Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The wolf looks as horrified as I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Even if I could while getting a tattoo, there's no way I would fall asleep either, apparently I thrash a bit.

That said, what is that even supposed to be? I know it's a heart design but I can't make sense of the rest of it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Should have been Burma Shave.

Like these people have ever heard of Burma Shave.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I can't wait for it to turn out vaping does something terrible to you in the long run besides just look really stupid.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ok Fella posted:

I keep hearing it causes popcorn lung which supposedly is moisture getting trapped in your lungs from vaping. I haven't done any googling on it though.

No, that's not popcorn lung. This is popcorn lung. Some vape liquids contain diacetyl, supposedly.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

CommonShore posted:

I've pondered getting a simple anchor on my forearm because that was my grandfather's tattoo and he was pretty cool, but I probably won't.

That's cool though? As long as you don't throw text at it an anchor can be a cool tattoo. It's just all these idiots that misinterpret things and get watercolor anchors with scrolls that say unsinkable or whatever in terrible kerning that are poo poo.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't know why but things like that make me feel extremely uncomfortable.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah you can usually tell when feral cats have been fixed by a clipped ear.

I've seen tattoo artists practice on pig skin before, but usually it isn't still attached to the pig.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Marta Velasquez posted:

I don't know what that is, and I feel better for it. Thank you.

How could you feel better not knowing this face

https://twitter.com/RefurbTheCat/status/712683854352490497?s=02

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Both of those stitching Ariel pictures make me deeply uncomfortable for some reason.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

MorgaineDax posted:

I drive by the sketchiest looking tattoo shop every day, and I finally looked it up on Facebook. So glad I did.

I know I make fun of typography a lot but in this case I literally can't read what that's supposed to say. It just looks like a bunch of stunted crosses with a tear drop at one end.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Busket Posket posted:

Tattoo Paradise of Shreveport, LA (aka "the tattoo place next to the karate place behind the McDonald's):

The Shop:

"Ham and cheese knuckle sandwich"

Okay, I thought this one was funny. Not funny enough to have permanently inked onto your fingers, but funny.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

MorgaineDax posted:

Y'all like swirly text? Well here is the tat for you, my friends.

Argh it looked like infected hair in the thumbnail and expanding it didn't really improve my opinion. Also what're the odds of that becoming a smudgy illegible mess in ten years?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

MoreLikeTen posted:

"this property"

Honestly it's probably just a straight copy from a sticker somewhere.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

sweeperbravo posted:

i'm assuming the person was going for some semblance of anatomical accuracy and/or thought the symmetry was cooler.

(i'm also assuming you know the heart is in the middle of the chest and are just referring to the left side because of cultural/symbolic custom)

Actually where in your chest your heart can vary. It's generally in the center and is slightly larger to the left, but in some humans it leans to the right. Hell, it's entirely possible for a person to have all their internal organs reversed in position, which is weird. So that heart tattoo is still anatomically incorrect because it's too symmetrical.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I can't type goods right now.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

DorkusMalorkus posted:

The face of a man who makes good decisions:

Edit: here have this too :nws:http://i.imgur.com/CaDzdWc.jpg:nws:

What I don't understand is who the hell thought buying ad space on a guy was a good idea?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

SaNChEzZ posted:

Pizza one is the best of the bunch

Yeah, at least they've had fun with it. If I see one more loving lock and key tattoo I will vomit though.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nice try, I meant the 'couples' version, where one has the lock and the other has the key.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

sweeperbravo posted:

I've never seen a pizza themed tattoo that I didn't like.

Oh really?

Found on tumblr earlier today.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

According to where I found it it's supposed to be a cat, and the text is "Get meowta here"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Trent posted:

At least the (+)(-) couples tat is easy to turn into (+)(+) after the breakup

Okay, that would be clever, at least.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Wait, that's supposed to be wings?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Please tell me someone paid him to do that. I can't imagine why anyone would willingly tattoo the name of a serial sexual predator on their forehead otherwise.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well, that's not funny, that's not funny at all. Maybe I just don't "get" modern humor but poo poo like this is way more worrying to me than funny, since it's so easily misconstrued when taken out of context (as inevitably happens, see above previous page).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Spines don't work that way. Also that is the ugliest depiction of one I've ever seen.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Eggbeater Jesus posted:

The only reason this is a terrible tat is that there's only one level of recursion.

I had a dream last night where that was his actual face, and I asked him about that, but I woke up before Hogan (the smaller mouth) could reply.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, beautiful tattoo except for the gangrene look.

Agreed, the person is good, the leaves look fine, but the green and red spots is just ugly and terrible.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I remember this one, still one of my favorites.

Edit: Holy poo poo, that's not even the same tattoo. Two different people got the same-ish crazy cat skateboard pizza tattoo.

Kwyndig has a new favorite as of 04:44 on Dec 15, 2016

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Palisader posted:

They really like that pseudo-Sailor Jerry style, huh? I also want to have a talk with them about how breasts work. And legs. Anatomy in general.

A lot of real bad cases of rubber spine on those tats.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

sweeperbravo posted:

It's actually kind of perfect

In the sense that it'll be gone in a few years because the idiot had it tattooed onto the inside of his hands? To get that even close to correct he would have had to get parts of it done on his fingerprints, I wonder how much that would hurt.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Cat Hatter posted:

I'd heard that most good artists won't copy another artist's tattoo (or even one that they've given another customer without permission)? Don't know if that's true, but it would explain the lovely copies.

If it's an original piece, yeah, they're not going to copy it. It's like a painting, you're not going to go up to an artist and ask him to make you a Mona Lisa. You wouldn't find a local artist and ask him to copy the painting he did for your buddy. Just because the medium is human skin doesn't make it any less unique, and a good artist will want to preserve that.

The exception to this is flash pieces, since that's not made specifically for a customer those are okay to copy, and most of them are made just to train apprentices anyway. There's only so many ways you draw the basic standards that a lot of people want.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

super size soft serve posted:

Even with flash it's not okay to just copy something you've found on IG. Artists generally sell flash sheets.

Right, I meant it's okay for the original shop to copy it onto you, not for some other shop to just steal it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bombadilillo posted:

I saw him stencil it. And get out weird colors. But I didnt say anything.

I can see people not noticing the colors or discounting it if they don't know anything about how tattoos work. The stencil I got no excuse for.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

hyperhazard posted:

Real question: How much would constant shaving ruin a tattoo? I realize it's only scratching off the top layer of of skin cells, but that has to be similar to getting a palm or sole tattoo, right?

Same question about those armpit tattoos posted earlier.

Actually palm and sole tattoos wearing off have less to do with constant use and more to do with the body's adaptations to the underlying skin because of humanity's constant use of them over their evolution. The skin of your palms isn't anchored the same way as the skin on say your arms or legs is, and your palm has no hair follicles, no tanning response, and a few other structural differences from regular skin. The soles of your feet are similar.

Basically the way that palm/sole skin works and replenishes itself will tend to fade and eventually destroy a tattoo as it forces the ink away from where the artist originally put it. It doesn't all come out with shed skin, it gets broken apart and then dissolved by the body as well from the immune response.

Normal tattoo fading from sun exposure is actually a tint caused by your melanocytes, but since palm skin doesn't tan it's literally your tattoo breaking down!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

rockcity posted:

Yeah, shaving wouldn't affect it at all. Shaving can exfoliate the top skin layer, but that layer doesn't actually even contain the tattoo ink. Exfoliating off that layer actually makes your tattoo look brighter so if anything, regular shaving would make it look better, not worse.

Yep, your tattoo ink sits just below the layer of your skin that houses melanocytes, the special cells that create melanin, your body's pigment. Which is also why white ink doesn't work on black skin, because their higher melanin content just washes it out instead of providing high contrast like you'd normally expect.

Edit: Technically, the ink is housed in a kind of scar tissue at that layer, which is why it even stays in place at all. Your skin kind of forms a shell of proteins around it (since it is a foreign body) that are somewhat transparent. Like I mentioned earlier, palm/sole skin differs structurally in that it can break that shell down over time and this moves the ink. Your body is otherwise really bad at expelling foreign matter it can't dissolve once it gets past the first few layers of skin.

Kwyndig has a new favorite as of 03:40 on Jan 23, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

HOT! New Memes posted:

These are not really terrible. Just average stuff from a local tattoo shop

Yeah, I looked at them and I was like "these are pretty normal", they're not great by any definition of the word, but they're not terrible either. Some of them have obvious imperfections, the feather one is pretty cliched, but I'd look at a tattoo like these on a person and if I felt anything it'd be disappointment. Just run of the mill subject matter and average to below-average execution.

Some of them the artist needs to work on their lettering, and if this is supposed to be an ambigram I can't loving read it that way.

Although the one with the guy cutting out his own heart really needed to be done instead by somebody with an actual grasp of anatomy and composition (not to make it more realistic, just to make it look a lot better).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

artichoke posted:

From one of my former students who dropped out and started doing free tattoos in her house:

I haven't seen such a strong argument for staying in school in a long while.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

RickVoid posted:

He already tried a fully-trained physician who told him this was a terrible idea, so now he needs someone who might not know better.

Yeah that would be a full thickness skin graft with an already deceased donor who was not properly stored (I severely doubt they've kept this guy's cousin on ice) to a patient without any injuries requiring said graft. No physician in their right mind would attempt it because there's no way it would work. It would reject immediately if the skin was still alive unless they miraculously tissue matched, and I don't even want to think what could happen if you just tried to graft a big chunk of dead skin onto someone.

So yeah, massive idiot.

(Edit for correct medical term)

Kwyndig has a new favorite as of 15:46 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hey, at least it looked like the Falcons were going to win... until the 4th :laffo: