Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
My favorite part of tumblr, reddit, or a/t stdh is the pretzel like twists people who got tricked go through to justify why they didn't catch on to the liar's bullshit.

"Well, you see, if this happened on the day of the solstice, during a leap year, while the participant was wearing green socks then it could have happened, and nobody ever lies on the Internet. Plus this one piece sounds legit, so how DARE you say this guy is making poo poo up!"

It's just always so grossly convoluted and I love it every time. Please keep it coming. Just source your quotes next time so we know where they came from Imaduck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Paladinus posted:

What on earth is manny?

A really stupid way to say 'a nanny that is male'. I think.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Xen Tricks posted:

People sung along? At a concert???? Oh my god

also no Texan has ever burst out in a group singing of that dumb song, the stars aren't clear or bright here and it's really hot and wet and no one likes it

e: the stars at night/can't be seen under the loving biblical floods

I think it's actually relatively common in the weird small cities. So common that, apparently, it's banned in a lot of factories because people clapping along and being distracted were causing injuries with heavy machinery.

I do want this rain to stop though, it's been so wet for so long. :smith:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

FAROOQ posted:

The americans disowned one racist flag in 2015, they might as well do the other in 2016.

This, but unironically.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I found his website. Assuming he's being honest about his origins, he grew up as a dyed-in-the-wool evangelist Christian and was 100% faithful and annoying until he went to Africa and realized that none of the starving, dehydrated children he encountered on his mission trip wanted a Bible as much as they wanted some goddamn food.

Hardcore atheists pretending to have been super missionaries are cut from the same cloth as those youth pastors who pretend they did hardcore drugs and worshipped Satan in their youth.

They just lie for legitimacy.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Stroop There It Is posted:

That was a single event and very much is the exception, not the rule. It's a complicated issue. There have been a lot of conflicts between the drag community and the trans community over the reclaiming of words like "tranny" and "shemale"--whether drag queens, who have always been called the same derogatory words as trans women, have the right to refer to themselves (NOT trans people) with those words. The vast majority of trans people don't have a problem with drag itself (and in fact, the drag and trans communities have up until very recently had a LOT of overlap; there are still many trans women who begin to explore their identities through drag, and if you think drag is mocking of cis or trans women, PM me and I'll give you a lecture). Trans people tend to have more mixed opinions about whether cis gay men have the right to reclaim slurs that were directed at them due to bigots conflating drag queens and crossdressers and trans women. A bunch of cis gay men have reacted poorly to what they perceive as word policing from people, especially allies, who are ignorant of the history and meaning of drag (which certainly has happened, though I wouldn't say it's the majority of trans people opposed to drag queens using those words), which has exacerbated the conflict.

Also as a bisexual person with an opposite-sex (though not gender) partner, there is plenty of bullshit bi people face in both the straight and gay communities, but that stupid Picard meme didn't happen. No one gives a gently caress if straight people come to Pride, there are tons of them there (including straight trans people, who are certainly under the LGBT umbrella!). That poo poo only happens online, like others have said.

I'd actually like to read your thoughts on drag and cis/trans women, I have very little experience with drag outside of the media and it sounds interesting. I have pms, but I'm sure the thread could also support a little derail.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

These are hilariously bad all around, but for some reason the following line stuck out as especially bad

Agh, how do you mess that up?

That reads like an intentional choice to me. Like, she fundamentally doesn't understand the turn of phrase so when she was trying to say that his comment was way beyond the pale, she just made herself look even stupider than she already did.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Xen Tricks posted:

My favorite part is the one or two posters saying it didn't happen and then like 10 people screaming WE CAN NEVER HAVE FUN PEOPLE ARE SO CYNICAL AT MY HOTEL WE WOULD HAVE LOVED TO DO THIS

At least some people doubt it? Better than imgur

People rabidly defend their right to be lied to. It's, frankly, ridiculous. They get so wrapped up in this thing existing that they go nuts about someone doubting it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

This cannot possibly be real.

[/quote]

Its not. I figure most people didnt make it, but in the end he meets a female astronaut and they hug because they bonded over women in STEM being ok.

Like, this is a definitely parody, its just not particularly well done so its unclear for a while that it is one.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

DId you go to high school in 1999?
Seriously, thats a bit from season loving 2 of South Park. Why wouyld that be making a comeback now? my meme game must be weak as poo poo

Some people on these forums did, yes.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

rchandra posted:

If the person is just visiting, there should indeed be a payment - I've been in in the office when foreign oil workers are asked for money.

Ok cool but it was a joke.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Telemaze posted:

I hope I didn't already post this dumb bullshit.

Is there a way to get these types of posts to display better in the awful app? They're always so tiny and hard to read when I'm on the phone. Obviously 0% Telemaze's fault, just looking for a better solution.

For content: reading that post made my dog go crazy.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Non Serviam posted:

I'm not trying to be a smart rear end, I sincerely didn't get any racist vibe from that.

Is zombie a word for black people now?

Yes and has been for years, I don't know if this and the red text mean you're a gimmick but on the off chance someone else doesn't know, then yeah, that's been one of many code words that have existed for a while.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

I have literally never encountered that but then I don't read Stormfront :shrug:

That's literally one of the things coding does, it hides words behind familiar sounding terms so that you can be a racist in plain sight.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

People who post on gun forums are more racist than the population at large and have their own racist lingo SHOCK HORROR

I guess I just don't understand your flipflop now - this dude's post was racially coded gun nut insanity. People familiar with watching that type of crazy person commented on the language to explain it to people who weren't aware of it.

You and non serial or whatever his name is proceeded to leap in here to defend this dude.

Now you're acting like everyone knows that gun nuts are racist and have code words they use to be publicly racist, just like in that post.

Good job finally catching up to the rest of the class, I guess.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

MizPiz posted:

Why is everyone focusing on the zombie part when urban has probably been the longest used dog whistle for black people?

Because they were having enough trouble with the completely out of place, and thus much more obvious, racist code word 'zombie'. Since the original post also had the word 'rural' in it, that would've given them yet another potential stumbling block, and I was trying to make it as simple and easy to understand as possible.

Sadly that somehow still didn't work.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Non Serviam posted:

I'm not from the US, no. However, in the text "urban" appeared as opposed to "rural." he didn't say "against urban youth" or "urban thugs." you can't just see the word "urban" and immediately assume it's racially loaded. As for zombie, even other posters expressed their puzzling about that one; devoid of context, we can't just assets every bad word is code for "black."

There's this whole theory about me being racist European, and how I say "liberals are racists," so it's hard for me to honestly take the fun away from them. However, I was born in South America, and I didn't say "liberals are racists" (I did imply that there's a constant condescension on the part of pasty white assholes trying to defend us poor minorities).

I don't remember where the red text came from, but I'm guessing it was me telling another pasty white SA user to shove his white man's burden up his rear end and stop seeing racism everywhere.

I hope that helps.

Nobody is trying to defend a poor minority. People are talking about coded language that they are familiar with. Whoever first pointed it out wasn't doing so to help keep you safe, they were eyerolling at the stupidity and openness of the wanna be tough guy's racism.

America has a weird hosed up set of ideas and attitudes about race that can be hard to decipher from the outside. It's ok that you don't see it, but it's plain as day for people like that poster and also for people who have lovely relatives, neighbors, etc.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

gschmidl posted:

I think this may be the stdh-iest thing to ever not happen. You may want to scroll up to read the original question.

You can read another post by him here - http://ask.metafilter.com/252764/Owl-problem

It's similarly completely full of poo poo.

Here's a link to his profile. He looks exactly like I expected.

http://www.metafilter.com/user/156521

Yngwie Mangosteen has a new favorite as of 00:25 on Aug 30, 2016

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

if only the same thing happened to your posts.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Non Serviam posted:

None of that necessarily means she was driving. It doesn't matter though, who cares.

I think I've figured out your inability to see obvious racism.

You just don't understand what words mean. Like fundamentally.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Xen Tricks posted:

Ha ha no if you wore that shirt in Spring the only thing you would get is publicly congratulated. Also stdh is the idea that anyone that wears that shirt isn't a contrarian rear end in a top hat just raring and ready to get into whatever argument can find them

the story proves that already. The supposed wearer of the shirt lost no time or anything and is desperate to get a minimum wage worker fired because they got someone else to finish up their checking.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

life is killing me posted:

Those people were doing poo poo like that before Trump got elected, everyone's acting like his election flipped a switch and turned on the racist, homophobic, anti-trans sleeper cells. Only now, everyone can cash in further on continuing to ridicule people who were doing this before by videotaping or photographing it for the sake of victim-hood. All it really serves is to ridicule EVERYONE who voted for Trump or supported him in any way whether or not they were actually racist homophobe hillbillies, instead of just the subset of people featured.

I don't think you know what 'subset' means.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

life is killing me posted:

Are you referring to the fact that I was talking about a smaller portion of people who say and do things referenced in those tweets, which are in fact part of a larger group of people that voted for Trump?

Wait you think thats real? lol.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Tunicate posted:

No Such Thing As Gardening Leave
Parking Lot | Sacramento, CA, USA | Crazy Requests, Time

(It’s 11 pm and the store closed at 9. I’m in my car, in the back of the parking lot, on my lunch, taking a nap. I’m not wearing my employee vest or my name tag. Someone knocks on my car window, waking me up.)

Customer: “I can’t get into the garden department!”

I don't see how this one is all that weird? Poster works at a Walmart superstore or something, and mans one of the later-opened areas. They're on lunch and some customer doesn't realize that the gardening department has different operating hours from the main part of the store so they bothered an employee they saw, because employees inside were probably difficult to find in the giant, empty store.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Tunicate posted:

They're on lunch and taking a nap in the parking lot just before midnight two hours after the store closed?

So a customer comes up to a random car in a parking lot at night after the store is closed to ask about a department?

The garden department was closed. The rest of the Walmart was open. The employee worked overnight in the open part of the store and was taking a nap during their lunch hour. I don't understand what is difficult to grasp. Do you not live in the US, or just live in an area without Walmarts?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Tunicate posted:

The story says "It’s 11 pm and the store closed at 9."

So the rest of the walmart wasn't open, apparently.

Then they work at a different store with a shared lot.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Gimme the shovel, you're deep enough.

Its just so banal I guess. Why even lie about it?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

I have never wanted to murder someone so badly before but that plant blog person needs to be gone from this earth

This is a really weird reaction to a retiree's blog.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

being old is no excuse for writing like a huge rear end in a top hat imo

Whats yours then?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

Welcome to the shit_that_didnt_happen.txt thread. This is where we gather posts from the "insignificantly few people" who talk about their fake PTSD on the internet.

But his outrage that we're making fun of weird internet people on the Something Awful forums must be expressed!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's been registered for literally 2 weeks and he has an avatar and is posting lovely opinions in a PYF thread. It's just a trolly re-reg, not worth your effort.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Not sure if this one has been posted before, but this sort of person is the worst.

also,

Yngwie Mangosteen has a new favorite as of 04:29 on Mar 11, 2017

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
More from Reddit's awful community. To make it worse, this was posted as 'This is my friend from Afghanistan. He does this sort of thing a lot!'

They always remove themselves one step from it so they can't be called out these days.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Hot from the presses.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
From here - https://www.reddit.com/r/MaliciousCompliance/comments/600134/you_can_go_home_early/

quote:

Way back when, I used to work as a bank teller. One day a man in a suite comes in and comes to my lane. I had never seen this guy before but he looks like a million bucks, nice suite, perfect hair, the works. No sooner does this gentleman walk up to me, my manager asks to borrow me for a second and pulls me off to the side. She told me that this particular guy was the richest person around and had 100's of millions banked with us. She told me, "If it isn't against the law, I want you to do WHATEVER he tell you to. If he asks you to jump, you don't even ask how high, you just jump like your life depends on it.".
Now keep in mind that this was all maybe 3 feet away from said Mr. Moneybags, and he obviously heard the whole thing. So, my manager walks off to the corner to stare daggers at me, and I get to work.
After doing everything (all normal transaction stuff), he looks at my manager, then me. He then says, loud enough for all to hear, "Oh, and you can take the rest of the day off, that won't be a problem, will it?" The look on my manager's face was priceless! She couldn't say no to him because he's the center of the universe in that area and she (and the bank) knows it. So, I get my stuff and walk out with him.
Before I left he told me to let him know the next time he comes in if I got in trouble. When I asked him why he did that, he said because he hates how everyone bends over backwards to treat him like a king, just because he has money, and my manager was one of his worst offenders.
So, I got a free 1/2 day! My manager wasn't too happy with me for not coming back after he left, but I never did get formally reprimanded!
Edit - wall of text 0=)

Also this!

Yngwie Mangosteen has a new favorite as of 03:16 on Mar 18, 2017

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

I think checking reddit is just shooting fish in a barrel, so I'm going to stop.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Decrepus posted:

They were so scared to call their character a man or woman they used he/she. Wow.

Then switched exclusively to male pronouns for the end anyway.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Zelder posted:

please stop posting that ghoulish cat eye monster

Turn your monitor back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Also this, don't know how to do the multi-part.

http://imgur.com/a/Yi4Tt

edit 2:

Yngwie Mangosteen has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Mar 22, 2017