Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Psychobabble! posted:

Edit for content, all the same guy:

Is that a Jasmine Becket-Griffith piece? It is!

Wheres there's one there must be more...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Heath posted:

I think that mermaid one is covering up a scar.

Breast reduction? And she got a squashed mermaid to cover the scar and as a joke about what they found underneath.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

thecluckmeme posted:

HOL is pretty cool because, from my experience with it, it was very hard to follow. Footnotes that took up three or four pages that were just a story being told by a dude. To put it into perspective, the book's main pages are the rambling investigations of a mad man who is obsessed with a movie made about a house that doesn't make any architectural sense. The footnotes are written by the main character, who found this book in his creepy neighbor's apartment after he passed away. Everything is all topsy turvy to represent a bunch of different pieces of paper that aren't just all put together neatly, it's like a binder of poo poo loosely connected together.

So while reading it, some of the weirder stuff and non-sequiturs that could be relevant, as well as names I think may be important, I would write down into a little journal I had bought at Target to keep track of. It took a few dozen pages of doing this when I realized that I was now writing crazy notes about the crazy notes for the crazy notes about the crazy film made about the crazy house. I felt like the author had just dunked on me, for how often the footnotes-writer says "just put this book down man, or else you'll go crazy" and here I was with a book of different-colored pen ink trying to keep track of the weird poo poo in the book

So a more inscrutable Pale Fire?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Heath posted:

Cut off a cat's balls and gently caress up its hormones for life? Responsible pet ownership

Buy an animal a bunch of sick tats? Animal abuse

im joking ok don't dox me

Wait, I think I have a reasonable counter to this. There's always a risk when you put someone/thing under anesthesia and the trade off just seems more justified for controlling fertility than giving you pet a sick tat.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Busket Posket posted:

Tattoo Paradise of Shreveport, LA (aka "the tattoo place next to the karate place behind the McDonald's):

The Shop:

I see your strip mall shop and raise you a shack on the side of the road!

That's most of what this guy had up on his facebook gallery. The other 75% of images was, I kid you not, little thumbnail ads like this.

I guess I can't blame him for it though. What other angle is there to compete on when your next closest shop is producing this

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Telemaze posted:

What's going on with the raised red skin here?

Scar tissue I think? Considering how the marks are behind the dandelion head and trailing off it with the seeds but the skin around the lettering is fine, I think it's a coverup/incorporation of the marks as opposed to causing them. Also fits the inspirational message.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Landfill posted:

Jesus, you weren't kidding about that.

Why are people allergic to red ink specifically?

Of the small percentage of people that have a legitimate reaction to the ink/metals in the ink, more of them have a problem with the mercury in reds than other metals. It's possible for your basic black tat to turn into a grotesque, pus-filled monstrosity just from your body reacting to the ink; it's just not as likely as red.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

ro5s posted:

Does their body eventually get used to the ink and stop reacting, or do they have to get it removed somehow?

No idea. You remove it by cutting it out, and there's supposedly a case of one guy ending up having to have his leg amputated from it. Spot test your tattoo inks, folks.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

I will not believe this is not a marker.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I'm gonna go ahead and say it. Inspirational quote tattoos, while bad, are still better than minimalist, single line poo poo like that stupid wave.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Chichevache posted:

That's a harpy, right?

Harpy would have a lady head to go with the hooters. Also maybe not afflicted with a pox causing it to poo poo blood, what with being divine personifications of destructive winds.

Wait, there's an actual bird called a harpy.

It not that either.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Crust First posted:

That's the before for this fix:

My only problem with this is the shading around the image is just the right color to look like a bruise.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

The famed horned-ant of Texas.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Thin Privilege posted:

That's not even close. Poor Georgia.

It's like they took the O'Keeffe painting and said 'but make it more like a vulva.'

Fun fact: Georgia O'Keeffe actually really hated that people saw a bunch of yonic symbolism in her paintings. They were just supposed to be explorations of shape and color gradation.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

cool kids inc. posted:

I think maybe after it heals a bit, settles into the skin, it won't be so.....ill looking.

Also probably changes a lot depending on what light is hitting it. Bare florescents make everything look a little ill.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

bongwizzard posted:

The fidget club is pointless as there are already like, millions of objects in the world to fiddle with if one really needs them.

Here you go, please mail me $6million.

Don't those click? I've made fidget bracelets for kids, and the big thing there is something you can play with that wont make any noise and thus be a distraction for others in class.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

JuniperCake posted:

Oh god, it being a sword of truth inspired piece makes it 50 times better/worse.

Inspired? It's basically just the cover of one of the novels with the background sword and quote added on.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Morglock posted:

One of my friends got a tattoo today. He's been talking about it excitedly for weeks, now, but he hasn't explained what it was.

I didn't expect it to be this bad. And of course he posts the picture three hours after he gets home.

His words:

"For those of you who don't understand the tattoo,
the "kanji" and the symbol its about the elements, fire, water, air, earth.
The 5 points on the star represent the 4 main elements
and the 5th point going down represents "self".
The paw print is for my spirit animal.
Religiously, worship yourself and nature."

Anime and furries are satanic.

Jack Chick would approve.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
:cripes: Memories from hanging out with guys who were a little to into swords and anime resurfacing...

Godai is the classical system of five elements in Japan. It's from Buddism, and there's some book about swordsmanship that uses it so it shows up in white dude bushido sometimes. Not sure if it uses the kanji for wind or the one for air, and I don't know why the fifth element, ether/spirit, is omitted all together. Let's see what a GIS brings up...

Mystery solved.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

KiteAuraan posted:

One constant I've seen with any tattoo that implements kanji, or for that matter Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs or Chinese in any form is that they're all basically just run through Google Translate by someone with no understanding of the language in question.

You can throw Latin and Greek on there, too. Especially biblical stuff because they think it'll look more profound, and I guess Latin/Greek bibles are not actually super common things with the same chapter and verse system as English ones.

This has inspired me to look up bad Molon Labe tattoos, so enjoy:

The iconic Greek rat-tail helmet.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Byzantine posted:

The Spartans didn't write anything down, so their enemies couldn't learn their secrets. Unfortunately, that means our only sources for them are their enemies.

Which is also why Ares has such a bad rap in the usual "Greek myth" stories, while Athena is perfect and virginal and daddy's favorite.

In Rhodes' version, Helios was the first god worshiped by mankind, and Athena was his wife.

All this. Also Athens, the enemy doing pretty much all the writing, had a weird hate/love relationship with Sparta where they alternately admired their stoic, super-jock ways, but other times ragged on them for being dumb brutes who thought with their spears.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Scratch Monkey posted:

People also usually fail to grasp that there was no monolithic Greek identity as there is today. These were essentially different groups of people who spoke more or less the same language and had similar religious beliefs but spent most of their time on conflict with each other.

Yeah, but that's pretty much any place pre-nationalism.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Mizuti posted:

This one is my favorite.

And the wings one looks like it came straight from deviantart.

I...I kind of love this. It's adorably bad.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Combatant posted:

The gently caress does that mean?

They'll never love again?

They have a bad ticker, and are worried about needing a heart transplant at some point?

Who knows. At least whatever facebook meme they got it from got lose/loose right.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Improbable Lobster posted:

Who decided armpits should have that many nerve endings anyway

Do armpits actually have a bunch of nerve endings? That just seems silly.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

genetic_knockout posted:

There are a poo poo-ton of important nerves that run through your armpit:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brachial_plexus

rydiafan posted:

There's a massive artery that goes right through your armpit. It's actually one of the most quickly lethal places to get stabbed/shot/etc, so you want to be very aware of any damage happening to it.

None of this indicates and increased amount of mechanoreceptors in the armpit like you find in the hands, feet, and lips. :colbert:

Also that is totally teenage girl's notebook font.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I had the sole of my foot done and ended up not finishing it because every time the needle hit the tendon the muscle would spasm. Muscle cramps on top of the usual pain really sucked.

Here's some sole tattoos to make this post worth your time. I think I got all real ones. People are way to credulous about drawn on poo poo and henna.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

nerve posted:

Water color is so loving BAD!

Like as a style?

I think watercolor tattoos are kind of fascinating because technically and stylistically they're pretty drat cutting edge, but the actual content of them is largely the kind of photoshop kitsch you usually see accompanying inspirational quotes on Facebook. It's like playing Firework on a Stradivarius.

Prime example:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

gamera009 posted:

There is nothing technically cutting edge about being sloppy, and cutting out all of the actual technique that makes a tattoo last longer than a few months.

Unless being technically garbage is being cutting edge.

Technically as in technology. While other styles benefit from what you can do with the newer inks, watercolor tattoos wouldn't exist without it. And dropping outlines has gone from lazy to deliberate stylistic choice at this point, even if it's a dumb one in the long run.

You can stomp your feet and huff that they're stupid and won't last and yadda yadda, but my point still stands that watercolor tattoos embody what's new and changing in the art of tattoo. They are entirely dependent on the best technology in color and application, as well as a deliberate change in technique from traditional methods. That's cutting edge, even if it's not necessarily good or guaranteed to stick around for a long time.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo poetry is a low bar, but come on.

Like a soldier standing
On two feet I won't
Surrender nor will I
retreat.

What does it matter if metaphorical soldier is on two feet? Well it wouldn't rhyme without it, and that's important so lets break up the verse so the rhymes are randomly scattered through it.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Pershing posted:

Metaphorical Soldier sounds like the missing WuTang member.

Kicked out for his terrible flow, no doubt.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't it, like with pretty much all other tattoos, better when there's a solid outline?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
That feeling when think you've found a really bad tattoo, but in the once-over before you hit post you realize it's just drawn on.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

I'm kind of digging this. It's the perfect tat for a gothic punk edge-lord if you're never going to grow out of that.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
That is some top quality notebook-cover art.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

fullroundaction posted:

What the gently caress is happening in the bottom 20% of this image :stare:

Obfuscate my stupid pot tattoo because you can't do an actual cover-up?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Thin Privilege posted:

Nothing can top Lady Gaga's horrifying and terrible Bowie tattoo

I just can't believe how terrible it is. She's a millionaire... why? How? And she's proud of it?

E: in comparison, goon Kelly Doty's version (the eyes are supposed to be like that btw)

If Gaga got a good tattoo of Bowie it wouldn't look right with all her other lovely tattoos.

Bad celebrity tattoos are one of the great mysteries. All I can figure is that they aren't willing to research a good artist or wait on an opening in their schedule, and so they just go with so-and-so from their circle's cousin who can be at their hotel room in an hour with an ounce to get them through the process.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

The Vitruvian math class doodle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

DumbparameciuM posted:

White Lions are known to have a really high rate of genetic defects due to massive inbreeding:

True, but that's a tiger.

Actually reading up on it, a lot of the problems with white tigers and lions are traits of albinism, not inbreeding. Not that the inbreeding isn't a problem too, but they're just genetically kind of hosed up even before they started compounding it with all the cousin-loving.

there wolf has a new favorite as of 23:00 on Mar 9, 2017