Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Part of what makes Comedy Central’s Broad City such a pleasure to watch week after week is the extent to which Ilana’s and Abbi’s characters are developed. It wouldn’t take more than a few episodes to glean that Ilana is the outspoken, slovenly, crude one while Abbi is a well-intentioned, anxious magnet for bad luck, but Broad City stays funny by diving deeper into their intricacies with each episode. At the same time, these characters are totally relatable and off-putting exaggerations of themselves. Broad City accentuates Ilana’s and Abbi’s idiosyncrasies so that we feel included in their special friendship, while the rest of New York moves too quickly to pick up on their brilliant chemistry. Broad City makes a strong case for the “you had to be there” friendship — the relationship you can’t easily explain to someone who’s not a part of it. Wednesday night’s episode “2016,” however, contained a glaring inconsistency in Ilana’s character: her unwavering support of Hillary Clinton doesn’t make sense.

Wednesday night’s “2016” finds Abbi and Ilana on separate missions as Abbi must renew her license at the DMV and Ilana searches for her new calling after she was fired from an Internet startup. While Abbi’s beleaguered experience at the DMV is relatable and congruent with her character’s frequent run-ins with misfortune, the job that Ilana eventually finds is an egregious contradiction to her character. Fate leads her to volunteer at Hillary Clinton’s campaign headquarters, although Ilana would definitely be a Bernie person.

The socially outspoken aspect of Ilana’s character often parodies privileged white people who are up in arms about everything and strictly PC for the sake of appearing righteous. As we’ve seen in previous episodes, Ilana can turn harmless conversations with Abbi into political diatribes or opportunities to unpack controversial issues, although the conversation may not have been headed in that direction. Ilana is the Bushwick hipster who harps on constricting binaries, the rigidity of gender roles, women’s rights, and other progressive topics often without taking any hands on action. She does deeply care about these issues but unwittingly betrays her own perspective, like when she makes her own “showtime” on the subway in “2016” and tells her audience to help her out because she’s an NYU grad who’s been fired from an Internet startup. While Bernie Sanders has his fair share of informed supporters, he also covers the voting constituency that Ilana Wexler would realistically be a apart of: young fluctuating progressives.

Maybe this episode of Broad City was filmed before it seemed at all likely that Bernie Sanders could garner substantial support, but Ilana’s vehement advocacy for Hillary in “2016” is simply incorrect. If Ilana Wexler were real, you know she would be your friend who goes on and on about feeling the Bern. She’s the friend who floods your Facebook and Twitter with inflamed Bernie rhetoric, urging people to consider Bernie’s down to earth, outrightly progressive policies over Hillary’s that stray closer to the middle. I could see Abbi as a potential Hillary supporter since she’s less outspoken about the world’s injustices, but Ilana’s enthusiastic support of Hillary is a wrong stitch in the fabric of her progressive character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

hosed up if true.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 59 minutes!

hemophilia posted:

Broad City was a very funny cool show until that poo poo went down and now i'm done with those ladies and their tainted show.

I know what you mean, I'm so scared of the bad lady that I don't even drink alcohol anymore since I saw that video of her doing shots, because I'm afraid of looking down into the glass and seeing her reflection

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Al! posted:

I know what you mean, I'm so scared of the bad lady that I don't even drink alcohol anymore since I saw that video of her doing shots, because I'm afraid of looking down into the glass and seeing her reflection

I'm glad that I have a person who is a fun-house mirror of my own feelings.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Isn't MIGF the most ignored user on the entire forums that isn't permabanned?

Isn't MIGF the user most loving familiar with internal D party workings because he is an elected, ane the vast majority of other posters are too goddamn cowardly to loving declare a party loyalty?

Some would say yes.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

Isn't MIGF the user most loving familiar with internal D party workings because he is an elected, ane the vast majority of other posters are too goddamn cowardly to loving declare a party loyalty?

Some would say yes.

Make a compelling argument for party loyalty. I mean, as a voter. Obviously having people loyal to the party is good for elected officials and their appointed cronies. What benefit does a voter actually have by declaring loyalty to the party over ideals?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

hemophilia posted:

Make a compelling argument for party loyalty. I mean, as a voter. Obviously having people loyal to the party is good for elected officials and their appointed cronies. What benefit does a voter actually have by declaring loyalty to the party over ideals?

They don't have to think about who they vote for. Instead they just hit the big D or R and vote straight party.

Way easier than doing research.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation

hemophilia posted:

I'm glad that I have a person who is a fun-house mirror of my own feelings.

its a cctv my brother

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

I am legit mad that PFT and Jen Kirkman have been compromised by dark money*

*which happens to be pro-israel, and I want to go on the record as saying that there's nothing wrong with that, it's not evidence of some global zionist conspiracy, just one man who deeply loves and cares about his home state and wants to influence US politics in its favor. a totally reasonable thing to do, but videos like that are a goddamn shameful way to do it

if it makes you feel any better, no you shut up has been cancelled

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I saw this dank meme image the other day of the pledged delegate count. Probably propaganda.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
lena dunham wearing some idiot retard pajamas like a loving child

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
cuck

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

hemophilia posted:

Broad City was a very funny cool show until that poo poo went down and now i'm done with those ladies and their tainted show.

return to your ghetto bernout

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Were all grown ups here dont be a baby because somebody doesnt like the garbage democrat

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I like this thread good job op

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Goetta posted:

Agreed the op was informative

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Wheeee posted:

seriously though all the pro-Hillary comedy I've seen carries the same tone-deafness that defines right-wing comedy, what's with that

Clinton is pretty right-wing

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Forget the politics of it, I don't care if they make fun of whatever candidate. But has Collegehumor ever been funny? I'd occasionally follow a link to it years ago and it was never funny then, and trying out some of their newer stuff and it's not gotten any better. It's like some middle school class show written by the PTA and it's so bad and trying so hard I cringe.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Wow. Let's watch the language here. No need to throw around the 'g' word

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Flubby posted:

Forget the politics of it, I don't care if they make fun of whatever candidate. But has Collegehumor ever been funny? I'd occasionally follow a link to it years ago and it was never funny then, and trying out some of their newer stuff and it's not gotten any better. It's like some middle school class show written by the PTA and it's so bad and trying so hard I cringe.

Their sketch about Wolfenstein was pretty funny.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Goetta posted:

thank u

Toadvine posted:

Agreed the op was informative

it's just some stuff to think about, you know. or it's paranoid delusions, but w/e, that's what this election does to you. If a single one of us survives the next sixth months with our minds intact it will be a testament to the desensitization we've experienced from decades of goatse and liveleak vids

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
yasssas queen :suicide:

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
It's not paranoid in the least to maintain constant skepticism of the media narrative. Election season is actually a great time to calibrate your ability to detect bias

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation

Yassssssss queen quickly becoming the new triggered

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

This one is a little more oblique, i.e., 20 seconds of googling doesn't reveal a clinton family member or multimillion dollar donor pulling the strings, just:

which is owned by

who rolls with this crew

However, a donation of:

feels more like an arbitrary bending of the knee that every company does to both sides of the isle, rather than some grand passion for HRC being president, especially since its to the foundation only and not the campaign.

My best guess would be that it has more to do with

Seems less insidious to me than the others tbh. I guess Amy Poehler is as much a rich celebrity as anyone, but there's more of a direct linkage between the agenda and the person pushing it in Broad City than there is in the collegehumor vid.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Lord of Pie posted:

Thankfully nobody watches Colbert's new show so there won't be a massive cancer outbreak from the "comedy routine" he did with Hillary one of those times she was on

Its a shame cbs neutered him

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Uncle Wemus posted:

Colbert is the one that drew the "it connotates excitement" out of Jeb!, so his show had already had an important impact on history

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Seems less insidious to me than the others tbh. I guess Amy Poehler is as much a rich celebrity as anyone, but there's more of a direct linkage between the agenda and the person pushing it in Broad City than there is in the collegehumor vid.

I didn't mean to imply it's insidious, but it is propaganda most cloy.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/ZaidJilani/status/728602373753585664

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
OP is a cool dude

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Toadvine posted:

I didn't mean to imply it's insidious, but it is propaganda most cloy.

Sorry man, wasn't trying to put words in your mouth or nothin', I was just referring to my own reaction. I still hate it (especially since on the most basic level it pulls you out of your suspension of disbelief about these two lovable stoners), but it's somehow less visceral to me, then, say, that episode of modern family where the entire thing is about Claire trying to buy Ty Burell an iPad. Like, I don't think the writer of that ep just really loved iPad's so much that they wanted to get the word out, whereas it's totally possible that the broad city people are true believers in the cause.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

It is kind of funny to think how little anyone thinks of the Daily Show empire at the moment. Oliver's 'Drumpf' thing or whatever fell flat. Samantha Bee posted probably the least funny response to Trump's Taco Salad you could imagine. Trevor Noah...lol.

Will Jon Stewart be forced out of retirement to make goo-goo faces at the camera so people will know Trump is a bad guy??

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i mean parks and rec literally had the participation of many many obama administration figures and the show, intentionally or otherwise, serves as propaganda for the american system of government explicitly and THIS american government implicitly. they had a whole episode where the crux of the "jokes" was "lol venezuelans are racist monsters"

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Half the old daily show people are smeared out over a bunch of weird Comedy Central timeslots (yes, Larry Wilmore has a boring news show too) but the rest are spread out all over the place and pretty successful so I don't think you could say that they're failures because they haven't consolidated into a media hivemind or whatever, like that was never really the purpose

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Fullhouse posted:

Half the old daily show people are smeared out over a bunch of weird Comedy Central timeslots (yes, Larry Wilmore has a boring news show too) but the rest are spread out all over the place and pretty successful so I don't think you could say that they're failures because they haven't consolidated into a media hivemind or whatever, like that was never really the purpose

the ones who moved on to completely unrelated things are doing great, yeah

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Fullhouse posted:

They are making money and unlikely to have their shows cancelled, yes.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

let's not forget that jon stewart has all the ego of lorne michaels but maybe half his savvy, at best. it's also pretty clear he doesn't care about building an empire or whatever. as long as idiots on salon and slate continue pining for his "buhhhhh" face his legacy is secure

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

I actually remember the first time I saw the daily show.

I was probably 8 or 9, on vacation with my parents, by myself in the motel room, flipping through channels on the complementary television when I landed on Comedy Central (which I definitely was not allowed to watch).

There was John Stewart, doing a fake news report about an escaped zoo gorilla. One of the interns was stuffed into a ridiculous gorilla suit, flailing around in front of a crappy pixelated greenscreen. It was the funniest goddamn thing I'd ever seen.

2000 and 9/11 changed the show of course, which was great since that politicizing led to Indecision 2004 & 2008, the best reporting of both those elections. There was that golden era w/ Steve Carrell and Colbert, and who could forget the manic joy of those first 100 Colbert Report episodes? It directly led to myself and all my peers becoming political junkies as sophomores in high school, which definitely wouldn't have happened otherwise.

But.. sometimes I still think about that gorilla, you know?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

oh sure, i loved that era of daily show like most teens did at the time. america the book was fused under my arm. but i was an al franken liberal then and no doubt if i watched some of that stuff now as a Literal Communist i'd be rolling my eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Poehler getting execs to donate to HRC is hilarious. The donation is so worth it so they can keep paying women 50% of their male counterparts and still be pro woman.

• Locked thread