Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I finished the end of my second playthrough. This time I took my time in both final fights:

Hacking A2 was pretty cool, and the final hack was loving awesome.

Fighting 9S was also a good fight. I think I was way overleveled the first time, so this time I let him hack me a bit. I had no idea he could gently caress up my movement/targeting/sound/visuals/weapons/etc. It was a cool experience.

Anyone have any thoughts on the DLC? I didn't do it my first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The DLC has some cool items and a quite sweet story, but mostly it consists of high-level arena battles so you have to have a lot of tolerance for the combat system. if you really want more Nier Automata I'd say it's worth a buy, but the game is perfectly complete without it

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

square enix are talking about nier at tokyo game show tomorrow so we'll find out more then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM6B2TbB_xI

quote:

22:00 to 22:50 – Square Enix: NieR TGS 2020 Special Programming: The “We Have a Decent Amount of New Info” Special (YouTube) – The latest information on NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139…, NieR Re[in]carnation, and NieR: Automata. Featuring Yousuke Saito (NieR series producer), Yoko Taro (NieR series creative director), Keiichi Okabe (NieR series composer), Saki Iot9 NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139… director at Toylogic), Daichi Matsukawa (NieR Re[in]carnation director at Applibot), Takahisa Taura (NieR: Automata game designer at PlatinumGames), and MC Hiroki Yasumoto (Grimoire Weiss voice actor in NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139…). (Pre-recorded, subtitled in English.)
23h until that segment starts roughly

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

2house2fly posted:

The DLC has some cool items and a quite sweet story, but mostly it consists of high-level arena battles so you have to have a lot of tolerance for the combat system. if you really want more Nier Automata I'd say it's worth a buy, but the game is perfectly complete without it

I didn’t know there was a story to it, I thought it was just the arenas. Is there a summary somewhere?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The DLC fights were fun, but they're also unreasonably high level so if you're going to do them and expect to do more than single digit damage, get ready to grind.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A model kit of the Flight Unit just hit the Squeenix store: https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/612682/nierautomata-plastic-model-kit-flight-unit-ho229-type-b-2b-yorha-no-2-type-b

Also rerelease of the Play Arts Kai if you need a large 2B in your house.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

A model kit of the Flight Unit just hit the Squeenix store: https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/612682/nierautomata-plastic-model-kit-flight-unit-ho229-type-b-2b-yorha-no-2-type-b

So, looking up some numbers, seems this is somewhere between 1/20 and 1/24 scale, give or take (making the flight unit 17 and a half feet tall.), about the same as most model cars, Bandai's Sakura Wars and VOTOMs kits, and Kotobukiya's Hexa Gear line.

Assuming decent articulation from 2B, and that the skirt doesn't get in the way, there's a pretty good chance you could have her driving the Batmobile.

Definitely interested, but non-Bandai kits are pretty variable in quality, so I'll want to know more before buying. (Including if we're talking "the finer details look nicer if you paint" painting or "there's one color of plastic" painting)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Midjack posted:

Anyone know what their preorder policy is like? Like, do they charge your card right away or wait until the item ships?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

As someone who got into Gunpla in the last few years, I am very tempted. Although I'm sure this will require painting in a way that most Gundam models don't, looks to be a pretty simple colour scheme though. Might get one.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Anyone know what their preorder policy is like? Like, do they charge your card right away or wait until the item ships?

Pretty sure charge at ship, I’ll paw through my account from the last time I preordered from there.

EDIT: yeah, looks like charge at ship.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 24, 2020

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Midjack posted:

Pretty sure charge at ship, I’ll paw through my account from the last time I preordered from there.

EDIT: yeah, looks like charge at ship.

Thanks!

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://mobile.twitter.com/SquareEnix/status/1308846204286099458

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

1 minute: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdeByqqu6gg

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Replicant this and Bro Nier that, where's 4K Dad Nier :sassargh:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
April 22nd. There's a White Snow edition which has cool stuff

Noir still looks kinda racist

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

looks like April 23rd for all platforms west going by the stream, but they were jumping between dates for the steam version so we'll wait and see. they did showoff pc footage with the debug menu and it's p much automata visuals since they're targeting ps4/bone

also the nier re[in]carnation mobile game is coming west as well

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What I saw of the stream was very wholesome. They all seem to be very nice boys who enjoy a good laugh together.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The ongoing story arc of Yoko Taro being extremely jealous and petty about Keiichi Okabe getting any praise at all is amazing :allears:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Here is the general trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RESDyWoiJJE

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1113560/NieR_Replicant_ver122474487139/

Steam page is up with pre-order available.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ahahaha, "the upgraded prequel of NieR: Automata," goddamn

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I played the dad version, I forgot there was a brother version.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I'm going to need someone to mod in Papa Nier to this. Brother Nier is ok but Gary Busey Nier is where it's at.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I hope Laura Bailey can still do her Kaine voice.
The upgrades combat looks good, but I do think there will be something lost without Nier's clumsy swings and terrible footwork showing off that he's entirely out of his element.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

yeah the English cast was all really solid.

also I would love to buy that Grimoire Weiss case on it's own even with nothing inside, it looks rad as hell.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Soysaucebeast posted:

I'm going to need someone to mod in Papa Nier to this. Brother Nier is ok but Gary Busey Nier is where it's at.

This, plus dad Nier had a great English VA.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If the game doesn't start with "Weiss you dumbass!"

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBVJXPqU7Vw

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Anyone wanna buy a £2,000 statue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_w-IQsUW64

To be fair, it is a very nicely detailed and large display.

https://www.hlj.com/nier-automata-masterline-statue
"Normal" version
Delux version
2B only version

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

it's a shame the three characters never teamed up like that in game. maybe in nier 3...

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

statue description posted:

Looking at 2B's gorgeous features is almost like looking at her directly through your game screen, with her delicately painted lips glistening in the light, and her soft blue eyes shining from under her hair.

:chast2b:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

“I bought this panty statue for the lips, eyes, and hair!”

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
"You're thinking about how much you **** NieR Automata, aren't you?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDTc2v8AKDo

Made a little video essay (my first one ever) as a retrospective on NieR Automata. Mostly just talking about my experience, Yoko Taro, game design techniques, and the divisive opinions that not only I had but that I heard from many people on the internet, including the good people here, so thanks to everyone for their insight!

No pressure to watch it though: I understand if you don't want to watch yet another hour of someone rambling about this game. Also, if you never played the original NieR and are waiting for the Replicant remake, maybe don't watch as I do spoil some points in that game in one of the sections, and I wouldn't want to ruin that experience for you.

But anyway, if you're interested, it's something to kill some time while we all wait for more NieR in the nier future!

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

FutureCop posted:

Made a little video essay (my first one ever) as a retrospective on NieR Automata. Mostly just talking about my experience, Yoko Taro, game design techniques, and the divisive opinions that not only I had but that I heard from many people on the internet, including the good people here, so thanks to everyone for their insight!

No pressure to watch it though: I understand if you don't want to watch yet another hour of someone rambling about this game. Also, if you never played the original NieR and are waiting for the Replicant remake, maybe don't watch as I do spoil some points in that game in one of the sections, and I wouldn't want to ruin that experience for you.

But anyway, if you're interested, it's something to kill some time while we all wait for more NieR in the nier future!

Thanks for the spoiler warning....but I doubt its actually necessary. Thanks to ff7 remake and taro being taro, the "nier remake" is probably a 3rd possible timeline compared to the original gestalt and replicant and is also a direct sequel to the ending where 2B swallows the fish and dies in automata.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Unlockable 2B / 9S / A2 in Nier Remake would own pretty hard.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
New Ending E where nothing else changes but the city teleports into Drakengard to finally close that loop

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

FutureCop posted:

Thanks, I enjoyed watching this.

Your section on Ending E touched upon something I found interesting with both Nier games, which is that they use a strategy of subversion to strengthen the impact of the finale. I had never played Nier 1 so in the early hours, there was a lot in Automata that indicated it was going to be another cliche JRPG with pandering sexy characters until I realized later in the game that it was much more than that. Playing Nier 1 afterwards, I noticed it had a similar approach of presenting a pretty bland hero's quest in the early game and then turning it on its head later. That made me think about the "bad" parts of both games; things like the repetition, obtuse mechanics, and off-putting early presentation are weak points when taken at face value, but I think they might be a necessary setup for the emotional climax that the games are shooting for. I think of "art" games as games that sacrifice what you would traditionally call "good" gameplay in favor of desired aesthetics, story, or emotional impact, so in this sense I view both Niers as more in that category than any other.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Nuclear take: game would be better if the gameplay didn't suck.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
It's essentially like a walking simulator except with fights, in this essay I will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mymla posted:

Nuclear take: game would be better if the gameplay didn't suck.

Counterpoint: You would better if you didn’t suck!!!