Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bear Hall - Doom 6

Normally bustling, the eatery has fallen silent this afternoon after a ringing slap made itself heard over the din. Sabine de Lys, cheek red, is staring in shock and rage. Before her is Rosamund Edler von Mindelheim - one of the better fencers of your year, and by far less noble in rank. Her white glove hangs in her hand, and her teeth are bared with rage.

"If you will not take your words back, then I will prove them wrong with steel! Or are you a coward as well as a slanderer?"

These sorts of arguments are not especially rare, but the sheer rage involved is uncommon - and the two women involved sure to bring trouble. Each is quite popular, after all. Whatever insult was given, there's no way this argument won't spill over. Each of you was close enough to overhear part of it - which means you're close enough to become involved, as the rumors begin to spread through the hall and people begin taking sides.

So, questions, first come, first served. What did Sabine say that has enraged Rosamund so much? Which of you was also insulted by it? Who owes Sabine a favor and will have to become involved?

If you don't want to answer any of those, at least answer this: What are you doing, and what business do you have with Sabine or Rosamund?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Well it's obvious isn't it--Sabine would NEVER let an opportunity pass to cast a slight on me, even by association. I didn't hear quite what was said, but I can tell from the way people are casting sidelong glances at me that I'm right. Which would be better if I'd just heard it, so I could be sure how insulted I'm supposed to be.

Not that I'm...really that good yet at dealing with the response that an insult is supposed to have. I mean, I was just here to have lunch, really. That, and bring Sabine her stupid homework that I stayed up late to finish for her. Ungrateful! Oops, I spilled stew on it. Silly me!

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 4, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

I want to strangle Sabine de Lys with my bare hands.

Of course I don't let this show on my face, but I should have known something like this would happen. And now that it has, Sabine is going to drag me into her mess. Again. I missed the argument, but it was impossible to miss Rosamund's challenge. And even before her cheek started turning red, Sabine looked me right in the eyes as I turned to see what had happened.

It would be expected for me to take Sabine's side. Besides the fact that her family's position makes her a potentially valuable ally, we are cousins - third twice removed - and attended Leiningen together. But there's a reason she wasn't of the first rank there. Always shocked and affronted when someone she sees as beneath her stands up to her. Always assuming any she considers her equals to share her opinions. Sabine is, in short, a bully.

She also has a temper, so there's not a chance she'll back down. Which means Sabine will need a second. And with that look, she's made it clear who she's asking to take the role.

I meet her gaze and nod. No way to turn her down without making this into an even bigger debacle.

Gods High and Low, I need to find better friends.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 10, 2016

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Jamie watched the proceedings, one hand on hilt, the other gently touching the far more hidden dagger as if to remind themselves it was there, giving an amused look. Ah, de Lys. Technically the were close in rank - or at least, the Cooke-Taylor family was close in rank to the de Lys family - but they were just a step lower enough for it to matter to Sabine. Not that much was lost there - she always found Sabine to be quite the boor. Now here she was, laying an insult not nearly as subtle - or as witty - as she thought, on poor Heike. Rosamund, in comparison was far more fetching, be it in intellect, wit, or more. They had some shared moments of fondness; she enjoyed tracing the tattoo on Jamie's neck, and Jamie enjoyed it being traced. But Sabine was ALSO a drat good fencer, and some were whispering she was nearly as, if not actually, as good as Rosamund. And von Steiner was getting a lot of meaningful looks. All of this looked to be absolutely delicious. And, again, she had insulted dear Heike. She had to play a role.

Slowly - a good drama must build itself up, after all - Jamie walks over to join Rosamund, eyeing the others, doing some mental calculations. Rosamund's roommate would probably join Sabine - not out of loyalty to that dullard, but out of spite against Rosamund. And possibly her. The occasional tête-à-tête had unfortunately woken her up on at least one occasion. But she was rubbish with a blade, so no worry there. Heike, bless her soul, would hopefully stay out of this. That seradynn, von Metzger, would assuredly jump in - she'd seen the way her and von Steiner glare at each other, not so different from lovers, but different enough, and that sort of rivalry demands action, and von Metzger would never let a spotlight exist without her being in it's vicinity. Wild cards...the other rain troll, the one Lili was allowing herself to be extorted by (Ah, Lili - quite pretty, but equally dumb, but likewise equally wealthy - a name on at least one of list, for sure), and the wight who had something to prove (Jamie made a mental note to talk to her later. That dress - fantastic! The buzz of rumors surrounding her were enticing - she had to know why!)

A whirlpool of incestuous alliances, rivalries, and lover's circles, all about to clash into one another.

How utterly, absolutely delicious.

pre:
Race:  Nineblood (Inspiration)
Class: Rogue

Strength:  5	Charisma: 7 	Magic: 	4
Quickness: 6	Reason:	  5	Heart: 	9

Body: 	   5	Mood: 	  3	Wealth:	2

Reputations:

Histories:	Sang and ran with the Songbirds on the rooftops (4)

Inspirations:	[ ] Increase personal power (4)
		[ ] Enflame the passions of others (2)
		[ ] Live the good life (2)
		[ ] Pay off my debts (1)
		[ ] Nineblood
Styles: Swashbuckler (a), Dagger-and-Wine (n)
Class Abilities: Hunted
Talents: N/A

Gear: Sabre (Q3 MS4 W3), Dagger (Q1 MS2 W2), Throwing Knives (Q2 MS2 W2), Stylish Jacket (Q4 W3), 
Tattoo (musical note on nape of the neck, Q2 W1), Smoke Bomb (Q6 W2) 

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 30, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You know I didn't quite catch that, being as invested as I was in this excellent soup, but I certainly heard the aftermath. I look up with my spoon still in hand and I see Sabine and Rosamund facing off at each other.

What sallymapping preposterousness has led to this turn of events, I wonder rhetorically to myself.

Consider Sabine. I don't have much to think or to say about her.

Consider Rosamund. My situation here is unfortunately similar.

Consider that these both are apparently beneath me, I think. Maybe? I don't know where I stand. I gaze upon my soup as if to divine an answer, but the bone marrow that was dissolved in the broth does not give me much to go by.

Then it comes back to me. I remember Rosamund laughing up her sleeve during THAT AFTERNOON TEA - the worst moment of my life! - and it feels like I just froze up. Is this how water feels when it becomes ice?

Was Sabine there? I can't remember.

"Rosamund Edler von Mindelheim, why in the name of the heavens are you interrupting my luncheon," I say, trying not to taper off too hard when it becomes clear to me just HOW quiet the room has gotten.

Maybe... maybe this wasn't the best idea.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

While I don't have any particular dog in this fight, neither can I ignore something like this. Even the most exciting tales come from the most humble of origins. Or petty, for this matter.

I'll admit, I only heard of it offhand - Rosamund blundered about with her boasting, Sabine lost her temper, Rosamund took offense from the other's insult and demanded justice. The details, we can fill in as we go. What matters is what we do next.

I've already passed on a note to one of my classmates, an eager girl with a penchant for starting rumors. She'll probably read the note before she hands it off to Rosamund, probably gossip about it along the way. So by the time Rosamund hears the news, the rumor mill would already make it come true: that I would be her second for this duel.

Why her? We're not exactly close, but our mothers were comrade-at-arms during the last war with Charlonne. I figure that doing her a favor here would lead to another along the line. Plus, I get to show off.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Renate had been trying to pay as little attention to Rosamund as possible while she got something to eat. It's well-known that she doesn't like Rosamund and Rosamund doesn't like her, and Renate is tired of giving her a target to poke at for the time being. That will assuredly happen whether she wants it to or not, sooner or later.

That Rosalind has decided to go after Sabine instead: that's fine by Renate, it gives her a reprieve. But she wasn't expecting it to get so... loud. Or direct. Sabine must have said something particularly sharp, probably about Rosalind's heritage or family position. Those who have just a little are often more sensitive about it than those who either have none or who are highly placed indeed.

Well, Renate doesn't owe Sabine a favour, but she doesn't need to. She finds herself gravitating in that direction anyhow, as much to hear the follow-up as anything else. If, by some miracle, Sabine does pull ahead, it will feel very good indeed to watch Rosalind get a comeuppance. And if she doesn't... well, maybe there's something she can do to support Sabine.

She smiles, just a little, to herself. It's gone as fast as it happened. But this could be ... interesting.

Prism fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 5, 2016

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

It's looking likely that this isn't going to end without a duel, which shouldn't be a surprise, but it's also looking like people are picking sides.

Worse, it's looking like people are picking Sabine's side. This is bad!

"Um," I say, rising. "I was--" I clear my throat, realizing I'm speaking into the silence left by Radmila's outburst. Squeaking, more like. Little mouse!

I start again. "I was wondering just how it was Rosamund who's at fault, since it was Sabine who was doing the insulting. Um. And insulted me too."

I fidget nervously. I'm going to die if I challenge Sabine myself, that much is sure. I might die of embarrassment right now, with everyone staring.

"I wasn't even part of the conversation," I point out reasonably. drat it, that might backfire. "But, I know an insult when I hear one!" That's better.

Shut up now. Keep it short and--

"And I'm sure that Frau Holzreichner would NOT approve! S-so, I challenge you too!" Now I've gone and done it. I wince and slowly lower myself back down to my seat, red-faced. At least...at least I can get someone who can fight to fight for me?

I hope...

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 5, 2016

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Jamie's eyes practically light up. She gives a side grin to Rosamund, and a much bigger grin to everyone else there.

"And I shall be her champion. Though, naturally, the insult can always be rescinded."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Before I can even make my way over to the knot of angry classmates, this whole mess somehow manages to get bigger and worse. I quickly step into the circle forming up, very nearly shouldering an irate Sabine aside. If need to get ahead of this before anyone else challenges her to a duel. Or makes some kind of other embarrassing outburst.

"Formal challenges have been made," I say, loudly. "As per custom, those issuing and accepting challenges should retire, and allow their seconds to arrange matters - and determine if amends can be made." I give Jamie a sharp look at that. Demanding an apology here and now isn't going to cool anyone's temper, least of all Sabine's. "In private. Anything else would be unseemly."

"Rosamund Elder, Heike von Neimannsburg, on behalf of Sabine de Lys, I will meet with your representatives this evening, after the sixth bell, in the cafe near the theater." Unless I miss my guess, that will mean Mariele, Jamie, and... does Heike have someone else to stand for her? I hope so. Maybe I should pull Jaime aside and we can draft someone if need be.

"Until then, good day." With that, I hustle Sabine out of there before this descends into an actual brawl.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 10, 2016

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Well, this was getting interesting. Suddenly all manner of seconds presented themselves. Figures, of course. Humans always seemed to be prone to acting rashly, especially when things like honor and dignity got involved. Rash decisions, of course, provide opportunities - and a wise troll always takes advantage of an opportunity. That's what my dear dad used to say, at any rate. The recent popularity of duels have made for quite a lucrative enterprise, because inevitably, camps are made supporting either of the two duelists. Some people are less involved than others, and some are less smart than others, and will easily be goaded into placing a bet on their champion of choice.

And when one audience member places a bet, others are quick to follow. Thus I have developed myself, quite smoothly, as the local accountant when it comes to dueling wagers. It's frowned upon by some of the more rigid nobles, but even they can't always resist the allure of easy wealth. That's what they've built their lives on. So as the dueling time comes closer, it's not long before one finds me and wishes to place a bet, and then others follow, and they hardly notice that I skim some off the top in the passionate support of the champions on whichever side they like best Now, if there was to be a dueling tournament of sorts, I could really make some money, but as it stands, it's a nice little side-income, since there's never a day that goes by without a duel or another being declared. It does take up quite a bit of time, though, since I am required to be present at all duels in order to determine the outcome and thus appropriately repay the wagers when it's done.

Between Teresa on one side, and Jamie, Heike and Mariele on the other, the wagers weren't particularly exciting. Having Sabine and Rosamund fight a proper duel, now there would have been something interesting. Both of them are quite the fencing prodigies. Teresa was clearly skilled, but Mariele was no slouch herself, and Jamie was a tricky, underhanded sort. The clear underdog was Heike, here, unless she got a champion of her own. I continue my meal, as the wheels of calculations turn in my head.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Things got a bit confused so here's where they stand.

Jamie was gonna be Rosamund's second, but it ended up being Mariele instead. Thus, when Heike challenged Sabine, Jamie declared herself as Heike's champion. Sabine is currently set to fight both Rosamund and Jamie from two consecutive duel declarations, with Teresa as her second.

As for why all this, Sabine made some kind of insult aimed at Heike, that also somehow hit Rosamund, thus leading to Rosamune demanding she take it back or take up arms.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sabine laughs. It is bright, musical, cheery - not all resembling the nasty expression in her eyes. She reaches up to touch her reedened cheek.

"My! And to think you'd care so much! All I said was I was surprised that a mutt could pass for a pedigreed hound with enough frills and soap."

She glances over at Heike, shaking her head.

"And you, too? My, my, my, I'd no idea you were such dog fanciers!" She nods imperiously to Teresa, seeming to expect this as her right. Rosamund reddens further. She turns to Heike and Jaime and nods curtly.

Sabine turns to Radmila, curtseying in a manner both polite and slightly overdone, as though showing off. "Oh, my lady! I'm afraid I have been caught up in chaos because I had the temerity to venture an opinion on the raising of hounds." Her glance flickers over Rosamund and Heike again as she so carefully enunciates the word 'hounds.' "Apparently this is a vile insult now, can you imagine?"

Rosamund, for her part, is at least distracted for the moment as someone whispers to her. "-my second? Really? Why would...ugh, fine." She gestures to Jaime and Heike, marching angrily after Mariele. "Come on then. I'm told you're my second, which...I can't say I remember declaring, but at this point, nothing else today is going as I planned. Join us." She turn to Heike and Jaime. "I'm sorry you were caught up in that conniving sow's...ugh. We'll need to plan for this - I'm good with a blade, but..."

But Sabine is one of the finer fencers of the year as well, and also learning magic. She turns, fanning herself and wrapping one of her hanging blonde curls around her finger. "Come now, Teresa, daaaarling, why don't we do some studying while we plan this. Perhaps you'll join us, my dear Fraulein Kolmas? Fraulein Siegel? I hear you are an excellent study partner." She is remarkably unconcerned - confidence, perhaps.

Arantxa, meanwhile, collects wagers from students on both sides. Joining either party's planning session could help with setting odds as this goes on...and could be useful either way. But it would also mean declaring a side, unless done quite carefully...

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 11, 2016

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Oh god, I'm trembling. Did I just--did she just--I feel like I'm going to throw up!

I'm so stupid! Sabine could EASILY just reveal the truth about me! I put my head down on my arms and just try to breathe. How did I let myself get carried away with this situation?
I let out a little moan. "All we need to plan is my funeral," I sigh. I'm moping and I know it. Jamie has promised to be my champion, which means I won't have to fight Sabine myself, but I might still die of embarrassment!

I raise my head and look around to see if anyone has noticed this little--of COURSE they noticed.

I'm doooooooomed.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I smooth my skirts as I move over to join Sabine, still far from pleased with her. I'm not pleased that she seems to think me at her beck and call. What is she up to? This wasn't her running off her mouth and getting into trouble. She had to know where this would lead.

"The sooner begun the better. A matter like this is best resolved quickly. Both matters." Heike's intervention is something I have to look into as well. There's more to that than Sabine's insult, I think. "And I have musketry practice soon; I can't spend all afternoon going over things again with you."

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

There does seem to be rather a lot of students here. Then again, it's the most interesting thing around; of course it's gotten a lot of attention.

Renate is slightly conflicted. On one hand, she wants to see Rosamund fail. On the other hand, she doesn't really mind Heike or Jamie (she does not know either well) and, given the insult in question, that could have been her. Maybe she shouldn't have been so quick to join Sabine's side.

"Ah," she says, a little awkwardly. Well, too late to back out now. It would probably be worse than just bulling through it - and it's not like she's planning to fight for Sabine. Talk to her, sure. "I think that might not be a bad plan."

Renate does not make a bet. She can't really afford it.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I regard Rosamund with a wink and a nod.

"Take it from me: I find that the truth tends to be one that people speak of the most. And the truth is, I would honored to defend your... honor." She makes a very exaggerated bow. "I'm would like to make it tradition for an Edler to ably rely on anyone from the von Metzger."

I smile at Heike and Jamie. To think they'd end up in the same side by happenstance. I think I will enjoy their company. "Shall we coordinate elsewhere?"

Mitama fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 21, 2016

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Jaime gives a small smile. "Happily. Sabine has needed this for some time now, truthfully. She is going more arrogant by the day. Both Rosamund and Heike will have their apologies, and they will be bought by blood. As well they should be. In truth Rosamund, I stood to be your second at first, but when dear Heike issued her own challenge, I could not help myself. You'll forgive me, I hope? Speaking of, Heike, are you coming?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

I moan an assent. "I only hope you're right, because I don't want to think about what the alternative will be," I groan. "How did this even happen? I wonder if Sabine will even notice that I ruined her homework..."

Oops, shouldn't have mentioned that. Nobody's supposed to know about that. Too late now!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Study Session

Theresa, Renate, Sabine and Radmila make their way to the library to study. Well, 'study'. Sabine is all smiles now, cheerful to the last.

"Well, this is going to be fun! Frankly, I didn't think it would become as big as it did..." Now away from the crowd, she's more than happy to take credit for what she did. "But I'm not complaining. I don't know if you ladies have heard...but my brother at court told me a secret. He said the Kaiser has twin bastard sons - here! At the Scholomance! They say he's grooming them to be generals, you know. I don't know about you ladies, but I aim to make sure they find me interesting...or, failing that, powerful. I suggest you lot find your own way to dot hat. Just think - they might even be single!"

She fans herself, laughing. "Ah, what a show we'll need to put on, eh, Theresa? Now...oh, yes, did any of you do the homework for Military History? Wouldn't do to be wrong in a class like that, with my plans..." Her math homework, meanwhile, is unreadable, thanks to Heike, but she seems not to have noticed yet.

Duel Planning

Rosamund is still livid, bright red and shaking when you get back to her room, where she's decided to hold the planning session. "That...that sow...we can't just beat her. We have to destroy her. My family's worked hard for our position, and I can't let an insult liket hat stand..." She turns. "And you, Heike! She was just as nasty to you! Good work on the homework, though. Ooooo, this isj ust..."

She stops.

"No. No, can't just be anger. Got to be a proper Edler. We treat this like a campaign...find her weak points and destroy them. Any ideas, ladies?"

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 19, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Now that we aren't in front of a large audience, I'm not nearly as constrained. "Your plans are going to explode in your face if you don't take Edler seriously," I snap at her.

"Have no doubt, she's already at work. She'll be looking for any weaknesses she can exploit, any strengths she can bring into play. If you take her lightly, you will lose, and lose publicly, a fight you picked for no other reason than to pick a fight."

"You need to win, clearly and cleanly, to gain anything. At least then your skill will be above reproach, even if your judgment isn't."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

I feel my face redden slightly as more attention is paid to my slip earlier of mentioning the homework at all. "Ah, yeah," I manage. "Sabine has it out for me for some reason. Um, and she, uh, she might decide to do something unpleasant to me for, for daring to speak up against her."

I sigh deeply. "I just wish I knew what she had against me. She thinks she's so much better, just cause she can use a sword." I sound sullen even to my own ears. My own abilities with the blade are, as I am sure everyone in the room is aware, effectively nonexistent. Thank God for Jamie! If not for her stepping up I might have to actually use my last resort, the ally that my Papa arranged for me...

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

"First bit of advice, love - keep the anger, just keep in in control. Passion makes us strong. Clear head, strong emotion, that's what Herr de Carrillo taught me. And I agree; a fanciful and polite courtly duel where she loses isn't nearly enough. If she just walks away with a dandy's scar decorating that pretty face and 1 point in her loss record, we haven't gone far enough. It's no longer about merely protecting ourselves; reputations only rise when others' fall. But - and this is important - it must look natural. We still need to look like the good guys. What I propose is simple, at least to start - simple, easy rumor spreading. Every nasty deed she's done is spread by the local gossips. We make her a villain, and ourselves heroes. Throw her off her game. She's likely expecting to walk into the duel with applause and flowers spreading out at her feet. Get people booing at her name, and she'll start making mistakes. And if we can find some REAL dirt on her in the process, well, all the better. Just make sure to keep some of it confined to this circle. Secrets work best as weapons when whispered out loud to a crowd."

Halfway through this miniature speech, Jamie started to gesture grandiosely. You can take the student out of the drama classroom...and then Jamie blinks back to reality.

"Oh, and we pick a good dueling spot. We should probably learn her favored style of fencing. Rosamund, love, what's your preferred choice?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"If it were me, I would prefer someplace well-lit, spacious enough for a large audience, enough decor around to throw it at my opponent."

I shrug. If I were fighting in her place, I would probably do a lot of things different.

"Just my consideration."

Mitama fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 21, 2016

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

I put my hand up hesitantly. "Um," I begin, "I thought that this sort of thing was usually...fast? How long will we actually have before the actual duel? Because this is already really nerve-wracking and if we're going to an all-out war then that might be...bad?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"A day, I suppose. Long enough to build anticipation and gather an audience. Any longer, people will get bored." I realize what Heike means. "Anything we're doing has to lead up to the duel itself. And we don't have a lot of time to do it."

Mitama fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 24, 2016

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

I nod my agreement with Mariele, glad that I hadn't misjudged that this wouldn't be a lengthy campaign. "Which means," I add, "that everyone's going to be looking to see what we do too, because two duels from one insult is definitely an attention-getting thing. Which...which Sabine must know, which means, um, that she's...up to something." I finish lamely. Of course she's up to something, but nobody else is likely to believe it - nobody else knows how nasty she can REALLY be the way I do.

"So we'll have to be careful," I conclude.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

"Twin bastard sons...? Surely we would have noticed by now if - Oh, yes," I say with reflection. "Yes, of course, not all twins are identical."

"If you wish to see my review, my dear Sabine, I will need to know more about these twins," I then say, because really Teresa is saying everything that I could possibly hope to say about a duel.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Renate wasn't expecting quite this ... size of an event either. Nor was she expecting gossip, though there's nothing wrong with gossip; she likes to hear it even if she never seems to do much with it, as she tries to be reasonably polite most of the time.

She really has no aspirations to marry one, though. She doesn't even know them! Sometimes being a peasant leaves you ignorant of some things (like political marriages). But powerful... part of her does want that. That wouldn't be so bad, to be looked up to by the Kaiser's general sons...

Brought back to reality by the question, she jerks upright slightly. "The homework? I worked on it," she hazards, not really caring to have it stolen by someone else (at least her handwriting is distinctive - read: bad - enough that nobody would want to pass it off as their own). She shoots a glance at Teresa, who knows far more about duels than Renate does. Renate's fights, so far, have been more like slightly formalized brawls than anything else. She doesn't get into many.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Study Session

Sabine waves a hand vaguely. "I'm sure she is. But as you say, I just need to win. And I plan to, don't you worry. In front of the school, at that." She grins. "Now, about the twins...well, the way I hear it, they are, as you say, not identical. I heard from my cousin that the Kaiser fell in love twenty years ago with a woman, a mercenary from the mountains. And...well, this was all hushed up, you understand, to avoid scandal, but this was just after the Island Wars, you know? She had impressed him and they had fought alongside each other there or something. Anyway, two years in, she gets pregnant...and they say he gave her a hidden villa in the mountains, to raise the twins she bore."

Sabine laughs. "Romantic, no? Anyway, they were raised in secret in the mountains, so they're rough types, I heard. My cousin saw one of them - a big, big man, muscles like barrels. They say he wrestled bears before he came here, that he's training his body for war. The other's more cerebral, I understand, raised in the libraries and touched by the magic of the far mountains. You know, how they say that the Scholomance's magic school got founded by a mountain witch who was taught by Low Gods? That kind of thing. I hear his hair went white from it. Twin brothers like night and day, no?"

Planning Session

Rosamund calms slowly. "Enough around to put on a show...the stage. If we beat her on the stage, the entire school will know she's lost. Her reputation will be ruined! But like you say, she'll know that..." She looks over at Heike. "What we need to do is make sure that we're...we're in the right, that everyone knows we're defending our honor and that she's just a bully. I'll see about getting the stage. Why don't you ladies spend the day getting our side of the story out? What a...a heinous bitch Sabine is and how we were just...minding our own business. Yes. And..."

She pauses.

"...and I think, focus on how Heike wasn't even talking to her. You're like a little flower, eh, von Niemannsburg? People will want to protect you. It won't make us seem stronger, maybe, but....but the rest of us will handle that. Taking up arms to protect someone is - yes, that's something we can spin to make her look worse, can't we..."

Everyone has a chance for one action against the Doom of the stage, to try and spread a reputation/spin the story as they want. Then we'll move on, I think, to the day of the duel.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"Clearly the first one fits your tastes more," I tell Sabine with excessive sweetness. "The mountain man, born of a woman the king was happy to bed but not to acknowledge."

I finish writing out a note, and pass it to the first person who passes by. It should be enough to get a rumor started. Of Heike and Rosamund working together to damage Sabine, and taking advantage of a statement in the heat of argument to overwhelm her unfairly with challenges. I put in enough details to imply that it's part of a larger House politicking rather than merely a personal matter. It should blunt some of the force of what will otherwise be the tale of a bully getting her comeuppance - but won't totally insulate Sabine from the consequences of her foolishness. And, with the cast I've put on the situation, suggest I stepped in to prevent any political damage from spreading. With the existing fissures between new and old blood, it should muddy the waters. At a minimum I do not intend to be seen as merely supporting a cad.

Before she can respond to that, I move to my bigger question. "Why did Heike step up to challenge you? I didn't think she had it in her. Is there more going on between you two?"

I'm not sure I have the dice mechanic right. I have 8 Charisma so I roll a d8, but the Doom seems really high at 6, so I'm not sure I've got this down properly.
Charisma: 1d8 3

Totally didn't understand what I was doing. Used Inspiration of gaining power and influence for my house (if Teresa can't look like she's on the side of the good guys, she can at least look like she's a ruthless player of realpolitik; best to be feared and loved, but if you must choose one...). Charisma 8, Heart 8, rolled a 3 and an 8, so my best is 8.
Chromebash: 11 = 2d10(3,8)

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 9, 2016

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

A flower. Yes, i can be a flower--the prettiest flower! It's been my dream forever, and now that I'm here and allowed to dress and act like a girl instead of following Papa's silly rule that I have to pretend not to be one, I can do this for sure.
"Right," I say firmly, "a flower it is. I'll get on that immediately!"

I head for my room and dress in my prettiest dress, comb my hair (I wish it was longer, but I'm still growing it out more!) and apply just a touch of cosmetics to accentuate my natural prettiness. Then, I go out to somewhere public, where there will be a lot of people passing by, and (oh this is going to be exciting, especially if a cute boy sees me and talks to me) start doing my best to look tragic and miserable and helpless about the whole situation. Which, to be fair, accurately sums up how I actually feel, I just have to play it up a little bit...

Mors talked me through rolling using my Be The Prettiest Girl inspiration on this roll (+3) which helps a lot.
[12:43] <MorsRattus> then if you write up a little description of how wanting to be The Prettiest helps you here
[12:44] <MorsRattus> then they both auto-explode, your value is 6 and roll 2d8
[12:44] <MollyMetroid> .roll 2d8
[12:44] <skybot> MollyMetroid: 13 (2d8=7, 6)
[12:44] <MorsRattus> so your value is 7

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

There were benefits to being a drama student.

Rosamund wasn't the only one at the scholomance that Jamie was "close" too, and on top of that she had more then enough friends, acquaintances, and contacts to spread her story - and oh, what a story it was! The flower of innocence shattered! Petty noble cruelty at the hands of an uncaring bully! Beleaguered heroes driven to save others - not just because it's right, but because, dammit all, someone must stand up! Sabine is painted as the cruel, vindictive, and above all careless bitch, sneering down at those with even the smallest distance in titles; the sort that proudly pronounces all her names, yes ALL of them, every chance given, who torments others with petty mind games and barbed insults. Heike is, naturally, painted as the very soul of the scholomance, the achingly pure heart just trying to make her family proud, assaulted from all sides by a jealous Sabine, enraged by her simple loveliness. Rosamund is given top billing in the story, advancing forward to protect Heike just as the proud students of Brockenburg are called on to protect their homes and loved ones, challenging evil almost as if a knight errant atop dashing steed (Jaime is more then happy to play the role of her sidekick and counterpart; a true storyteller doesn't seek the limelight on their own).

By the time the story has begun spreading, whispers are accompanying it. It's barely being changed in the mass transit of mouth to mouth rumor; what juicy details could you even add and stay believable? Jaime is satisfied; when the duel is to begin, the seats will be packed, and everyone will wear their hearts on their sleeve. The stage, at this point, may as well be covered in rose petals when they arrive.

Spread a story of tragedy and potential heroism (Inspiration Spent): 1d10 10 1d8 8 8 8
Spread a story of tragedy and potential heroism (Inspiration Spent): 1d12 2 1d10 7
That leaves that exploded 10 as my highest - still a very high number! One hell of a story!

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"A heinous bitch? I wouldn't go that far, but..."

I step out of the room, my thoughts my own.

"But she's certainly the instigator of all this. And if von Steiner is siding with her, there's no doubt she's at the wrong side of things. Hmm. I have a few friends, very talkative friends. I'll go have a drink with them, I think."

And I do just that. I make sure that my own story gets heard. And makes it very clear that I, Mariele von Metzger, has put myself on the line by standing up against Sabine, the brute who would bully Rosamund and especially Heike, who has done nothing wrong.

It probably doesn't do anything that Jamie isn't already doing. But I should definitely look good after this.

Rolling Charisma (7) + Courted and caroused with Herr Ritter's son and daughter at the same day (4).
Charisma: 9:45 AM <•Morphball> Trix: 1 = 1d6(1)
History: 9:45 AM <•Morphball> Trix: 3 = 1d4(3)

I'm going to use my inspiration, Intimate rivalry with Teresa (2) to add a Heart die and stunt my Charisma + Heart rolls to max and explode. (So now I have 6 and 8.)
Charisma: 10:00 AM <•Morphball> Trix: 8 = 1d8(8) 10:00 AM <•Morphball> Trix: 6 = 1d10(6)
Heart: 10:02 AM <•Morphball> Trix: 10 = 1d10(10) 10:02 AM <•Morphball> Trix: 6 = 1d12(6)

I'll take the 10.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Renate listens to the story, because she hasn't been part of court long enough to get court rumours (not that she's really part of court now, but it's closer). She seems serious, but then again she often does, even when she's gossiping.

"Really? The mountains?" She grew up in the wilderness, or near it; she's surprised to hear that the Kaiser's children, even bastard children, share that much with her. "He must love them, to send them here afterwards instead of just leaving them there."

Between the study session and the duel, Renate doesn't spread new rumours of her own. Instead, she works against Rosamund's 'stage-setting'; while Sabine might be a bully, Rosamund is too and she's not going to let her act as if she isn't. Even if she might not have been just this time. She doesn't try to make Heike look bad, only Rosamund, and she doesn't really make anything up... she just wants people to remember what kind of a person Rosamund is, really, and not be fooled by the fanciful stories going around.

(I am not sure what I roll. I am trying to use my Rivalry with Rosamund as an inspiration, though.)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Rather than editing, I posted again: 7 Heart and 5 Charisma, and I'm channeling a 2+ inspiration. I roll on Orokos (my name is Almacia there if people want to check my rolls for whatever reason).

2016-06-29 16:38:28 Renate Spellbound Kingdoms Rivalry with Rosamund (Heart Explosion) 1d10 8
2016-06-29 16:37:05 Renate Spellbound Kingdoms Rivalry with Rosamund (Heart) 1d8 8
2016-06-29 16:36:41 Renate Spellbound Kingdoms Rivalry with Rosamund (Charisma) 1d6 5

I'll take the 8.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

A clear narrative begins to emerge as the day of the duel begins to dawn. Teresa and Sabine are the clear aggressors within it - but Teresa in a way that is somewhat admired.

Teresa's Reputation 'Scion of an ancient but fading noble house' rises to 9.

More than anyone, Heike is portrayed as the victim here, caught in an argument that she had no part in. The entire school is becoming aware of that.

Heike gains a Reputation of 'Damsel in distress' at 7.

Jamie's rumormongering and storytelling pushes that reputation even further. Heike's distress becomes legend. Rosamund, on the other hand...well, that runs into conflict with Renate's version of things. Some people go one way on it, some another.

Heike's reputation hops up to 8. Rosamund gains two Reputations at 7 - 'Knightly defender' and 'Arrogant bully'.

Mariele, meanwhile, supplies her own glory quite well, managing to avoid the tarring of Rosamund that comes from Renate's work.

Mariele gets 'Knightly defender' at 7.

Kriegsmann Theatre
Doom 7

A crowd has already begun to gather in the theatre to watch the duel. By tradition, both sides will have the chance to state their grievances before the fight is begun proper. While the number of seconds and supporters is, perhaps, irregular, each does have a chance to speak. The crowd is anxious to listen - the theatrics are part of the fun, after all. A few teachers have even chosen to attend, though none of high rank among the faculty. Minor adjuncts, for the most part.

For those making speeches: make speeches. No roll. For those who choose not to, give me a Quickness roll. Skills related to perceptiveness or quick thinking apply.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

I have no intention of making a speech here, since everyone already knows my position is one of having been dragged in against my will. I'm just not interested in becoming a spectacle for everyone to point at and laugh if I lose, and besides, I'd get nervous and squeak or something. Mostly I'm just here because I have to be--and in case someone gets injured so I can help out. But I'm more focused on my own woes right this minute.

What if Sabine decides to reveal the truth? Even if she loses the duel, she could do that--and if she wins, she wouldn't even be argued with, probably. Ohhhhh, I hate this!

[13:22] <MollyMetroid> .roll 2d4
[13:22] <skybot> MollyMetroid: 5 (2d4=1, 4)
[13:22] <MollyMetroid> the one 4 explodes right
[13:22] <MorsRattus> yes
[13:23] <skybot> MollyMetroid: 1 (d6=1)
So it's a 4

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Renate doesn't make a speech. She doesn't like public speaking much; it makes her awkward and she's always afraid she's going to embarass herself in front of the nobility. But she does come to the duel, to watch... and not on Rosamund's side. She wants to listen, too, even if she's not giving a speech herself!

She kind of feels bad for Heike, though, who's clearly just been pulled into this without wanting to be. She looks faintly apologetic in her direction. Apparently her reputation really has got around.

My Quickness is 6 and I don't have any relevant skills, so:

http://orokos.com/roll/415222

It's a 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

The day of the duel I raid my wardrobe for just the right outfit. After much consideration, I settle on a dueling dress and leggings. Traditional almost to the point of being old fashioned - but in this case, it's exactly the figure I want to cut.

This is my last chance to bend the narrative to my advantage. This is the last time I intend to be caught out by Sabine's stupidity. But I have to make it into something other than stupidity to benefit. I know there are more than a few who resent the presence of the New Blood. So I'll frame it in a way they can agree with. At the same time, the school needs to accept the best. A fine line to walk, and so I spent more than a little time choosing my words.

I step forward and curtsy, looking over the students and any faculty that chose to attend. "Ladies and gentlemen, by now you have surely heard of what lead us here today. We are here to resolve a dispute, yes, but not merely over an insult."

"Our Scholomance is an old place. It is where the best of our Kingdom strive alongside and against one another. And thus do the best rise to the top, and thus do they become true to our ways. It is not merely the sword, the pen, the scale, or the baton that is taught here. It is nobility. No one can come here simply to take away our knowledge."

"Perhaps this was expressed... inelegantly. But it remains: none here can have it both ways. If you wish to learn the arts of the nobility, you must embrace the traditions of nobility as well."

I curtsy again, returning to my position on Sabine's side of the dueling grounds. Not everyone will accept my framing, of course. But they'll at least accept that I see it this way. That way, next time Sabine sneers at someone, I can take the opposing side without seeming two-faced. After all, not helping the New Blood who want to become proper nobles would also cut against my stance.

• Locked thread