Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Glad I looked at this thread before wasting another 2 hours running around the city doing side quests. The lack of fast travel was starting to annoying me too.

I will say that this game starts off REALLY dull for all the praise it gets. The entirety of my experience so far has been fighting the games lack of auto save (lost 45 minutes thanks to a hard crash!) and rolling my eyes at the plot. The game is EXTREMELY heavy handed with what it's going for early on (I'm sure there will be more twists and turns, though.

Still, I dont know how many of the following exchange I can sit through without groaning.

2B: "Robots are not people!!!!"

*robot does an incredibly human-like thing, game winks at you*

One thing that has lived up to the hype is the music; some of the music is incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I got to the end of Route A and feel like I didn't learn anything?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Playing as 9s kind of really sucks

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Boss fights being just 8ish hacking mini games without doing literally anything else is terrible.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Am I locked out of any sidequests by going for any endings other than the final one?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

loving lol at this late rear end title card

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Maybe Yoko Taro is just a pervert.

When you meet 2B for the first time it is literally an upskirt shot.

He's a pervert and deserves his entire fanbase.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I literally just said this, but when you first meet 2B, the main character of the game, you are presented to her with an upskirt shot.

This is not camera fuckery or whatever, this is a cutscene introducing you to the main character of the game. A conscious decision made by multiple people.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dias posted:

Really? That shot makes an effort to NOT give you a panty shot despite being a tilt. I guess you get a bit of 2Butt for a couple of frames, but it definitely doesn't leer.

Lol are you seriously defending this by saying "WELL YOU CANT ACTUALLY SEE HER PANTIES SO"

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

I mean yes that by definition would mean that it is not a panty shot

I don't know what your point is, I never said "panty", you're being pedantic about a thing i didn't even say.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

half the game's appeal is def because of the gothic lolita main character, people love the design and are attached to it. even though she's dull as dishwater she brings some kind of stylish spark into what amounts to Isaac Asimov For Dummies. Further into the game you get an even more scantily clad characters so it's just all asses all the time.

Finally, someone speaking my language

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Just got ending C, and while the story has really picked up and is really cool, I'm super done with playing this game as the combat is just so bleh.

Someone please tell me I dont have much more actual gameplay left.

e: Also from my previous comments about the game being disappointing. The game thematically and it's story beats have become super interesting and cool, I really do think the game desperately needed an editor. They could have told this story in half the time and been just as successful.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

vkeios posted:

You can literally get the two last endings right now. Just use the chapter select to go to the end and pick the stuff you didn’t pick last time.

Hunt11 posted:

You use the new option that just popped up and use it to make a different choice at the final fight.

Thank god

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

So yeah I beat the game last night, Ive been pretty candid about the game not resonating with me as much as other people, and that still rings true to some standard but...

Ending E was really, really effective, even though it had been spoiled for me by one Peter Brown of Gamespot dot com (grumble). 9s/2bs relationship and the reveal of what exactly Yorha is/was also helped contextualize a lot of the stuff that happened in route A/B in a way that made it more enjoyable after the fact.

I have mixed feelings of there not being some kind of big bad/final antagonist to deal with but it really does hammer home the fact that this eternal conflict is completely meaningless, so it works thematically. The "pick a side" final boss thing fell a bit flat though.

I just think the game was way, way way too long, and could have been cut down a pretty sizable chunk. There were way too many "hey go get this thing from pascal or Anemone or whatever" quests and a lot of the sidequests were just trite garbage with decent story bits tied into them. Also, I know why they had to do Route A/B the way they did for the story to work but there has to be a better way to have done that, but then again I'm not a writer or story designer.

TL;DR: The story is really good, the atmosphere is really good but the story desperately needed editing and the game was not really that fun to actually play. Some of the best music in a video game I've ever heard as well.

I'd probably give it 4/5, I dont think it is "perfect" or a masterpiece like some people throw around but it was really effective for what it is. I wish it had a bigger budget, if only to make it look less like poo poo.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

So one thing I'm confused about post game is how did 9s retain his memories after 'dying' and then uploading himself into the machine after ending a/b? He purposefully never uploaded himself to the bunker, which is the entire reason they dont get hosed by the logic virus. His body was obviously hosed after the fight so how the hell did he go from 9S->Machine->Bunker both retaining his memories and not being hosed like all the other Yorha?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

Got endings D and E.

So it YoRHa's existence tied into some kind of metaplot where they were designed by Yoko Taro and Square-Enix for the strict purpose of dying and creating emotional gravitas? Was that the point of the credits being the defense system? Because otherwise YoRHa is underpants gnomes with no profit.

Also,

I gave up my save data without a second thought. I was in it for the roller coaster not the gameplay. Once that was done so was I.

YoRHa had served it's purpose and was purposefully destroyed through the backdoor, ostensibly to be replaced by a new "YoRHa" or something similar, thus repeating the process over again. The point of YoRHa is to perpetuate a lie to the actual androids on earth that there is still something to fight for, otherwise they would realize the whole thing would be for moot and... stop fighting? Theoretically, this cycle could have happened a ton of times before the start of the game, but we don't really know.

The whole point is that Androids, YoRHa, and machines entire existence is centered around a perpetual cycle of death and violence, which make them all far more human than they realize. It isn't until ending E, where the pods gain their own will, that they break this cycle and keep the memories of 9s, 2b and A2 alive and the truth of what happened to the humans gets out to the androids.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Honestly the most memorable parts of this game a month removed are Father Servo and how big of a shithead Jean Paul is.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Holy godamn gently caress the barren temple is attrocious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Someone please tell me Route B is not entirely text on a black screen