Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

alnilam posted:

Like they handed it to me saying it was an "american ale " and i was like "hmm not bad, a little light but not bad" and they took a sip and were like gently caress

what dry ale yeast did they pitch, nottingham? lol lil homebrewrrs inside joke there yall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Hugh Malone posted:

i dunno, but i read the oldest bottle opened was in aystralia I think, like 100 yr old stuff, and it was supposedly amazing

i should try some mead soon

alnilam posted:

lol my friends tried to prank me once by brewing a bud light clone in secret, they said it was the grossest looking wort ever and the main ingredient was "rice syrup solids"

They wanted to prank me good because i was always saying that homebrewing is so easy to at least make half decent beer, any home brewed beer was good, i would say, and they wanted to trick me into drinking one that was bad.

The joke ended up being on them because much to their dismay it actually tasted way better than actual bud light

i really just drink cheap beer now but newcastle has always been my favorite and the best newcastle i ever had was a six pack that my brother brewed for me for christmas one year

alnilam

Newcastle is a nut brown ale and brown ales homebrewed turn out real nice ime, def easier than lagers too. I'm glad your bro made a nice one 4u :)

Scathach

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

There's a dorf on my ale. I think you should all try Spire Mountian.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

alnilam posted:

Newcastle is a nut brown ale and brown ales homebrewed turn out real nice ime, def easier than lagers too. I'm glad your bro made a nice one 4u :)

yeah he said the main flavors were chocolate and smoke, it was delicious.

back in the late 80s and the 90s a lot of people i knew were home brewing and there was some really terrible poo poo so i'm always a little suspicious of home-brews now. :(

SniperWoreConverse

Hugh Malone posted:

mead takes forever to mellow out, like a year to be kind of good usually. bottle it up and hide it, make a batch every few months, then after awhile have nonstop mead

i'm a little concerned about the raisin addition :ohdear:

Nah it turned out no problems, I racked it again and tasted it, these are the results

Clearer but I keep sucking up a tiny amount of lees by accident and it pisses me off immensely
tastes less gross already. the really sharp and powerful blood orange flavor has round out nice
has an offputting bready taste like too much yeast, or yeast was bad quality.

When I do the blackberry batch i'm gonna pick wild ones and not wash them, and also not add in any weak, domesticated yeast :unsmigghh:

also I keep spilling some every time from letting the tube flip out like a dumbass. my one dog is disgusted by this but the other loving loves it and runs in to try and lick up as much as he can

alnilam posted:

To this day i am very touched they put so much effort into it, and i feel really bad that i was a little out of it the day they pranked me because i had been dumped the day before

I heard brewing poo poo style 'murcan pissbeer is almost impossible because they actually use ultra advanced industrial techniques and equipment in order to maximize profit
like one thing they do in their giant vats is wash beechwood with lye to remove all flavors from it, and then the yeast uses this as a large surface area to grow on without getting layers of dead cells
& the formaldehyde they add to really round out the flavor

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 13, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
cool sniper, my concern was infection but vigorous fermentation is usually enough to thwart a few bacterios.

if you got any wild yeast from the raisin addition it might dry it out a little more

the best sweet meads I've tasted had boiled, cooled syrup added after fermentation anyway, in fact you can play with adding different amounts of sweetness or flavorings at bottling if you want

Killa B
Pittsburgh, PA. Very good friend is out there for the weekend and asked me if I wanted her to pick me up some local beers. Obviously I said yes! Won't be able to hit up breweries and growler fills are a no go. Any beers that ppl can recommend that's not normally available outside Western PA area?

Piso Mojado

I'm riding down the highway with a uhaul helping a friend move. bout to crack open a tall can of miller high life because..why not.

Robot Made of Meat

Piso Mojado posted:

I'm riding down the highway with a uhaul helping a friend move. bout to crack open a tall can of miller high life because..why not.

Good plan, Piso Mojado!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

alnilam

Killa B posted:

Pittsburgh, PA. Very good friend is out there for the weekend and asked me if I wanted her to pick me up some local beers. Obviously I said yes! Won't be able to hit up breweries and growler fills are a no go. Any beers that ppl can recommend that's not normally available outside Western PA area?

Drai Laag and Arsenal cider are two of the most unique boozeries I've ever encountered. I say this as a Pittsburgh resident who travels a lot and always explores local booze wherever i go.

Neither place cans or bottles but you can fill 1 Ls or growlers

e: just read growlers are a no go, gently caress

alnilam

Get them anyway

alnilam

Where do you live I'm trying to gauge how local to go here

Munchables

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

I drink about once a week, and usually only Foster's, sometimes a pint of Guinness with it.

Robot Made of Meat

I drink about once a week too. I start on Monday around 3PM, and stop Sunday Evening around 11.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Killa B

alnilam posted:

Where do you live I'm trying to gauge how local to go here

I live in the Scranton/Mt. Pocono area

Killa B

alnilam posted:

Drai Laag and Arsenal cider are two of the most unique boozeries I've ever encountered. I say this as a Pittsburgh resident who travels a lot and always explores local booze wherever i go.

Neither place cans or bottles but you can fill 1 Ls or growlers

e: just read growlers are a no go, gently caress

Saw Drai Laag here. Forgot which one it was. Will double check tomorrow

alnilam

Hmm all the best pgh-only brews are growler only, the only ones bottled and sold in distributors unique to western pa i can think of are

penn brewery - the brewery itself is really fun and an old pgh spot. beers are all very dece but nothing to write home about.

Church brewworks - brewed in an old church that is now a brew pub, the bottled ones are just okay but their best ones are usually one-offs sold in the restaurant only

Gamer With Dignity

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jebediah Kerman posted:

I drink beer while browsing the internet, it's a good time

Tell me about your day or what beer you're drinking!

I'm drinking a Rolling Rock out on the porch.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Killa B
Appreciate the feedback. She didn't get anything but I'll be going to the city myself in November for the Steelers/Dallas game and plan on making a weekend out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnes And Body Works

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:
Drinking Crown Royal and Coke.

I really like the taste of whiskey but it's heckin' warm, which makes me angered...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K02aiv7jrEs Music?

Vanisher made my super slick sig.

• Locked thread