Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ungulateman posted:

The quips were indeed on point. Wasn't very tense, though, let alone nigh-unbearable.

Man...people just aren't ever gonna let this go; are they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah even on the news I'm pretty sure they were referred to as the 'Typically Reclusive' Wakanda.

Yeah; it was framed as a Big drat Deal that there was a Wakandan delegation anywhere outside Wakanda at all.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Donde Esta posted:

It's been a while since Age of Ultron - which part of Vision is Ultron?

Ultron did something like 98% of the consciousness upload before the Avengers recovered the Cradle and did their own tinkering. It could very well be that he's got some Ultron in him.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kurzon posted:

This movie's plot is Tony finally accepting this and submitting himself to authority.

Except even under the guise of cooperating with the Accords, he keeps doing his own thing and drat the consequences. He talked Ross into having 36 hours of free time to solve hints himself, he cut out the security systems in the prison to have a private conversation.

Even when he's "submitting to authority" he can't let go of control. He does things his way every time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Oh absolutely. But in a more basic way: what does Stark Industries even sell? (Besides helicarrier engines?) When was the last time we saw one of Stark's actual employees? The handful of labcoat guys in Ironman 1?

Did Stark somehow buy a division of the Department Of Homeland Security? Is that even what s.h.e.i.l.d. Is? The Avengers are an Initiative, yes?

Stark's company is in direct on-screen evidence at least as late as Winter Solider and mentioned in Age of Ultron; we see Maria Hill applying for a job there at the end of WS, and it's mentioned that she's an employee in AoU. That and Tony mentions using company funds to buy buildings, dispatch humanitarian aid, etc

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ungulateman posted:

'Stark Industries exist' is not up for debate, 'what does Stark Industries do is'.

"I have successfully privatised world peace." - Iron Man

Energy research seems to be a big part of it. Before it became Avengers Tower, Stark Tower had 10 floors devoted to R&D and Tony claimed to be the biggest name in clean energy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Yaws posted:

I was real high before I saw this ( me and one of my homies rolled joints bigger than King Kongs fingers and smoked those ho's down to they're stingers) so I don't remember a lot of it but to do they state what the accords actually entail?

The biggest part of the Accords in the film is that the Avengers would no longer be able to insert themselves into foreign situations on their own authority; they would be deployed by a UN committee.

Anyone failing to sign the accords would be forced to retire from the Avengers organization; so presumably there's some manner of "approved member" roster.

In addition, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. revealed that the accords also gave the government authority to catalog and register all known Inhumans.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

enraged_camel posted:

No one who matters cares about Agent Carter, though.

It is explicitly part of the MCU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

feedmyleg posted:

Kinda. It's spun off from it, but handled by a different (and by some accounts, rival) division within Marvel. The movies don't care if something was used in one of the shows. Just because they haven't done anything contradictory yet doesn't mean they're not going to in the future. Especially when it comes to Inhumans and Agents of SHIELD.

Why would they contradict something that's explicitly part of the same continuity though?

I mean, small inconsistencies will pop up in any media franchise like this, where more than one author is making story decisions, but they aren't going to just steamroll over anything.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

enraged_camel posted:

It's well-established that the movies don't care about or even acknowledge what happens on the TV shows. For example, Agents of SHIELD calls people with powers "Inhumans," but when the Avengers are attacked by Quicksilver while they're assaulting Strucker's base, they use the term "Enhanced". And no one in the movies ever mentions any of the events that happen on the TV show, even when said events involve Hive, who poses a very serious threat to the entire planet, something you'd think the Avengers would be aware of.

It's also important to note that the TV shows, in stark contrast, do recognize the movies. The message is clear: the TV is basically the minor leagues, and each show should look up to their big brother (the movies) even though said big brother doesn't give a poo poo about it.

Quicksilver isn't an Inhuman though. He was experimented on by Hydra, and got his powers from their work with the scepter.

Inhumans are something completely different.

Edit: not everyone with powers is an inhuman. Inhumans probably qualify as "enhanced" though.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 24, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

enraged_camel posted:

Sigh...

The point is, nerds, that the movies have not explicitly acknowledged Agents of SHIELD. Can't say the same about vice versa. This means one thing: from the perspective of the big boys at Marvel, the movies matter and the TV shows don't (or they do, but only to the extent that they drive move people to the theaters).

Explicit acknowledgement or not, the TV shows are still in the same continuity, and explicitly so.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

enraged_camel posted:

My point was that Agent Carter is a Bad Show. Then jivjov misinterpreted it and said "No! Marvel clearly cares! Continuity!!!" and I went with it because it was entertaining.

Agent Carter was a fantastic show. And I'm sad that I have to use the past tense for it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Plus he found out that Bucky killed his parents while currently in the same room as Bucky and wearing a suit of power armor.

Had he found out, say, at home and not currently on a mission, he may have been able to process his anger and grief a little bit better.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Guy A. Person posted:

I agree with this although I still think the crux of the issue is whether or not you are able to side with Tony. I certainly understand his reaction, but still think it's bad and can't condone it

Yeah; I don't think anyone is supposed to condone it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Iron Man 2 is also technically Hulk 3

What?

Hulk doesn't even appear in Iron Man 2 (edit: unless he's briefly glimpsed in the news footage on the screens at the end), and even if he did, Incredible Hulk is the film immediately preceding Iron Man 2, how would IM2 be Hulk 3?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LesterGroans posted:

He's including Ang Lee's Hulk.

Why? That one is not at all part of the MCU.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Timeless Appeal posted:

Incredible Hulk is super cagey about being a sequel to Lee's Hulk, and like you're technically right? But Hulk ends with Banner in South America and Incredible begins with Hulk in South America. That's not a coincidence. It's happy to be whatever you want it to be.

Except Marvel Studios is pretty explicit about what is and isn't part of the MCU.

Ang Lee's Hulk is not and has never been considered part of the MCU.

It has not been released in any of the Phase box sets, it has not been referenced in any MCU film, and nobody from Marvel Studios have ever said anything about it being part of the MCU.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yes, it's not part of the MCU.

It also is aware that a Hulk movie came out five years ago, is not an origin story, and literally picks up where the last movie left off. It's not a direct sequel, but it's very nervous about the whole recent rebooting thing because that wasn't a thing yet. So, it feels like it can be a kinda sorta sequel to people who vaguely remember the Hulk movie from five years prior.

No matter if it "feels like" a sequel or not, it is explicitly not part of the same continuity, and it is disingenuous to imply that it is.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Detective No. 27 posted:

Continuity is a lie.

No it isn't? The entire MCU is built around the idea of having continuity between all the films and TV shows.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ungulateman posted:

"See, the Bible explicitly states that God made a circle 100 cubits across and 300 cubits around, so therefore pi is 3."

Pro tip: the only reason it isn't part of the same continuity is that Marvel doesn't like Ang Lee's Hulk, not because it isn't thematically and diegetically part of the same story

*looks at agents of shield and how it is completely and constantly overruled by what happens in the movies*

sure

And guess what...Marvel is the sole arbiter on what is and isn't in continuity.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is also explicitly part of the same continuity and has not been overruled by anything.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's... it's really not. Putting aside whether continuity matters or not (it doesn't), the MCU is not built around that idea at all.

Then why is every MCU product explicitly in continuity with the others? That doesn't happen by accident. They are building multiple stories that link together and share a continuity.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

And that is a lie. You were lied to.

No, I really haven't been.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

computer parts posted:

Unless it involves Incredible Hulk actors.

Recasts happen, regrettably. But thankfully, this is a work of fiction, and so having Banner (or Rhodey, for that matter) played by a different actor doesn't affect the narrative.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LesterGroans posted:

What about that after-credits scene where Stellan Skarsgard is being mind-controlled by Loki?

What about it? Makes perfect sense for a trickster god to be whispering out of whatever cosmic place he had ended up in. I never got the impression that Selvig was being controlled completely at that point, just influenced subconsciously. It's not until Loki shows up with the staff containing the Mind Stone that he starts being able to completely overpower people's minds and controlling them outright.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sir Kodiak posted:

Speaking of which, what comes of General Ross being recruited to the team that's being put together? In Marvel's elaborate pre-plotting of the movies years in advance, which I've been told definitely happens, was that a setup for Civil War?

Ross wasn't the one being recruited. The general assumption early on was that he was talking about Hulk, but the DVD short The Consultant revealed that he was sent to recruit Blonsky/Abomination...but Coulson and Sitwell realized that that would be a horrible idea so they sent someone guaranteed to piss off Ross the the point of not wanting to play ball with SHIELD

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Well it makes way more sense that recruiting Hulk. Banner fucks off to Alaska and is off the grid. Blonsky is the one in military custody.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

That's why the endings of Hulk 2 and Captain America were largely ignored,

There hasn't been a Hulk 2 yet (and probably won't be; weird licensing issues means that only Universal can do solo Hulk films)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ungulateman posted:

jesus christ stop being such a pedant about which movies starring bruce banner as the incredible hulk are 'real' or not

It's not being pedantic, it's being accurate. Yes, there are two Hulk movies...but one one of them is in the MCU and they are not directly related to one another other than both being about the Hulk.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Guy A. Person posted:

Dude, it's shorthand. And yes you being the person to jump in to correct him every. single. time. is the definition of pedantic and dweeby. Just let it go.

Well, I wouldn't have to jump in and correct him if he would do a modicum of research and realize that There. Is. No. Hulk. 2.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Elfgames posted:

well there are literally 2 hulk films and as he didn't put Hulk 2 in italics he wasn't necessarily saying Hulk 2 was the name of a move but stating that it was the second of two hulk films, So yes there is a hulk 2

Edit: the word Hulk has lost all meaning to me after having pronounced it in my mind 5 times.

Except to call The Incredible Hulk "Hulk 2" is to imply that it is part of the same series as Lee's Hulk. Which it isn't. The two are completely different films in completely different continuities and universes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Detective No. 27 posted:

There isn't a movie literally called Hulk 2. There is Hulk and it's sequel, The Incredible Hulk.

And again you're wrong here. Incredible Hulk is not a sequel to Hulk. It is a reboot for the character and is the first (and so far only) Hulk entry in the MCU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Detective No. 27 posted:

The people in front and behind the camera have all changed, but the story and characters have not. The only thing that has changed is that the Hulk has become "Incredible."

Except the story is not a sequel to Hulk. Incredible Hulk is a completely separate story in a different continuity.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Hodgepodge posted:

It must be really depressing being trapped in a world where Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson's books are objectively inseparable from Dune.

I've not ever experienced any Dune, unfortunately.

Shanty posted:

In fact, there are several continuities even within Hulk (2003) itself. For instance, the scenes in which Hulk battles Zzzax are in a separate continuity from those in which he battles The Absorbing Man. These are both in a separate continuity from the remainder of the film, of course.

Having only seen Ang Lee's Hulk once, many years ago, I'll have to take your word for it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Detective No. 27 posted:

We've been over this. Incredible Hulk picks up after Bruce Banner ends up in South America at the end of Ang Lee's Hulk. If The Incredible Hulk had spent time showing a radically different origin story and had Hulk fight his electricity dad again, then your argument would hold more water. Instead, we see have a quick recap of his origin, which doesn't contradict anything shown in Hulk, and he moves on with a new antagonist. Thunderbolt Ross decides that he can't stop Hulk by using family, so he creates a new Hulk instead.

Except The Incredible Hulk is in a completely different continuity to Lee's Hulk. The fact that Incredible Hulk starts in South America is no more relevant to the continuity placement than Lou Ferrrigno's appearance or the use of the sad piano music.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cavelcade posted:

I just finished Jessica Jones and that was filmed in a more satisfying way than anything in the MCU and that just makes me sad.

But Jessica Jones is part of the MCU?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sir Kodiak posted:

The first one is a top-tier comic book movie. Absolutely worth checking out. The sequel starts pretty good but goes to poo poo at the end.

Ang Lee's Hulk never received a sequel.

If you are referring to the MCU's The Incredible Hulk, I could agree with that assessment. All the stuff with Bruce on the run, up through meeting up with Leader Mr. Blue is pretty good. The final fight seems to lack something I can't quite put my finger on.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sir Kodiak posted:

I understand you're feeling persecuted about this, but if you look at my post, you'll clearly see I called it "the second one," not a "sequel." There's no need to expand this witch hunt to include me when I'm just talking about the movies.

You ninja edited it then, because when I quoted your post, it said sequel.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sir Kodiak posted:

I think I'd remember that.

Well, do note that the post I quoted says "sequel". At some point, you posted "sequel"

Whether you edited it or a moderator did, it at some point said "sequel". Which is a thing that Ang Lee's Hulk film does not have.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Guy A. Person posted:

Jesus jivjov did you seriously doctor someone's post to continue dogging everyone in this thread about this super petty crap?

No, I just pressed Quote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

mastershakeman posted:

Why does canon matter whatsoever when it can be retroactivity declared as true/not true and thrawn goes from in universe to never existing just because some exec said so?

Because having a collected universe of stories that can interconnect and affect one another is cool

• Locked thread