Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Mordja posted:

DOn't forget the :pcgaming: rumor that the Nvidia's new chipset will be stronger, cheaper and turn lead into gold!

yeah but we're probably not getting any consumer pascal gpu's until next year. nvidia's been saying that they're focused on supercomputing with pascal this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Mordja posted:

What, really? But I need to upgrade but I also want to wait until Pascal before I do.

The last that I had heard was that nvidia basically said that the new Tesla cards would consume their production of Pascal GPUs till Q1 2017.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this though.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

They did put Rise of the Tomb Raider on Steam though.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Remember though that more and more gamedev is being done via scalable middleware engines like ue4 & unity. Sony is likely banking on downgrading for the PS4.0 being relatively simple.

Which probably has a grounding in reality if the existing flood of HD remasters on the PS4 is anything to go by.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Sony probably just wants to make a new PS4 that can read UHD Blu-Ray discs and supports HDCP 2.2

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Popular Human posted:

Has Nintendo even done anything special with the New 3DS other than Xenoblade Chronicles and some SNES roms?

Much better HTML5 support in the browser. Native playback support for 3D videos.

Hyrule Warriors is basically new 3ds only but isn't.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Awesome! posted:

what happened then

:rip: super lehman bros

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

playstation whoa

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

they already did. you can plug your bone into a 1200 dollar pc with an oculus and play bone games in a virtual theater.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

Well, that would be one way of skirting the issue of wrong RAM. Everything just plays on your winders 10 PC. Or is this going to be one of those deals like Geforce Now or PS Now where it's game streaming from butt servers?

Of course it makes the Windows 10/Xbox even more pointless in the face of Steam.

cloud to butt is my favorite extension

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

hell, i've seen people rig up their own cloud streaming service using an ec2 instance and steam streaming

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

lol how much does that garbage cost per month? Seems excessive

$0.53/hr

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

agreed. my pitch:

u run a small pokemon blog. its up to u to bike around town and find cool pokemon to take pictures of for ur blog. sometimes you can help people around town on quests and they will in turn call you later on when they see a cool pokemon "Hey theres a Charizard taking a drink by the lake! Hurry he won't be here long!" So you hop on your bike and try to get to that part of town and hope it's still there, but there's other cool stuff on the way to distract you. There's also little kids running around town and they will offer to tell you where something cool is for a few bucks($$$$real world money why not$$$$). That's basically the lottery portion(gotta have gambling) and sometimes the kids will be right, sometimes they will be lying and its just a kakuna.

anyways as you get better and take more pics your blog gets more popular and eventually you can travel from your small single player town to the MMO portion where now you're racing other photographers to the good pokemon making all the allies and friends you can to get the best scoops before the other bloggers. there is irl twitter integration so the pics you take get automatically posted and irl retweets increase your in-game blog popularity.

idk im just an ideas guy my uncle makes the games.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Animal Crossing is already a "check in every day and play for a few minutes then put it down" type of game already so it's honestly not surprising that they'd go mobile with it.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

if it was planned that far in advance, i'm wondering if it isn't so much an upgrade as it is a redesign of existing hardware, like a slim model or something.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

univbee posted:

Blu-ray discs on on the order of pennies for 50 gigs, 32 gig SD cards seem to be sub-$15 on eBay.

Contract price for 32 gigs of NAND flash is $1.50 right now. Blu-ray replication is around $2-$3 for a dual layer (50 GB) disc with packaging.

Basically: Smartphones, tablets and SSDs have driven the costs of NAND flash way the hell down, and as less people are buying optical media in favor of streaming, the pressing costs of blu-ray haven't dropped to the level that the CD and DVD formats have.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 5, 2016

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

We've come full circle and cartridges are cheaper again.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Jokes on us the NX is going to distribute games on amiibos.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

And then they majorly hosed that up by putting America and Japan in the same blu-ray region. So all the Japanese fans would just wait for the American release and import that instead of buying the overpriced Japanese release.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Considering the console standard is 30fps as opposed to the PC standard of 60, that may get them to push rendering resolutions a bit.

Still probably not 4k but upscaling/downscaling 1440p doesn't seem out of the question tbqh.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah the ps4 was designed before the standards for 4k video were established. The neo corrects that and is just like a slim console only now technology is advanced and software dev streamlined enough to include moar powah

Also now there's a disc format with movies in 4K and because the physical specs for the discs are different, you need a whole new player to watch 4K Blu-Rays. So the PS4K is pretty likely to include a UHD Blu-Ray drive to accommodate that as well.

And if you're the kind of person who's jumping onto 4K at this early point, you're probably going to give a poo poo about things like streaming bitrates vs disc bitrates and all that.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 17, 2016

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

bloodychill posted:

My 60" Quattron is so damned nice I refuse to buy a 4k TV until I can get a high quality 60" for less than $1k. Sorry TV manufacturers, ball is in your court on this one.

e: oh yeah also there needs to be a 4k Roku too

Yeah, I got a 60" no-name for a decent price and it has a really good 1080p display. The speakers are crap, but I already had a surround sound system so that was really not a problem for me.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The N64/PSX era is interesting in hindsight because it's the last time that there's a significant difference in how games look between the major platforms. It's also the last generation where multiplatform games aren't the norm.

Once you get into the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era, games look much more consistent between platforms, and the big 3rd parties like EA and Activision start publishing multiplatform games as the rule, and that's really the start of modern gaming.

But I do remember the fights about which system looked better, with people preferring the blurry low-res textures of the N64 or the jittery, pixelated images on the PSX.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

bloodychill posted:

You say this until, horrifying everyone, all NX Nintendo games are mobile stamina games. Get ready to pay 5 USD for 100 Mario Jumps. Believe me it's happening, I read this somewhere.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

People have been predicting Nintendo's next console would be VR since the days of the Gamecube. If I wasn't on my phone I'd dig up some of the hilarious speculative 3d renders of yesteryear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX2smM87r14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

the company behind them went bankrupt and all they ever released was a wireless keyboard meant for htpcs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm-2f8nV8Cc

wait i was thinking of a different attempt at making a console out of a pc nevermind.

• Locked thread