Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is there anything in-game that explains exactly what the grimoires are? I figured it out on the wiki (apparently they are the gestalts of promising youths with strong magical talents that got placed into books instead of replicants for...reasons) but I can’t recall any in-game explanations of this.

Also is there any game that touches upon the Hamelin institute, the red eyes and the war with legion? It seems like all that would have had to have happened in between the end of drakengard ending E and the beginning of nier replicant, and I don’t think any games go there (except d2, maybe, but likely not since it’s resoundly ignored in the taroverse canon) but it also seems like an awful lot of lore to just never use for anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is there anything in-game that explains exactly what the grimoires are? I figured it out on the wiki (apparently they are the gestalts of promising youths with strong magical talents that got placed into books instead of replicants for...reasons) but I can’t recall any in-game explanations of this.

Also is there any game that touches upon the Hamelin institute, the red eyes and the war with legion? It seems like all that would have had to have happened in between the end of drakengard ending E and the beginning of nier replicant, and I don’t think any games go there (except d2, maybe, but likely not since it’s resoundly ignored in the taroverse canon) but it also seems like an awful lot of lore to just never use for anything

Some of that is super obliquely referenced in the doors dlc but that's the main thing that comes to mind. I think doing a prequel about that stuff would be a perfectly cool way to go for nier 3.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The Nier timeline is vast and there's any number of events between the two games or before or hell, even after that could make great games in and of themselves.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Doctor Nutt posted:

The Nier timeline is vast and there's any number of events between the two games or before or hell, even after that could make great games in and of themselves.

Yeah I want to see the series go further and further forward in time - with the gap between each game exponentially larger than the last.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

As somebody who hasn't played the original Nier, I honestly can't imagine the game with Dad Nier

The concept interests me enough to want to see the changes, but probably not to the point of playing the original game

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

There’s a ton of lore that fills the gap between Drakengard and NieR and none of it is at all important to anyone’s understanding of the plot in NieR itself, but its super fascinating to read through to see just how hosed this universe got when the Drakengard universe collided with it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I still kind of prefer the dad Nier version simply because while brother makes a lot more sense narratively, putting a grown man in the same position is more interesting to watch. Dad Nier is more world weary but still wants to see the good in people because of his daughter. His interactions with Weiss feel more like two adults debating rather than a grown man talking down to a kid who doesn't pay him any mind. Kaine's where it becomes pretty off and brother feels a lot more fitting, but you can kind of think of her as what Yonah could become if he wasn't around to take care of her.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Sharkitten posted:

As somebody who hasn't played the original Nier, I honestly can't imagine the game with Dad Nier

The concept interests me enough to want to see the changes, but probably not to the point of playing the original game

Having played both it's honestly pretty impressive how well it works in both ways. There are some notable changes to dialogue between the two titles which I chalk up to being more than just a re-localization.

Dad Nier is a lot more world-weary. He takes every sidequest he sees not because he's young Bro Nier who wants to lend a helping hand wherever he can but because he wants as many resources as possible to support Yonah. A number of Dad Nier's throwaway lines and reactions to circumstance create a sense that he's picked up experience and wisdom in the years prior to the game. Bro Nier often reacts with confusion or alarm when wild poo poo happens especially in the first half; Dad Nier does too but less so because he's drawing on what he's already been through. Certain scenes play differently even with small changes - Bro Nier's conversation with the King of Facade prior to the wedding plays out like a casual conversation between peers, Dad Nier frames it more like offering advice. Dad Nier's VA, Jamieson Price, does a lot of heavy lifting with the role as well which is half the reason it works as good as it does.

If you are interested The Dark Id's LP of the original version of Nier is probably going to give you a perfectly fine run through the experience without needing to devote another few dozen hours to it.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I only played as Dad, and I can't think of it any other way. It was a father sacrificing himself for his daughter and it just fit so well, especially with the end reveal.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I always liked the idea of keeping Nier and Yonah’s relationship ambiguous aside from “blood relatives”, and pegging Nier’s age somewhere between Brother and Father. That means you can take advantage of numerous plot details that work with one age but not the other.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think Dad Nier would just be all-around worse if it weren't for Jamieson Price tbqh

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

:toot:

Now I can finally read all the CIA bars in this thread. Really enjoyed this game. Still think I like Automata better but Kaine and Emil are such great characters, I'd love to see a game with them as the stars.

Now the big question is if I should replay Automata. I've already 100%ed it so it would be a really relaxing playthrough I think, I'm just not sure if I want to deal with the slog that is most of Route B.

axeil fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 8, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So are all the memories in the Forest of Myth references to Grimoire Nier characters?

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Finished getting E ending and just wanted to say I really enjoyed this game. Won't bother 100% cause I believe Lunar Tears just doesn't exist for me or the thought of collecting 100% of the words since I'm only at 53%.

However with this new knowledge, the first couple of bosses in the final Nier raid in FFXIV really hits me in the feels.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Just got ending E. Just the right amount of challenge. Perfectly pleased with how it ended. Ain’t no way I’m plat this game cause gently caress those grinds, but fun times.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

axeil posted:

To be fair, it's a really nice kitchen knife.

So I finished routes C and D yesterday and (C&D spoilers): does the game never explain the whole "snow in summer" bit at the start or why the hell gestalts and replicants exist? or what devola and popola actually are? I could've sworn there was some vague info in Automata but I can't remember and I was really excited for all that lore

Is there anything I can read/watch/etc. that explains all that stuff?

Oh and (C/D spoilers): the extra scene after Emil falls into the black hole Popola makes really got to me. The whole thing about his sister and the drawing and her being the one to save him :smith: Stuff in Automata hit me a bit harder emotionally but that sequence was imo, the strongest bit of storytelling in the game

Spoilers answered. It's not snow, it's Salt. When the final boss of Drakengard 1 fell into Japan it spread a sickness that basically said 'hey give me your body as a mindless zombie, or you'll turn to salt and die.' Lot of people weren't hot on it apparently as salt is everywhere. The dragon Caim rode in on is what brought magic into the world.

Scientist were trying to find a way to combat the salt army and that's why 6 and 7 exist.

A cure was never really found in time so as a final ditch the save humanity people used magic to sever soul from body. The plan was to ride out the disease till it's totally gone then put the souls in empty vessels then go back to normal- but the vessels began to form souls after years upon years and they now see the Souls as enemies as 'what the gently caress are these things.'

I need to know if some trophies are bugged. I've done 55 quests and still don't have the do 30 one, and I've slammed this pig into sheep for a hour and should of gotten that one as well.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I just finished the last quest. Pretty happy to see 100% quest marks. No idea how I'm gonna get the achievement for upgrading every weapon to max or the one for having a million gold but I'll probably figure it out

Maybe I should like, beat the game? I haven't gotten any endings yet

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Momomo posted:

I still kind of prefer the dad Nier version simply because while brother makes a lot more sense narratively, putting a grown man in the same position is more interesting to watch. Dad Nier is more world weary but still wants to see the good in people because of his daughter. His interactions with Weiss feel more like two adults debating rather than a grown man talking down to a kid who doesn't pay him any mind. Kaine's where it becomes pretty off and brother feels a lot more fitting, but you can kind of think of her as what Yonah could become if he wasn't around to take care of her.
I kinda like that some parts of the game work better with Bro Nier and some parts work better with Papa Nier. It means I've got a reason to replay the original occasionally! The difference in banter is also pretty great, I love Kaine's post-timeskip reaction in the original:

quote:

Kaine, to a freshly skeletonized Emil: "Of course I recognized you, I knew right away."
Kaine, to Nier who looks largely the same as last time she saw him: "Hey, you look like poo poo."
She has a conversation where she says absolutely nothing about Emil's skeleton form (because he's clearly uncomfortable with it) but is perfectly willing to turn around and kindly inform Nier that he’s ugly. That’s friendship. :allears:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is the act 1 sidequest max 50% or 51%?

Also does finishing act 1 affect my garden?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

It's 50% in the new Nier Replicant

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is the act 1 sidequest max 50% or 51%?

Also does finishing act 1 affect my garden?

50 percent and no, respectively, assuming you're talking the new release.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sharkitten posted:

I just finished the last quest. Pretty happy to see 100% quest marks. No idea how I'm gonna get the achievement for upgrading every weapon to max or the one for having a million gold but I'll probably figure it out

Maybe I should like, beat the game? I haven't gotten any endings yet

The million gold is easy to do in combination with farming materials with the now-included DLC.

DLC spoilers but not really spoilers because there’s not a lot to it

Run the third door over and over to collect all the rare material drops in the third room, and when you complete the whole run you get 50k each time. Since you’re probably going to want to do this a few times to get those materials you should get a few hundred thousand in total, then just save then go sell everything in your inventory to pop the trophy and reload to get your stuff back.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Just got a loading screen where Popola says Kainé is "Put together in all the right places".

:wiggle:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man I'm replaying Automata while Replicant is still fresh in my mind and it's like... Criminal that Emil isn't fully voice acted in this. I know he's just a vendor but I need to hear my absolute boy doing okay. :ohdear:

e: And right on queue I unlocked his side quest. :unsmith:

Also I feel like it's got to be a bit of a troll that many rare material drops from Replicant are basic common drops in Automata, but Titanium Alloy is still a massive pain in the rear end to find.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 8, 2021

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

The million gold is easy to do in combination with farming materials with the now-included DLC.

DLC spoilers but not really spoilers because there’s not a lot to it

Run the third door over and over to collect all the rare material drops in the third room, and when you complete the whole run you get 50k each time. Since you’re probably going to want to do this a few times to get those materials you should get a few hundred thousand in total, then just save then go sell everything in your inventory to pop the trophy and reload to get your stuff back.

That sounds rad! Thanks for the hot tip.

Do I actually have to get an ending to access that baked in DLC, though?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sharkitten posted:

That sounds rad! Thanks for the hot tip.

Do I actually have to get an ending to access that baked in DLC, though?

It’s not open until you’ve cleared A, iirc.

There’s nothing to gain from holding off going through the endings though, everything carries over and if anything it just means you won’t have to literally play part 2 over and over to get all the endings without having something else to do to break them up. You need to do it at minimum 3 times to see A, B, and then C/D can both be done with the same playthrough if you save before the finale and reload, but this means your save won’t be stamped with the C complete icon and you’ll feel incomplete so you might be looking at a 4th run through part 2 just for that

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018
Working on route C. How would I go about getting Faith if I already got past the Aerie?

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018
Oh no

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Terrible news

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ruffini posted:

Working on route C. How would I go about getting Faith if I already got past the Aerie?

lol

now you have to finish the game and go through it again but this time buy the weapon before you talk to that guard

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I got the OST and god drat all of the music for the final level in this game is like an 11 out of 10. I keep listening to the Shadowlord's theme mixes just wishing they were longer...

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

I got the OST and god drat all of the music for the final level in this game is like an 11 out of 10. I keep listening to the Shadowlord's theme mixes just wishing they were longer...

It's really really good, yeah. Even in a soundtrack full of other unforgettable tracks it stands out

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

History Comes Inside! posted:

now you have to finish the game and go through it again but this time buy the weapon before you talk to that guard
Not that it helps at this point, but you can also get Faith in the first half of the game by doing all the stuff in the Forest of Myth. The Aerie vendor has it just in case you missed it the first time, so... yeah, RIP.

Fortunately, I can tell you from experience that you can replay the C route really, really fast by skipping cutscenes and being overpowered. I've managed to get to the final save point of the game in about two hours.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Finally got around to doing another run for Ending D. Who decided that bosses are nigh invulnerable while battle banter is going on. Why. Onto the E run now. :shepface:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ChaosArgate posted:

Finally got around to doing another run for Ending D. Who decided that bosses are nigh invulnerable while battle banter is going on. Why. Onto the E run now. :shepface:

Original game let you kill bosses mid banter which led to people just standing around to hear it. I guess this was them trying to solve that by putting heavy armor on things.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Having the DLC only give you static xp is a real weird move

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Okay, so this might be a really stupid question considering what this game is about, but what is the best place to fight shades? All the farming places are robot-related and the third DLC door gives you like... rusted clumps and pyrite, which I already have a lot of

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Why does Nier adventure at all when growing a single field of rice pays more than every side quest in part 1 combined

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

goblin week posted:

Okay, so this might be a really stupid question considering what this game is about, but what is the best place to fight shades? All the farming places are robot-related and the third DLC door gives you like... rusted clumps and pyrite, which I already have a lot of

It depends a little bit on why you're fighting them and what you want; lots of farming places focus on specific rare drops for upgrading equipment. If you're looking for xp I'd say head either to the Lost Shrine at endgame and chew through all the shades in close proximity in the interior, or go back to the forest of myth and talk to the fortune teller to do the prologue battle arena over and over.

Specific farm spots for shade materials from ending B route onwards:

-Go back to the underground laboratory, and move forward until you go down one floor. The first room on the second floor down will spawn about 50 tiny shades, which have Dented Metal Bat as a rare drop. Once they're dead just pop back upstairs then back down again to reset the room. You need 21 total for all weapons that use it.

-Go into the southern plains during bright sunshine (you can see blue sky above and clear shadows from terrain) and there will be 16 big shades with hammers. They drop Broken Wristwatches as a green drop, but it's one of several things the green drop can be so they're pretty rare. I think you need 11 total and this will take a long time.

-Once you've finished the Facade key shard in late game, the desert will have three flying shades in it. Two are hidden in the sand - one in the west near the steps down to the pier, one in the east closer to the tunnel leading to Facade, they will appear when you get close - and a third is in the northern sandstorm already up on your minimap. Their rare yellow drops are Metal Piercing or Subdued Bracelet, both of which are colossally rare. Fortunately you only need 2-3 of each.

-Tall, skinny shades that use magic can drop Broken Earrings and Forlorn Necklaces. In the northern plains when it's cloudy there are 5-6 scattered around the map; there are 6-7 inside the Lost Shrine; there are 3 armoured versions on the lost shrine roof. They are so scattered there isn't really a great farming place for these.

All the drop totals are assuming you're going for the achievement to upgrade 33 weapons total; note that if you are doing that make sure you get the Nier Automata DLC because it will hand you four weapons and they'll count towards that upgrade achievement, giving you the leeway to skip some weapons if you absolutely, positively, cannot get the shade materials to drop (I skipped nearly every weapon that required forlorn necklaces this way).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I’m only two pink moonflower seeds away from 100% quest completion. Even with time zone manipulation this poo poo takes forever lol