Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
They brought down the color saturation a lot since the game was first revealed so units don't look like plastic anymore so that's nice. It does look like a step back from DoW2 overall without the robust cover system and destructible environments but I suppose there are worse things than a DoW1 remake. I'm just happy that Relic is making 40k games again so it's hard to complain too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW3zxFBh30A

Ork gameplay footage featuring some horrible initial voice acting from Ronahn and Gorgutz. Looks really boring and for some reason the sound design for the levels shown so far has been subpar and really quiet.

I really want to just be happy that we're getting a new Dawn of War after all these years but this footage is really making it difficult. Where's the strategy? Where are the tactics? You just build a horde and attack-move it. Such a huge step backwards from DoW2 :(

hemale in pain posted:

I dunno how they've managed to make the game look so bad. Is it the same guys or is relic completely dead?

I imagine they've lost quite a few people in all the turmoil the company went through in the last few years.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

KingEup posted:

Can someone explain where the strategy is in this game?

In the multiplayer, hopefully.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
I suppose there's no use anymore in hoping that Gabriel's voice in the trailers is just a placeholder, right?

Of Relic's many questionable decisions regarding DoW3, changing Gabriel's voice actor is by far the worst.

இڿڰۣ----- In Memoriam இڿڰۣ-----

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Artum posted:

And wouldn't you know it, closed beta signups just started.

What? Where?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Zaodai posted:

I actually like them quite a bit for being stereotypical anime robots. Because in a world where everything runs on pure retardation (even if it is hilarious and often enjoyable retardation), a faction of sleek, modern looking robots and air strikes and poo poo is awesome. It'd be like putting the US Army of the year 2015 against what people in the 1800s thought the army of 2015 would look like. Guys with functional tanks and machine guns and air strikes instead of some guy on a steam powered wagon with a bunch of single shot muzzle loading rifles strapped to it.

It also makes them stick out like a sore thumb. They're so visually different to everyone that they don't even look like they belong to the same universe.
40k's whole iconic look is based on a blend of sci-fi and medieval, Tau just go full sci-fi.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

my dad posted:

*looks at this post*

*looks at Orks*

*looks at Imperial Guard*

*looks at this post*

Orks are usually associated with medieval fantasy.
IG still has priests and swords and guys that dress like this:

Zaodai posted:

That's what makes them great, though. They're very distinct and different.

So different that you can put them in the Halo universe for example without changing a thing and they wouldn't look out of place.
40k's aesthetic is great exactly because it's not another generic sci-fi.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 1, 2017

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

kanonvandekempen posted:

You're not wrong, but you could make the exact same argument about Tyrannids

Tyranids are just monsters, they fit well enough just about everywhere but they still have some 40k elements like space swords:

Plus genestealers that look like this:

edit: I guess the problem with the Tau isn't only that they don't follow 40k's conventions, it's that they actively clash with them because they follow a completely separate, pre-existing and well established style.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 2, 2017

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Zaodai posted:

It surprises me how many people here dislike the Tau specifically because they're a bit of variety in the setting. Even if you prefer Imperium tech or whatever, you have to admit its kind of funny that the Imperium would find it retarded that instead of hollowing out a skull and putting it on a little grav platform to assist in targeting, the Tau just bounce a laser off it like a regular rangefinder. The difference in mindset makes them both better because of the contrast.

That retardation is what makes 40k unique in a sea of generic, sleek, hi-tech looking sci-fi.

Everything in 40k is some combination of big, blocky, highly ornamented and/or generally impractical. We accept that in this universe it works and that it's actually the right way to make things because it looks cool and unique but then come the tau with their far more reasonable and sleek designs that apparently also work just fine and suddenly this universe doesn't seem internally consistent anymore.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

xthetenth posted:

Tone down the eldar denialism.

What they lack in huge pauldrons they make up for with huge helmets plus space swords, wizards, elaborate ornamentation, etc.
Do I really need to explain why every race fits in the 40k universe better than Tau one by one? They'll always stick out a lot more than everyone else.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

xthetenth posted:

I can explain why each and every race fits into the 40k universe poorly except maybe dark eldar considering they're literally just the cross product of chaos and eldar.

Eldar are completely bereft of the functional air of every single other race in the game.

Orks are a bizzare junkyard technology joke that's completely at odds with the entire tone of the game.

Old Necrons have so little personality in a game of overblown larger than life personalities that they had to reboot the entire faction.

Newcrons are a weird softening of a gnawing existential horror in a universe entirely about the creeping inevitability of the faceless horror of an uncaring universe from without and human frailty from within that characters and weakness doesn't make sense to them at all.

Chaos are a strange externalization of the internal human frailty that robs the other human factions by it being separate and represented by generic supermen, when things like traitor guard are essential thematically and tragically underplayed in tabletop.

I'm not going to finish this but you see what I mean? 40k is a varied setting that melds a huge variety of topics, settings, and aesthetics, and really at the end of the day, the only unifying thing is a tone that there's always an edge of pathos and tragedy to the whole thing. (Well at least there is for somebody even if the Ork's having fun.)

Good arguments, valid points BUT have you considered the following: the Tau are loving anime poo poo.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
You guys are really overthinking it. My one and only issue with the Tau is that they don't fit visually, everyone else does.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Artum posted:

Sadly no bastards leaked anything from the beta, but relic jumped the gun and put an faq up too early and took it down giving a release date of 28th of April.

Nice. Much sooner than expected. Please oh please just be at least as good as DoW1 :pray:

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Artum posted:

Sadly no bastards leaked anything from the beta, but relic jumped the gun and put an faq up too early and took it down giving a release date of 28th of April.

Is this it?

The release date must have been further down.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Any word on whether the multiplayer is team focused? I generally avoid competitive online games because I'm old and bad and slow but I played hundreds of hours of DoW2 multiplayer nonetheless because it's a lot less stressful when two other guys can pick up the slack.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
I feel like I have to buy this game simply because beggars can't be choosers. Even if all the bad things I'm seeing and hearing about it end up being completely accurate it will still most likely be the best 40k game since 2011. Battlefleet Gothic is about the only decent one since then.
I also feel like I have to do my part to make sure that Sega and more specifically Games Workshop don't give up on the idea of big budget 40k games again. It's almost like extortion but what can you do. It will be real sad if all we have to look forward to is an endless stream of shovelware.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

Alternatively, buying this game means that Sega and Relic are encouraged to make more like it. If you don't think you will like this game, don't buy it.

If it's a choice between getting more of what will still probably be the best 40k game in recent years, even if it falls short of past glories, or seeing the series end... I'll have to go with the former.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Feeling an obligation to buy a mediocre title because you want a better game to not get screwed over is one of the worst things you can do, and it reeks of a stockholm syndrome mentality.

Besides, Vermintide and Warhammer Total War have already shown that excellent Warhammer games are still being made regardless of what the shell of Relic farts out.

GW has me by the fanboy balls, I'll be the first to admit it. With any other franchise I wouldn't even consider it.

As for Vermintide and Warhammer Total War, I've never liked Warhammer Fantasy as much as 40k. For now Relic are the only ones making 40k with a real budget.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
:siren: Relase date is officially April 27th :siren:

Pre-order pages on dawnofwar.com and Steam are up.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

OctaMurk posted:

Looks like there will be an open beta. I will give the game a chance, maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

As for BFG, Tindalos did a good job supporting it for like three months and then they left it to die. Quite sad, they could have built a franchise like the Wargame series and maintained a loyal playerbase for future games if they had cared.

Where did you find that quote?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
I'm gonna miss seeing the map reduced to a burning, cratered pile of ruble at the end of every match. :sigh:

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
edit: never mind.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
I've seen the quote saying that they want to give everyone a chance to play it before it comes out but I didn't see any source. Anyone know where the quote is from?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
What amazes me is that Space Marine's multiplayer was clearly an afterthought. Only had a handful of maps, could only play as SM and CSM which are exactly the same except for the models, barely got any post launch support, etc. And yet to this day it's still ridiculously better than EC.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Artum posted:

To be fair the game itself is pretty solidly fun, just literally every technical element of its a loving mess.

Have to disagree. Deathwing worked flawlessly for me, somehow, but it got incredibly boring fast. There's practically no enemy variety. Sure there are technically like 10 different types but they all behave exactly the same and are dealt with with the exact same tactics. Add the repetitive scenery and you have a game with nothing new to offer after 2 or 3 missions.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhEusT5JfUI

DOW2 Caster Indrid weighs in on the Beta.

I have no excitement left for this game and this is coming from someone who creamed his pants when it was first announced. At this point I just hope that it's not a complete commercial failure so there will be a chance to get things right with DoW4.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 10, 2017

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Noir89 posted:

Going to disagree with thread, got beta access and had tons of fun actually. And i was not having a good impression before getting to try it out.

I'd love to be wrong about this but it just looks like such a huge step back from DoW2. The cover system is gone. The graphics style is a lot more cartoony which I'd understand if the point was to make it easier to understand what's going on but then they cranked up the effects to 11 so they ended up achieving the complete opposite. I mean just look at this poo poo. Even with all those effects covering the screen it all feels so static compared to the utter destruction left by DoW2's battles. I've barely noticed a few marks left on the floor in all the footage I've seen. The base building looks so simplistic that it feels like it's there just to shut people up. There seems to be a lot of downtime too.

It all reeks of Relic chasing e-sports yet again and they'll fail at it like they always do. I guess with the open beta I'll know for sure soon enough.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 10, 2017

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Fetterkey posted:

I noticed more "battle aftermath" (corpses staying on field longer, crashed Land Speeders, blood spatters, etc.) than I did with Dawn of War II.

The body count is bigger and more noticeable, I'll give it that, but it can't compete with DoW2 map deformation. After a while even the bodies in 3 disappear, in 2 destroyed structures and craters (which can act as replacement cover too) are permanent.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
I'm using my farseer powers to predict a thoroughly mixed review score on Steam.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Deakul posted:

http://opencritic.com/game/4063/warhammer-40-000-dawn-of-war-3

Apparently this... is a good game...?

The common thoughts being: campaign is hot garbage but the rest of the game more than makes up for it.

Shame about the campaign part but not really surprising. They just don't make RTS campaigns like they used to. We've peaked with Warcraft 3 and it will never be surpassed. Even Blizzard showed that they've only regressed since then with StarCraft 2.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Artum posted:

Starcraft 2 minus swarm, halo wars 2 and Deserts of Kharak are all amazing campaigns. fite me.

On Warcraft 3's level? Can't speak about Halo, but Starcraft 2's campaigns are filled with filler missions where nothing of note happens and when something finally does it's usually something dumb. Kerrigan was ruined, Raynor was ruined, gently caress that game. Kharak wasn't bad but it suffered by being stuck on a planet with nothing but endless deserts.

WC3 on the other hand gave us a ton of memorable characters, a campaign for each of the 4 races and yet again with the expansion, heroes that got more levels and gear so you felt like you were almost playing some epic RPG, spanned a huge variety of locales both old and new and the story's impact on its world was unparalleled. So much happens that the Azeroth you begin in is almost unrecognizable to the one you end up in.

edit: Oh and because 4 fully fleshed out races weren't enough we also got two NPC races with the Legion and the Naga and then a ton of random mobs on top of it. You just can't beat WC3 on size and scope, no one even comes close.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 20, 2017

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Artum posted:

I maintain the only actually bad bits are Raynor's speech at the end of WoL and heart of the swarm just being really boring because the decided to undermine the concept of the Zerg. The epilogue to 2 was one of the greatest endings ever. I mean seriously how many times do people seal away ancient evil and go "oh wait its just gonna come back again later, we should probably actually deal with this since next time around people might not be as lucky" and invade hell to kill the devil.

Just the fact that you fought an ancient evil, the most boring cliche villain type in fiction, is already a strike against it. Yeah technically you did the same in WC3 but at least the Legion and Scourge were a lot more memorable and it was cool how they would manipulate and betray even among themselves. And the whole ending with Kerrigan turning into giant angel and shooting DBZ lasers at the bad guy, I mean her character was already ruined before that by flip flopping from human to zerg like 4 times but that was just an insult to injury.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Perfect World posted:

Speaking of 'ancient trapped evil' being tired as gently caress

I'm sure Gabriel can't wait to free it while Macha yells at him again

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
So the open beta will be starting later today. Any general tips from the people who have already played it?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Welp, I've seen enough. I can't deal with what a visual mess this game is. As soon as even a medium scale battle starts I can't tell what the hell is going on anymore. Maybe it's just me and my old man brain and eyes can't keep up, either way it's not for me.

Look how happy I was when it was first announced. This is goddamn depressing.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Sdoots posted:

Has there been a good 40K game since Space Marine? I think every single release has been a disappointment to some degree ever since.

Battlefleet Gothic. Can't speak about the multiplayer but the singleplayer is pretty good though it gets pretty repetitive by the end.

Other than that, yeah, it's been a wasteland of broken dreams which DoW3 is now a part of :smith:

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Or a Diablo clone where you hack-and-slash hordes of xenos :unsmigghh:

You'll get your wish with that one. Look up Warhammer 40,000 Inquisitor Martyr.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

space marine was worth it for the execution sequences multiplayer alone, hth

It's amazing how good MP was considering it was clearly an afterthought. Still better in every way than that awful Eternal Crusade game, that's the saddest part.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Can we all at least agree that the music, at least what was present in the beta, sucked? It was so ambient and nondescript that I didn't even notice there was any at first.

DoW1 had so many great tracks.
DoW2 wasn't bad either.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Stanley Pain posted:

Dow 4 is gonna suck because it's not Dow I, II or III :byodame:

You laugh but wait until DoW4 is announced as a mobile game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
In DoW1 I could tell what the hell was going on because they didn't go completely overboard with the effects and my units weren't made of paper. It resembles DoW1 with it's army sizes but not much else.

• Locked thread