Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/RyougaSaotome/status/776981347038597120

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Choice quotes from the TGS presentation (translations by @RyougaSaotome):

"He screams a lot but it's a happy ending. Happy screaming."
--
"I heard hotties with shirts and glasses are popular with women, so I made Adam."
"I was thinking of Yakuza with the tattoos on Eve. Again, thinking about him being popular with women."
"Commander looks sexy, but don't expect her to be sexy. Her sexiness is zero."
[lmao yoko just blazing through these slides.]
"This character is a spoiler so I couldn't reveal the illustration. I can't say anything about them."
"Ignore the weird purple character in the corner."
--
"Deadlines are closing in on me and Platinum keeps telling me to turn in the script, but instead I slept all day."
"I'll give my 100% eventually."
--
"I thought it'd be very Nier-like to include an auto mode for people who don't want action in their action game."
--
"Leave me on the floor. Leave me here." - Yoko

"Yoko died."

"I'll never make another appearance again."
--
"Yoko's kind of leaning at a weird angle."

"This is too much. I'm dying. I give up. Just hold my head. Oh, it's cracked." - Yoko
--
"IT'S EXPENSIVE!" - Yoko

"No, no! It's cheap!"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

"I know there are folks who haven't played the first game and are concerned about Emil etc popping up, but don't worry. Lots of creators say you don't have to play previous games, but you actually do, and that annoys me. So don't worry. Also if you really want to experience the first game, go watch it on Nico or Youtube or something. I don't care. They're barely connected. Hope you enjoy the terrible story and Platinum's excellent gameplay."

e: Demo planned, hope to release by the end of the year.

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 17, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, they're on.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dengeki stream
Features an early bossfight and playing around with weapons in the open world, including the RNG gauntlet+longsword attack.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

:yeah:

That ending, though. Wonder if it's an early "ending" or if they survive somehow. Or the double fakeout where it's a demo-only scenario that's never mentioned in the full game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Hard and up also disable lockon. :shepface:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nina posted:

I can just handwave it with "moon-humans are weirdos about designing their combat androids" and be cool enough with it.

I think it's neat. Rather than doing the "machines learn to emotion" bit, they're "human" from the get-go and commanded to suppress that in the face of likely death or abandonment on one mission or another.

Motto fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Dec 25, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

nier: automata, the sequel to the novel-only, unofficially translated ending to the sequel to the most batshit ending of a batshit ps2 musou clone

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's literally because he has buds in high places, including the former CEO.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

From an EDGE article on the game:

e: re: platinum

Motto fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 28, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Both RE7 and Berseria used it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

quote:

And such advanced years present the opportunity to include technology that would have been incredibly out of place in the first Nier—technology like enormous, transforming mechs.

"The dude that designed those wasn't even a mecha designer," says Yoko. He continues, jovially: "He's actually a UI designer. But he just loves mechs, so we let him sit down and do it. He worked so hard he made himself ill—but he had the biggest grin on his face the entire time." He playfully adds that the designer "begged" to work on the model, clearly eager to make the sleek, transforming robot we were introduced to in the late-2016 demo.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/hardcore-girls-and-bullet-hell-a-conversation-with-the-makers-of-nier-automata

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That's how the demo worked, yeah.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

goblin week posted:

Is it different from the novel ending E, which is already the canon one?

I haven't seen footage yet, but walkthrough descriptions make me think that it is or based on that "Ending E".

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Hikaki posted:

Being a westerner, I wonder why Bro Nier is considered more relatable in Japan than Dad Nier. Are there just way more deadbeat dads in Japan or what?

Bro nier's just what the story was originally envisioned with, Dad was the one made with regional appeal in mind. The one anecdote we know of is people from the california office thinking "a young man wielding a giant sword is too silly", which is pretty funny coming from a SE employee, but it was the 2000s I guess.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I thought the different versions of Nier were for the PS3 and Xbox versions, and they just scrapped the one version for the Western release?

I think it's very funny though that in 2009 they thought that a brother/sister would be the overplayed version of the game, but accidentally spawned a whole genre of "Grizzled dads protecting their kids" video games in the West and then decided to go with the opposite version for the remake because those are too overplayed now

It ended up that way, but the reason they made two versions the way they did is because of those consultations. If anything, the fact that Gestalt was only on xbox and only had an English dub makes it more clear what it was for.

And as far as I can tell, the decisionmaking never factored his relationship with Yonah, it was just "realistic protagonist" vs "skinny boy". Honestly the swap colors Nier's interactions with Emil and Kaine a lot more than with Yonah, though part of that is the original localization outright papering over things like Emil's sexuality.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

My memory of the original release is pretty vague, but either they added a few spots in the remake that suggest this or they were always there and make sense in that context

They were always there but downplayed in the original localization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

Drakengard 3 is the only PS3 game I have where they decided to use the PS4 blue color scheme on the boxart. Is that just Yoko Taro being a master troll?

That was the standard packaging for late ps3 games for a bit, though looking up P5 PS3 it looks like it reverted even later so it's a bit of Sony America weirdness there.