Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I visited Palo Alto for the first time a few weeks ago - the show needs more Asian girls if it wants to be realistic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

gret posted:

I'm going to pretend Bighead is based on Marissa Mayer.

I didn't know who she was and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marissa_Mayer

quote:

Since 2008, Mayer has lived in the 38th-floor penthouse suite at the Four Seasons Hotel in San Francisco

I can't even imagine how much that costs - jesus, buy a house

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Also remember that Hooli just laid off the entire Nucleus staff *without* no-competes - they're either going to end up with Pied Piper, or Bighead feels bad for them all and starts his own company full of Nucleus rejects

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Avasculous posted:

I'm exploring consulting as a career option now, and the 'conjoined triangles of success' is exactly my problem with so much of business education: take 5-6 painfully general buzzwords, put them on an arbitrary graphical design, give them an air of reverence and some credentials behind the author, and you can sell it in a $40 paperback book to aspiring tycoons everywhere.

I have good news!

http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0671027034

All business literature is "making yourself feel good about separating people from their money". It involves lying to yourself. A lot.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

El Pato posted:

he fires jared

Jared ending up back at Hooli but still having a seat on Pied Piper's board would be something

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

He doesn't have a seat on the board though?

Richard gave him Erlich's seat. He cried tears of joy

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm guessing Richard gets the money from Russ for Internet II and then holds it above PiperChat's heads to get the guys to rejoin him

If Richard's Internet II model works, he can just launch it through PiperChat updates to people's phones since the app is so popular

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/nottjmiller/status/869388567654432768

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Why Haley Joel Osment Could Be Silicon Valley’s New Superstar

Ughhhhhhhhhhh

Anyone else think Osment could be the "familiar face" to replace TJ Miller like Ashton Kutcher replacing Charlie Sheen?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

i am the bird posted:

comedy bing bong

Whenever I see that I think Peppercorn Bing Bong and I just realized Eric Andre replacing TJ Miller would be the only appropriate choice

Also through Google I just found out TJ Miller and Eric Andre did an episode of Jeselnik Offensive together in 2013 and I must find that

EDIT:

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/ioq7yv/the-jeselnik-offensive-t-j--miller-s-mask

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/u9ovhm/the-jeselnik-offensive-defending-your-tweet---eric-andre---t-j--miller

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 1, 2017

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

tarlibone posted:

Well, as long as they don't go all Judy Winslow with Erlich, I think it'll be OK.

There are no stairs in that house

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bring back old gbs posted:

lmao if entourage and silicon valley are an extended universe

it would kinda work

"Richard gets da funding!" is the new "Vinnie makes da movie!"

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shooting Blanks posted:

Characters are pretty different, but the mannerisms are similar. Haven't seen him much here yet, of course.

He had a slight southern accent and a different name in the Entourage movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stUo-9OLpnU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vintersorg posted:

His head is so gigantic - it's loving me up.

Yeah if he lost 50 lbs.I can't say if that would make him look better or worse

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Laurie finds employment for Erlich...as her live-in Nanny

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

With it ultimately resulting in her having already having been pregnant by her fiancee (which had her hormones out of whack and why she ended up loving *Richard* of all people), which becomes a problem anyway because Richard will almost certainly find a way to reveal it to him in a 'hilarious' and predictably 'wacky' way, setting them back to square one with no loving hope of funding except maybe Russ.

What if they mirror Steve Jobs' illegitimate kid and Richard denies paternity despite his mounting success and wealth

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Erlich has a friend

https://twitter.com/justinbieber/status/871874872506544128

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Colonel Whitey posted:

This season has had some decent jokes but has zero focus narratively. It's my least favorite season by far and I don't think anything will be able to change my mind in the next three episodes unless Zach Woods gets to be Ed Chambers the entire time.

Jared learning that he can imitate anyone's voice over the phone might send him out of control

Which could lead him to imitating Richard's voice which would be amazing

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was thinking they buy all the tickets themselves so the whole HooliCon is them heckling Barker from the front row

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is Chevy Chase the biggest rear end in a top hat to work with? Honestly, I haven't heard anything but bad things about him on set and I don't know of other celebs with such a bad reputation.

Chevy complained on-set that the writers were making his character too racist, and he shouted something like "do you have anything besides n*gger jokes for me?"

So Chuck Lorre, sweetheart that he is, took the opportunity to get "CHEVY CHASE GOES ON RACIST TIRADE" published everywhere he could

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm thinking the end of the show will be Richard and Bighead parallel to Gavin and Peter Gregory, with both men falling upward but Bighead doing it in an ethical manner

Richard's going to lose his goddamn mind

But yeah, the show is starting to get stale for me a bit too - Mike Judge probably is going for "if this ever gets syndicated, people watching a random episode should get resolution at the end of that same episode" which makes sense, but is lame

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PostNouveau posted:

I don't think HBO syndicates its shows.

Edit: No wait, they did syndicate Sex and the City didn't they?

Sopranos

I wonder if they'll pay TJ Miller to come in and re-dub his swears

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

Unless all of his current things fail, I think he's going to be fine. He left because he had too many other projects.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Accretionist posted:

I hope they up end the formula. They need to mix it up or end it before it goes all Dexter.

We still haven't had the inevitable "Richard and Monica start dating" subplot, but it seems that even she doesn't like him anymore

Monica and Jared should hook up - they're essentially Richard's mom and dad anyway

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Deja loving Vu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMUFHKSGG5Q

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just since TJ is throwing so much shade his way, I looked up what exactly Alec Berg has written.

He wrote 5 episodes of Silicon Valley:

quote:

- Success Failure (2017) ... (written by)
- The Uptick (2016) ... (written by)
- Two Days of the Condor (2015) ... (written by)
- Bad Money (2015) ... (written by)
- Optimal Tip-To-Tip Efficiency (2014) ... (written by)

The Condor episode and the Tip-To-Tip Efficiency episode are two of my favs, and now that I come to think of it both gags had nothing to do with Erlich, so maybe that's why TJ doesn't like him

EDIT: "Bad Money" was the episode that introduced Russ Hanneman - Alec Berg is cool as gently caress

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 27, 2017

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

i am the bird posted:

To defend TJ for no reason, his criticism seems to be about Berg's show running instincts. TJ argues that Berg is responsible for what most of this thread hates: the network sitcom cycle of hitting the reset button at the end of every episode.

Entourage was the exact same way - most of the TVIV crowd "just wanted to see the 4 guys hang out because that's funny" while the rest were like "it's stuck in a cycle of struggling to get a movie made and then always getting the movie made anyway so this sucks and nothing matters"

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Final scene of the show should be Pied Piper led by Big Head launching its IPO to a massive celebration, and then a quick cut to Richard and Erlich doing opeum hits in Tibet while watching the celebration on TV

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

get that OUT of my face posted:

The Hollywood Insider interview noted that Alec Berg was the showrunner for the first two seasons of Silicon Valley. I'm not sure who's responsible for this season's decline and diminishing returns and laughs, but it probably isn't him.

This article says he's currently "co-showrunner", so I'm trying to figure out who the second showrunner is:

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/the-wrap/article/TJ-Miller-Slams-Silicon-Valley-Showrunner-11247611.php

EDIT: here we go

https://deadline.com/2017/04/silicon-valley-clay-tarver-elevated-co-showrunner-on-hbo-comedy-series-1202062556/

quote:

As HBO’s Silicon Valley is gearing up for its Season 4 premiere on April 23, the praised comedy series also is making plans for a potential fifth season, which has not been ordered but is fully expected. If Silicon Valley is renewed for Season 5, Clay Tarver will be promoted to executive producer and co-showrunner alongside original executive producers/showrunners Mike Judge and Alec Berg.

Silicon Valley is bringing in showrunner reinforcements as both Berg and Judge are shepherding other projects in addition to Silicon Valley.

Berg co-created, executive produces and serves as co-showrunner alongside star Bill Hader on the upcoming HBO comedy series Barry. Judge co-created and is currently executive producing Mike Judge Presents: Tales from the Tour Bus for Cinemax.

Tarver, who also is a rock musician, served as a consulting producer on the first season of Silicon Valley and has been a co-executive producer since the beginning of Season 2. Tarver won an episodic comedy WGA Award for his work on the show in 2016 and directed an episode for the upcoming fourth season.

Clay Tarver wrote the first episode after Peter Gregory's death that introduced Laurie and 3 other episodes:

quote:

- Terms of Service (2017) ... (written by)
- Daily Active Users (2016) ... (written by)
- Sand Hill Shuffle (2015) ... (written by)
- Proof of Concept (2014) ... (written by)

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked how Judge handled the "but there's no female lead character!" criticism from Season 1 by introducing a female lead character in Season 2, getting a bunch of positive "Silicon Valley is no longer problematic" stories from a news cycle, and then 2 weeks later writing off the character completely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
After hearing Miller describe how he was acting before they discovered his brain tumor...I wonder if the tumor is back

• Locked thread