Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah I work on the 24-hour clock, I find it more efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Quick, someone grab that ID code.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And that man was Fred Flintstone

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

And that, kids, is how I met your mother.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I often hear "party school" when someone is trying to explain why they didn't do well in college.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I get a nosebleed every time I see a sentence start with "This Troper..."

Have some loving self-respect.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Not just money

DRUG MONEY

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

fliptophead posted:

Every time I cmoa I read it as choose my own adventure and picture this troper with fingers in the pages picking the most bestest outcome for the tale of poo poo that never happened

It's not until I read this that I realized that CMOA is not, in fact, "Choose My Own Adventure"

It made so much more sense.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I wonder how often he tries to bring up the prison system in conversation so he can whip that story out.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I wonder how many nights he went home from the bar alone because he didn't have an interesting story to tell. Enough that he pulled out that deep cut as the greatest moment of his life.

"Alright, so I was a kid, and we were pretending to be lawyers..."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

tankadillo posted:

In real life, I hope he also begins every story by explaining the concept of a mock trial, and ends it by mentioning how, despite his crowningly awesome comment, they lost anyway.

That may be the most depressing part. It's your story, you can embellish it in any way you want. Nobody is going to fact-check you and ask your former classmates whether or not you actually won the big trial.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Kajeesus posted:

You forget that that probably is the embellished version.

So what's the real version?

"I tried to join the debate team in high school and I've seen 'My Cousin Vinny' two and a half times"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Reading about something similar happening and internalizing it. One of my coworkers does this poo poo all the time. Sometimes he'll even tell me stories about things I've done, with him edited in place of myself.

Please tell us about the times this person replaced you in your stories, it sounds loving fascinating.

shit_that_didnt_happen_to_you.txt

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0YzacfKP3U

This is what I was thinking of earlier. I find this sort of behavior fascinating.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And every night I poo poo ice cream.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Let me tell you about the time this guy cut me off on the expressway and how I fed him his Dodge Neon piece by piece over the next eleven years.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
"The things that are said in this pile of papers are what's going on"

No, I don't need a lawyer, why do you ask?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

mostlygray posted:

My 3rd grade teacher tried to do that speech. She didn't do it as eloquently, but she used the same analogy as the story. The fact was that she liked smashing up her apples before she ate them for some reason and used it as a teaching moment.

It failed miserably; none of us learned anything except that our teacher was weird and liked bruised apples. I was made far stupider for her efforts. I also tried bruising an apple to see why she liked it. Don't try it. It's disgusting.

And that teacher was Mrs. Gallagher.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Most bears I know aren't closeted to begin with. They're quite happy with who they are; they dance and sing and smell of leather and Old Spice. And they jingle when they walk.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I always enjoy stories about drugs, drug dealers, drug addicts, etc where it's obvious about three sentences in that the person is just reciting stories from DARE.

The guy was on DRUGS because he wanted PENCILS to defend himself from MONSTERS and that's why I BIT HIS EAR OFF

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Huggy Wipes posted:

After being expelled from several schools I was sent to some "rich" school. On the bus some rear end in a top hat taunted me about having huggy wipes. (I couldn't properly well....ya)

"Call me Ishmael" for our times

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Some people really don't have much going on in their lives outside of sleep, work, eating, and the pop culture they consume and with which they identify. And when they're occasionally in a group of people with everyone is telling stories or talking about what they did over the weekend or the upcoming ski trip, there's really nothing for them to say. And they learned a long time ago that "I beat Assassin's Creed III on Hardcore difficulty!" is not really the conversation people want to have at the water cooler. So they get frustrated and uncomfortable. Some of them will actually pilfer stories from others, as we saw a few pages ago. Others will make something up entirely without ever pausing to consider the asininity of how it sounds out loud. And still others will take a cue from movies and television where the good guy beats up the bad guy and everyone claps, without any of the aftermath like getting arrested for assault.

Imagine you have no life experiences worth mentioning in a casual conversation. Now imagine the incredible urge to take part anyway, regardless of how loving stupid the contribution is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I always appreciate someone telling a story in a group of people that aren't really paying attention. They smile politely, but they start dropping out one by one. The person panics and suddenly the story is action-packed!

A few years ago my ex-wife was friends with this woman that was absolutely full of poo poo. One day she's telling a story about a dough mishap at a restaurant kitchen in Disney World that she worked at and she notices nobody cares. So next thing you know, there was a fight! And someone grabbed a cookie sheet and hit someone else in the neck with it! And it severed his...you know, that big vein! And he died right there next to the mixer!