Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Play it. It owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfRu7z_MDOM

Also, everyone must one day face THE FLOWER.

This Silence is Mine is, for me, the crowning achievement of Okabe's music and basically redeemed any ill will I had towards the game's poor performance. It just hits so god drat hard and the performance is so good. In a game with so much loving, This Silence is Mine is the thing that fucks the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

I’ve had Drakengard 3 on my shelf for years should I finally bother playing it Y/N?

It's actually pretty good in my opinion. I had a pretty emotional reaction to a lot of parts of it and Mikael is the best dragon. Plus you'll get to know the joys of what happens when Swery65 and Yoko Taro are on the same project.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

I know that I am a complete nutcase cause I've never played Drakengard 3 but have consumed all of its cutscenes thru youtube and all I really want to do is play its final, final ending verse (yes, THAT one) for myself because I found that whole sequence to be breathtakingly beautiful. Idk what it is but that whole final sequence, bullshit and all, is a complete unironic work of art to me :shobon:

The final part is one of the craziest things I've ever experienced in a game. Spoilers for Drakengard 3 Getting to the ending of a nearly 7 minute long rhythm game just to gently caress up a button press that occurs during the loving black screen with no prompt is something that I had occur several times. Nothing ever made me work harder in a game before that and it made the fallout hurt that much more being so filled with adreneline as it all falls apart. It's a lot more effective to me because unlike the original game it just, has a human element and some tragedy I can care about whereas D1 is just kind of a slap in the face and pointless nihilism it seemed.

Oh yeah Drakengard 3 also produced two of my favourite songs ever. The final sequence and This Silence is Mine are amazing compositions. I cannot ever get the vocals out of my head whenever I hear the game mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SAC4KWQg2s

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Hmm some gamplay things I noticed since this is technically the second time through NieR since the PS3 version but I didn't do it on hard last time.

Paralyze on magic blast will probably just, make any medium sized enemies or smaller enemies pointless. Even things like boars just don't handle it. Oh also using the boost words to make it level 9 helps. Weaken on magic blast is neccesary to eliminate the potential for one hit kills for a lot of bigger enemies on hard mode I found. Keep the big ones weak, maybe throw a defense drop off and you're gold if a bit slow. Paralyze magic blast, two handed weapon, hold light attack and most medium enemies will be knocked over and the finisher will kill many of them. It's nice and quick and efficiant. Dark gluttony is really helpful to manage bosses that spam magic but you still need to attack through the orbs they can't pull in.

Like hoenstly on normal 10 years ago originally I just, remember having no strategy for the game. Just loving using nothing but attack and magic blast with more magic damage. The statuses can really help in the right places in hard. It's been nice to never switch to normal and only really have died because I'm doing something I shouldn't too early (dlc at a terribly low level, the big shade in the southern field in part 1).

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

For Ending E Replicant I don't think I'd have liked it as much if I didn't have 10 years of sitting with the game's Ending D. I just want them to be happy, they deserve it. It's important that Kaine, Emil, Weiss and Protag fought their asses off to save each other. Playing route A again and hearing him say "You don't get to decide who lives or dies. Every life has meaning." was just, so weirdly hollow coming from a gestalt mass murderer and civilization ending Protag, but also so very very meaningful to the cast and I get why that was one of the moments they wanted you to see before starting the new content. The final thoughts from Kaine being, "This is the world I want because it has the people I want in it." also kind of finally got some of the themes of the game through in a way I don't think other endings had done before.

It's been stated that Yoko Taro thought up NieR after 9/11 and about two civilizations trying to destroy each other. I've thought that it's more about the failure of both sides to come to the table. But Gestalts could have left it alone if they just didn't fight Replicants, and vice versa. Some Gestalts are rogue and some Replicants are also rogue so some amount of conflict will happen. But ultimately Replicants have no need for the status quo to change so long as their towns are safe while the Gestalts desire to end it by taking over their shells. But, they were capable of rational thought so they could have just lived as they were for the most part. It's just, frustrating thinking about how the status quo would have just been best for everyone if not for Gestalts having a pressing desire to end the status quo.

It's just that the status quo has Yonah Replicant eternally get black scrawl and die and Yonah Gestalt stay in stasis. Which because our protagonist and antagonist are anime brothers just will not stand. To save either Yonah basically requires the other to die. Just, the far reaching consequences of anime brothers/fathers damning the world.

I wish Yonah had more involvement in Ending E, her status as a living plot doll (...I guess literally that's true?) always felt kind of lame so at least some closure there might've been nice. Ultimately the game's closure is less about Protag's feelings and more about Kaine and Emil. Oh and the parting words part is very very cute.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm watching an LP of Drakengard 3 now that i've finished watching the first game, and maybe it's just because anything looks good next to drakengard 1, but this game actually looks kind of good and fun? I also love the musou games so my taste is questionable but it looks like my jam and I wish I could play it myself honestly

I like the game a lot but it can have some frame rate issues at times depending on the PS3 you're using (I had a pro and it was mostly fine). gently caress I need to replay it, getting that final ending was one of my favourite moments in all games.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah ultimately I think what I can agree with is Gestalts had the monopoly of force in that situation until Protag struck down the Shadowlord. Gestalts' progenitors manipulated everything behind the scenes originally, Devola and Popola model androids manipulated the Replicants for the Gestalts as well, and then the Shadowlord manipulated other shades to guard the keys to his castle to isolate himself and force the Yonahs together. As tragic as the individual deaths of the shades we see are we also have Grandma shade and other examples of killers and relapsed shades. Or the wolves whose desire to save face lead them to more direct conflict and extinction.

The only both sides is that technically if the Gestalts had just chilled it could have been avoided, possibly. The Shadowlord is the wrinkle in that though as he had only one hope and was tired of waiting so he took Yonah Replicant with him to push his plan forward, and at that time Weiss and Noir were supposed to merge for Devola and Popola's goal to work. Because that failed they needed a backup plan and the Shadowlord kept isolating himself. Just, if Popola and Devola and the Shadowlord could just leave things alone and let go of Yonah and the project to return humans they could have kept this relative peace of part one of the game going for longer (until the aliens come I guess). As it stands it just leads to androids some time after this.

I would also note that I don't think that too many people were focused on saving the relapsed shades, was it ever stated that they could be saved by the completion of the project? I know that the 'children' of goose would have been given more of a life by it for example but I'm not sure about relapsed shades. I suppose there had to have been other Yonah's that had the black scrawl pre Gestalting?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Decided to boot up Drakengard 3. I love my big dumb baby boy Mikhail.

God it runs so bad though hahaha.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

I don't think it makes it better than Automata as I think the sidequests overall in Replicant are a bit miserable at times but in Replicant don't a lot of the sidequests involving killing shades have dialogue in ending B at that point? If I'm remembering right (hard to say because I got 97% quest completion before Ending A and this is 10 year old memory) that was the little bit of extra touch that the second half has with sidequests. I think that was the only neat thing about the sidequests that I remember at all. It doesn't really add much to the world or characters but misery.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Well, good to know what I'm in for for the rest of the way I guess

I'll say that I do appreciate that it does the bayonetta thing of shooting the horny moon, where it is so overflowing with sexuality that it just kind of becomes background noise and normal again

Honestly the most egregious horny thing involves Accord groping Zero and that lost verse scene goes on way too long as well it sucks so much. Otherwise it’s just kind of background noise that Intoners gently caress and disciples are horny. Also the fact that all the disciples are 22 that is still really weird.

I’m playing my old file and I’m about to do route D for the first time since release. Wish me luck.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

I got to the final stage in Drakengard 3 finally. That sure wasn’t what I was expecting. Also a single mistake takes you aaalllll the way back. gently caress.

Nice we're 2021 Final Song buddies. I literally got through it last night for the first time since release. Took about 3 days of making attempts with some memory of how nonsense it is. It's horseshit by the end of it and it throws the conventions of the rhythm game out the window just for the final three notes with no clear reason you would know to press the button twice when the singer hits the last note and once when Mihkail says his SECOND line. Such utter bullshit but it's so fun to learn to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Yep! Absolute horseshit. I was doing really good on runs getting to near that point and when I finally got there I was like, "Oh gently caress this is nonsense isn't it." and looked it up.