Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Megasabin posted:

From the PC Gamer article:

"Relic RTS games tend to have complex terrain with lots of medium and strong cover zones. The system has been simplified in Dawn of War 3 to allow for clearer counter-play. Cover in the demo I saw consisted of circular barricade structures that units can capture. Units in cover are resistant to ranged fire, but can be quickly eliminated by close-combat squads. The change makes Dawn of War 3's big, chaotic battlefields easier to parse, and gives melee units an important role as siege-breakers. "

I'll translate for you for free:
"We think gamers were too stupid to understand high vs low cover built into the environment in an organic way, so we changed to to a giant flashing cover objects to make it easier!". "Also CoH was a fluke success, and we have no understanding of what made our games good, fun, interesting, and unique".

Double post but I don't care. Put this this in the OP and close the thread. DOA.

Edit: I am not saying this game won't sell. It will sell well on the 40k IP, Dawn of War branding and the Relic tag. It will be so mediocre though, because they will play it safe, and further drive a nail into the genres coffin.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I'm not going to buy this game

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I'll deal with the toy look. They've always been like that, but I do wonder what it'd look like through the Christopher Nolan filter.

Probably a little something like this.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Think what Relic can do with DLC paints.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Whatever garbage this game turns out to be, I just hope that the voice acting will be up to par with Relic's previous titles and useful for an SRM cartoon or two.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Megasabin posted:

"Relic RTS games tend to have complex terrain with lots of medium and strong cover zones. The system has been simplified in Dawn of War 3 to allow for clearer counter-play. Cover in the demo I saw consisted of circular barricade structures that units can capture. Units in cover are resistant to ranged fire, but can be quickly eliminated by close-combat squads. The change makes Dawn of War 3's big, chaotic battlefields easier to parse, and gives melee units an important role as siege-breakers. "

"We think gamers were too stupid to understand high vs low cover built into the environment in an organic way, so we changed to to a giant flashing cover objects to make it easier!". "Also CoH was a fluke success, and we have no understanding of what made our games good, fun, interesting, and unique".

Steam blurb posted:

A NEW DAWN ONLINE
Your army will wreak havoc in online co-operative mode. Join the multiplayer community and forge new alliances - then turn the tables on your new 'friends' as they become foes in explosive, chaotic and competitive maps.

I think the thing that'll make or break this game will be the multiplayer campaign, whatever it is. The gameplay can be bad, but if there's some sort of persistant meta game on top of it that gets people really worked up about others loving them over, it could be magnificent.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 4, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lot of salty bitches in this thread. Sorry company of heroes 2 burnt your house down

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Kanos posted:

It's more that if we're using DoW1 multiplayer as a reference, winning in DoW1 was largely a matter of effectively rushing your opponent's production down by hitting certain unit types in your build order before the enemy could react appropriately. Rolling into the enemy base and torching their barracks with an early vehicle rush or stomping all of their resource points and choking them out with an early Khorne Berserker push was how the vast majority of games were won, with games devolving into slugfests only if an initial rush failed. At this point you generally settled into building a gigantic monotonous blob of whatever your highest tier spammable units were with some vehicle support and trying to outblob your opponent. Individual unit losses don't really matter here and positioning outside of using the cover system is pretty whatever because you can spam reinforce in the field.

DoW2's multiplayer mechanics almost expressly forbid rushing an opponent out of the game because the base structure is incredibly difficult to kill and protected by extremely annoying turrets. Instead, DoW2 is centered entirely around map control and chipping away at the enemy's forces; in effect, the enemy's army became the target objective. Brand new units in DoW2 multiplayer are expensive and take a fair amount of time to produce, but upgrading and replacing lost troops in an existing unit takes significantly less resources and time, with the caveat that you can't replace lost units in the field without specific abilities/vehicles so you need to maintain contact with HQ. This means that every single unit you produce is really important and achieving full unit wipes before an enemy can disengage matters a great deal, so how you position and approach combat matters a lot outside of merely using the cover system. Achieving a flank on the enemy so they don't have a clear retreat path for battered units is enormously dangerous for them in DoW2.

Basically, DoW1 multiplayer is a game all about crippling the enemy's ability to produce hard counters to whatever unit you happen to be producing at a given point, while DoW2 multiplayer is a game all about how to outmaneuver and inflict decisive damage against the enemy's army.

Neatly encapsulates why I just couldn't go back to playing DoW1 after playing DoW2.

DoW1 felt like a throwback to the 90s, while DoW2 had actual tactical depth.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 4, 2016

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Donnerberg posted:

I think the thing that'll make or break this game will be the multiplayer campaign, whatever it is. The gameplay can be bad, but if there's some sort of persistant meta game on top of it that gets people really worked up about others loving them over, it could be magnificent.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Arcsquad12 posted:

Lot of salty bitches in this thread. Sorry company of heroes 2 burnt your house down

I've only ever played online team games, but CoH2 is still fun, it's just not appreciably different than the first game and the commander poo poo is obnoxious as hell. Fact is, it's pretty much the only RTS with a longterm, active multiplayer that's not StarCraft and I'll take it over Blizzard's thing any day.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ChickenHeart posted:

Whatever garbage this game turns out to be, I just hope that the voice acting will be up to par with Relic's previous titles and useful for an SRM cartoon or two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNK5-uE5JFg

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Phrosphor posted:

Double post but I don't care. Put this this in the OP and close the thread. DOA.

Edit: I am not saying this game won't sell. It will sell well on the 40k IP, Dawn of War branding and the Relic tag. It will be so mediocre though, because they will play it safe, and further drive a nail into the genres coffin.
Yes, changing the art style, campaign structure, and fundamental mechanics about a popular series is playing it safe. Mm-hm. Big thumbs up from this guy.

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006
inspired by 40k epic?

more like inspired by 40k epic -fail-

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Where is this extended preview talking about all of the game mechanics in fine detail that you dudes apparently seem to have

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
What are you guys talking about with the art style? Those screenshots look pretty much like DoW2 to me.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

Where is this extended preview talking about all of the game mechanics in fine detail that you dudes apparently seem to have
PCG thing at the start.

It's actually not that revealing, but apparently:

- The campaign is told from the perspectives of the Space Marines, Orks and Eldar (unclear if it's like Starcraft or more like Total Annihilation: Kingdoms, where you bounce between them)
- The cover system is different
- You customise your army with 3 special units from some kind of pool at the start of an MP game (like DoW2 but more than THRICE the decisions!), and then build basic units on top of that from base structures.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Wait you need to CAPTURE cover? Like your little dudes will look at that barricade and refuse to bunker down behind it until the whip out their paint cans and color it the right army color?

I can't decide if that's incredibly stupid or really in character for 40k.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

I can't decide if that's incredibly stupid or really in character for 40k.

It's both.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

jBrereton posted:

Yes, changing the art style, campaign structure, and fundamental mechanics about a popular series is playing it safe. Mm-hm. Big thumbs up from this guy.

Making the color palette more vibrant to try and hide the fact that you are using lesser detailed model (they literally say this in the article), and dumbing down the cover system. Bold innovative changes here.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Hard to judge the cover system until the full scale of the game is seen. At worst it's dumbing down for dumbing down's sake, but it could make sense given the increased number of units a player will be expected to control.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if you want a cool rts with cover and zero base building look into digitalmindsoft games. they go on sale often and they're really good

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Megasabin posted:

Making the color palette more vibrant to try and hide the fact that you are using lesser detailed model (they literally say this in the article), and dumbing down the cover system. Bold innovative changes here.

To be fair here one of the big innovative things DoWII did was to dumb down bases to near non existence. That and if they're going back to old school walls of dudes, managing 50 guys into cover sounds less fun and more pulling my hair out.

Although that does lead to a fun thought, it's probably not what they're doing, but wouldn't it be cool if your guys were still organized by squad and the way they got the really big armies thing was to make squads huge?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tirranek posted:

Hard to judge the cover system until the full scale of the game is seen. At worst it's dumbing down for dumbing down's sake, but it could make sense given the increased number of units a player will be expected to control.

Actually, game mechanics shouldn't be tailored to the game they are actually in, they should be exactly the same as previous games in the series despite any differences in how those games actually play.

Also, art style is less important than being able to count the teeth on the skull codpiece this marine is wearing

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Total war warhammer is gonna make this look so stupid in comparison. Just give Sega and creative all the $$$ and rights to make a 40k strategy game.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Davincie posted:

what looks like a little child's toys

Its a warhammer game isn't it?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Megasabin posted:

Unironically yes.

The unimaginative thing would be to make it increasingly intricate and amp up the poly counts while also stacking more unit models into the game.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I am super loving happy we're going back to DoW 1 in terms of gameplay, that game was awesome, me and everyone else who played it loved it to death, DoW 2 completely disappointed, not because it's a bad game by any means it just wasnt what we wanted.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Megasabin posted:

Oh barf, I hope this is just the article writer reading too much into the ultra-alpha he saw.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Said no one ever. Dow1 was generic rts with a sheen of 40k slapped over it.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Dow II was a fuckin snore fest and retribution was its one saving grace by allowing you to control an actual sizable amount of units.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Man Whore posted:

Dow II was a fuckin snore fest

:yeah:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Tbh I like anything that let's me have some customization to my units.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Blacktoll posted:

Tbh I like anything that let's me have some customization to my units.

First post of yours in this thread I agree with. I used the army painter in retribution that made my space marines look like lethal cans of diet coke and I was really bummed I couldn't use it in the single player because all the MP but last stand was dead by the time I got it.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Man Whore posted:

Dow II was a fuckin snore fest and retribution was its one saving grace by allowing you to control an actual sizable amount of units.

I enjoyed the unit customization/war spoils.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think the visuals look fine? I mean, yes, they're still in the early stages, but the models themselves look good, and Relic has always done great unit animations. After seeing how good the painterly style of units in hte Total Warhammer gameplay trailers looked, I am fine with Relic adopting the style for Dawn of War 3. More silly, less usesless grimdark.

The problem here is that the trailer exists, and in the space of a hundred and eighty seconds managed to establish an aesthetic and tone that:

a) is rad as gently caress
b) perfectly encapsulates the setting the series wants to bring to life
c) is completely incompatible with the screenshots we've got

The, uh, "toyetic" look isn't bad, necessarily, but it's hard to get excited for these Eldar:

when you've been primed for these:

The game's only just been announced and it's been reduced to a cheap knock-off of its own trailer. :laugh:

I really want to know who directed that, actually. Not something I thought I'd ever be saying about a game trailer.

Phrosphor posted:

Ashes of the singularity and grey goo are two examples of big "blockbuster" RTS games that followed a pretty traditional format and didn't really light the world on fire. So there is a precedent not to do the big blobs and base building thing again, but that won't stop them trying.

I spent a while with Ashes when it came out and it was alright. Not great. But fun enough for a couple of days.

The big problem, I think, is that it just feels so flat. Not just in the sense that terrain is basically meaningless- there is that, but it's not like the genre was ever really great for it- but also in terms of unit diversity. The palette is so limited and the roles so narrowly defined- so polished- that there doesn't seem to be much scope to experiment with unit comps. You end up rolling the exact same armies into the exact same tactical situations over and over again.

Or maybe I'm just poo poo at the game :shrug:

But that's just Ashes. I think the genre is dying (dead?) for the simple reason that, well, something like 80% of RTS players wanted campaigns and nothing but, and RTS devs kept serving up finely-honed, hyper-competitive, high-skill MP-focused games with bolted on single player modes that just didn't cut the mustard. Starcraft's massive success as an esport was great for Starcraft, but it hung a giant gently caress-off "not for casuals" sign on the whole genre.

Kanos posted:

It's more that if we're using DoW1 multiplayer as a reference, winning in DoW1 was largely a matter of effectively rushing your opponent's production down by hitting certain unit types in your build order before the enemy could react appropriately. Rolling into the enemy base and torching their barracks with an early vehicle rush or stomping all of their resource points and choking them out with an early Khorne Berserker push was how the vast majority of games were won, with games devolving into slugfests only if an initial rush failed. At this point you generally settled into building a gigantic monotonous blob of whatever your highest tier spammable units were with some vehicle support and trying to outblob your opponent. Individual unit losses don't really matter here and positioning outside of using the cover system is pretty whatever because you can spam reinforce in the field.

DoW2's multiplayer mechanics almost expressly forbid rushing an opponent out of the game because the base structure is incredibly difficult to kill and protected by extremely annoying turrets. Instead, DoW2 is centered entirely around map control and chipping away at the enemy's forces; in effect, the enemy's army became the target objective. Brand new units in DoW2 multiplayer are expensive and take a fair amount of time to produce, but upgrading and replacing lost troops in an existing unit takes significantly less resources and time, with the caveat that you can't replace lost units in the field without specific abilities/vehicles so you need to maintain contact with HQ. This means that every single unit you produce is really important and achieving full unit wipes before an enemy can disengage matters a great deal, so how you position and approach combat matters a lot outside of merely using the cover system. Achieving a flank on the enemy so they don't have a clear retreat path for battered units is enormously dangerous for them in DoW2.

Basically, DoW1 multiplayer is a game all about crippling the enemy's ability to produce hard counters to whatever unit you happen to be producing at a given point, while DoW2 multiplayer is a game all about how to outmaneuver and inflict decisive damage against the enemy's army.

This sounds cool and has convinced me to finally check out DoWII.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Megasabin posted:

None of the design leads for company of heroes or dawn of war 1 or 2 are still at the company, It's mostly a new crew. This game is probably Quinn Duffy's joint, who was a secondary designer for CoH and was the game director for CoH2.

Weirdly enough most of the relic leads that made the games people love ended up at blizzard.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 4, 2016

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Autonomous Monster posted:

This sounds cool and has convinced me to finally check out DoWII.

Dawn Goons is still dead I think but people still play custom games at all hours of the day. If you want a crew hit me up and I'll play with you.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
They should just make a new Chaos Gate already

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

It's worth noting that Ashes had something like an eighth the budget of SupCom. Sadly, it shows, and there just isn't a ton of game there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I think a lot of the DoW1 vs DoW2 people are talking past each other. DoW1 singleplayer and multiplayer gameplay were effectively the same thing; build bases, poo poo out dudes, fight. DoW2 singleplayer and multiplayer were effectively two entirely different games; the singleplayer was the RTS/RPG hybrid with only a couple of hero units and leveling and loot drops, while the multiplayer was a micro-heavy macro-light tactical RTS. Because of this, I'm never sure when somebody who says "Man DoW2 sucked I love DoW1" is talking about the singleplayer campaigns or the multiplayer.

• Locked thread