Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Larryb posted:

There hasn’t been any update lately on if/when the anime is coming back has there?

Nope. The hiatus is indefinite at this point. I'm sure we'll get a nice shocker story when it eventually comes back because I'm guessing it would be a breach of contract if they straight up cancelled it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Paperhouse posted:

If you haven't started yet, you might want to begin on easy mode. The intro is kinda long, you can't save and you may die. You can change the difficulty any time

Dabir posted:

Followup to this, *don't* start on hard mode. The damage is brutal.

Yeah, I've read a little bit of the dark id's lp some time ago and I remember something about that

Thanks for all the advice!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Nope. The hiatus is indefinite at this point. I'm sure we'll get a nice shocker story when it eventually comes back because I'm guessing it would be a breach of contract if they straight up cancelled it.

And now we have a return date:

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1672170511940603907

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The last 4 episodes of the anime are out now and a second cour has been confirmed (no release date yet though)

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Any thoughts? I haven't seen the anime, but I'd be interested in hearing how the VA performances and moments compare to the game. I'm sure a lot of it is similar, but I think hearing a second take of some of the big scenes might be a lot of fun. And also, what twists are developing, exactly, in terms of timeline fuckery and whatnot? I'll take spoilers or nonspoilers.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The anime is decent overall and basically seems to be a combination of the first two routes (also all the VAs from the game reprise their roles in both the Japanese and English versions), each episode also ends with a puppet show covering one of the miscellaneous endings of the game

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The woman who does the English voice of 2B played a bit part in a community-theater mod for FreeSpace 2 I helped make...oh, fifteen years ago. Wild to see her killing it in Nier.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

General Battuta posted:

The woman who does the English voice of 2B played a bit part in a community-theater mod for FreeSpace 2 I helped make...oh, fifteen years ago. Wild to see her killing it in Nier.

If I remember right she did stuff with Newgrounds back in the day and yeah it is cool to see just how far she has gone.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

UP AND ADAM posted:

Any thoughts? I haven't seen the anime, but I'd be interested in hearing how the VA performances and moments compare to the game. I'm sure a lot of it is similar, but I think hearing a second take of some of the big scenes might be a lot of fun. And also, what twists are developing, exactly, in terms of timeline fuckery and whatnot? I'll take spoilers or nonspoilers.

Well, there have been several changes in who lives and dies at various points. No larger impact from that yet, but I suspect it's going somewhere for the back half.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
I liked how they did the "You're thinking about how much you want to **** 2B aren't you?" part, and it's still just as ambiguous.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I started playing this a couple weeks ago. You might not know this, it's actually a pretty good game! Currently about halfway through the 9S version of the story. Anyway, I'm running into this bug where I can't interact with a quest icon. It's right in the middle of the city, overlooking the crater, on the top of a tilting building. It's not the racing one - that one was bugging out too, but I managed to trick it into spawning eventually. I reckon it's part of the Three Wise Machines story, but there's just no machine there. The first time I went there, there was this thing where the camera was centring on some empty space where the quest marker ought to be, and it would whip around to keep that spot in focus, but that stopped happening a while ago. I've fast-travelled into and out of the city a dozen times now, makes no difference.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, that side quest was bugged at least for me, it just shows up forever I guess because Three Wise Robots isn’t a “real” sidequest wrt completion %.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Necro-thread!

My cousin got me this for Christmas.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

Necro-thread!

My cousin got me this for Christmas.

That is beautiful.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
That is legitimately amazing and such a unique art style I had to search it out. It gives me Aeon Flux vibes which is a vastly underappreciated art style.

https://cypritree.com/collections/foil-embellished/products/nier-androids-of-war

The artist has a lot of MonHun and Soulsborne stuff.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

pentyne posted:

That is legitimately amazing and such a unique art style I had to search it out. It gives me Aeon Flux vibes which is a vastly underappreciated art style.

She also got me the Malenia one. :v:

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/1741481424551899210?t=1-Abg81zbIdUl_cMSKTEzA&s=19

I'm sure this is nothing to worry about

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Drakengard 4 real

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Looks like an ominous shadow version of the cutesy taiko drum doodles his wife does of various Drakengard characters.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I can hear a drum.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

I can hear a drum.

So that is how we reach the final ending.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I am so ready for more Tsukiru

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, there hasn’t been any word on when the anime’s coming back yet has there?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

On another note, there hasn’t been any word on when the anime’s coming back yet has there?

No, after the poo poo show of the season 1 release schedule i expect they won't say anything until half of season 2 is already in the can.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Midjack posted:

No, after the poo poo show of the season 1 release schedule i expect they won't say anything until half of season 2 is already in the can.

Yeah that makes sense

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus
yoko taro: posts a little guy on new years exactly the same as he did last year, except it's a dragon instead of rabbit like last year because last year was the year of the rabbit and this year is the year of the dragon
nier fans everywhere: is this a new game???? it has to be a new game right???? new game CONFIRMED

guys we already have a new game, it's called nier reincarnation and It loving Sucks but it finally sorta linked back to automata like a month ago, like 2.5 years into its run

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ShimaTetsuo posted:

yoko taro: posts a little guy on new years exactly the same as he did last year, except it's a dragon instead of rabbit like last year because last year was the year of the rabbit and this year is the year of the dragon
nier fans everywhere: is this a new game???? it has to be a new game right???? new game CONFIRMED

guys we already have a new game, it's called nier reincarnation and It loving Sucks but it finally sorta linked back to automata like a month ago, like 2.5 years into its run

That’s the mobile game right? I didn’t even know that thing was still going

What’s wrong with it again out of curiosity?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Larryb posted:

What’s wrong with it again out of curiosity?

Larryb posted:

mobile game

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Any other glaring issues aside from it being a gacha?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Larryb posted:

Any other glaring issues aside from it being a gacha?

that's pretty much it, but it's kind of a big enough deal imo, it's just a generic gacha autobattler with a nier skin that mostly plays itself as you collect a million different currencies to make a number go up so you can see the next bit of story. It does have a story though, but I hit the wall before I could finish it so I can't say if it's good or not.

at least it's free (as long as you don't value your time too much)

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Well I want these stories put into a regular game!!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ShimaTetsuo posted:

mobile games aren’t real

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus
I enjoyed the main story well enough. Not all of the ~20ish characters' stories inside of that are interesting though. A lot of the more minor storytelling is exactly the "weapon story" formula (4 parts, with a dark twist).

I've never spent any money on it and I've gotten through all the main story stuff. It does get quite tedious.

But if you want to get to the point where the this game actually ties in to Nier stories you actually care about, you'll have to slog through all 3 arcs, basically.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ShimaTetsuo posted:

I enjoyed the main story well enough. Not all of the ~20ish characters' stories inside of that are interesting though. A lot of the more minor storytelling is exactly the "weapon story" formula (4 parts, with a dark twist).

I've never spent any money on it and I've gotten through all the main story stuff. It does get quite tedious.

But if you want to get to the point where the this game actually ties in to Nier stories you actually care about, you'll have to slog through all 3 arcs, basically.

There were a couple of events that directly explain Nier lore but unless they added a feature to play past events you'll never see it.

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

pentyne posted:

There were a couple of events that directly explain Nier lore but unless they added a feature to play past events you'll never see it.

yeah i probably missed those.

if mobile games aren't real, then limited-time special events in mobile games are definitely not real!!

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

ShimaTetsuo posted:

yeah i probably missed those.

if mobile games aren't real, then limited-time special events in mobile games are definitely not real!!

But a limited time Sinoalice event is how we know Emile remembers Nier eventually!

Yes that's right Sinoalice, not even the Nier mobile game.

Also gently caress that's gone and I never got around to loading it back up for the story whoops.

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

Captain France posted:

Also gently caress that's gone and I never got around to loading it back up for the story whoops.

welp, they also announced the end-of-service date for nier reincarnation today. there's one more chapter coming out before then.

if you've been on the fence about trying this wonderful game, you have until the end of april, then it's gone forever, like tears in the rain

if you're worried about wasting money on this, they already shut down the store, you can't buy poo poo now. all you'll be wasting is your precious time.

on the plus side, once this thing is done they have to make a real new nier game, right?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

ShimaTetsuo posted:

welp, they also announced the end-of-service date for nier reincarnation today. there's one more chapter coming out before then.

if you've been on the fence about trying this wonderful game, you have until the end of april, then it's gone forever, like tears in the rain

if you're worried about wasting money on this, they already shut down the store, you can't buy poo poo now. all you'll be wasting is your precious time.

on the plus side, once this thing is done they have to make a real new nier game, right?

Oh wow. I know most of it's also on YouTube but I do hope either they make a Megaman X Dive Offline type thing or some fans backed it up for a revival. SinoAlice too.

So you actually play Reincarnation? Does the gameplay ever get any more depth than just auto battling? How long do you think it takes until the story picks up? I tried it at launch and bounced off a few chapters in.

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

Captain France posted:

So you actually play Reincarnation? Does the gameplay ever get any more depth than just auto battling? How long do you think it takes until the story picks up? I tried it at launch and bounced off a few chapters in.

ive been playing daily for the past 234 days. i have never not auto-battled and i've gotten through all the story pretty easily. just have to auto-loadout a team of the right elemental affinity and spend some time clicking through menus to spend points to level up all your characters/weapons/companions/memoirs/etc.

some of the newer modes like recollections of dusk supposedly require more in-depth strategy, but i've never figured it out, just seems impossible from where I'm standing. I think there's some story locked behind that one, unfortunately.

most of the 20+ character stories are not really related to one another (except the characters that come in pairs), or to the overarching plot. some are more interesting than others. I also didn't really care too much about a few of the early ones (like dimos/rion, or argo). I enjoyed the second arc's main story (sun and moon) more than the first arc's (girl and the monster). the third (final) arc's main story is kind of a mess of bits of closure for all those characters plus some incomprehensible mysterious stuff and then a reference to an automata short story that seems to imply some connections between the two (but I haven't played the latest chapter that came out yesterday).

if I'm counting this right, the main story currently involves about 200 battles (~100 in arc 1, ~60 in arc 2, and ~40 in arc 3).

I did enjoy it but it's pretty difficult to recommend because you do have to get through a lot just to see little bits of story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Because we cannot have peace on this Earth, the recent Nier concert had some new Lore Stuff, post-Ending-E Automata stuff, stuff from the Replicant remake, and of all things, seemingly canonizing elements of the Church Hoax, because why the gently caress not.