Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

DanielCross posted:

Because we cannot have peace on this Earth, the recent Nier concert had some new Lore Stuff, post-Ending-E Automata stuff, stuff from the Replicant remake, and of all things, seemingly canonizing elements of the Church Hoax, because why the gently caress not.

Looking forward to seeing this at the Atlanta show :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I'm going to see it tomorrow in Dallas.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DanielCross posted:

Because we cannot have peace on this Earth, the recent Nier concert had some new Lore Stuff, post-Ending-E Automata stuff, stuff from the Replicant remake, and of all things, seemingly canonizing elements of the Church Hoax, because why the gently caress not.

It's kind of awe inspiring, is this literally just Yoko Taro making these calls? At some level you have to respect the hustle.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

susan b buffering posted:

Looking forward to seeing this at the Atlanta show :unsmigghh:

See you there in a few weeks!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Goin to Chicago for the Saturday show. Appropriate that the last trip I took was the Jan 2020 concert right before covid shut everything down.

COVID do be spiking tho so be careful out there and mask up.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
gently caress you europeanishly

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Automata anime will return sometime this year

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7fUKep-1AXs

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/NorcalGBVS/status/1759753837584531487

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Wait....they put 2B in Granblue Versus? :psyduck:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The list of her cameos grows smaller by the day.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

AlternateNu posted:

Wait....they put 2B in Granblue Versus? :psyduck:

Honestly it's a pretty natural fit as they share a character designer

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Plus she's been in Soul Calibur already.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
She’s in everything because she’s insanely popular even all these years later

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

She’s in everything because she’s insanely popular even all these years later

Automata's sold over 8 million copies now. That's more than Metal Gear Solid 4, the Final Fantasy 7 Remake (through 2023, at least), any Fire Emblem game, any Kirby game, any Megaman game (by a lot), any Persona game, all the Final Fantasy Tactics games combined, any Pikmin game, or any Metroid game.

It's huge for an RPG, getting numbers that even Final Fantasy has to respect, and a lot of it comes down to 2B, with her design drawing people in, and her combat style and role in the story keeping them long enough to get hooked. Makes sense she'd get a lot of cameos.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

also yoko taro and yosuke saito like getting free money

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Automata's sold over 8 million copies now. That's more than Metal Gear Solid 4, the Final Fantasy 7 Remake (through 2023, at least), any Fire Emblem game, any Kirby game, any Megaman game (by a lot), any Persona game, all the Final Fantasy Tactics games combined, any Pikmin game, or any Metroid game.

It's huge for an RPG, getting numbers that even Final Fantasy has to respect, and a lot of it comes down to 2B, with her design drawing people in, and her combat style and role in the story keeping them long enough to get hooked. Makes sense she'd get a lot of cameos.

Still blows my mind that a sequel to a niche game like Nier blew up this hard. As someone who was obsessed with the original for years, never saw that coming lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Archer666 posted:

Still blows my mind that a sequel to a niche game like Nier blew up this hard. As someone who was obsessed with the original for years, never saw that coming lol

it's even crazier if you're someone like me who was obsessed with Drakengard for years lol

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Augus posted:

it's even crazier if you're someone like me who was obsessed with Drakengard for years lol

I never played it but goddamn I was all over that soundtrack

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

they figured out the secret to mainstream success: decent combat and robot rear end

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

my bony fealty posted:

they figured out the secret to mainstream success: decent combat and robot rear end

Also a loving incredible soundtrack

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
B route is seriously lacking at least 2 of those things

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

9S qualifies as a robot rear end so it’s really only one.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Also a loving incredible soundtrack

But yes a new 2B crossover naturally also means a new Weight of the World remix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v8Ve0mpExM

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Augus posted:

Only thing crazier is not getting a sequel or similar follow up in 7 years afterwards

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Unless you want to count the mobile game (which you probably shouldn’t). But yeah, it is odd they haven’t announced a Nier 3 or even a Drakengard 4 by now despite Automata doing fairly well as I recall.

Has Yoko Taro even done anything notable since then for that matter (assuming he stlll works for Square)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 27, 2024

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Larryb posted:

Has Yoko Taro even done anything notable since then for that matter (assuming he stlll works for Square)?

He did the Voice of Cards trilogy, which turned out to be a weirdly bland (for him) turn based JRPG with no frills or twists.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I would love a drakengard 1 remake that’s fun to play

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

3 incorporated some more Nier-esque combat into it right? But yeah, a remake with better controls/combat could be nice

At least the original Drakengard had some weird rear end concepts going for it (like giant cannibal space babies), not sure if you could salvage anything from 2

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 27, 2024

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Larryb posted:

Unless you want to count the mobile game (which you probably shouldn’t). But yeah, it is odd they haven’t announced a Nier 3 or even a Drakengard 4 by now despite Automata doing fairly well as I recall.

There was the NieR remake.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Abhorrence posted:

There was the NieR remake.

Technically that was just an English version of Brother Nier with some extra content (albeit a decent amount of it) but yeah, that too

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Larryb posted:

Technically that was just an English version of Brother Nier with some extra content (albeit a decent amount of it) but yeah, that too

Completely redid the combat, added a ton of new content including full voice acting, and finally implemented the original planned final ending. It was a pretty substantial project.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Mario, Sonic, Kirby, Pikachu, YoRHa Android No. 2 Type B.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Still a classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM1xQAjGvis

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

Larryb posted:

we've been over this: reincarnation is officially nier 3, it came out like 3 years ago and it will be gone forever in 2 months.

there's been rumors from the nier concert series that the word "R3PENT" flashing across the screen is a hint about an upcoming nier 3, which is nonsensical because yoko taro has been very clear over and over that reincarnation is nier 3.

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/1762328460633235560

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ShimaTetsuo posted:

we've been over this: reincarnation is officially nier 3, it came out like 3 years ago and it will be gone forever in 2 months.

there's been rumors from the nier concert series that the word "R3PENT" flashing across the screen is a hint about an upcoming nier 3, which is nonsensical because yoko taro has been very clear over and over that reincarnation is nier 3.

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/1762328460633235560

OK, Nier 3 is a pointless waste of time so I hope we get Nier 4

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

stev posted:

OK, Nier 3 is a pointless waste of time so I hope we get Nier 4

that's fair, but in a discussion about "what's yoko taro even been up to", it seems weird to just ignore this game? I mean, there's tons of story in there. yoko taro doesn't do more work when the gameplay is like automata vs when it's like reincarnation, does he?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

ShimaTetsuo posted:

that's fair, but in a discussion about "what's yoko taro even been up to", it seems weird to just ignore this game? I mean, there's tons of story in there. yoko taro doesn't do more work when the gameplay is like automata vs when it's like reincarnation, does he?

Pretty sure he mentioned in an interview (jokingly or not who knows) that PlatinumGames was so good at their job he had nothing to do.

I'm paraphrasing and It's Yoko Taro but I'm sure there's a hint of truth there.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

ShimaTetsuo posted:

if they wanted me to give a poo poo they shouldn't have made it a bullshit gacha game

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

ShimaTetsuo posted:

I'm sure he's working on it, I just wish it amounted to anything good or worth anyone's time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Bleck posted:

if they wanted me to give a poo poo they shouldn't have made it a bullshit gacha game

nier reincarnation offline edition