Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Christo posted:

I love how much the doctor screws with him in his story.

"I'm sorry, sir. With your condition survival is unlikely."
"It's worse than we thought. You have 24 hours to live."
"Oh actually looks like we were wrong! You're going to be fine. False alarm!"
"No, wait, forgot to carry the one. You're still hosed. You've got like until morning, tops."

Straight out of that episode of Archer where he gets diagnosed with breast cancer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

sweeperbravo posted:

A lot of stuff that slides into this thread isn't actually stdh but just stupid poo poo where you wonder why the author bothered to go to the trouble. Lot of content-type overlap with the idiots on social media thread

see also, every post ever made on these forums

Yeah it's like half made-up stuff, half cringey stuff that maybe happened but is pathetic

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Yep, makes sense that someone would confuse these two totally identical looking pills.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I often hear "party school" when someone is trying to explain why they didn't do well in college.

Too bad I've never had a job where they asked for my college transcript, or I would have used that excuse.

"Why did you only get a 2.2 your junior year?" :eng101:

"Party school." :heysexy:

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Nice dog whistle racism too

I don't know what you're talkin' about, boy!

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

EmmyOk posted:

PYF needs to just shut the gently caress about rape in every single lighthearted internet thread imo, the pedantic bullshit was way better than this :wooper:

Like being body-positive is great, but maybe being terrified of your own weight isn't really being "positive"?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Ytlaya posted:

It seems like the "I knew black people with ridiculous names" people are especially common among health care workers. My dad (x-ray tech) and all the nurses he works with mentioned such things on countless occasions. Like you said, he would get extremely defensive and offended if I mentioned that some of the stuff he said is a common urban legend.

The problem is that many people are heavily invested in the stories they tell as part of their identity. By questioning one of their anecdotes, it's like you're denying their very being.To play armchair psychologist, I think it might actually be related to insecurity in some way; like, these people are so desperate to have their stories validated that they find it genuinely hurtful if you're skeptical.

I just don't get why people do this. I was getting drinks with a friend who is working at a daycare, and she said that one of the kids is named "La-a". I frowned and looked at her, just said "... Really?". She gave me a really weird look back and said "yeah".

I dropped it because our other friend who was there started gushing about "omg people are so dumb and weird" and then a long conversation about dumb names started up. I kept out of it and just internally cringed at all the bs being spouted.

This is not a person I know to lie, so the whole thing was just... weird.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Captain Monkey posted:

Its not. I figure most people didnt make it, but in the end he meets a female astronaut and they hug because they bonded over women in STEM being ok.

Like, this is a definitely parody, its just not particularly well done so its unclear for a while that it is one.

Also he calls Hunger Games an intellectual masterpiece or something.

Ghostbusters story is good.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

moerketid posted:

People see a reflection of their 15 year old selves and the hatred is basically just "fuckin' kids and their stupid OH GOD WHY DID I DO THAT"

I watched the video and thought it was endearingly awful. Surely those poor girls will regret sharing the video with the world, but it didn't really stand out to me as much different than anything I did as a kid. I mean, they were just excited and having fun with a roll of foam. They didn't hurt or even inconvenience a single person, sooooo?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Xen Tricks posted:

I feel like the line between trolling and not with something as idiotic as otherkin is so thin as to basically not matter. It's all patently absurd so what's the difference

Here's a hint:

"Otherkin" have always been trolls made to mock transgenderism, perhaps on several sad and rare occasions glommed on to by naive, vulnerable teenagers.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

http://imgur.com/r/funny/ItWbTzi posted:

I've been holding onto this for years, and I feel like it's time to tell this story to someone. It may seem ridiculous, but this is all true.

When I say I lost the girl of my dreams, I literally mean a girl from my dreams. Ever since I was a kid, I've been able to have incredibly vivid dreams, most of which I can still recall today.

At about the age of 9, I began to have dreams about a specific girl that was also around the age of 9. As a child, I didn't think much of it, just someone to go on adventures with as I slept. We would play in the woods, eat candy, and fight monsters. We would play and protect one another in my silly little dreamland.

As I got older, so did she. We grew up together. And as we grew, so did the complexities of the dreams. We went from some little adventures to creating cities and forests with our minds. Whatever we wanted to bring into existence in our world we created. Trees, buildings, rivers, vehicles, you name it. One thing we created was a skyscraper in the middle of one of our forests, it was tall enough that we could see all that we had created from the top floor and was the focal point of everything. Also, we just thought a skyscraper in the woods was a funny idea.

In one dream, when we were at about the age of 17-18, she even showed me where she lived while I was away, in the real world. She took me to an area of the city that was the more like a ghetto, just a bunch of old rundown apartment buildings. I questioned her living choice, but she told me just to wait until we got inside. To get to where she lived, we had to traverse a variety of obstacles and doing acrobatics I am only capable of accomplishing in my dreams, climbing up the buildings. She finally led me through a window on a fire escape on the fourth or fifth floor, and the inside of this run down building was something I hadn't expected. It was beautiful, with luxuries I've never seen before in the real world, and curtains of many different colors hanging from the walls and ceiling . I remember being awe struck, but in my haze she came up to me and kissed me saying, "I love you." I woke up, sat up in bed, smiled to myself and couldn't help but whisper, "I love you too."

Back in the real world, I was going to school, dating girls, and just living my life. As I grew up my dreams of her and the places we created became fewer, but she and that world continued to come back to me, and I cherished each time I was there all the more.

During my graduate school years I met a girl, she was beautiful, funny, and an all around catch. We dated for a while, and eventually fell in love. I am happy to say that she is now my wife, and I wouldn't trade her for anything. However, on the night I proposed to her, a very happy moment of my life, something unexpected happened and it's something I'm not sure that I'll ever be able to forget.

That night, as I slept, I was whisked away back to a familiar world, but something was wrong. The sky was dark and gray, the city was in ruins, and a brutal never ending wind was blowing through it all. I didn't know what was going on, this had never happened before. The city was usually a bright and vibrant place and it was now reduced to something out of an apocalypse movie. I also couldn't explain the absence of "her," she would usually greet me with a big smile on her face when I dreamed of that place. I looked around for a while until my attention was caught by the skyscraper we had created. The wind and clouds were spiraling around it, emanating from it. I knew she was there, she had to be. I ran out of the ruined city and into our forest, once beautiful and green, now dark and menacing without a single leaf on any tree. It didn't matter, I had to find her.

I made it to the building, most of the windows had been blown out and the walls were crumbling, but it still stood. I ran inside and all the way up to the top and that's where I found her. She was sitting in a chair in the middle of the room, holding her face in her hands as the wind howled outside. I walked up behind her and put my hands on her shoulders to comfort her. She was shaking and cold, but she turned towards me and forced a small grin before she began crying again. I leaned down and wrapped my arms around her, my head next to hers. She whispered in my ear, "Do you still love me?" With tears coming to my eyes, I replied, "Always." She squeezed my arms tight and kissed me. Right after that moment, that brief moment, the wind rushed through that place throwing me from the building while leaving her sitting there. I fell to the ground and when I landed, I watched the skyscraper crumble and fall into pieces. I woke up.

It's been about 3 years since that last dream, and I haven't dreamed about her or the world we made since. I would like to see her again, and have my friend back in my dreams, but I don't think that is going to happen.

Don't get me wrong, I am happily married and am living as good a life as I can in the real world. It's just something that has been eating at me for a while and I wanted to share. I know it sounds ridiculous.

Has anyone else had recurring people or places in their dreams like this? Or am I just crazy?

Sorry for the long read, but thanks if you made it this far. If you have some actual advice, I'd like to hear it.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
Holy poo poo yeah they look awful.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

shelley posted:

the This Victorian Life people are huge douchebags who are basically cosplaying idealized versions of what they think Victorian People were like, and then getting super buttmad when people go "why are you dressed like that"

I assume they cosplay as racist, misogynist, classist, and every other "ist", right? Since being a historical nobleman was basically prissing around whilst hating and condemning anyone different

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
Yeah, no way there was an actual dragon in her shower. How the hell would it fit??

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Painful.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Paladinus posted:

A facebook group for supporters of Hillary Clinton.

Current political climate in the US is perfect for fresh stdh about horrible white men attacking women in the streets with threats of violence in form of well-prepared ten minute long monologues, and marines and policemen, brave patriots of America, standing against looting hoards of thugs who never explicitly said to be black.

Animal thugs, actually. Don't forget to imply how savage "they" are.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
Sometimes the Childfree stuff really gets me enraged, but then I realize that those types of people are usually not the kinds of people who I would like to make more people like them. So, for the sake of future generations, I hope the childfree movement grows even larger so they will be darwinned out of society forever.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
When I was a Wacky Kid we would take my friend's dad's label maker and label random things, such as:

The bag inside a cereal box
Doors
Every individual slice in a loaf of bread

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Dejawesp posted:

The name was needed because otherwise readers might mistake him for one of the other major civil rights leaders of the time with that appearance.

Lol the real stdh is that scene of carnage and white genocide behind them

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

TheMostFrench posted:

'Also, they touched the flower without asking. Everyone in this class is a rapist.'

This is really weird because it's like an idiot's understanding of this one Christian sermon that follows this exactly but ends with the guy stating "Jesus wants the rose!"

I guess maybe also conservative Christians love using the rose / "deflowered" metaphor as part of their slut shamings... gross.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
That bear's face is a travesty.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Lol if this guy thinks only 25 people hate him

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The woke baby/toddler stories are like the lowest of the low effort stdh's people make up. If you have any recent moms on facebook you'll see that kind of poo poo all the time. It's the next step in obnoxious facebook posting-about-your-kid - first phase is all poop talk and whining about not getting enough sleep, then once they can talk it's their time to show off how well they raised little Kaydyn or Brianthoni so they make up stories like that.

The worst example on my feed is a herbalife mom and every week or so there's another post about her "Herbababy" and how sweet she was to a (poor/black/homeless...pick one or any combination) person and how everyone started crying and her Faith In Humanity has been restored etc, always some story where she just doesn't "get" racism or sexism and laments about the state of society these days. By the way, our doctor said she was by far the healthiest child he's seen in years. Ask me to find out how! #herbalife #herbababy #hashtags.

All those people locked into the lowest rung of pyramid schemes, thinking they are "entrepreneurs" because they post about it 100 times a day on Facebook. That's some real STDH

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
Reddit is so freaking pathetic and desperate. It's almost not funny anymore.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
That story doesn't immediately scream fake to me like most others, BUT it was posted to Reddit for fake internet points so either it is made up or the parents are exploiting their child for karma.

Either way burn Reddit to the ground

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Jerry Cotton posted:

I too scream before christ.

Ah so you're THAT guy at my Church

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
Re: Hyper political third grader

Nine year olds can definitely talk like that, but they don't really know what the hell they're saying. Most likely they are parroting something their YouTube idol said. Case in point - recently, my nine year old nephew correctly used the word "ergo" in an argument with his dad. Who knows where he got the word, but it made us all laugh in surprise. The thing is though that the argument was about why he should get Minecraft on Nintendo when he already had​ it for three other consoles. So it's still a very childish conversation to have.

Kids try to talk big sometimes because they want to grow up. It's not at all a sign that they are mature, just that they are growing up. It's just plain stupid to imply your dumbass kid is some genius savant because he can copy a quote from Bill Maher.

That's all assuming that this happened, by the way. Which it didn't.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Catberry posted:

What's with black twitter and sponge bob?

The black Twitter subreddit isn't actually full of black people

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Catberry posted:

I know, I know. I just wonder where the connection comes from.

Bunch of white teenagers who think it would be hilarious if thugs black people watched a children's cartoon?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
From the"Pro Revenge" subreddit:

Reddit posted:

Pardon for my English as it isn't my first language. I was browsing /r/askreddit and came across a thread about whatever happened to that trenchcoat kid at your school. I was that trenchcoat kid and I came back in town and destroyed it (years ago).

As a background, I grew up in a conservative little town in a conversative rural area heavily dominated by religion. This makes people put great stock on moral purity and appearances. Keeping up the facade is the most important thing. Everyone must go to church weekly and people are heavily judged for appearing sinful. This was a bad thing for me as the cards were heavily stacked against me from birth.

You see, I'm a rape baby. My mother lost her parents when she was young and was taken in by her uncle and aunt. The uncle had an important position in the local religious hierarchy. So when he and a couple of his friends started sexually abusing my mom, it was ignored by everyone. When she got pregnant, it was painted at showing that she's a harlot running around seducing married men. She was cast out. Why she didn't move out of town, I don't know, but yeah. There I became into the picture, born out of wedlock and with no father, branded as a sinful outcast.

My childhood was poo poo. I don't go into details, but enough to say that by the time I started going to school, I was quite damaged. School made it worse. I was bullied relentlessly. Teachers were part of it, since they were all part of the religious community, which saw me as stained. Imagine being the only black kid in a town run by KKK and you get close to how it was.

So yeah, in school I became that trenchcoat kid or its local cultural equivelant. I became weird and hostile on purpose to turn people off. People were casting me into the mold of being damaged and stained, so yeah, I took it and turned it into something to protect myself with.

Despite all this opposition, I managed to graduate with decent grades. A distant aunt, my only decent relative, helped me get into a college in an actual city. She was the black sheep of the family and saw herself in me, maybe? Around this time my mother drank herself to death. Can't blame her for it. She had a life insurance policy that helped me study. City life liberated me. I went into therapy and managed to treat the wounds that town had sliced into me. I got rid of that lovely town, but I guess some part of it never left me.

Years went by. I became a sort of... analytical consultant. I work for an international company that does sort of out of the box analysis for other companies. I won't go into details to protect my identity, but we assists in solving all kinds of situations. Well, in my line of work, I'm sometimes called in to help downsizing operations. This sucks, I feel for the people who get fired, but if I wouldn't do it, someone else would. A couple of years ago I got an assignment to go into three different factories and assess them wholesale, then come with a suggestion on which of them to move abroad. My home town was among those three factories.

You see, the lovely town I grew up in was one of those "one smoke stack towns" like we say in my country. There was one factory and some agriculture - everyone worked in those jobs, like 60% of people in the factory. Rest of the economy rolled around supporting the factory and the people working there. Most of the people were looking forward at nothing but a job at the factory after getting out of school. The religious community running the town ran the factory as well. The big shots in the community tended to be bosses in the factory. This meant that the factory wasn't run that well; promotions were based on "holiness", not on merit or skill.

The trip back to the home town was glorious. Most people didn't recognize me at first. The chubby outcast had become outwards just another corporate drone. I inspected all the paperwork, listened all their speeches and lies, audited the processes. In the process I dropped hints and finally they got who I was.

The factory people threw a party for me then for the old times sake. Many of my old school "buddies" were there. We remembered fake good times together. I threw shadow on every part by pulling up some certain event of bullying I had endured, just see the atmosphere turn awkward. Then I laughed at it like it was always a joke and I had grown out of it. Inside I was seething with hatred and enjoying this all. I really loved seeing their faces, seeing what they had become, because gently caress it, I was going to take it all away from them. In the end they seemed relieved, believing that they were lucky it was me doing the audit, that the hometown boy would protect them.

After my visit - lasting a couple of days - was over I cruised around the town in my rented car, just to see how the people lived and to remember what it was like. My state of mind was something close to sexual arousal. I had never understood why people pursue positions of power, but yeah, now I understood.

The rest is, as they say, history. I wrote a really scathing report, documenting every little flaw and mistake ever done in the town plant. I didn't need to lie or fabricate - I simply took things that existed and polished them till they looked even worse than they were. The factory was shut down and in the following three years, the town died. No business venture ever came to replace it. Drug use and alcohol use spiked, as did crime and domestic violence. Lives fell apart, families fell apart. They still haven't recovered, save for a few brighter souls who moved away.

I still stalk them on social media sometimes, enjoying how lovely their lives are, how they all finally got to pay for what they did to me and my mom. I don't feel a slight bit of remorse. If I could do it all again I would - only I'd first make it so I could be present to watch when they received the news about the factory being shut down. Hell, in my fantasy version of the events, I'd stay in town for a year just to see everyone fall apart.

In reality, I will only go there back once - when my uncle finally dies, I'm going to go and piss on his grave.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
I think black/kkk is kind of a strange analogy for a "non native-english speaker" to use. And I get that there are other places with rural hyper-religious attitudes, but small towns with single, dying factories as the sole employer? Everything about this story screams rust belt America. Eh... I guess I could see it being Mexico or Central America, too. Maybe.

But most distressing imo are the other redditors literally getting sexual arousal at this totally true story of totally justified "revenge".

Drunk Tomato has a new favorite as of 20:13 on May 25, 2017

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
I accidentally deleted an RPG maker for PlayStation memory card that had a game I was working on for probably 200 hours.

I was really sad until I realized it probably sucked and the world was doin me a favor.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Piell posted:

6 foot baseball bat lol

Literally an anime character's weapon

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Catberry posted:

Had my daily reminder today when I saw a kid clutching a pillar inside a supermarket while laying on the ground. Using his legs to "run" while laying on his side he made sideways laps around the pillar while howling his lungs out because his mom wouldn't let him have something he wanted.

Like this but while clutching a pillar.

How we got to 6 billion people will never cease to amaze me.

Sorry but I'm a doctor and your brain is broken if you don't think this is the best.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

walrusman posted:

If it was true, I would sympathize with the lady in the pool story. But how does an unscalable brick wall just appear around a yard big enough to contain a pool, including the front yard which is apparently big enough that she can have an unscalable electronic gate for her driveway?

She also mentioned how her neighbors ignored her except to ask her to babysit. Lady has clearly never talked to a human mother, because NO ONE would let a goonie cat-lady stranger watch their kid alone.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Byzantine posted:

Or it's because if you ever mention that you don't have or want kids, you get stared at like you just grew another head and then swarmed with "who'll take care of you when you're old" "you'll change your mind" "you were a kid too!" "no see, constant screaming is actually cool and good" "i can't eat ice cream without hiding in a locked off room, but you're weird!" etc. etc. and it really gets loving old.

Thread title

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Also you call him Leonardo, not "Da Vinci" you loving plebian

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Haifisch posted:

The hilarious part is that they always name the most filthy casual level of 'sophisticated' things.

"Ah yes, I appreciate the finest artists of history, like...*tries to remember middle school classes* Van Gogh. :smug:"

Van Gogh is really awesome, to be fair

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

I love when STDH posters are so socially inept that they turn themselves into the antagonist in their own stories. Who would vague text a stranger from Craigslist or whatever like that???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
Looks like someone slashed her tires with some iceberg lettuces