Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Microsoft still wants me to install the Bing! toolbar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Iridium posted:

yeah, good times.

fun fact our overall master admin password when i started there was "elite"

then a main admin left and they decided to protect it by reversing it to "etile".

lol that's nothing there's a software company out here in Idaho that sells a bunch of work order management and pos poo poo

they left the test password on it that gives someone full control of the system

and it's not a dev test password the password is literally test they haven't even changed it after half their devs left

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
It did basically nothing because HEP beam experiments like LCLS images proteins directly with high-intensity x-ray lasers instead of guessing ten bajillion times as to what they look like.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
It's a super cool experiment and they somehow got enough funding to upgrade the end of the SLAC beamline to superconductors instead of klystrons. Sucks for us though because someone has to upgrade the switchyard to reroute to ESA and gently caress if any HEP experimentalist has money for that.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Also I remember a post by someone here that said that folding@home had some garbage code that was super inefficient and was replicated by a small cluster running actual good code

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Stereotype posted:

It did basically nothing because HEP beam experiments like LCLS images proteins directly with high-intensity x-ray lasers instead of guessing ten bajillion times as to what they look like.

Stereotype posted:

It's a super cool experiment and they somehow got enough funding to upgrade the end of the SLAC beamline to superconductors instead of klystrons. Sucks for us though because someone has to upgrade the switchyard to reroute to ESA and gently caress if any HEP experimentalist has money for that.

I had to google most of these acronyms. HEP is common but who knows what ESA means other than the people who are familiar with that accelerator?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

spankmeister posted:

I had to google most of these acronyms. HEP is common but who knows what ESA means other than the people who are familiar with that accelerator?

End Station A

Yeah no one knows, I like being opaque.

Also SLAC is so horrible with acronyms. You have to learn like 40 acronyms your first day and people look at you funny if you don't know what they are.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Stereotype posted:

End Station A

Yeah no one knows, I like being opaque.

Also SLAC is so horrible with acronyms. You have to learn like 40 acronyms your first day and people look at you funny if you don't know what they are.

I'm familiar with government work so I wasn't too bothered. :v:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
If you google "ESA accelerator physics" you can find it in the second link sort of. Or you can look at the fourth link and see the best picture of our collaborator ever

He normally has a super colorful scarf on

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
oh wait I stand corrected

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I love physicists sometimes. He is my favorite.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Stereotype posted:

If you google "ESA accelerator physics" you can find it in the second link sort of. Or you can look at the fourth link and see the best picture of our collaborator ever

He normally has a super colorful scarf on

yeah i found it but at first I was like "why does the european space agency have anything to do with this?"

anyway physics are awesome

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

spankmeister posted:

yeah i found it but at first I was like "why does the european space agency have anything to do with this?"

anyway physics are awesome

Yeah I realize now that ESA has a more common usage :sweatdrop:

Thanks for liking my field!

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Stereotype posted:

Aaaaahahahahahha

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Stereotype posted:

x-ray lasers don't interfere with the folding at all? please tell me literally everything or point me to resources I'm unironically fascinated

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Moist von Lipwig posted:

x-ray lasers don't interfere with the folding at all? please tell me literally everything or point me to resources I'm unironically fascinated

It isn't as straightforward as taking as picture but it's a new field so they may get there soon.

https://www6.slac.stanford.edu/news/2015-12-08-innovation-boosts-study-fragile-biological-samples-slacs-x-ray-laser.aspx
http://www.nature.com/nmeth/journal/v13/n1/full/nmeth.3667.html

The free-electron laser is a super cool thing. Also my graduate electrodynamics class was taught by the guy who invented it.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Stereotype posted:

It isn't as straightforward as taking as picture but it's a new field so they may get there soon.

https://www6.slac.stanford.edu/news/2015-12-08-innovation-boosts-study-fragile-biological-samples-slacs-x-ray-laser.aspx
http://www.nature.com/nmeth/journal/v13/n1/full/nmeth.3667.html

The free-electron laser is a super cool thing. Also my graduate electrodynamics class was taught by the guy who invented it.

that's cool as gently caress, ty

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Stereotype posted:

Stanford Linear Accelerator Center National Accelerator Laboratory

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

jony ive aces posted:

One day, when I was sleeping (yes, I sometimes sleep in the day due to being up very late at night/early in the morning), it got very smelly. And I still didn’t have the AC unit installed in my room, and my 4 farting rigs were still farting buttcoins (I left them on 24/7), generating lots of gas. It was extremely stinky. I eventually woke up due to the smell, but it was already too late. I had a terrible suffocation, and it was quite frightening and disorienting. I not only felt physically terrible, having trouble breathing and terrible nausea, but I was also mentally and emotionally confused and saw all sorts of unpleasant hallucinations (but after doing some googling, apparently that’s normal for people who have methane poisoning).

I eventually staggered out of my room, which took quite a lot of effort, and my parents saw that I wasn’t doing too well and then realized I needed medical attention. They rushed me to the ER, and at this point I was barely conscious so I don’t remember everything, but they put an oxygen mask on me. I have no idea how long it lasted, because every second felt like an hour. It was terrible. After I was in a stable condition, they did some general check-up stuff to make sure that I didn’t have any organ damage or something, and I told them that my head felt awful, so they did either a CT scan or MRI scan (I forget which is which, but it was some scan or another of my head), and said I basically had minor brain damage (they used a fancier term for it, but I forgot exactly what it was… but it was basically just minor permanent brain damage). I don’t notice much of a difference in my ability to think… it’s not as if I’m mentally retarded or anything now, but even so, no brain damage is good.
:vince:

haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Stereotype posted:

This man is very YOSPOS.

• Locked thread