referred contest, like an actual combat sports match, then maybe, depending on the art.

If your definition is a violent assault on the street or in a bar, then not really.
Street fights have a lot of variables, like number of people, possible weapons, different environmental hazards, intoxication, etc. In theory you could have a training program that puts your in these scenarios and drill them specifically. There are even a couple of courses that do that. But things go out the window very quickly, so the key self "defense" skill to have is to avoid risky situations and to be able to read when a fight might break out and either leave or descalate it.

I've been in a few amateur kickboxing matches and have had a knife pulled on me during an attempted mugging. I did a reflexive evaluation of whether I could punch or kick this guy and knock him out before I got extremely hurt from getting stabbed and immediately decided against fighting.

quote:

I mean, if you're a krav maga guru then you can probably handle yourself just fine

The quality of instruction with Krav Maga is extremely varied. You can get a certificate to teach KM in 3 days. Some schools can be very legit, have meaningful training, and have correct instruction about approaching self-defense. Other schools will just blow smoke up your rear end about how much of a badass you're becoming while teaching nothing of value. Krav Maga is certainly not alone in this kind of overhyping.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

On the fighting stuff: I would like to ad that the guy bragging about how much he knows JiuJitsu, and Karate, and Kung Fu and whatever other words he learned from TV most likely knows jack poo poo.

The guys, (in my experience and I know anecdote is not evidence), who actually know martial arts and self defense skills don't brag about how many magical badass techniques they have. Or if they do, it's less "hey bucko, I could kick your arse coz I know so much good fighty stuff", and more "I am proud of myself for having learned a new skill/progressed to the next level/won a medal etc."

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

BrigadierSensible posted:

On the fighting stuff: I would like to ad that the guy bragging about how much he knows JiuJitsu, and Karate, and Kung Fu and whatever other words he learned from TV most likely knows jack poo poo.

The guys, (in my experience and I know anecdote is not evidence), who actually know martial arts and self defense skills don't brag about how many magical badass techniques they have. Or if they do, it's less "hey bucko, I could kick your arse coz I know so much good fighty stuff", and more "I am proud of myself for having learned a new skill/progressed to the next level/won a medal etc."

My ex BIL had a black belt in Tae Kwon Do. One of the local football teams sent a linebacker to his studio, hoping that their player could learn some grace and agility. 5'7" BIL faced 6'3" huge linebacker, and told him to charge. I think he expected to stop the linebacker with a kick. The linebacker flattened him.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Boing posted:

It's the same thing as people who insist that their eyes change colour depending on their mood. No they don't, and maybe you actually believe that, but it comes from such a pathetic desire to be extraordinary and interesting that it rubs me the wrong way

Yeah but that at least is kind of a cool brag. I am always amazed at the lovely brags Tropers try to pull off and this one was so unbelievably smug too.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Blurred posted:

Depens on how you train. If you include full contact sparring in your training, then yes, it can help. If all you're doing is katas in the dojo, not so much. Regardless of the art, if you're going up against multiple opponents, you're pretty much hosed.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Purely anecdotal, but mine and my friends' experience with martial arts has involved the trainer being pretty honest about how little practical use that stuff is going to be in a fight. My instructor liked to use a highlighter pen as a knife substitute, just to highlight how utterly hosed you'd be if it came down to that. :v:

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Non-scam self-defence classes tend to be pretty up front about the most reliable way to avoid getting hurt in a fight being not getting in fights, a point that surprisingly many people have to be told.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

The quality of instruction with Krav Maga is extremely varied. You can get a certificate to teach KM in 3 days. Some schools can be very legit, have meaningful training, and have correct instruction about approaching self-defense. Other schools will just blow smoke up your rear end about how much of a badass you're becoming while teaching nothing of value. Krav Maga is certainly not alone in this kind of overhyping.

Krav Maga is the crossfit of martial arts. You might be doing good work, or you might be doing lovely work, but you are doubtlessly going to tell everyone and their brother about it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Waci posted:

Non-scam self-defence classes tend to be pretty up front about the most reliable way to avoid getting hurt in a fight being not getting in fights, a point that surprisingly many people have to be told.

Yeah, heh. My instructors have been pretty chill and put more emphasis on it being about discipline and keeping in shape rather than mad skills.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

kimbo305 posted:

If your definition of a fight situation is a referred contest, like an actual combat sports match, then maybe, depending on the art.

If your definition is a violent assault on the street or in a bar, then not really.
Street fights have a lot of variables, like number of people, possible weapons, different environmental hazards, intoxication, etc. In theory you could have a training program that puts your in these scenarios and drill them specifically. There are even a couple of courses that do that. But things go out the window very quickly, so the key self "defense" skill to have is to avoid risky situations and to be able to read when a fight might break out and either leave or descalate it.

I've been in a few amateur kickboxing matches and have had a knife pulled on me during an attempted mugging. I did a reflexive evaluation of whether I could punch or kick this guy and knock him out before I got extremely hurt from getting stabbed and immediately decided against fighting.

I practice KM and this cannot be said enough. You see instructors with virtually no prior training getting certified because they went through a high intensity course in 3 days. You just need to mimic the techniques enough and, congratulations, you're a teacher. I've been in more fights than all of my instructors combined (I'm not saying I've won all or even most of them) and that's a scary thought.

Here's the thing about martial arts, or any other talent. You need to practice. Just like being a guitar player involves more than just jamming in your room, martial arts involve fighting, getting hurt, and learning how to to deal with that.

A real fight, a fight that is not in an octagon, is much more difficult than anything you train for. You don't know if the other person has friends nearby, if he has a weapon, if he knows how to use it, etc. As a rule, you won't get into street fight, use your sweet Hannity skills and come out unscathed. You'll be bruised or worse (when it comes to knives, you only need to miss once and you get stabbed).

In a professional fight, a professional martial artist will kick the ever loving poo poo out of you, over and over. In a street fight, he'll win against the person in front of him, and then get kicked, stabbed or shot by people around him.

As a rule, just don't get into fights.

Having said all of that, martial arts are really fun, and you should find a nice place to practice them. Even if you don't become a Hollywoodesque killing machine, it's fun to push your limits.

ElGroucho posted:

Krav Maga is the crossfit of martial arts. You might be doing good work, or you might be doing lovely work, but you are doubtlessly going to tell everyone and their brother about it.

Oh, you also know km people who start going about" beast mode "and poo poo like that after lesson 1?

Redrum and Coke has a new favorite as of 12:55 on Oct 17, 2016

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
While we're on the subject what's meant to be so brutal about Krav Maga? It's one of those things where I see a ton of people going on about how bad rear end it is, but very few saying anything about why it is.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

poptart_fairy posted:

Purely anecdotal, but mine and my friends' experience with martial arts has involved the trainer being pretty honest about how little practical use that stuff is going to be in a fight. My instructor liked to use a highlighter pen as a knife substitute, just to highlight how utterly hosed you'd be if it came down to that. :v:

Yeah, everyone's got this idea that knife fights occur like they do in the movies: someone stands off slightly more than arm's length away, waiting for the right moment to strike, then lunges with an attempted stab or slice that someone with sufficiently quick reflexes can deflect.

Real knife attacks look more like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37XiSn81oFw

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

poptart_fairy posted:

While we're on the subject what's meant to be so brutal about Krav Maga? It's one of those things where I see a ton of people going on about how bad rear end it is, but very few saying anything about why it is.

Krav Maga, I was told by a guy who never shuts up about it, endorses no kind of honor system or anything so it teaches you to go for the balls or eyes or throat to end the fight quick. Also it tells you to attack first if you feel any threat so there's no calmly warning the dude like Ip Man, you just kick him the balls and run.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Basically because it's a very practical martial art taught to soldiers and police. Military martial arts are designed to incapacitate your opponents as quickly and efficiently as possible without the added flourishes of traditional martial arts, or without the sportsman-like rules and regulations of martial arts that have turned into competitive sports. In addition, I suppose a martial art used by Mossad agents has an added cachet of being "bad-rear end", while the martial arts taught to Chinese soldiers are possibly just as effective and lethal.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

poptart_fairy posted:

I wouldn't say it's brutal. You're not taught to damage your opponent for the hell of it, just to incapacitate him so that you can get away. This means hitting him anywhere that will cause significant damage, like his eyes and groin.

This also brings up another problem with martial arts, since many instructors do not teach very basic legal concepts to their students. You cannot blind someone because he grabbed you, unless you're certain there's a real danger to your life (e. G. Not if you're just being controlled to stop fighting, or to get you to leave the).
Instructors teach dangerous techniques that will either create false confidence in their students, or will land a student in jail.

call center manager posted:

Basically because it's a very practical martial art taught to soldiers and police. Military martial arts are designed to incapacitate your opponents as quickly and efficiently as possible without the added flourishes of traditional martial arts, or without the sportsman-like rules and regulations of martial arts that have turned into competitive sports. In addition, I suppose a martial art used by Mossad agents has an added cachet of being "bad-rear end", while the martial arts taught to Chinese soldiers are possibly just as effective and lethal.

I always think it's funny how they use the history of KM as a really bad rear end story.
"it was invented to stop the rise of the nazis! "

Oh yeah, how did that go?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Non Serviam posted:

I wouldn't say it's brutal. You're not taught to damage your opponent for the hell of it, just to incapacitate him so that you can get away. This means hitting him anywhere that will cause significant damage, like his eyes and groin.

This also brings up another problem with martial arts, since many instructors do not teach very basic legal concepts to their students. You cannot blind someone because he grabbed you, unless you're certain there's a real danger to your life (e. G. Not if you're just being controlled to stop fighting, or to get you to leave the).
Instructors teach dangerous techniques that will either create false confidence in their students, or will land a student in jail.

In 9th grade I took a self-defense course offered in my high school. It was really basic poo poo that served as a PE credit; the hardest things we ever practiced were poo poo like twisting your wrist to get out of a grab.

Then we got to watch a self-defense video made in the late 80s or early 90s that swung between showing off the most painful things possible (like twisting and squeezing testicles or gouging out eyes) and poo poo like a jogger getting away from someone sexually harassing her by yanking his shorts down and running.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like my boxing class, because nobody has ever said, "This is what you would do in a bar room situation" because we train specifically for amateur fights under the supervision of licensed officials. I'm not going to go get choked out by some gorilla hands grappler to prove some idiotic point.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

oldpainless posted:

Krav Maga, I was told by a guy who never shuts up about it, endorses no kind of honor system or anything so it teaches you to go for the balls or eyes or throat to end the fight quick. Also it tells you to attack first if you feel any threat so there's no calmly warning the dude like Ip Man, you just kick him the balls and run.

Is that really a Krav Manga thing? If there's anything I remember from taking Karate in high school, it was that the trainer usually stressed three important points about getting in fights.

1) Don't get in fights.
2) If you are being mugged, just give the mugger what he wants. Your wallet and phone is probably not worth a visit to the hospital or worse.
3) If a fight is inevitable, just kick the opponent in the crotch and run away as fast as possible.

Actually, my Aikido trainer in university said he had trained a number of different martial arts through the years, and had found Aikido the most useful, as it focuses a lot on proper falling technique and my country has a lot of ice on the roads during winter.

Basically, just do martial arts for exercise and recreation. It's a lot of fun, but don't count on it to save you in a real fight.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I think I've told this story in this thread, but after learning self defense and basics of Tai Chi, Aikido, Krav Maga, two guys tried to mug me, I broke a nose and started shouting, and then called 911 on myself, sobbing. The 911 operator explained what happened to me, and everything was (relatively) fine. Don't get into real fights; it's horrible.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Not to further dwell on this, but here is what happened to a Marine from my home town.

http://votemanker.com/austin-attack/

"That night, as I approached my vehicle, the lunatic ran from the shadows and pointed a weapon directly at my friend Chris Panelli’s head. Thinking it was a handgun, I made my way around the car to the attacker’s flank, at which point he turned on me.

Because I thought he had a gun, I grabbed him with my left hand and punched him with my right. (The feeling that you’re about to get shot point blank is never a good one) Thankfully(?), it wasn’t a gun, but a 12-inch KABAR knife. During the struggle, he stabbed me repeatedly in the chest, arm, hand, back, head/face, and worst of all, in my neck, severing my jugular vein. 10 times in all."

Trained Marine, Combat Veteran and nearly got his head cut off.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CannedMacabre posted:

Trained Marine, Combat Veteran and nearly got his head cut off.

To throw some more water on the Krav Maga deadly soldier marketing -- do you think Marines or any infantry spend that much time on hand to hand or hand to weapon combat? Would you want them to?

WrenP-Complete posted:

I think I've told this story in this thread, but after learning self defense and basics of Tai Chi, Aikido, Krav Maga, two guys tried to mug me, I broke a nose and started shouting, and then called 911 on myself, sobbing. The 911 operator explained what happened to me, and everything was (relatively) fine. Don't get into real fights; it's horrible.

You told it in the Martial Arts thread (which other folks should read if you've been at all curious about training).

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure he also told it here

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Furia posted:

I'm pretty sure he also told it here

She, please.

And thanks, I'm also pretty sure it was here, I don't read the martial arts thread.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Non Serviam posted:

A real fight, a fight that is not in an octagon, is much more difficult than anything you train for. You don't know if the other person has friends nearby, if he has a weapon, if he knows how to use it, etc. As a rule, you won't get into street fight, use your sweet Hannity skills and come out unscathed. You'll be bruised or worse (when it comes to knives, you only need to miss once and you get stabbed).

Seriously. The majority of real fights look something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jepe68XC6tU.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Practicing weapon-based martial arts has taught me that, especially when it comes to knives, you're bound to get hurt in the process. Some historical texts even assume you're going to get cut in an attempt to do something, and focus on getting a less deadly cut.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I read a book on self defense by this ex-army guy that was basically, "Make up your mind that you are going to be stabbed to poo poo, and then if you are threatening enough, maybe the other guy will not want to get stabbed to poo poo. Protip: Slash their forehead so they get blood in their eyes, and then run like a bitch."

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Some medieval fighting manuals have tips that boil down to 'Someone's going to hit you. Try not to lose an arm, but if you are afraid of that happening, don't fight.'

This has been a thing for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

With how dangerous it is, why does anybody even fight anymore?