Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Uh, can someone translate me this into English? I have no idea what that's supposed to mean. Who's Harry? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Monicro posted:

In all fairness y'all do know that kissing and loving are different things, right

Of course they are, it's right there on the map :confused:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

is this loss

(no really, what's that supposed to be?)

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Scathach posted:

Well it's some sort of loss, yes.

It's supposed to be a "deconstructed Tequila sunrise" but I'd have to be way drunk way beforehand to consider that a mix drink of any kind.

This is spectacularly dumb, I'm actually amazed

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Man, I don't know. If somebody looked at me like this:

I'd take a step back too

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I haven't got the first idea about military stuff, but are bayonets really 43 inches long? That's like 1,30m, wouldn't it be unwieldy as hell?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

poo poo that did happen: nine times as many terrorists were engineers as you would expect by chance

Deport all engineers imo

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

A trucker making great money *and* being hit on constantly by hot chicks? Yeah right, lmao

Also, how do you “literally“ go to town on someone's rear end? Sounds pretty uncomfortable

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Fathis Munk posted:

I shuddered irl when picturing how insufferable they have to be.

https://youtu.be/GA2tpPl-9GQ

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

wow, a single run-on sentence and not a single punctuation mark in sight

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Apparently everybody in the world but me is a goddamn genius at memorising random song lyrics

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Good for the gorilla warfare Navy SEAL guy to try and find peace in other people's his art

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

kimcicle posted:

Caught up with an old acquaintance and he added me on facebook. He's the epitome of shit_that_didnt_happen.

I'd block him but this stuff is too funny to read.

He is taking his phone into the sauna?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

People actually believe this :cripes:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

WrenP-Complete posted:

Thank you, I could not understand how that was possible. I guess if you go out into fields during thunderstorms?

There was a park ranger who was hit by lightning seven times, so it's definitely possible.

Otoh tropers only rarely venture out of their basement, so them getting struck by lightning is, uh, rather unlikely

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

This amounts to about 150 pages (of mostly YA novels) per day. Truly, those 700-pages-a-week losers should tremble in the face of such awesome reading prowess!

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I like this guy better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMcrk-7QEiw

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

No idea why you linked me a Finnish Derrick spoof (I'm prolly just dumb tho), but it was pretty funny, so thanks anyway :v:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Besesoth posted:

Not to say that this isn't true, but grade-school classes are intended to be survey courses. You're supposed to get a general overview, and they deliberately exclude edge cases.

This comes up a lot for me as a trans person. You hear "XX = female, XY = male" or "vagina = female, penis = male" a lot from transphobes, because "it's basic biology!". Like: yeah, it's basic biology, which you learned in a class where they're giving you an intentionally broad overview of the topic that covers most cases but doesn't get into the finer details.

(Which connects up to the math story, actually; basic math tells you that nothing is bigger than infinity, but advanced math can acknowledge that there are multiple infinities, and so I wonder if ∞ counts as a digit. ∞^∞^∞ is a lot bigger than 9^9^9.)

I'm remember learning in school that "you can't calculate the square root of numbers ≤0!", Shorty afterwards my family was visiting friends, where the father was a professor of mathematics at the local university. I took a quick peek at his desk, and what am I seeing there first thing? √-1

I felt kinda cheated after that :v:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

It's pretty easy to make a way bigger number if you want to, the first thing that comes to mind is just doing 99, which is equal to 9^9^9^9^9^9^9^9^9, which is an absolutely gigantic number, that can't be effectively expressed through usual notation. Significantly more than there are atoms in the universe, and that's just using two digits. Because I mean who is teaching their twelve year old daughter about exponentiation and not tetration?

Tetration is cool as poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTeJ64KD5cg

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Sounds like someone wasn't let into Berghain and spent his evening composing this weird fantasy instead. Like yes, the club is famous for being a gay and BDSM hookup hub as well as an ungodly amount of drugs being consumed there, but somehow I doubt that they're making slip&slides by jizzing all over the floor there, and open fishing and buttsex is discouraged too I'm pretty sure. Also, “Balles Tief“ :laffo:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Why is it always the marines when you want to underscore how totally broken badass someone is? I never see anyone going “my dad is in the army, he'll gently caress you up“ in this kind of stories

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Every single one of these losers.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I would have threatened this kid with an academic dishonesty charge for improperly formatting his dumb song quote.

http://www.news-leader.com/story/ne...lobal/95335334/

quote:

Wallace said he really did hope for extra credit, but was also trying to conduct an experiment and planned to present his findings to his class, saying he "wanted to show how fast fake news spreads throughout social media, illustrate how gullible people on the internet are, and prove that you can't believe everything you see on the internet as well."

lmao, yeah right

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

This is spectacularly racist, wow :stare:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

“I spent my Thanksgiving blogging and protesting in front of my computer because my family doesn't want to endure my rambling screeds anymore“

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I don't think I've ever read anything where someone was described as being “visibly upset“ that wasn't really obvious stdh

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Cool, a time traveller from 1997 when it was still feasible that a company owner would let some rando design the website.

Also maybe I'm not reading it right, but why would the boss give a web designer “company truck access“? :psyduck:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

My grandma didn't even know black people existed before the GIs came rolling into her Bavarian village in 1945. Initially she thought they were just covered in soot :v:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Khazar-khum posted:

His IQ actually went UP from all this because of getting used to thinking on no oxygen.

Conversely, my IQ just became lower after reading this poo poo

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

It is/was actually not just a Catholic problem, tons of parents and schools and whatnot forced children to use their right hand. In many Asian countries this is apparently still the norm, even.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

ugh

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I loving hate that Tumblr trend of writing everything in capitals. At least that “I'm so furious/sad/literally shaking that I have forgotten how to spell“ bullshit seems to have disappeared, thank God

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I just realised that until now I've always mistaken Supernatural for Eureka, having watched neither :downs:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

TheMadMilkman posted:

I'm the mismatched pencil colors AND the different handwriting.

Seriously, this is about as obviously fake as can be. What the gently caress, BBC

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

So is it good? I thought the trailers looked good, and Gal Gadot (politics aside) is :allears:, so I would certainly be interested. But otoh it's really sad that all it needs is a female superhero protagonist for literally everyone to lose their poo poo, either because MAH SUPERHEROES or because all it takes is apparently a movie to redefine all of the societal gender discourse or something?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

ReidRansom posted:

The US, even when it introduces new notes, doesn't outmode the old ones for some dumb reason. They just get removed from circulation whenever they finally show up in a bank. It would likely be very controversial if they tried to make any old notes expire.

So bills and coins from like 1844 or something are still legal tender (disregarding the fact that they'd be worth way more than their nominal value by now)? That's kind of cool.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

So, Da(d)

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Trebek posted:

You can get around 120 chicken McNuggets for 30 bucks here in the states.

Holy poo poo :psyduck: here in Germany the same amount of nuggets would cost you the equivalent of almost $54