Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

The news may have slowed last month, but that’s only because campaign season has kicked into high gear. With an orange-haired-small-handed-troll/truth-teller—who-tells-it-like-it-is-to-save-America increasingly likely to lead the Republicans and a shrill-harpy/only-woman-who-can-get-things-done likely to lead the Democrats, you can be sure that this summer and fall will be a drag-down, knock-out brawl. But before that, we still have to get through USPOL May 2016!

114th Congress Bingo Card

As mentioned above, there’s not much to speak of on the Congressional side of things (unless you count commemorations of Prince and Bison), but there’s still a little bit to talk about (and it’s mostly bad news)

Other News, featuring the Clinton Corner

Hillary Clinton was mean enough to force a genial old man to scale back his political campaign. Obviously this means you shouldn’t vote for Hillary!

In other news…

Talk to other goons (why would you want to do that?)
Remember that we have an IRC channel at synirc in #poligoon for livesteaming stuff.

Goon Recommendations
Documentaries

Talks

Long pieces

Books

Twitter feeds

• @costareports (Robert Costa, Washington Post, formerly National Review): Conservative-leaning journalist to whom Republican sources often leak backroom stories (Republican retreats, Presidential campaigns, etc.)
  • @daveweigel (Dave Weigel, Bloomberg Politics, formerly Slate): "Idiosyncratic libertarian" journalist who is second only to Robert Costa in connections/interviews with Republican officials. Contrary to popular belief, not D&D superstar Joementum.
  • @BruceBartlett (Bruce Bartlett, ex-Reagan/Bush official): "Lifelong conservative who now thinks the GOP panders to fools, whom he calls wankers. My tweets should not always be taken seriously."
  • The following are semi-random selections from a list offered by Rygar201 and may be good or bad.
    • @owillis (Olivier Willis, research fellow, Media Matters)
    • @mattyglesias (Matt Yglesias, executive editor, Vox)
    • @JuddLegum (Judd Legum, Editor-in-Chief, Think Progress)
    • @dick_nixon "37th President of the United States. Messages from the President are unsigned, others from Ronald Ziegler. "
    • @EricBoehlert (Eric Boehlert, Media Matters)
    • @JamilSmith (Jamil Smith, senior editor, The New Republic)
    • @jonathanchait (Jonathan Chait, New York Magazine)
    • @nielslesniewski (Neils Lesniewski, Senate coverage, Roll Call)
    • @abwhite7 (Abraham White, former comms for Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chuck Schumer (D-NY))
    • @DSenFloor (Senate D Floor Watch): "Live floor updates from the Senate Democrats"
    • @billmon1 (Billmon)
    • @ebruenig (Elizabeth Bruenig, The New Republic)

Related threads
"US Politics" is an incredibly broad topic, as A) the country is freaking huge and B) given our role in international events pretty much everything impacts us. So there are other subthreads
2016 Presidential Primary
2016 US Senate Elections
SCOTUS thread
Right Wing Media

There are also regional subthreads that are usually pretty slow, but sometimes cross-pollinate with this thread when something important is happening.
Pacific Northwest
Illinois
Texas
California

Lifted the rest of the above from FriedChicken. As before post suggestions for adding to the above and I'll edit them in if I see them.

And remember folks, drink chat goes in D&D chat thread. Drink responsibly. Your liver will thank you.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Rabbit rabbit

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Link to the White House Correspondents' Dinner, which you should definitely watch because it was amazing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Litany Unheard posted:

Link to the White House Correspondents' Dinner, which you should definitely watch because it was amazing.

Wilmore's Andrew Jackson joke was hilarious and also left the press corps cowering in fear.

CNN people are the most thin-skinned babies. I always assumed they knew they were a joke.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Christ, what a depressing thing to read right before bed.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

JonathonSpectre posted:

I just want to remind everyone of something.

One of the most loathsome people to ever loving live on this planet, Ted Cruz, backstabbed and hosed over every person he came in contact with for the past four years, forced his party into a bunch of no-win scenarios that made them look stupid and clueless, and generally called out everyone in his entire party as a bunch of commiesymp Islamolibs who want to dress up as a gay-married woman and gently caress a child in a public bathroom. He did all of these things knowingly, burning every bridge he's ever crossed, mauling every hand that's ever fed him, all in service of one dream: He would become the Republican nominee in 2016 and win the Presidency and then the trail of blood and nightmares he left behind wouldn't matter because gently caress you I'm POTUS that's why.

He sacrificed everything to this goal, and he's going to lose by a small number of delegates to the political equivalent of the Fukushima meltdown. His strategy would (probably) have worked! It's pretty clear that the JEB! never stood a chance regardless of how much money he raised because he's a loving walking Ambien who conservatives thoroughly despise, Scott Walker couldn't even figure out how to hire someone who understood things like "a budget," Ben Carson looks like an attractive candidate up until he has to speak in anything other than meaningless fortune-cookie platitudes, etc. All that work, all that planning, all that treachery, all that time.

ALL FOR loving NOTHING AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

He's been reaching for this brass ring his entire life, leaning farther and farther out from his carousel horse. What would he lose first, his balance, or his nerve? But he never flinched, leaning out further and further with each turn of the carousel, and then just before, just before his fingertip brushed it an orange hand came out of nowhere and took that bitch right away from him, right in front of him, and there was never anything he could do to stop it. Now all that's left is the fall.

There aren't words in any language to describe the joy it brings me to see such a heinous, hateful motherfucker destroyed in such a gut-wrenching, miserable way. Tonight was the beginning of Ted Cruz's descent to a talk radio host saying things like, "Well, when *I* was in the United States Senate, let me tell you..."

Ted is a mess.
Ted is a waste.

This needs to be in the OP.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Can I reccomend a book for the book pile? Savage Inequality by Johnathan Kozol, though slightly dated (written early 2000s), is a pretty brutal picture of the width and breadth of the de facto segregation of the American public school system. It is a relatively short, engaging read that I really encourage anyone interested in systemic inequity give a look into. Lower-education policy tends not to get much play in these threads, but for my money it is possibly the single most important civil rights/class issue currently at play. I worked in an elementary that feeds one of the high schools covered in the book for a year and feel comfortable in saying that bad schools not only hobble kids relative to their good-school peers but actively damage them and instill an earned distrust of authority from literally day one of grade one.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Dexo posted:

This needs to be in the OP.

I honestly considered it, but didn't have a good place to put it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
ctrl+f "In bad news"

1 of 11 matches

Did any good news happen at all?

Also might want to add the SCOTUS passed on Texas' voter ID law to the bad news list. From what I heard on the radio this means the laws are hey until a lower court does something (after Nov).

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

PhazonLink posted:

ctrl+f "In bad news"

1 of 11 matches

Also might want to add the SCOTUS passed on Texas' voter ID law to the bad news list. From what I heard on the radio this means the laws are hey until a lower court does something (after Nov).

Thanks for reminding me.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:
Goddamn Boehner just flat does not give a gently caress anymore. The whole skit was great.

And goddamn Obama's final comments on the press are loving great, ending with the literal mic drop.

Dick Milhous Rock! fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 1, 2016

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

TheOneOutside posted:

Goddamn Boehner just flat does not give a gently caress anymore. The whole skit was great.

Why should he, he finally got his grand bargain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIJoAb1bUOc

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Why does everyone have a Yoda rape avatar now? :confused:

e: welp

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 1, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I hadn't even posted in this thread yet

that seems premature

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I hadn't even posted in this thread yet

that seems premature

Apologies, I was reading the rest of last month's thread before coming here, and obviously I couldn't ask in last month's thread :v:

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
I just came in to say everyone should watch Larry Wilmore because that poo poo was off the charts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IDFt3BL7FA

Also the Prez got some nice digs in too

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Yea, if the title was not already it, I would suggested USPOL MAY: two thugs interrupt elegant dinner in DC.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but the "hot take" reaction from the media is that Wilmore flopped.

Did he actually suck, or is this the media being oblivious again, like they were with Colbert?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Media says jokes in its expense weren't funny. I believe it.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
The CNN burns were great and the dead silence only made them better

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I think it was 50-50. Some of his jokes were pretty meh, but he had some pretty sharp rear end burns that none of the journalists laughed at

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
The groans were the best parts. It was beautiful.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Can I reccomend a book for the book pile? Savage Inequality by Johnathan Kozol, though slightly dated (written early 2000s), is a pretty brutal picture of the width and breadth of the de facto segregation of the American public school system. It is a relatively short, engaging read that I really encourage anyone interested in systemic inequity give a look into. Lower-education policy tends not to get much play in these threads, but for my money it is possibly the single most important civil rights/class issue currently at play. I worked in an elementary that feeds one of the high schools covered in the book for a year and feel comfortable in saying that bad schools not only hobble kids relative to their good-school peers but actively damage them and instill an earned distrust of authority from literally day one of grade one.

Well, this looks great, I needed something to make me even more depressed. Should be perfect.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
I just watched Larry Wilmore's bit and God drat what a bad rear end, anyone who says that set was "bad" works for a loving media company. It wasn't quite up there with Stephen Colbert just roasting the gently caress out of W. Bush right to his face but it was beautiful.

In case you've forgotten, here are the two jokes from that 2006 Correspondent's Dinner that are burned into my brain forever.

"This President is a man who believes the same thing on Wednesday as he did on Monday... no matter what happened on Tuesday!"

and

"Now the polls say that less than one-third of Americans approve of the job this man is doing as President. But doesn't that mean that over two-thirds of Americans approve of the job that he's NOT doing?"

This was with Bush about 10 feet away. To his credit, GW did his best to roll with the punches but Laura Bush was so coldly furious she could have done the "chill a Dr. Pepper" thing Wolverine and Iceman did in X2.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I got to say the Zodiac subset was a little flat. Rest of it killed. But, as always, Obama was the best comedian on the stage.

Extra props for Diamond Joe's three pairs of sunglasses.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

JonathonSpectre posted:

I just watched Larry Wilmore's bit and God drat what a bad rear end, anyone who says that set was "bad" works for a loving media company. It wasn't quite up there with Stephen Colbert just roasting the gently caress out of W. Bush right to his face but it was beautiful.

In case you've forgotten, here are the two jokes from that 2006 Correspondent's Dinner that are burned into my brain forever.

"This President is a man who believes the same thing on Wednesday as he did on Monday... no matter what happened on Tuesday!"

and

"Now the polls say that less than one-third of Americans approve of the job this man is doing as President. But doesn't that mean that over two-thirds of Americans approve of the job that he's NOT doing?"

This was with Bush about 10 feet away. To his credit, GW did his best to roll with the punches but Laura Bush was so coldly furious she could have done the "chill a Dr. Pepper" thing Wolverine and Iceman did in X2.

The follow up to the 1/3 joke was likening it to backwash in a glass of water, which was the really stunner of the set.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Joel McHale's set had a similar vibe to it. It's up there in my top 5. Cecily Strong or Wanda Sykes had the weakest Obama WHCD. Seriously though, if you haven't watched Seth Meyer, Joel McHale, or Jimmy Kimmel do their sets, do so now. They're great. But Joel is basically in The Soup mindset while talking about "the media." No punches pulled.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Warcabbit posted:

I got to say the Zodiac subset was a little flat
Agreed on this part

my favorites

quote:

Well, welcome to “Negro Night” here at the Washington Hilton, or as Fox News will report, “Two thugs disrupt elegant dinner in D.C.”

quote:

You got some jokes. Mr. President. The president’s funny. Stay in your lane, man. You don’t seem me going around president-ing all the time, right? I don’t go around passing health care, and signing executive orders, pardoning turkeys … not closing Guantanamo. Oh wait, maybe I did do that....

quote:

All I’m saying is that in less than eight years, Mr. President, you’ve busted two time-honored stereotypes. Black does crack, and apparently once you go black, it looks like we are going back.

quote:

Al Sharpton, I think, was here tonight. You know, I’m surprised Al is a Hillary supporter. You don’t put a relaxer in your hair for 40 years and not feel the burn. That just doesn’t happen. It’s impossible.
By the way, if you’re sitting next to Al Sharpton, feel free to feel the perm. It’s okay, we’ve cleared it, it’s alright.

quote:

Bernie’s been hanging around with rapper Killer Mike. Or as Hillary Clinton calls him, Super Predator Mike.

quote:

Donald Trump, now Donald Trump says he’s going to try and be more presidential. It’s true, he’s serious about it, too. So he says that now, when he boasts about his genitalia during a debate, he’s only going to refer to it as his President Johnson.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

ctrl+f "In bad news"

1 of 11 matches

I thought SCOTUS was giving the lower court until the Republican convention to make a decision since they've been stalling with the justification that "it's too close to the election"...since 2014.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Maybe America does need an Operation Hummingbird, after all.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kozol is cool. He came to my college when I was a freshman and spoke about segregation still exists in schools, and when he went around trying to raise the budget for inner city schools, he'd meet with rich people who sent their kids to boarding school who'd say "how would increasing the budget make the situation better?"

I bought his book "The Shame of the Nation" which talks about said segregation in depth.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm predicting neither Bernie nor Cruz drop out until June. Cruz maybe even later since he's basically LARPing as the frontrunner.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

SgtScruffy posted:

I think it was 50-50. Some of his jokes were pretty meh, but he had some pretty sharp rear end burns that none of the journalists laughed at
Larry Wilmore is not very funny.

But standing up in front of that many people and describing, even in imprecise detail, what a bunch a miserable shits they all are, and how loving ashamed of themselves they ought to be, and how the one small consolation of a Trump Presidency is that half of them will be murdered (maybe that's me adding the last bit)...

...that takes a kind of courage. Good for him.

Incidentally it feels good to belong to something, whatever the gently caress this is :3:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm predicting neither Bernie nor Cruz drop out until June. Cruz maybe even later since he's basically LARPing as the frontrunner.

Cruz is riding the crazy train all the way to Cleveland.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Can I recommend a book for the book pile?

Another recommendation I recently read: $2.00 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing In America, by Kathryn J. Edin and H. Luke Shaefer.

It's essentially an up-to-date, very policy-heavy version of Barbara Ehrenreich's Nickel and Dimed, and an excellent, absolutely horrifying exposé of the simple fact that "1.5 million households with roughly 3 million children were surviving on cash incomes of no more than $2 per person, per day in any given month” in 2011.

To very basically explain why, according to Edin and Shaefer, the current welfare program is dependent on work and for some people and their children it is just literally impossible to find any work, let alone work that will pay enough for long-term housing. The horrifying result is welfare-for-work's natural byproduct. Thanks moral hazardites!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Kilroy posted:

Larry Wilmore is not very funny.

But standing up in front of that many people and describing, even in imprecise detail, what a bunch a miserable shits they all are, and how loving ashamed of themselves they ought to be, and how the one small consolation of a Trump Presidency is that half of them will be murdered (maybe that's me adding the last bit)...

...that takes a kind of courage. Good for him.

Incidentally it feels good to belong to something, whatever the gently caress this is :3:

Larry Wilmore is an incredibly funny guy with a critical flaw he is not the best orator.

He is great at coming up with and writing funny material he's just not always able to execute the talking part of it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Did somebody spend like a hundred bux on Yoda avatars last night or is this mod fuckery

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Another recommendation I recently read: $2.00 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing In America, by Kathryn J. Edin and H. Luke Shaefer.

It's essentially an up-to-date, very policy-heavy version of Barbara Ehrenreich's Nickel and Dimed, and an excellent, absolutely horrifying exposé of the simple fact that "1.5 million households with roughly 3 million children were surviving on cash incomes of no more than $2 per person, per day in any given month” in 2011.

To very basically explain why, according to Edin and Shaefer, the current welfare program is dependent on work and for some people and their children it is just literally impossible to find any work, let alone work that will pay enough for long-term housing. The horrifying result is welfare-for-work's natural byproduct. Thanks moral hazardites!

Check out Ehrenreich's Economic Hardship Reporting Project. They've brought some really good pieces to fruition. It's directed by Alissa Quart, who reported this feature on 24 hour daycare for Pacific Standard a couple years ago.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Epic High Five posted:

Did somebody spend like a hundred bux on Yoda avatars last night or is this mod fuckery

Either way, it's pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If I have a yoda avatar in this post it's thread fuckery

• Locked thread