Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Android Blues

even quarg has serious demon problems, or so i hear. they're in century spanning legislations for his soul due to its mortal/immortal boundary spanning problems. sure extraterritorial soul reserves can help you dodge essence taxes, but do you really want to be in trouble with Lucifer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues

listen. this isnt going to be popular but: just be a hemilich. im sure ill be bombarded with Stone Rain and Tyrault's Wicked Jeering spells for even voicing this oh so scandalous thought but why not check your singleminded greed for arcane might for like two seconds and consider how much of a pain it will be to rock a high collared cape once youre just a floating head. its just gonna make you look like a god drat broom stand

bean mom

Android blues you should be locked up...for making too many good posts in a row!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

Zyla posted:

Android blues you should be locked up...for making too many good posts in a row!

funny how the joke whale never comes for Android Blues...almost as if they're on the same side.

hmmmm

don't take this the wrong way but liches creep me out. they don't know how to let go. I think they've clung on to being a ghost AND a skeleton for so long that they've forgotten how to really be either. it's a high price to pay for being a less-popular vampire

hi how are you ♥

MrWillsauce

liches be crazy

guns for tits

Dead ghouls can't kill steel golems.

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

funny how the joke whale never comes for Android Blues...almost as if they're on the same side.

hmmmm

don't take this the wrong way but liches creep me out. they don't know how to let go. I think they've clung on to being a ghost AND a skeleton for so long that they've forgotten how to really be either. it's a high price to pay for being a less-popular vampire

you take that back! just because we're wearing black and lurking in the dark feeding on magical essence it is completely different. for us essence is only necessary to replenish reserves, and you can avoid that with some good planning.

Android Blues posted:

listen. this isnt going to be popular but: just be a hemilich. im sure ill be bombarded with Stone Rain and Tyrault's Wicked Jeering spells for even voicing this oh so scandalous thought but why not check your singleminded greed for arcane might for like two seconds and consider how much of a pain it will be to rock a high collared cape once youre just a floating head. its just gonna make you look like a god drat broom stand

as for you, I'm not gonna cast bigby's anything in here, style is a part of magic even if it's not direct, but if liches are to move past these misconceptions like being compared to vampires we all have to think carefully and just going for the hemilich is not my style, i shall be a bloody bone tornado of magic and death, and I'll show you and eric and all his stupid popular adventurer friends

bacalou

liches aren't ghosts idk where you guys are getting that

MrWillsauce

I had to give the guy the hemilich in a restaurant once

bacalou

if you give a skeleton a robe and a raise undead magic spell that's a lich.

if you give a ghost a robe and a raise undead magic spell that's a wraith.

Quidthulhu

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

how do i be in ganged

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming
i'm just so sick of eric, i mean when i first moved in it was cool he was warlock with some ties to the netherworld but then he met this elf chick druid who was always smoking him out, and yeah she was cool with the whole "violating laws of nature" thing but then he multi classes into bard and is always just like "yeah music can inspire the world to change"

gods i can't wait to upgrade and move out into a proper crypt, it's gonna have crystals and loving skeletons in barrels and ghosts, and when Eric and his loser adventure friends get my invitation its gonna be great they will be so impressed, and even if they catch me i'll just res and get em next time it will be so good

Matoi Ryuko

bacalou posted:

The lich is the undead spirit which will not perish as long as it's phylactery remains in tact. I know this because I personally have 15 phylacteries.

Android Blues

bacalou posted:

you can't boil down lichdom in a reductive way like this. what you're describing in the first instance is a common "skeleton mage". in fact a lich, being a continuation of one entity's conscious essence into the ghastly realm of undeath, is closer to a ghost than not.

the truth is though that lichdom is ultimately a social role which questants may approach from many physical angles. a bard plucking the Black String of Eternity to transform themselves into a nightmare spectre of limitless arcane puissance is equally valid to traditional, normative, wizard-based routes of dark ascension

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

don't get me started on skeleton mages

let it go, dudes, you don't even have vocal cords anymore

bacalou

the lich isn't a spirit the lich ain't fuckin' incorporeal it has BONES and therefore is in the skeleton army.

Android Blues

i'm tired in general of people excluding bards, sorcerers and hell, even witches from the aspirational magic skeleton narrative. this isn't the sole domain of those who were rich, lucky and male enough to be given a head start on their vile initiation into the chambers of susurrant mystery any more, and it's time people stopped acting like it was

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

Android Blues posted:

i'm tired in general of people excluding bards, sorcerers and hell, even witches from the aspirational magic skeleton narrative. this isn't the sole domain of those who were rich, lucky and male enough to be given a head start on their vile initiation into the chambers of susurrant mystery any more, and it's time people stopped acting like it was

while i of all people can appreciate that the traditional skeleton career path of skeleton in barrel > skeleton warrior > skeleton archer is outdated and stultifying, there are some things skeletons simply will never be able to do just by virtue of the lack of fleshy parts. The mages might know a few cantrips but if they cast fire spells they tend to burn themselves and they can't utter the unspeakable words needed to raise the dead, let alone summon anything more fearsome than a cat. they just stand around looking ridiculous in their robes while the skeleton archers and priests soak up all the XP

hi how are you ♥

bacalou

so you think magically reanimated skeletons can't talk because they lack vocal chords

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

bacalou posted:

so you think magically reanimated skeletons can't talk because they lack vocal chords

even when they can talk they don't have anything interesting to say. the youngest skeleton who you could legitimately call a skeleton "warrior" is like 400 years old, and he won't stop chattering his teeth about the difficulty of getting his flamberge zweihander sharpened

there's a reason i type everything

hi how are you ♥

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming

while i of all people can appreciate that the traditional skeleton career path of skeleton in barrel > skeleton warrior > skeleton archer is outdated and stultifying, there are some things skeletons simply will never be able to do just by virtue of the lack of fleshy parts. The mages might know a few cantrips but if they cast fire spells they tend to burn themselves and they can't utter the unspeakable words needed to raise the dead, let alone summon anything more fearsome than a cat. they just stand around looking ridiculous in their robes while the skeleton archers and priests soak up all the XP

i'll be honest some of my favorite minions are no higher than the barrel skeletons, when Eric is partying with his adventurers there's been plenty of times I end up playing cards with some of the barrel skeletons. They always have their own table and some of their stories from mortal times are hilarious

as far as skelemages go i'm always making sure they stick to ice, does it mean they're easy to predict? yes, I can't tell you the times Eric has had to clean up after some barbarians from the north, covered in ice, destroy my corporeal form. Honestly it's becoming kind of a rite of passage as i've seen some that look just like their parents

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming

even when they can talk they don't have anything interesting to say. the youngest skeleton who you could legitimately call a skeleton "warrior" is like 400 years old, and he won't stop chattering his teeth about the difficulty of getting his flamberge zweihander sharpened

there's a reason i type everything

it always depends, and i keep a few spirit speech spells around just to be able to unwind after some adventurers come by

Android Blues

it's torrid overlords like you, who are willing to connect with their minions despite a significant gap in social background and experience value on kill, that we need more of in today's modern dungeon economy

Quidthulhu

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

i asked a dumb and insensitive question during an intense skeleton philosophy debate because i was selfish and only thought of my living flesh self and for that i am sorry, bonies

Robot Made of Meat

Quidnose posted:

how do i be in ganged

Post on Craigslist?

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
Lichaphobes itt

big black turnout

im bad at image making so pretend i posted a gif with a pacman ghost and it's flashing and then there's text that says "just ghost"

mags

Can you pretend make a lich one?

big black turnout

mister magpie posted:

Can you pretend make a lich one?

wow buddy this takes a lot of work ok I can't rush this process

ok so what im thinking is like a hella rad lich and he's got like magic lightning around him and poo poo you know and maybe he's like sitting on a pile of dead adventurers or skulls or whatever you know and the text says "im lich, bitch"

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

December Octopodes posted:

i'm just so sick of eric, i mean when i first moved in it was cool he was warlock with some ties to the netherworld but then he met this elf chick druid who was always smoking him out, and yeah she was cool with the whole "violating laws of nature" thing but then he multi classes into bard and is always just like "yeah music can inspire the world to change"

gods i can't wait to upgrade and move out into a proper crypt, it's gonna have crystals and loving skeletons in barrels and ghosts, and when Eric and his loser adventure friends get my invitation its gonna be great they will be so impressed, and even if they catch me i'll just res and get em next time it will be so good

December Octopodes posted:

i'll be honest some of my favorite minions are no higher than the barrel skeletons, when Eric is partying with his adventurers there's been plenty of times I end up playing cards with some of the barrel skeletons. They always have their own table and some of their stories from mortal times are hilarious

as far as skelemages go i'm always making sure they stick to ice, does it mean they're easy to predict? yes, I can't tell you the times Eric has had to clean up after some barbarians from the north, covered in ice, destroy my corporeal form. Honestly it's becoming kind of a rite of passage as i've seen some that look just like their parents

mags

big black turnout posted:

wow buddy this takes a lot of work ok I can't rush this process

ok so what im thinking is like a hella rad lich and he's got like magic lightning around him and poo poo you know and maybe he's like sitting on a pile of dead adventurers or skulls or whatever you know and the text says "im lich, bitch"

this sounds fabulous

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
Urodov

Matoi Ryuko posted:

The lich is the undead spirit which will not perish as long as it's phylactery remains in tact. I know this because I personally have 15 phylacteries.

a single offsite backup is difficult enough to maintain, but having too many redundant soul-drives can lead to a host of new problems. for one thing, if there are any errors in communication between them, they can rez multiple instances of you after your body is destroyed, and even in the unlikely event that you get along well with yourself, subtle differences in personality from accumulated copy errors can pose problems.

not to mention the huge arcane energy cost and the damage to the aether by such persistent identity distortion. protecting the transdimensional environment is everybody's business, even those of us who'll never see the afterlife.

Ãèáåëü â ìîðñêîé âîëíå,                                                                                                спасибо, Слагнойд-кун!
èëè ñâîáîäó

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming

Urodov posted:

a single offsite backup is difficult enough to maintain, but having too many redundant soul-drives can lead to a host of new problems. for one thing, if there are any errors in communication between them, they can rez multiple instances of you after your body is destroyed, and even in the unlikely event that you get along well with yourself, subtle differences in personality from accumulated copy errors can pose problems.

not to mention the huge arcane energy cost and the damage to the aether by such persistent identity distortion. protecting the transdimensional environment is everybody's business, even those of us who'll never see the afterlife.

that's why i've been talking to an ET (Ectoplasmic Technician) to make sure the network is stitched together properly when i ascend to demilich i'm not gonna settle for crap like torso chunks sparring with my own skull, if I have clones they will be temporarily produced and vanish with a puff of air, like it should be

MrWillsauce

is it true that most liches outsource that stuff to India?

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

big black turnout posted:

hi how are you ♥

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

I still think that a lich is just a ghost smushed into a skeleton but if that's what it takes to end the war between bone buds and ghostin' pals i'm all for it

MrWillsauce

I just realized that your skull has no back to it, saint boner. what's up with that?

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

MrWillsauce posted:

I just realized that your skull has no back to it, saint boner. what's up with that?

it's

hole-y

hi how are you ♥

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude

Android Blues posted:

*Eyes flaring red*
/cast:
Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting
Skull Trap
Finger of Death
Dolorous Decay

Just kidding
/cast Chill Touch

- - -

If anything I will stay a lich, or become a Dracolich. Demiliches are delusional.

- - -

I hate the idea of having several phylactery hidden. Once I ended up having my mortal shell smited by a priest after I raised a graveyard (Seriously, they are dead, why cannot the priest let me be alone? I wasn't gonna do anything to his church - and I dug several open graves for him, which he would need after I raided the local kindergarden for virgin soul essence anyways).

Anyways, I ended up in two bodies at the same time, I ended up as some sort of split personality/body lich - and had no control of which body I was in. One day Id be checking out hot skeleton magis (I've got a softspot for obedient, lesser ranks), next minute before things got hot, Id end up in my other body, (just a pair of bones and a skull tbh) being used as a drum by some dumb kid. I swear, if I find this kid - I will raise a bone monstrosity of him and his family.

Ever since this fuckup, and I blame Google Cloud for this sync issue (I am coming for you), I've relied on a single phylactery - I know it sounds risky, but it is well hidden in a place no man can enter and live. Warded and protected, it will last until the end of times and the inevitible heat death of the universe, at which point I don't mind it being destroyed.

Uxzuigal fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 28, 2016

<3 <3 Vanisher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urodov

in truth it is easy to hide your phylactery where it will never be found. if you like, simply seal your soul in a grain of sand, and cast it into the ocean. but such cheesy methods are neither badass nor very sporting and as such are frowned upon by the magical community.

Uxzuigal posted:

Anyways, I ended up in two bodies at the same time, I ended up as some sort of split personality/body lich - and had no control of which body I was in.

if you're encountering user session confusion between multiple simultaneous incarnations, you may have to recover from an old version. on the other hand, amnesia is kind of a trite artifice, so, your call.

Ãèáåëü â ìîðñêîé âîëíå,                                                                                                спасибо, Слагнойд-кун!
èëè ñâîáîäó

• Locked thread