Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

FooF posted:

I own Soulstorm but haven't played it in ages. I still go back to Dark Crusade if I want to play DoW1. Soulstorm doesn't exist (I don't like the Sisters or Dark Eldar in the first place...)

To be fair, the modding scene fixed a lot of the issues Soulstorm has. So if you ever get a hankering for DoW1 goodness and just want to throw a bunch of crazy mods in a pot and have giant fuckin battles, Soulstorm's actually the best platform to do it with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
It's tempting, though I miss the old faction mods under Dark Crusade, especially Demon Hunters or even the fan-made Sisters (though "Gentlemen, behold: the Immolator!" will forever hold a places in my heart)

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Dark Crusade is great because if I want to comp stomp, I can go Tau, ignore all Tau units and build a full Kroot army.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I couldn't play Dark Crusade again but I do listen to the banter between leaders and the FANTASTIC intros when you go against a base. Like God drat those are spot on, it's incredible how bland Soulstorm is in comparison.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

You're calling the Soulstorm stronghold intros bland?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Allowing for multiple, simultaneous, and devastating defensive deep-strikes!

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNK5-uE5JFg

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
I checked out this thread to see if the new game is any good, and it sounds like it’s not something I’m interested in. I loved DoW II campaign and wargear stuff and also loved last stand.

I haven’t been able to find a good answer from a google search, but have there been any good games with last stand style gameplay? It seems like a vastly underserved niche. Maybe I am just ignorant of a complete genre, I don’t know.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

THE BAR posted:

You're calling the Soulstorm stronghold intros bland?

Compared to the Dark Crusades ones????? OFC.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Alamoduh posted:

I haven’t been able to find a good answer from a google search, but have there been any good games with last stand style gameplay? It seems like a vastly underserved niche. Maybe I am just ignorant of a complete genre, I don’t know.
Last Stand's kind of a simplified, ARPG horde mode so going by that logic, maybe Grim Dawn's Crucible DLC? I don't know for sure, but i could see other games in that genre like Diablo 3 or Path of Exile also having similar modes.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If you're looking for specifically top-down ones like DoW2 then unfortunately I'm no help but if you want to branch out then horde-modes are pretty common in shooters. Off the top of my head you've got:

The Division is getting a new Horde mode in a patch soon and is the closest to being an ARPG, with skills and builds.
Gears of War 4's horde mode (the original horde mode) has wave-based gameplay where you product a central hub and in between waves you use the points you earn to unlock weapons and defenses (turrets etc) for the next waves.
Titanfall 2 has Frontier Defense mode which is similar but with a crazy movement system and giant robots.
Helldivers isn't explicitly a horde game but it is a top-down shooter, and you get dropped into levels with extremely limited equipment to complete random objectives amid infinitely-respawning enemies.

All four of those have leveling, customisation and unlockables.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I bought this when it came out and didn't enjoy it much but I just tried again and ehhhhh. I think I'd just like to play a new DOW2 style game that's the same kind of a commandos style rts experience. I enjoyed knowing the sargeants and the way the game played moving your tier one operators and using their skills. New tech so the map is more interesting and stuff in a DOW2.1 game would be my jam.

If the scale of this was larger or it felt more weighty I might like it, but as it stands it feels really mechanically dates with base building and poo poo so I just can't enjoy the game which sucks because I spent so long waiting for it.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
If I can't have a Force Commander climb up a Bloodthirster and beat it's rear end into the dirt with a hammer longer than he is tall, then what the hell is the point?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lprsti99 posted:

If I can't have a Force Commander climb up a Bloodthirster and beat it's rear end into the dirt with a hammer longer than he is tall, then what the hell is the point?

That was one of the best sync kills. I miss those. At least Total Warhammer 1 and 2 have pretty good ones.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Mordja posted:

Last Stand's kind of a simplified, ARPG horde mode so going by that logic, maybe Grim Dawn's Crucible DLC? I don't know for sure, but i could see other games in that genre like Diablo 3 or Path of Exile also having similar modes.
PoE doesn't have a horde mode outside of one particular unique map, I'm afraid, and even that one map is super bare-bones.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Did they add any other races yet?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Deakul posted:

Did they add any other races yet?

If they get to it that'll probably be pay for DLC.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Do goons still play DoW2 MP? I'd like to play it but theres not a ton of people online and theyre all way better than me

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Elite mod has a good community

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

StashAugustine posted:

I'd like to play it but theres not a ton of people online and theyre all way better than me

the fate of all RTSes

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Elite mod has a good community

is that worth getting? a brief look at it makes me wary of adding what seem like superfluous units, plus grey knights are kinda lame

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think anyone who still plays DOW2 plays the Elite mod but yeah, they've been at it for ages and are real good. Tried going back to it early in the year and it was pretty disheartening. If you're serioust though, you might want to check out this guy's casts and try to learn some Sick Strats. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?DoWReplaysNet?videos

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

StashAugustine posted:

is that worth getting? a brief look at it makes me wary of adding what seem like superfluous units, plus grey knights are kinda lame

It's sort of a competitive balance mod thing, which as those things usually do, kind of runs over a lot of the fun 40k flavor, adds poo poo that wasn't needed and changes things that didn't need changing (like swapping Imperial Guard portraits for much worse ones for no reason for example). But it's still better for skirmish play than vanilla Retribution, because vanilla Retribution was a real mess.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Being Bad At Games, what's the problem with vanilla Retribution?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
In terms of skirmish, it has extreme balance issues (the chaos bloodthirster mount robot thing for example, or imperial guard having no anti-setup team units whatsoever until vehicles) and general polish issues (the Chaos Dreadnought has guns that are missing multiple layers of effects for example). The unit indicators are also more wonky than in Elite - they don't always correctly show what the unit actually does.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

To be fair, the modding scene fixed a lot of the issues Soulstorm has. So if you ever get a hankering for DoW1 goodness and just want to throw a bunch of crazy mods in a pot and have giant fuckin battles, Soulstorm's actually the best platform to do it with.

Also on this note, what mods are there that mess with DOW1 balance? Also are any of the Tyranid mods good?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

StashAugustine posted:

Also on this note, what mods are there that mess with DOW1 balance? Also are any of the Tyranid mods good?

Messing with balance, specifically? Firestorm over Kaurava, assuming it ever got finished. Usually if I bother with Soulstorm I just install ultimate apocalypse and go ham. As far as I know there's only one Nid mod for DOW1, and the version built into UA is more complete than the standalone version. It's alright, models obviously aren't the best and the animations are a bit too robotic, but in terms of gameplay it got the "horde of chittering death" part down way better than the Relic official nids in 2 did, I feel.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
In case it wasn't clear before, the game's officially dead.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-02-08-relic-leaves-dawn-of-war-3-behind-as-it-moves-on-to-new-projects

God loving drat you, Relic. How did you gently caress it up this badly?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wow, not even an expansion pack.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I wish I could say I was surprised, but I'm not. They actively avoided anything that might attract casual buyers to the game by totally shunning the dramatically more developed singleplayer experiences of Dark Crusade or the DoW2 entries, they deliberately ignored the wild success of The Last Stand by completely failing to put anything like it in the game despite the fact that the no-effort version of it for DoW2 sold its own loving DLC like hotcakes, and the multiplayer design was seemingly created to drive off casual players by being a messy micromanagement hell while also having no real depth for serious competitive players either.

I don't understand most of the decisions that were made in crafting this whole product. They seemed to simply ignore anything the previous (wildly successful) titles had to teach.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I played both Dawn of War games and MOBAs and enjoyed them both and this game looked like horrible poo poo from both angles.

I think we all saw this coming, given that even before the release the entire thread was essentially posts of "Wow, this game looks horrible and unfun.", and then nothing ever really changed that. Sad to see there won't be a Last Stand mode though. You would think if they were truly selling it as a "MOBA hybrid" that would be a slam dunk. Hell, aren't the MOBA elements mostly just that the maps have lanes instead of proper cover? It certainly didn't look like it played like a proper MOBA.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
It isn't a Moba. Anyone saying it is either hasn't played DoW3 or hasn't played a Moba before. Unless you consider vanilla Warcraft 3 multiplayer a Moba there is no way you can classify DoW3 as one. The only thing it had in common with a Moba is hero units... But also had you controlling armies.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
It rules that this game died because a bunch of idiots on message boards thought it was something it wasn’t. If it had a moderately successful launch I think they could have improved it but as is it’s just mediocre. All of the wrong lessons will be learned.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Comrayn posted:

It rules that this game died because a bunch of idiots on message boards thought it was something it wasn’t. If it had a moderately successful launch I think they could have improved it but as is it’s just mediocre. All of the wrong lessons will be learned.

Even if no one ever made any MOBA comparisons the game would have failed. I love(d) Relic, I love 40k, I love DoW1 and 2. I was pissing myself with joy when DoW3 was announced and yet by time it actually came out I had no interest left. The more I saw the less excited I was. If they managed to lose what should have been an easy, guaranteed sale like that then the game never had a chance.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

maybe next time don't make a MOBA Relic :lol:

oh yeah also next time do a loving decent single player campaign

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Senjuro posted:

Even if no one ever made any MOBA comparisons the game would have failed. I love(d) Relic, I love 40k, I love DoW1 and 2. I was pissing myself with joy when DoW3 was announced and yet by time it actually came out I had no interest left. The more I saw the less excited I was. If they managed to lose what should have been an easy, guaranteed sale like that then the game never had a chance.

Yeah, this is basically the boat I was in, except I'd have also been fine if they made an actual MOBA (if it wasn't called Dawn of War). But it was just a mishmash of a bunch of random poo poo that had nothing to do with Dawn of War and that didn't go together so it failed.

The lesson they need to learn is "make an actual good game, not just steal a bunch of poo poo from genres you think are popular and hope it works because magic".

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Honestly I don't think that DoW3 was any worse on launch than DoW1 and DoW2 were. People were expecting DoW1 + all expos or DoW2 + all expos(and many people wanted one of those and not the other, which ironically meant that what they released ended up pissing off both parties). Both previous games were released with very limited factions and unit pools and rather rough, but all people think about is what the games had after years of expansions. Its similar to a new Civilization game coming out and people complaining that not all the features of 5 years of DLC and expansions are included.

Zaodai posted:

Yeah, this is basically the boat I was in, except I'd have also been fine if they made an actual MOBA (if it wasn't called Dawn of War). But it was just a mishmash of a bunch of random poo poo that had nothing to do with Dawn of War and that didn't go together so it failed.

The lesson they need to learn is "make an actual good game, not just steal a bunch of poo poo from genres you think are popular and hope it works because magic".

I'm curious what you mean by "a bunch of random poo poo that had nothing to do with Dawn of War". Frankly the game was rather similar to DoW1, just the hero units were built out to more like commander-type units from DoW2 with lots of abilities.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A Warhammer moba should have every faction on the map at once in a massive free for all. None of the boring two sides only crap.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Honestly I don't think that DoW3 was any worse on launch than DoW1 and DoW2 were. People were expecting DoW1 + all expos or DoW2 + all expos(and many people wanted one of those and not the other, which ironically meant that what they released ended up pissing off both parties). Both previous games were released with very limited factions and unit pools and rather rough, but all people think about is what the games had after years of expansions. Its similar to a new Civilization game coming out and people complaining that not all the features of 5 years of DLC and expansions are included.
Not really. If you'd read the Civ6 thread you'd know it has nothing to do with not having all dlc and expansion features and everything to do with terrible game design and shoddy amateur work. Having more civilizations in the game won't change how bad the AI is or poor and boring mechanics. But I haven't played DoW3 so I'm not sure how the analogy works here.

Poil fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 8, 2018

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Khisanth Magus posted:

I'm curious what you mean by "a bunch of random poo poo that had nothing to do with Dawn of War". Frankly the game was rather similar to DoW1, just the hero units were built out to more like commander-type units from DoW2 with lots of abilities.

It's still odd to retread the same steps every iteration, and a bit insulting, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

THE BAR posted:

It's still odd to retread the same steps every iteration, and a bit insulting, really.

Welcome to video game development?

• Locked thread