Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

In the initial stages of a multiplayer match the fights were small, but towards the middle you'd get people teaming up to make pushes on fortified positions which resulted in more chaos. Then the late game had people make desperation plays with their entire army swarming one point in a suicidal charge. Then you'd have people drop their globals right on top of that army so lasers would be pouring out of the sky while bodies flew across the screen and vehicles spun out of control into flaming wrecks.

It was pretty fun!

I think the one wonky thing about DoW 2 MP is that it was the inverse of every other RTS game. 1 v 1 matches were kinda weird and lame for various reasons but team games were insanely fun and action packed.

I'm doubly nervous about this game because I don't much care for going back to DoW 1 style and Relic's last RTS game was apparently not stellar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

HMS Boromir posted:

I liked Dawn of War 2's campaign when I first played it but I reinstalled it during a recent free weekend in hopes of getting someone to play it coop and I couldn't stand more than 5 minutes of it before being bored out of my skull. I was never a huge fan but I've never been as down on a game I liked the first time around as I was on DoW2 so I don't really know what happened there.

The DoW 2 campaign starts you off really, really slow. It doesn't start getting interesting until at least like an hour in, IIRC. And the Retribution campaign was mostly just bad, Orc storyline aside.

OTOH, the first two DoW campaigns are by the number RTS campaign snoozefests, Dark Crusade has some cool ideas ruined by the agony of hero rushing enemy bases over and over again before they start spewing out literal endless hordes of enemies you can only beat by slowly wading through for an hour and a half or more. Soulstorm was just Dark Crusades again except (thankfully) getting rid of the perpetual bases and then everything else being horrible. (And I have beaten Soulstorm many times over, so believe me I know, I know...)

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I have to say those screenshots are not inspiring confidence, even for alpha footage.

Every single screenshot is pretty much just a blob of units on each side standing in a narrow corridor with no cover (except the barricade things) shooting at each other. Combined with the way they've described the difference between elite and line units and I'm picturing a game where line units are just spammable cannon fodder you throw at each other while you micro your up-to-three elite units to try and get an advantage.

It's one thing for them to say they're streamlining the cover system, but the maps themselves seem laid out in a way that allows for very little in the way strategy or unit maneuvering.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Davincie posted:

it looks sooooooooo bad

I know it's pre-alpha and all, but I really hate the map design already. It's all expendable troops standing around in wide corridors over flat, featureless terrain, exactly like the early screenshots. I'm really not liking the way gameplay looks at this stage either.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Perhaps they will introduce maps that aren't literally hallways, but that doesn't make it likely they will back down from getting rid of cover outside of those dumb looking capture points, or simplifying basic units to the point you practically don't micro them at all.

Outside of probably slightly different stats what difference is there between the units of 4-5 tac marines who stand around awkwardly shooting bolters and the units of 4-5 Eldar Guardians or whatever that do exactly the same thing? It very much looks like you just mass click move a bunch of basic troops that don't matter much and then Micro your Force Commander and Giant Robot's active skills, which is pretty much how the early previews described gameplay. It just looks really dull to me personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

xthetenth posted:

It looks like DoW 2 with DoW 1 as a distracting sideshow on DoW 1 maps. That's not necessarily too awful to have a shitblob because eventually any large enough force is going to turn into one, but I'm concerned about the early game without the more involved cover mechanics of 2.

Then again I think DoW 1 was in retrospect pretty mediocre and this looks solidly better than that.

Pretty much, it looks somewhat like DoW 2 with DoW 1 maps and base building, which is a combination that someone is presumably excited about but it makes me uneasy.

• Locked thread