Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Anatharon posted:

All three drakengard games are legitimately terrible and there's somehow three of them. Nier's okay so it getting a sequel at least makes SOME kind of sense.

Terrible to PLAY, sure, but they are a wonder to experience.

(well, maybe not 2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Anatharon posted:

They're kind of funny but in a South Park way that doesn't really hold up. Speaking just about the actual Dakengard-named-Drakengards it's not like they're that well written or anything.

I mean Drakengard was one of the first games I ever played so I have a nostalgia for it, but it's really not that great.

Even Drakengard 1 does interesting things that aren't really found anywhere else. It's the most vicious pisstake of the "Dynasty Warriors" genre i've ever seen. It goes beyond even making you play the bad guy, you're playing more of a kind of violent force of nature. When that NPC begs you to save the village from attackers, the chapter load text makes it very clear that Caim's motivation to follow the request is not to save people, but to kill people.
Even the music is very interesting and completely unlike any other video game music: It's a mess of droning, repeating hacked up pieces of classical music that can make you physically uncomfortable listening to it. It's exremely effective at getting across its themes and purpose, even at the expense of, well, you know, being "awful" in the sense that you probably don't want to listen to it.

I despise South Park so i'm not sure where exatly your parallel would be here, but i'm guessing it's the way it goes full grindark by loading up your party with pedopiles, cannibals, racist genociders and other such lovely people. Blunt doesn't mean "bad writing" though. It's just to make you hate all of them, basically.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nina posted:

"ENGELS" either "angels" in german but very likely to refer to Friedrich Engels considering the name of the saw arm boss.

Probably the philosopher, yea, because Engels isn't actually a word (the plural of Engel (-> angel) is still Engel).

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Are there any well made and complete Nier LPs? I don't own a console but I'd like to get a full experience out of Automata.

Yeah, you can't really go wrong with The Dark Id's LPs for anything YT related. He's even gotten some stuff from the man himself for his Nier LP.

The Dark Id posted:

I got shitfaced and did some digging to contact Cavia before it was dissolved and specifically Sith Lord Taro Yoko during the NIER LP and linked to all the sales I had gotten the game... granted mostly used but whatever. I did more advertising than Square-Enix at that point. I got a response back from Taro Yoko a few months later thanking me for being an "ambassador to the West" and was asked for an address. Which was a PO BOX so whatever. If he was sending a letter bomb some poor mail lady would blow up. Drakengard! But in fact I got a signed poster from a bunch of members from the team and a voucher for the NieR piano soundtrack. Which required I make a fake Japanese iTunes account listing me in 25000 Fake Street, Osaka Japan.

But hey. That was nifty. :unsmith:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Monomythian posted:

Automata apparently has hidden items you can find through hearing high frequency sounds when you are near them, you know the kind only kids and dogs can hear.

The absolute madman.
I loving love it.

I haven't played Nier or any other Taro Yoko game, but i might actually pre-order this (which would make it the second pre-order of my life) for PC if i ever get the chance. Even if i don't really have the time to actually play it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I hope not.

18+ kHz supremacy :smuggo:

(i can't actually hear 18+ anymore)

edit: if you wanna try yourself: http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can-you-hear-this-hearing-test/

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Jesus, I can't even hear fifteen, much less eighteen. Too much loud music, the kids these days, my lawn...

Well, CD quality music has a sample rate chosen (by a digital standard from 1980) to allow a reasonable resolution up to 22 kHz, so

sorry, you lost 35% of your hearing ability already, you're getting old as gently caress

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Square-Enix have removed the trailer with the PC date from the press site.

So, basically, back to square zero I guess.

You mean, back to square Enix, right?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Lol if you didn't reload until you No Damage'd every fight in MGR

(on an unrelated note gently caress Monsoon's red mist)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That valve pre-order bonus looks like it would have been a much better fit for a Drakengard 3 port.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My download finally finished, and i'm not going back through the thread due to fear of spoilers. When i set to 1080p fullscreen, the display is squashed horizontally and i got black bars to the left and right. If i play windowed, it displays correctly though.

Any way to fix that yet?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

Be sure to read the death messages.

Oh hey i just found this guy in the streets, too.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Music owns. I never played Nier, but i listened to the soundtrack, and i quickly recognized the music when you flee out of the desert at the start as a musical throwback. Boss music also owned. This cannot continue.

So i got a mail a while back to go back to the Tutorial area and fetch my stuff there, but how/when can i actually do that? I don't see a way back there.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh, is there any way to get lock-on to, well... stay locked on? It's immensely distracting to have to re-press the lock-on button every time my current target dies instead of lock-on just jumping to the nearest enemy instead.
I already put the lock-on on a face button, cause it was too clunky on a trigger to have to push it repeatedly.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just beat the lv40 Father Servo, at like Lv18 myself. That.... took a while, but wasn't really difficult. I'm trying to initiate the next stage of the quest (the hueg bot), but i can't talk to him. Do i need a minimum level or something?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Man, i should really not have dicked around for like 10 minutes in the system settings at the start

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
After getting through route B:

Yes, i'm back to 2-

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

edit: wait what happened to the ginormous hole in front of the resistance camp

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 25, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that one. I was just stupid and missed it.... somehow

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Fuuuuuuuck i misclicked when the game asked me which support pod i wanted and i chose 142 153 by accident, nooooooo

edit: conflated the two, on top of it all

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 26, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Someone please tell me i can switch soon.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I thought it was bullshit until i noticed that the infection% is a) insanely forgivingly slow and more important b) scripted to jump up once you hit specific triggers. That's kind of when i knew poo poo was gonna go bad. What i actually expected was that youd also lose all chips on her corpse or something because yoko taro.

I legit ran out the timer on the first try. I went into the wrong direction first, over the sunken buildings, and then had to make my way back with constant limping interruptions at 15% infection over the jump-and-dash segments between skyscapers in the water. I left the coast at 30%+ infection. I then got punched into the ravine, and waited another like 10% or so for the limping to go away so i could finally start climbing the ladder back up. Then had to take the veeery long way around, past the Near Factory save point and the desert entrance. Didn't know there were these jump triggers until the second time i attempted that sequence. The whole thing took like 10 minutes.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It took until route c to come out in full effect, but it's good to see the legacy of Drakengard's hate for all children is still not dead yet.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sure is a cutie.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Eve didn't make a whole lot of sense the first time around.

In hindsight, i guess he was right. It was all meaningless.

also why are the credits scrolling backwards

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Some early quest gave me a +6 Defense diamond chip. I added in a low auto-heal, a little +Max HP, a Deadly Heal for 30% heal per kill, and an Auto-Item of any rank (just in case) and i could just slam the palm of my hand on the face buttons for almost all fights in the game and win.
The one notable exception was the one with the, uh, long-necked enemies. You know the one. Suddenly, game was hard again.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Diamond means it has the lowest (= best) possible slot usage for its rank. Like, 4 slots at +0, 5 slots at +1, 6 slots at +2 etc.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is there anything i can spend money on in this game? I bought all the weapons and pod programs i could find, and upgraded all weapons to min. lv3, and i still have like 1.5 mil sitting around at the third ending.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

King of Solomon posted:

Pretty much everything the wandering shop sells at the Resistance Camp route is extremely useful.

Did you buy (Route C lategame spoilers) Pascal's weapons?

No, i walked out on him. Didn't know there was anything to buy.

What's that wandering shop exactly? I only remember 4 shops at the resistance camp, and none of them are "wandering" or sell anything really useful.

Wish one of them would sell booze.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah that one. It's more City Ruins than Resistance Camp so i was a little confused.

Once i got the email notification to hit up said shop, i went there and bought all weapons. On any subsequent visits, there were only some lame chips or heal items on sale though.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
While i'm here, can i just express my satisfaction over the fact that there's a chip whose only purpose is to add death screams to enemies you kill. Best use of 6 memory slots i can think of.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's called "Death Rattle".

Also i thought when the game tells me i get access to the (past 3rd ending)debug menu, it would provide me with a fun little cheat mode, but no, it's literally just a developer debug mode, complete with console font overlay on the current screen render.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm guessing the same thing I did - equip a Taunt chip on 2B or 9S.
I got the taunt tutorial early on in route A when i equipped a Taunt chip.

I'm also still at 98% tutorial.

Nina posted:

The best part is when they re-enact how they show up for their boss fight in the first game only to immediately subvert it. A Nier player is immediately gonna go "Oh no they're evil!" and then feel kinda bad
Oh, so that's what it was. I was wondering why he flinched and guarded when they showed up after the bot said "allies detected". Like, what did you expect to happen? Not having played the previous game, that cutscene really made no sense.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Game Mechanics wise, the game never really traps you or goes "gotcha!". It always makes things exceedingly clear, though i guess it's your choice whether you listen to it / think it's important ("THIS GAME DOESN'T AUTO-SAVE").
The few things that it doesn't really spell out for you is what the diamond chips mean and when you're about to get a joke ending. The latter one can be remedied by remembering NO AUTO-SAVES.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I remember listening to an NPC telling me about getting, using and fusing chips. Not mentioned: what diamonds stand for and which specific enemy drops which specific chip, which is hardly telling you jack-poo poo and more giving you only the basics instead of doing your work for you.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hammer the slightly faster attack if he's close, when you hit him and he's recovering and a little farther away, hammer the slightly slower overhead swing and he'll walk right into it. Repeat until beat.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is there some special use or property to the third character's weird extend-o-dash? Does the red flash do anything? I experimented a bit with it, but i haven't found anything.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I've gotten into a pattern lately where I just fire up the game and play until something crushingly depressing happens. Today it was Route C and [spoilers]

There's always the worst option 3, which i took the first time.

Just walk away.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What, a Lunar Tear or an Emil?

The answer is yes to both

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
By now, the thread title should really be changed to NieR: Automata - Don't play the tutorial on hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised i haven't come across anything that's locked behind a playing-on-Very-Hard barrier, because it would be just about the most Yoko Taro thing to commend you in-game for switching to Very Hard to initiate the battle/quest and going back down in difficulty immediately afterwards to fulfill the task.

But maybe that's still coming, i still haven't gone through the entire game yet.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 1, 2017