Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Lassitude posted:

Trying to make the game more like DoW1 when DoW2 was better in every possible way is insane.

I agree with this but there is absolutely no indication that they're making it more like DoW1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Man Whore posted:

Those screenshots look alpha as gently caress

Looks like they are going to stick with Essence v3.0

CHRIST

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

madmac posted:

I think the one wonky thing about DoW 2 MP is that it was the inverse of every other RTS game. 1 v 1 matches were kinda weird and lame for various reasons but team games were insanely fun and action packed.

This is correct.

Also Dawn Goons were actually pretty good: http://www.gamereplays.org/dawnofwar2/replays.php?game=47&show=details&id=153013

Donnerberg posted:

Looks like it's plastic Eldar again too, despite the badass ones in the trailer.

quote:

Relic's artists have taken more inspiration from the colourful paint jobs of the tabletop game. It's a step away from the dark doom-laden tone of the fiction

Why Relic why.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 4, 2016

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Kanos posted:

This is such a grossly incorrect summary of how a DoW2 multiplayer match goes that I'm wondering if you're actually from some kind of alternate universe where Dewey defeated Truman. I played hundreds of hours of DoW2 multiplayer and I can count the number of DoW2 multiplayer matches I played or saw that ended with HQ kills on my hands. DoW2 multiplayer matches were won by control points, not annihilation.

I think he is referring to DoW1 there.

He's still wrong, DOTA2 is incredibly more complex than DoW2 is. Source: me because I've played over 2000hrs of both games.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

This is so lame. Move blob, halt, fire at other blob, repeat.

Also have they abandoned PhysX?

It sure looks like a SC2 clone to me.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 8, 2016

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

This game looks wrong without physics. Those Banshees seem to just trigger a standard knock down animation. Yuck.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Can someone explain where the strategy is in this game?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Liu posted:

dow 2 mp wasnt playable with any semblance of proper balance until a year after release or so.

Yes but an Apothacary leaping onto the head of a Carnifex and single handedly executing it with his chainsword was the coolest sync kill I have ever seen.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Fetterkey posted:

DoW2 already had a problem where some units more or less couldn't use cover because they had too many guys to fit in, with Guardsman squads (which could get up to 12 guys IIRC) being the most extreme example.

Yes, that is because cover comes in differrent sizes. This is a bizarre criticism.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

I knew this was not going to be anything like DoW2 and I really want to like it... but there are so many things that just make this game feel wrong and seriously outdated. Firstly, it feels like the characters are just sprites hovering around on a static (highly detailed) backdrop. There is no impression that any of the weapons have any impact - it was overwhelmingly clear when you got struck by something in DoW2, a supression weapon or plasma weapon for example. There were more than just glowing lights to indicate you were being attacked; there was a sense of impact that made you genuinely fearful of getting your Dreadnought or other vehicle too close to a squad of Catachan with melta guns. This probably had something to with superior physics and sound direction.

I am really having problems finding a reason to continue playing this when it seems to offer so little that is superior to other games.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Zaodai posted:

The fact that both people who liked DoW1 and people who liked DoW2 don't like DoW3 is still kind of telling, though. It's probably slightly more than "mad because bad".

Can anyone tell me what this game offers, any element, that is superior to dow1 or dow2? Because I sure as hell can't see any element of this game that makes me think 'oh, they've really done a better job of *this thing*'.

It feels like they've built a game based on what they thought the game should look like with no real understanding (and probably very little hands on experience with either of the predecessors) of what made the first two games so compelling to play; so they haven't actually improved on either game.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 23, 2017

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Has anyone been able to get DoW2 running with GeDoSaTo?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

I can't believe this game was made using an updated version of the engine they used in CoH2. They have stripped everything that made the Essence engine so unique and replaced it with cartoon units that look like they're in a marchingband and removed virtually all interaction with the map. The brilliance of the Essence engine was the unprecedented cover system, physics and destructable terrain.

I just reinstalled dow2 after playing several dow3 games with my old pals from dow2 and my god dow2 is pure fun an adrendaline compared to the games I won in dow3 (which just felt like ’oh *shrug* I just won and didn't even realise).

Also, wtf: http://www.game-debate.com/news/22784/warhammer-40k-dawn-of-war-3-low-vs-ultra-graphics-comparison-sliders

TLDR: Looks like you have to run the game on low settings to actually tell what's going on.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 26, 2017

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

So there was a good DoW3 in development and then abandoned in favour of a more accessible game: https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=4BZVg2gFSDg

That said I'm glad the DoW3 team wanted it to be a welcoming game with appeal to a broader audience :gay:

KingEup fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 27, 2017

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Have you read A5tro's steam review?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Popete posted:

Game is decent

That's kinda the problem though. Why play an average game when there are plenty of good games to play instead.

Edit: if Iron Harvest turns out good I hope they get the Dawn of War IP.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 28, 2017

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Mackers posted:

The game is fixable if they were bothered.

It isn't. It really isn't.

Our only hope is that Iron Harvest is a success and the devs are awarded some 40k IP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT29OGk_Byc

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Donnerberg posted:

I want to live inside of a gif of that one mech ramming the other mech through a brick wall.

If there is one thing that highlights the squandered potential of DoW3 it is this precise moment.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

DoW2 had

Unit veterancy
Dynamic cover (as opposed to strange bubbles that were impenetrable to random units for no clear reason)
Space Marines that had not yet forgotten how to move and shoot.
Physics

These were good things and it's not clear why they chose to scrap this instrad of build on this solid foundation.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Dear GW please give the DoW IP to the guys making Iron Harvest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Wow they're ducking up the new AoE as well.

• Locked thread