Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

So there I am, standing in a self-organized single-file line at the local McDonalds. For those few of you who are not aware, this is the superior, and objectively more fair line formation when there are multiple registers. A clearly under-educated employee then loudly instructed the patrons to form multiple lines, and I felt morally compelled to speak up: "Excuse me miss, but that's not the correct way to form lines, please everybody stay in this line and everyone will be optimally served!". The employee looks at me disparagingly, and reiterates her demand for people to form multiple lines. Now irked, I exclaim "We're smarter than that, just stay in place!". Everyone has clearly assessed my superior reasoning and obeys, but a newcomer at the end of the line sees their opportunity to be a miscreant and skip the line. Commandingly, I move to intercept him and explain the benefits of societal fairness to him, but he ignores me. In order to stick up for the public good, I move to physically move him away to keep order, but he pushes me and calls me a "bitch". I called the police for this assault, but they do not arrive in time before the gentleman both gets his food, and by setting his poor example, breaks up the single file line that I tried so hard to maintain. What are the police good for if not to maintain order? I can now understand the apparent sentiment online against the police, and will not be supporting them any longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tacodaemon posted:

What is up with the repeated non sequitur "I wasn’t the jock" thing

It's probably just that it's coming from a 12-yr old without the best understanding of the world.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If a kid doesn't want a shot or other medical treatment, we hold them down if necessary and give it to them anyway because they need treatment. Could this fake kid's parents have forced him to be a blood donor even though the kid himself doesn't need treatment?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

Haha I hope this happened because the fucker was dumb as poo poo for not realizing employers pay you to do the best possible job despite things like stupid orders.

And he didn't notice she had the same last name as the boss.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

That seems... utterly believable and unremarkable? Edit: I guess except why it's posted to the internet.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

System Metternich posted:

This is spectacularly racist, wow :stare:

Have you spent much time with inner-city kids on the poverty line? It's not really very racist... When you have drug-addicted parents who don't give a gently caress, it doesn't matter if you're black or white (or purple or whatever the gently caress), you're going to be raised in an environment of ignorance. I have been helping out with a bunch of 100% white meth head kids, and they certainly talk like that. These entirely white kids glorify this manner of speaking, because it is "real".

Is this fake as poo poo? Yeah, but let's not make this about race.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kimbo305 posted:

It's the tumblr author who's doing the 'glorification' here.
Even if the writer were a linguist who could more accurately capture poor black speech (and he definitely isn't), it's still racist to imply these kids were black and to put those words in their imaginary mouths.
It's easy to read between the lines what he intended before he got policed into that qualifier that they were of all races.

I guess if they changed their tune as to race, that's an interesting datapoint. Where are you seeing anything about race on that site now though? Are people assuming that, because this pattern of speech matches a poor (double entendre) black caricature, that it is intended to be directed at blacks? My sister has a "black" name, which has caused her a lot of difficulty in life, but dumb fucks who talk like this website portrays have very little to do with race, but much more about their conditions growing up.

Unless you are a true racist, making fun of how someone talks is about upbringing, not about race.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kimbo305 posted:

From snopes:
The description was later updated to include the modifier "of all races" following "urban kids" after readers opined that "urban" was a code word for black.

Well, that's pretty obtuse to assume that urban means black. There may be disproportionate demographics, but I have no doubt that your average white upper-class kid put in the same conditions would react similarly. To say otherwise is racist by definition.

kimbo305 posted:

Just because it's not like how other socioeconomic groups talk doesn't make someone a "dumb gently caress." Thinking that way when you hear a certain kind of speech, no matter the topic of conversation, is... not making a great case.
And of course, by Occam's Razor, a site called Ghetto Hikes was not meant for its audience to think about all races of kids growing up to talk this way. It was meant for people to laugh in tune with their perceptions about black people.

No, because it's how the people at the bottom of the socioeconomic ladder talk is why they are "dumb fucks" because they aren't successful. I hate that black people are disproportionately represented as such, but those are the statistics, though myriad the causes may be.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol no urban is a racist code word don't be dumb.

It's literally called Ghettohikes how dense can you be

Jesus loving Christ, ghetto = black is that hard coded into your racist brain? Stop that, it's racist.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

No it literally is along with urban and thug. Pretending it isn't doesn't make you not racist.

As America is built on coded racism.

America is based on coded racism, sure, but I suggest we be real going forwards. Let's talk in plain terms about the issues facing anyone disadvantaged for any reason, race included, but let us not hide behind these words. Let's acknowledge why being black means you should get an advantage in college admissions, not because you're black, but because of the likely circumstances leading to your application. Let's talk about entirely capable blacks (no different than whites) who are essentially assured admission because they are being raised well and are put on a pedestal as a result.

No one seems to understand that racism is, quite simply, basing decisions on some person's race. Anyone espousing that viewpoint is racist. Anyone who says that race should not matter is not racist. Why is this so hard to understand for so many people?

Tunicate posted:

People with autism often have difficulty understanding that a word can have both connotations and denotations.

Edit: I am autistic, which I am sure makes these sort of discussions more difficult.

baquerd has a new favorite as of 19:53 on Dec 27, 2016

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gambor posted:

Or we could pretend that the world exists and that in it people sometimes say and do things that aren't literal. Ignoring the fact that code word racism exists doesn't make you not racist, it makes you ignore when people are being racist. Enabling racism isn't a great position to take if you want to be not racist.

How can not seeing race lead to racism, except in the perverted sense that people from disadvantageous socio-economic background having poor outcomes may be correlated with race? Race is a social construct, it's not something real that makes you different, but society certainly segregates and makes real racial differences. Racists make race real, and they should be avoided and ostracized. I suggest that we collectively not be racists, and as a result, racism will die out.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Why do people always qualify statements like this with ridiculous colors? It's like the technicolor version of "I'm not racist, but..."

I don't care if you're black or white or green or polka-dot but :biotruths:

No biotruths here, just the regular truths. I don't believe anyone of any "race" is categorically better than any other human, I only mean to mock those who believe the color of our skin means something absent ignorant societal judgements. I am not ignoring racial divides, merely pointing out that such divides are not helpful, and a simple consideration of relative student accomplishment (via typical standardized testing or similar) is perhaps the best metric of where we should be spending public funds (those furthest away from standards typically have the most to gain).

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gambor posted:

Right now, what you're doing isn't ostracizing and avoiding racists, it's defending and apologizing for them.

What racist behavior am I defending/apologizing for? Remember, a racist action is one taken solely or primarily on the basis of race. I am arguing the direct opposite, that we ignore race and focus on things that actually matter, such as poverty and poor educational conditions when growing up.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stroop There It Is posted:

someone please teach this robot about institutional racism

Please do. Why should the fact that those in power are racist impact my moral decision-making framework?

WampaLord posted:

Standardized testing isn't the end all and be all you think it is. You can't get an objective measure of how good a human is.

Fair enough, but at a societal level, what other tools do we have?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm done here on this topic as Samizdata suggests, but I would be very happy to continue this discussion through PM's with anyone currently involved (or not involved) in this discussion. I want to learn, but I haven't heard any logical arguments or information!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

That's because your brain is rejecting anything that isn't coldly logical and deciding that subtleties can't exist if you can't perceive them. If you're going to admit to being autistic, at least acknowledge that your brain isn't parsing things the same as other people's and that maybe the problem with understanding is you.

Regretfully, I do have to respond to this - it's absolutely possible! If I can't make a logical connection to objective truth for a certain statement, that statement is not true to me, and I don't understand (in many cases) the vast majority of people telling me otherwise. I want the world to be logical, and I disregard those who say the truth is that the world is not logical. On some level, I understand that many people do not behave this way, but I tend to dismiss them as morons, even people who are otherwise accomplished and intelligent. On yet another level, I understand that this is not a favorable viewpoint for my ideas, but I can't help myself when espousing logical viewpoints. I refused to "compromise" by letting illogical arguments win, even if those arguments are technically logical based on the overwhelming response of the people.

Whether this is a helpful viewpoint in societal progress or not, it is mine, and I will not apologize for it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

oldpainless posted:

"Let's go through all these studies showing no correlation between weight and health"

(Flips through book that is very obviously nothing but blank pages while making quizzical noises and staring wide eyed at patient and also shrugs confusedly like how Jon Stewart did all the time back on the daily show)

The missing variable is height!

Edit: I mean race.