Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
From the trailer in 2016, the most notable thing that I noticed, besides Devola and Popola, was that Eve seems to be showing signs of Watcher possession (glowing red eyes, poo poo eating grin).

Edit:

Yep, he's got the three eye symbol from the Cult of the Watchers.

Abhorrence fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Boar drifting is back, baby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzEraGFZWoM&t=1241s

Edit: With bonus moose drifting!

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Are pod upgrade items really rare or am I just missing obvious locations? After about 40 hours I've found enough to upgrade one to level 2.

I beat the game without ever upgrading them, so yeah, they do seem pretty rare.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

May want to spoiler that, chief.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

a kitten posted:

What.
The.
gently caress.

Sorry skipping hundreds of posts just to pop in and say i just started route C and i'm not sure i was ready for Yoko Taro's Wild Ride.

Is anyone truly ready for a Yoko Taro experience?

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Kind of sad to think there won't be any more NieR games, but maybe that's for the best. I don't see where they could go from here.

I was about to agree with you, but then I realized something: Taro managed to parley Drakengard 3, a commercial failure, into Nier: Automata. But now he has a critical and commercial success under his belt.

He's probably going to keep making games.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

You aren't even close to the end of the game.

Yeah, when this game says "ending" it doesn't mean that it's ending the story, just ending a chapter. You haven't even finished the pre-title sequence.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Go do endings D and E right now. They are important, and you can chapter select right to the end of the game.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Professor of Cats posted:

To me, in some english VAs, it's over acting, bad acting, or just tones that don't match.

Not to be harsh on you, but it seems like part of the reason you listen to it in Japanese is you can't tell when the acting is bad.

That being said, " I listen to stuff in a language I can't understand so I don't know when the acting is bad," is a logically sound, if somewhat odd position to have.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

warhammer651 posted:

The backdoor was part of the point. Yorha was made as a way of saying HEY GUYS HUMANS ARE TOTALLY STILL AROUND THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT, then they were going to be killed off to prevent anyone from cottoning on to the fact that humanity's supposed right-hand never actually met humans

And the Resistance has enough resources to build and operate supercarriers. and maintain nuclear weapons. Space Stations ain't poo poo when you don't need to breathe

See, the implication I always got here is that if the machines ever decided to try to wipe the androids out, "android high command" or whatever would just execute Project YoRHa, sans backdoor in order to push the machines back. The reason we're in a stalemate is that both victory and defeat are unacceptable results for both sides. Neither side wants to be wiped out, the machines don't want to defeat thier enemies because, paradoxically that would leave them without an enemy to defeat, and the androids don't want to win because that would result in, "OK, we won, send the humans down," and then you'd have to admit that humans are dead, and that would lead to a loss of purpose on the android side. As a result you have a situation where if the stalemate gets broken, the stronger party starts pulling their punches while the weaker party takes off the gloves.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Organza Quiz posted:

Honestly I think it weakens the concept that they do the whole "x's data was destroyed" thing. I know it makes sense in terms of what you're seeing, that's the person helping you and then they're destroyed and another person comes in to help in their stead, but we all know that in reality that person's name is being used multiple times even if their data is "destroyed" like that, which makes the whole thing lose power. It would be powerful enough just to have the people come in to help and to know that when you sacrifice your save game you're adding yourself to the pool of people who can help, without the game pretending that that help is finite. Or maybe if it was like "some of x's data was destroyed"? Or some of their "memories", basically anything which isn't pretending that one person can only help until they get hit once.

To be fair, their data was destroyed, but that doesn't mean that has anything to do with what's happening on screen.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

central dogma posted:

How does 2B know the point at which 9S knows too much? Does 2B actually know the truth? Or does command just say "Kill 9S" and 2B beep boops and kills him without knowing why?

In the supplemental materials, it is revealed that Pod 153 rats out 9S to 2B.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I wonder if a consistent framerate would make the end boss easier

End boss actually has a rock solid frame rate, at the very least. I've done it, uh, A BUNCH of times and I can't recall it dropping frames, ever.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've been watching a drakengard 3 LP because I never played it, and I was hoping that the cringy horniness would subside after parting ways with Five, but I've just met Decadus and it seems that I am not to be so lucky

I guess it's a good thing that this game didn't get too popular, because the fanart of him and the tall lady from Resident Evil would have gone to dark places fast

Drakengard 3 is a very horney game.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

The idea was to create the "myth" for lack of a better word, of humans on the moon, who were in contact with YoRHa on the bunker, then deliberately let the machines destroy the bunker. Now the regular Android forces have "something to fight for" without ever having to worry about dealing with contacting or seeing the humans that don't actually exist.

it's not explicitly stated, but I got the sense that neither side really wants to win the war. Machines need an enemy to give them purpose, as their entire reason for being is to "destroy the enemy," while Android high command, or whoever masterminded YoRHa, can't win because then the humans would logocally come back... which can't actually happen, and then the whole house of cards collapses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Larryb posted:

Unless you want to count the mobile game (which you probably shouldn’t). But yeah, it is odd they haven’t announced a Nier 3 or even a Drakengard 4 by now despite Automata doing fairly well as I recall.

Has Yoko Taro even done anything notable since then for that matter (assuming he stlll works for Square)?

There was the NieR remake.