Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
December Octopodes

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!

bacalou posted:

no, but you can be a skeleton ghost

this normally happens after some huseocabras attack a dungeon or cemetery, occasionally an rear end in a top hat necromancer shakes the whole thing up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming
my roommate keeps moving my phylactery! I mean sure when they invite adventurers over they can never find, but neither can I. I know I talk a lot, but I am going to become a demi lich someday and that means I need to be able to lay my bony mitts on it whenever I want!

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

funny how the joke whale never comes for Android Blues...almost as if they're on the same side.

hmmmm

don't take this the wrong way but liches creep me out. they don't know how to let go. I think they've clung on to being a ghost AND a skeleton for so long that they've forgotten how to really be either. it's a high price to pay for being a less-popular vampire

you take that back! just because we're wearing black and lurking in the dark feeding on magical essence it is completely different. for us essence is only necessary to replenish reserves, and you can avoid that with some good planning.

Android Blues posted:

listen. this isnt going to be popular but: just be a hemilich. im sure ill be bombarded with Stone Rain and Tyrault's Wicked Jeering spells for even voicing this oh so scandalous thought but why not check your singleminded greed for arcane might for like two seconds and consider how much of a pain it will be to rock a high collared cape once youre just a floating head. its just gonna make you look like a god drat broom stand

as for you, I'm not gonna cast bigby's anything in here, style is a part of magic even if it's not direct, but if liches are to move past these misconceptions like being compared to vampires we all have to think carefully and just going for the hemilich is not my style, i shall be a bloody bone tornado of magic and death, and I'll show you and eric and all his stupid popular adventurer friends

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming
i'm just so sick of eric, i mean when i first moved in it was cool he was warlock with some ties to the netherworld but then he met this elf chick druid who was always smoking him out, and yeah she was cool with the whole "violating laws of nature" thing but then he multi classes into bard and is always just like "yeah music can inspire the world to change"

gods i can't wait to upgrade and move out into a proper crypt, it's gonna have crystals and loving skeletons in barrels and ghosts, and when Eric and his loser adventure friends get my invitation its gonna be great they will be so impressed, and even if they catch me i'll just res and get em next time it will be so good

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming

while i of all people can appreciate that the traditional skeleton career path of skeleton in barrel > skeleton warrior > skeleton archer is outdated and stultifying, there are some things skeletons simply will never be able to do just by virtue of the lack of fleshy parts. The mages might know a few cantrips but if they cast fire spells they tend to burn themselves and they can't utter the unspeakable words needed to raise the dead, let alone summon anything more fearsome than a cat. they just stand around looking ridiculous in their robes while the skeleton archers and priests soak up all the XP

i'll be honest some of my favorite minions are no higher than the barrel skeletons, when Eric is partying with his adventurers there's been plenty of times I end up playing cards with some of the barrel skeletons. They always have their own table and some of their stories from mortal times are hilarious

as far as skelemages go i'm always making sure they stick to ice, does it mean they're easy to predict? yes, I can't tell you the times Eric has had to clean up after some barbarians from the north, covered in ice, destroy my corporeal form. Honestly it's becoming kind of a rite of passage as i've seen some that look just like their parents

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming

even when they can talk they don't have anything interesting to say. the youngest skeleton who you could legitimately call a skeleton "warrior" is like 400 years old, and he won't stop chattering his teeth about the difficulty of getting his flamberge zweihander sharpened

there's a reason i type everything

it always depends, and i keep a few spirit speech spells around just to be able to unwind after some adventurers come by

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming

Urodov posted:

a single offsite backup is difficult enough to maintain, but having too many redundant soul-drives can lead to a host of new problems. for one thing, if there are any errors in communication between them, they can rez multiple instances of you after your body is destroyed, and even in the unlikely event that you get along well with yourself, subtle differences in personality from accumulated copy errors can pose problems.

not to mention the huge arcane energy cost and the damage to the aether by such persistent identity distortion. protecting the transdimensional environment is everybody's business, even those of us who'll never see the afterlife.

that's why i've been talking to an ET (Ectoplasmic Technician) to make sure the network is stitched together properly when i ascend to demilich i'm not gonna settle for crap like torso chunks sparring with my own skull, if I have clones they will be temporarily produced and vanish with a puff of air, like it should be

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming
as i work on the move to demilich, i've been thinking about nontraditional phylacteries, yeah the single grain of sand works, but anchoring your soul with any kind of significance is going to be hell. You're going to want to prevent accidental acquisition, one trip to the beach and some childs blanket is now carting along a significant portion of your power. Even worse, some kid could eat sand and next thing you know you're down a phylactery after all that investment. The classic blood ruby is a good look, but if you keep it in a crypt it's going to cause real issues the second a party sees it it's going in the loot bag. You use an ancient harp though you can get some really interesting sounds, plus anyone who's hunting a lich is thinking big shiny gem, just because the crystals make for an easy time attaching your soul. it's really interesting and my thesis was on the nature of soul attachment.

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming

MrWillsauce posted:

I would make my phylactery the US constitution and then I would be totally invulnerable except for Nicholas Cage

you know you can't double up right? what do you think the real plot to national treasure was?

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming
is the addiction to castles because of the deal with the devil he did?

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming

my new dog posted:

they gassed my thread

it belongs to the ghosts now

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming

mister magpie posted:

nic cage's phylactory is john travolta's face

yes but which castle is the real one that holds it? he's got like 30 decoys

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming
one of my rich friends just posted this on Marrow, such a cut up

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming
i hope ghostin pals gets it, it's pretty good

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming

don't mind me, i'm just hurriedly stuffing reams of paper into this shredder before i leave via the fire escape

Boner! :argh:

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming

Doc Friday posted:

How'd a ghost from backwoods Prussia move over here? Rent's pretty expensive, and I don't think my ghost could afford it.

the long story short is compound interest

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming

FluffieDuckie posted:

Isaias is paying out of his own pocket to put to tag on the server.

He's a hero really

but is he the hero we need?

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming

MrWillsauce posted:

how do you take your coffee fluffieduckie

black like boner's phylactery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming