Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
So there's a tattoo shack opposite my GF's local bar:

As a studio owner myself I just had to check out this place, I mean with a premises as inviting as that it has to have some gold right:

Oh, and to top it off, this is in their FB portfolio of pieces they want to do:

Check out the rest of the train wreck HERE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Thin Privilege posted:

I'm really looking forward to pics of these watercolors tattoos in 10 years and the internet posts :qq: ing about how bad they look.

It's already happening, only takes a year at absolute most for them to start looking terrible. The :qq: is hilarious coming from both artists claiming that clients just haven't looked after the work well and it's their fault that it looks like hot garbage, as well as the clients trying to claim that was definitely the look they were going for as they wanted it to be more 'subtle' and not look like a harsh tattoo from the 40's.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

strap on revenge posted:

Done by my uncle at Blindside Tattoo on 6th street in Austin, TX
Every tattoo I’ve gotten has had a special meaning to me, but this one tops them all.

That's so upside down that it hurts, they cant even use the excuse "but it's for meeee" as it's on the outside of their wrist that they can't even see without looking in a mirror.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

An artistic representation of "just big boned"?

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Heath posted:

The understood function of switches and buttons is to produce an effect elsewhere within their own system. These buttons aren't connected to anything except other buttons which reciprocate the effect endlessly. Thus, nothing of value is produced by the action of pushing the button. You can click a pen endlessly too, but nobody in the history of anything ever has defended that action as having a point, and at least that has a function beyond simply being there to click.

As Goodness said, this object is 'connected' to something. Each click, flick, press, spin, fiddle or whatever is psychologically linked to the operator, and each action they impart on the device helps them focus on the more important matter they are facing at that time.

If you want to just say you don't believe this stuff has a purpose then come out and say that, but your opinion would be flat out wrong.

I'm lucky enough that I don't suffer with such a condition but can still appreciate how this can and will have a positive effect on those that actually benefit from it and not just those buying it to have the new and hip executive toy.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

With all those X into hand tattoos, I bet the guys love it at first where all their friends are in awe of their comedic strengths.

Then they go home to jack off and jesus / popeye / ryu / [insert any character here] is looking up at them going "why, why you make me do this?"

Oh god... I bet some weaboos have considered this and there will be a bunch of anime waifu's with their arms out stretched into their hands about to surface.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

fullroundaction posted:

Dude I got a tattoo from in Philly just had one of his designs ripped off.

Shameful.

An artist that used to work in my studio opened his own last year, in his drive to find others to work with him he had a lot of potential 'artists' email him.

One of them had a tattoo in his portfolio that was a rip off of my guy's work. When my guy pointed this out the tracer got super offended saying it was his own original idea and if he didn't want him working with him he should just say so and not make that poo poo up as it can be damaging to an artist. My guy sent a reply with just a photo of himself holding the original framed painting. There was one word sent back to him in response: "sorry"

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

We did a save at my studio some time last year.

Guy had a cute name for his ex gf "tot" tattooed on his thigh.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Elsa posted:

I'm going to photoshop that to say Ambien as soon as I get to a computer. I've seen it too many times not to

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

So many small pastry tattoos. I never knew that was a thing.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Logical Conclusion:

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Obvious nipple aside, it's clear the 'artist' has no idea on tattoo theory either.

Faces should pretty much always face 'forward' on the body, or if on the front / back then they should face toward the centre.

It works well in the good pierce because of that, in the copy it's all facing backwards and of course is just terribad poo poo.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Elsa posted:

There are borders between values and hues but no lines so it's actually a fact and not an opinion lol

Seeing as you are incapable of using google i'll do this:

Skin is different from any other form of media you can vomit your naked disney characters onto.

Ink 'bleeds' under the skin, coloured inks do this dramatically, black ink does it the least.

Without an outline your disney princess tits would end up looking like a weeb staring at their favourite hentai and squinting hard enough to pretend they aren't jacking it to imaginary children.

With a black outline it will still be creepy as gently caress but it will hold it's shape and design for years to come so you can show everyone how grotesque you are for fantasising about children's characters naked.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Elsa posted:

These are great examples of tattoos that don't use linework, and no one mentioned anything about the ink fading over time or some poo poo. Stop being bad I guess

Here's a 'great' tattoo that doesn't use linework.

Here's the same tattoo literally months later.

it's all faded to poo poo, its blurry and fuzzy, the blood has no definition to it and it now looks like poo poo.

You know what, gently caress it, go and find a great artist that doesn't use black ink to define edges and understand the mantra 'bold will hold'

Get all the tattoos you want from them.

Do it now so we can start posting your poo poo in this thread by the end of the year when they all look terrible.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Elsa posted:

That would be a good reason to arrange the composition to have dark forms next to light forms. lol if you're using white on skin

Oh i finally get your gimmick. There is only one style of art, and it is in no way subjective and open to interpretation. Only your concept of art is what art is and thus anything else is just amateur hour poo poo.

GTFO you creepy softore disney fan art creator.

If you can show me a single tattoo that meets your criteria of being considered 'good art' and i'll show you a bad tattoo by just quoting your post.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Zil posted:

Indecisiveness the tattoo.

We call it "First Tattoo Syndrome" where someone in their mid / late 20's has been thinking about getting a tattoo for 10+ years and then wants all of them ideas cramed into one piece, but not too big because they wanna know how they feel before committing to a big piece.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

This is not terrible, but with any tattoo in that position I feel bad for your significant other who has to look at that during sex.

Squirrel is just looking for your nuts

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

whypick1 posted:

Doesn't seem like a good idea to tattoo someone who has eczema...which oddly enough makes it looks like the flag is on fire, which is something I'm sure this person has 0 problems with.

Kwyndig posted:

That's not a good cover up. White ink is loving terrible at concealing things.

Is this the new thing? Like when people try real hard to not be able to read text in tattoos.

This is neither a cover up, nor does the person have eczema.

The white and grey is poo poo, sure, but it's trying to add depth and folds to the material (in a terrible way), but it's certainly not trying to cover anything

The 'eczema' is just what grey wash looks like immediately after getting tattooed, when you perforate the skin a million times it'll get red, irritated and inflamed, give it a few days for the initial trauma to fade and that'll become a smokey grey background.

Stop trying to find things to call out as terrible when the tattoo itself is poo poo enough to stand on it's own in the hall of shame.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

pienipple posted:

I thought it was partially covering something too, what's the rest of the rashy looking red pattern above the flag?

dpack_1 posted:

The 'eczema' is just what grey wash looks like immediately after getting tattooed, when you perforate the skin a million times it'll get red, irritated and inflamed, give it a few days for the initial trauma to fade and that'll become a smokey grey background.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

There is a difference between grey wash and grey pigment.

Grey wash is essentially watered down black ink, it is semi-transparent when healed, or more accurately, like black ink with the opacity turned down.

Grey pigment is a solid grey tone to look like dark shades of white. It's got completely different characteristics.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

I guarantee this was what the artist was screaming in his head while doing this.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

CptSpaulding posted:

Fu%#in Pokemon... that poo poo looks like a small child traced some Pokemon and then they asked for the art on their leg. And that stupid Pokemon red ball thing on his knee. I could draw a better circle with my eyes closed. The only good thing about this sleeve.... he can put pants on and cover it up. When he's 40 or so? Why don't people realize that a tattoo is forever. Pokemon fan for life?

Literally the most influential and far reaching videogame in history, that has been going for over 20 years, 750 million players of Pokemon Go alone, a whole 10% of the world's population plays that game, has a HUGE fan following in excess of any form of media or entertainment in history and people that played the original when they were 15 will now be in their mid to late 30's already and most likely still interested in the series.

But sure, you don't know what a Pokeball is, and think it's just for little kids that need to get off your lawn right?

I mean yeah, it's a loving poo poo tattoo in terms of technical ability and layout, but to say there aren't any fans of such a monumental piece of entertainment media that have followed it for 2 decades and wont be for life is kinda naive. Or are you just trying to let us know how you are not into popular things?

Do you have the same reaction when people get band logos or song lyrics tattooed on them? "Really, a Beatles fan for life?"

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Yeah... i did just get done with a big-rear end rant over in the piercing thread, my bad there.

Just the whole "that stupid Pokemon red ball thing" made me roll my eyes with a dose of "I don't like popular thing"

Apologies to the thread.

I'll come back with some content for penance soon.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

I.C. posted:

Yeah. Lately I think a lot of this stuff that people are doing as tattoos they should really be painting, you know?

Erm, top right, that's clearly the closing scene of Fight Club, but why does it have the Watchmen Smiley Face under it? For Maximum Edge I know, but none of the others are mashing up two films as far as I can tell, so that one stands out to me.

Also: Memorial Tattoos - Don't get the dates at all, it's not like you're gonna forget when someone close to you died, so no need to get that poo poo inscribed in your skin forever. Just get some cool imagery of what that person loved, or what comes to mind when you think of them. To equate someone's life down to a single date in which they ceased to be is just some weird nihilism.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

sweeperbravo posted:

memorial tattoos- how about do what you want since it's your tat and you're the one who's grieving, so if you think the dates are tacky don't do it, and if you think the dates are important then put them

Ah yes, the classic "do what you want, as long as you like it then it's fine", it's a statement that leads to so much content on this thread.

Content:

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Shoehead posted:

As someone who mops the floor of a tattoo studio, Jesus CHRIST that floor.

This got me looking at my studio floor. The laminated wood looked great when I first bought it 5 years ago, but man is it looking aged now, nothing like this though. Still, if it ever started to look as frayed and scratched as that photo i'd be investing in tiles out of sheer embarrassment and worry that the council would shut me down as a germ factory isn't quite what they want to license for special treatments.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

No ring.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

I had a client walk into my studio once saying she wanted her daughter's name tattooed across her lower back.

The name in question was Savannah if i remember correctly.

One of my artists drew it up in a nice italicised script and asked her to double check the spelling. The new mother got frustrated with the question, asked why we dont just know how to spell it, and then asked if she could borrow a phone to call her friend (either her battery was dead or out of PAYG credit i think) to check how her own daughter's name was spelled because, and i quote "Come on, it's not easy to remember names, its not like i got a new phone and had to tell all my friends the new number, why would i know how to spell her name already? Shes only 6 months old!"

Utterly dumbfounded that she wasnt kidding about any of it.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

"I don't feel so good"

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Pastry of the Year posted:

everyone should get my username and avatar tattooed on them, to own the libs

Why would I want some Doritos tattooed on me though?

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

Going slightly of topic, another horrifying body mod thing.

I actually do stuff like this at my studio.

"Ribbed for her pleasure" is the joke so often said as if they are the first person to come up with that correlation.

Less obvious and a gently caress ton cooler are magnetic implants.

They are about the size of a small pill and you implant them in a fingertip or, in the case of my own, the back of your hand.

If its in your fingertip you can literally "feel" magnetic and electromagnetic fields. You can feel currents passing through power cords, you can feel anti-theft devices at the entrance of shops, and then there are party tricks of just picking up bits of metal.

I use mine in the back of my hand to stick needles to it when prepping a piercing. Get the clamp or receiving tube lined up then just grab the needle from the back of my hand rather than reaching over to my station again. Its actually really useful and i cant imagine not having it now.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

jit bull transpile posted:

*looks at title bar* weird, this isn't the Ask Me Anything About Performing Surgery Without a License thread

No anasthetic is involved. Its no different from dermal or surface piercings.

I sat with my local council to help draw up the guidelines for what they call "Reversible Semi-Permament Body Modifications".

Its a grey area at the government level and each local council sets its own rules and regs.

So long as im not using injectable anasthetics (topical products like Emla, Dr Numb, Blue Gel or Anasten is fine) then there is nothing illegal with silicone or magnetic implants.

Its obviously not for everyone and even i find the larger silicone implants a bit ridiculous, but breaks no laws.

As for the MRI question.

I suggest removing them but there is an account of someone not doing so and all it did was heat up a bit and actually restore some of the gauss rating of the magnet.

As for how big they are:

Few photos showing the scar from the incision, how its pretty much unnoticeable when my hand is relaxrx, how it protrudes if i clench my fist and push it to the surface, and lastly how strong it is.

dpack_1 has a new favorite as of 06:42 on Aug 5, 2018

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

I actually agree with some of the body mod stuff.

Healed things are a bit more palatable but even as a practitioner of the stuff, it can get pretty drat gory and those that take photos posing with the process being done, or immediately after, are clearly looking for the shock value of it more than anything.

Sorry I don't have any poo poo tattoo content to make this post anything more than an agreement that we can not post heavy body procedures here. By all means go throw them in the piercing megathread, folk there are more used to that kinda stuff.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

A story illustrated in 4 parts.

Got an email from someone that said they have had 7 tattoos in the past 2 weeks from a "studio" and she thinks the first 2 came out fine, but there are some that "need to be finished".

Here is the excerpt for why she cant go back to the "artist":

- "I can't go back to this other guy because I have proof he is a cocaine addict which explains everything to me as there were so many problems when I went back after the first one. No organisation, chaotic, He was very rude, insulting me and offending me during the last session. He picked up medicinal cannabis while we were outside having a fag between tattoos. I'm not against cannabis at all, I smoke it myself in the evenings but it's not professional to pick up drugs in front of a client lol I don't care how laid back I am I'm still a paying client! The 3 days were a nightmare, he ran out of gloves, Vaseline, and kitchen roll 2 of the days. He threw away inks while he was tattooing me moaning about the heat ruining them and they are worth thousands so he was in a bad mood on all 3 days. He was so agitated he took it out on one of my tattoos and because that one got infected I was sent to the hospital and the doctor said the guy has sliced into my leg and that the tattoo will scar and always be raised. I take the pain of tattoos well, they don't bother me and all my tattoos are in colour (or supposed to be) but when he did that one I was at the pint of tapping out because I thought I was going to pass out. He was digging into my leg and it was bleeding badly.
All in all I am gutted. I really need these tattoos finished." -

On to the tattoos in question:

Reference:

Tattoo:

Reference:

Tattoo:

Reference:

Tattoo:

Reference:

Tattoo:

I feel so sorry for the woman, I mean she is part to blame for continuing to go back after just an hour of work from the guy, but she's elderly, clearly being duped and manipulated and well, her body is just ruined.

These are unfixable, they cannot be "finished" or saved in any way. They are so large that covering them in any meaningful way would be days of work. They are so badly done that I doubt laser removal is really an option especially the colour stuff, even if it were that'd be immensely painful to remove and require dozens of sessions.

Just... urgh...

How on earth do I reply to that email and gently say "you have let someone completely ruin your body for life, please report them to the authorities as i doubt they are licensed, they have fraudulently conned you, you witnessed drugs on a 'professional' environment and good luck wearing clothes that cover every inch of those atrocities for the foreseeable future - we cannot fix that or help in any way"

dpack_1 has a new favorite as of 16:28 on Aug 9, 2018

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Should probably NSFW one of those pics for full areola and partial nipple.

Didn't even notice that when dealing with the full size photos being twice the resolution of my screen, and focusing on the horrific tattoos. Have cropped it.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Lechtansi posted:

Outside of this thread, I expect most people think of tattoo artists as laser printers for skin. Actual artistic ability doesn't even cross their minds.

It's this.

People dont see it as art, they remember the days of just walking into a studio full of flash in catalogues and on the walls that they would pick from and get tattooed. They just assume it's like tracing something on paper but done with a machine, so hand over these 'references' that they have found on the internet and believe the 'tattoo guy' just puts that on them and there is no difference in quality, they think people that charge £100's per hour are just elitist pricks trying to scam the general public rather than seeing that the 'artist' charging £20 and a case of beer is the one doing the scamming.

Even if i reply to this woman saying we 'could' cover it all, but each piece is gonna take a good couple days to cover at nearly £500 a day and so costing her upwards of £4000 in total she's gonna think we are trying to take advantage of her and possibly leave a poo poo review saying as such. There is no winning with people that have that mind set.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

I replied to the woman saying there is no way to salvage those tattoos and make them look even remotely like the original designs.

Said her options were either months of painful and expensive laser treatment before starting them all from scratch. Or larger, darker coverups both of which would cost her thousands.

Told her I was sorry that she was in this position and I strongly recommend reporting that guy to her council as i'm sure they are working without a license, and perhaps seek some like of legal advice, if he isnt licensed he could possibly be charged with assualt. We don't have much of a "sue the gently caress outta people" mindset here in the UK but she might be able to seek some justice. She mentioned elsewhere in the email about losing 30+Kgs in the past year so i suspect she's terminal and just wanted all these tattoos done and finished ASAP to enjoy them before she ... well ... couldn't.

The whole story just makes me sad and like LingcodKilla said, i get no joy from exploiting the elderly or infirm. Dude should loving rot for what he has done.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Snowy posted:

Seems like a nice black outline would do wonders for these

Yeah, if that black outline was about 9inches thick and went around the whole thing a few times.

Seriously, they are unsalvageable in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Got the 4 wrong on the clock face.

(Any good watch / clock brand will go with IIII over IV due to some historic bullshit that nobody can agree on, it's either a hold over from sundials before Romans adopted the IV V VI bit, a French king wanting a huge clock made and insisting IIII was the right way and so an "Emperor's New Clothes" thing went down, or simply it is more balanced symmetrically between IIII and VIII on it's opposing side, either way, only cheap faces use IV and that is by far the least bad part of the tattoo, just something that always jumps out to me as a watch collector)

Also, Zombie Boy was in Pirates of the Caribbean 3 for a bit part, I reckon he was on his way to be a support actor in a lot of movies as well as his fashion career and it's a pretty sad loss.