Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Hey Beer, I was actually looking to draft Hauschka, but for some dumb reason he does not appear at the correct spot on the Alphabetical order so i thought he had already been taken (He's in between Bailey and Barth, wtf?)

If you could change it, thanks. If not, it's cool either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
17.12- Kamar Aiken- Not thrilled with taking 3 Ravens in a row, but Aiken's aggregate ADP is 161 per Football Guys, so getting him at 17.12/204 and as my fifth WR works for me.

18.01- Chandler Catanzaro- I really am not excited to see what my kicker options are like at 19.12, particularly if three are already gone, so I figured I'd grab Catanzaro now. I think the skill guys I'm interested in taking a flyer on will still be available.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Leperflesh posted:

12.12 144. Draft Warrior Gostkowski, Stephen NEP PK
So I think you mean THE FIRST KICKER DRAFTED AT A REMOTELY SENSIBLE ROUND HAS BEEN DRAFTED

:D

VietCampo posted:

Hey Beer, I was actually looking to draft Hauschka, but for some dumb reason he does not appear at the correct spot on the Alphabetical order so i thought he had already been taken (He's in between Bailey and Barth, wtf?)

If you could change it, thanks. If not, it's cool either way.

Fixed.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
15.11 - Devin Funchess
People were pretty big on him last season before KB went down, and with a healthy KB and some experience under his belt, he may do some stuff this season. I dunno.

16.02 - Jared Cook
We already know who Jared Cook is: an athletic freak who has never played up to his potential. That being said, he has never played with a QB even remotely as talented as Aaron Rodgers, who has that intangible ability to elevate his receivers. Mike McCarthy expressed his desire for a big pass-catching TE this preseason, and they went out and got one.

17.11 - Jaguars DST
I admit that I'm blinded by all of the talent on this defense and will be legitimately surprised when they poo poo it up again this year.

18.02 - Dan Bailey
I fell victim to the kicker run here. Dan Bailey has always been a reliable kicker, and assuming that Romo stays healthy and keeps the DAL offense functional, I don't see that changing any time soon.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

18.03 Danny Amendola
I'm actually a little surprised Amendola has dropped to the 18th round. Even with a 4-game Brady discount, he's probably good for at least 500 yards and a couple TDs. OK, he had surgery in this offseason, but who hasn't? They took a bone spur off his ankle, that's not that big of a deal. At this point in the draft, this guy is a very fine pick. He is a receiver who catches some balls and whose position on the team is not in question, and that's round 18 gold.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
How many more rounds do you guys have? I gotta get my fix in :f5:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
4 ish

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Actually we're starting round 19 of 24, so nearly five rounds. We'll probably be done within a week.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

18.10 - Zach Miller, TE
Miller developed a good rapport with Cutler in the second half of last year, and with the Black Unicorn's departure, there's a big opportunity for him to see some volume in the passing game. Very comfortable rolling with Ertz and Miller as my TE1 and TE2.

19.03 - Chris Hogan, WR
Patiots signed the former Bills WR to a pretty decent contract this offseason, and he should get plenty of opportunities to be their outside guy. Edelman and Amendola are both coming off of surgery and getting up there in age, so I'm acquiring Hogan on the cheap wherever I can in dynasty leagues.

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 2, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

19.10: Blair Walsh
OK yup, I took a kicker. Seems to be about the right round to grab someone reasonably reliable. Minnesota should be in position for PATs and FGs a few times every game, so yup.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

20.03: Blue, Alfred

Lamar Miller is the bellcow back for the Texans, and I do not subscribe to the idea that the reason Miami barely used him was because he can't handle a heavy workload.

But, just in case they're right, I don't mind taking the #2 back in Texas. He might get some carried when Miller gets tired, and if Miller gets hurt this is his handcuff.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Leperflesh posted:

20.03: Blue, Alfred

Lamar Miller is the bellcow back for the Texans, and I do not subscribe to the idea that the reason Miami barely used him was because he can't handle a heavy workload.

But, just in case they're right, I don't mind taking the #2 back in Texas. He might get some carried when Miller gets tired, and if Miller gets hurt this is his handcuff.

If you get that one game a year out of Blue, he's probably worth it. Best ball makes everything permissible. Nothing is forbidden.

Meanwhile, on that very subject:

19.12: Ty Montgomery I think Montgomery is getting seriously undervalued due to an injury shortened rookie season. There's a good RotoViz piece on this and at the end of the day, I'd rather own a piece of the GB offense than not.

20.01: James White Somewhat similarly, I'd rather own a piece of New England than not- particularly in best ball. The knock on all NE RBs is always "oh Bill Belichick and chicanery- how do I know who to start when?" 3rd RB after a questionably healthy Lewis and LGB means pretty solid opportunity.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
Need to catch up on my last few picks.

16.09 Oakland Raiders
Don't expect them to stand out as my second defense but they're a young, improving defense that added some nice pieces in free agency and the draft. Should get a few good sack-heavy games every now and then.

17.04 Jamison Crowder
Redskins coaches like the second-year receiver and he'll be part of their future post-Garcon/Jackson along with Doctson. May not have a reliable role to start the year but as soon as injuries take their toll, he ought to step up. Could be on the WR2 map in PPR leagues if Reed gets injured as he would then soak up targets in the middle of the field.

18.09 Jordan Howard
Fantasy pundits have been throwing shade on Jeremy Langford all offseason due to his inefficiency as a rookie. Plus the Bears tried to entice CJA to come to Chicago in free agency so it seems they're not completely sold on Langford either. Between Langford, Howard, and forgotten man Kadeem Carey, it'll probably be an ugly committee for the Bears but in best-ball, I don't have to try and predict their weekly output.

19.04 Jeff Janis
Considered a punchline in fantasy circles, he still possesses the physical traits to succeed in best-ball and may yet show some improvement in his third year.

Tiptoes fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 4, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
18.12 - Terrance Williams
The WR2 in a Dallas offense, he's flashed some solid signs in the past and in the improbable event that Dez is hurt and Romo is healthy he could be a solid threat.

19.01 - Robert Turbin
Frank Gore is old and Robert Turbin is the backup with little competition.

20.12 - Jordan Cameron
Cameron was a major disappointment last year but could easily bounce back under a new coaching scheme. Plus I hosed up and picked two TEs with the same bye week.

21.01 - DeAndre Smelter
After sitting out his rookie year due to an ACL tear Smelter is ready to play. More importantly the receiving situation in San Francisco is such a mess that Smelter could easily get some looks.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I picked up smelter in a couple of dynasty leagues last year, so I'm right there with you hoping he's amazing/usable :v:

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
18.11 - Graham Gano

Securing at least one kicker who should be a fairly consistent scorer seemed to be a good idea at the time!

19.02 - Charles Clay

Fairly boom/bust TE, but his boom is pretty good and as it stands is the undoubted #1 TE. Might see a few more looks this year? I hope?

20.11 - Robert Woods

One of the last #2 WRs left out there. Taking #1 WR reps in OTAs while Sammy heals. Hoping he gets some timely 10+ point days since I needed another WR.

21.02 - Kyle Rudolph

Someone has to draft him and get disappointed right? Since ASJ is a bit unknown coming into the season and Clay has good week/bad week syndrome I figured another TE that has the possibility of a few 10+ point days is probably a good thing.

Also that Jordan Howard pick might be a sneaky good one for best ball. John Fox has said a couple of times he is going to play hot hand at RB, so Howard might end up with a few good days midseason onwards. Had him on my list and was going to take him this loop but found he already got drafted =/

Chen Kenichi fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 5, 2016

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I timed out but I was going to grab the Dallas Cowboys. Looks like Halo Egg hasn't submitted a pick yet; can I get my pick for round 21 changed from Colston to DAL?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Done.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

21.10: Gould, Robbie
In this format you need multiple kickers. Sigh.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

22.03: McDonald, Vance SFO TE

For my third tight end spot I'm going with a sneaky upside longshot. I'll let rotoviz explain.

tl:dr; McDonald has potential. He's also got "bad hands" and maybe will drop enough passes that the whole idea is scrapped quickly, I don't know. We'll see. For round 22, it's worth a shot.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

I love the Vance McDonald pick. I've been reading up about him lately and I'm coming around to the idea that he may sneakily carry as much upside as the trendier late round picks like Ebron/ASJ. Had 3 top five performances at the end of last year and was a favored target of Gabbert's when on the field. I'm curious what sort of role he could carve out in Chip Kelly's offense.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Vance McDonald is a trash tier receiver and a very good blocker so it's going to be Garrett Celek as the hail Mary TE to own in SF.

Maybe even Blake Bell.

Just not McDonald. That dude is terrible.

Edit: Only Jeremy Langford had a higher drop percentage last season (at least 30 targets division)

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 7, 2016

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

been slacking on posting

17.08 - Colts, Indianapolis IND Def

18.05 - Ravens, Baltimore BAL Def

I missed all the good defenses, these will have to do

19.08 - Walford, Clive OAK TE

seems like pretty good value all the way down here for a weapon for Derek Carr

20.05 - LaFell, Brandon CIN WR

yeah I took both Cinci's receivers not named AJ Green, and they'll probably alternate having decent games anyway. best ball whatever

21.08 - Santos, Cairo KCC PK

kicker time already? felt forced to grab a decent one.

22.05 - Buccaneers, Tampa Bay TBB Def

another average defense that randomly had some big games last year. kinda wanted another TE but there's none left worth it really

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Vance McDonald is a trash tier receiver and a very good blocker so it's going to be Garrett Celek as the hail Mary TE to own in SF.

Maybe even Blake Bell.

Just not McDonald. That dude is terrible.

Edit: Only Jeremy Langford had a higher drop percentage last season (at least 30 targets division)

Actually if someone else is competing with him, it might be Bruce Miller. http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article81576877.html
:ssh:

But in round 22 I don't mind an extreme longshot. Maybe Vance has been working on his hands during the offseason. And honestly he still looked better than Vernon Davis has the last couple years. Remember him? There was a time he was a top three TE pick in fantasy.

e. Also Langford was drafted in the fourth round. OK he's an RB so maybe he doesn't need to catch so many passes, but still. If you're useful enough, a few drops are forgivable.

e2. Also also, chip kelly. He needs TEs who can block and also run a route and catch, because his offense stays on the field through multiple downs without subs. So McDonald is attractive as a guy who, as you say, can block very well, but also operates as a potential passing weapon. That's the idea, anyway, who knows what will happen. :shrug:

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 8, 2016

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

There are always tight ends that come out of nowhere to post top ten numbers so it's worth thinking outside the box sometimes. I like McDonald as a dude with an increased opportunity in Chip Kelly's system. I do think Kelly can bounce back as a playcaller and can work with Gabbert as a short/intermediate passer. Maybe not to win many games, but at least to inflate some numbers. Torrey Smith's speciality is the deep ball, which isn't Gabbert's strength to say the least, so we may not see the same usage out of him like we saw from Jackson/Maclin in Philly and potentially there could be a bigger role for the slot receiver and tight ends. Ertz/Celek split the snaps in Philly because of blocking duties but if McDonald can do both, he could wind up earning enough snaps to be interesting fantasy-wise.

poo poo, in best ball, even just having 3 top five performances like he did last year is worth it in the 22nd round.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
22.11 - Mike Gillislee

In what appears to be a 3 pronged running attack for the Bills, Gillislee stood out once they started using him late last season where he averaged 10(!) ypc. Definitely possible to have a big breakout year if Shady or Karlos gets dinged up.

23.02 - Mike Nugent

another kicker on another decent offense. Yay!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Tiptoes posted:

There are always tight ends that come out of nowhere to post top ten numbers so it's worth thinking outside the box sometimes. I like McDonald as a dude with an increased opportunity in Chip Kelly's system. I do think Kelly can bounce back as a playcaller and can work with Gabbert as a short/intermediate passer. Maybe not to win many games, but at least to inflate some numbers. Torrey Smith's speciality is the deep ball, which isn't Gabbert's strength to say the least, so we may not see the same usage out of him like we saw from Jackson/Maclin in Philly and potentially there could be a bigger role for the slot receiver and tight ends. Ertz/Celek split the snaps in Philly because of blocking duties but if McDonald can do both, he could wind up earning enough snaps to be interesting fantasy-wise.

poo poo, in best ball, even just having 3 top five performances like he did last year is worth it in the 22nd round.

Man you dudes made me spend my lunch break watching Vance McDonald on Gamepass. I watched the 3 games after Vernon Davis was traded and here is my conclusion:

Precise enough route runner to be open consistently, but can only catch when he's open. He had multiple dropped catchable passes (Kaepernick's had a degree of difficulty but it bounced off his hands). He dropped one where he was running parallel to a Gabbert scramble and it was a ~3 yard pass into his hands. He hears footsteps and turtles up which causes a lot of his dropped pass issues. He can fight for YAC if he gets some room to run but bottles himself up on contested stuff. Doesn't go through people, really.

The 49ers seem to run about a play a game where they dump it to him in the flat or in the backfield and he does less than nothing with it. Probably because these plays are on third and long.

His upside is limited because of his inability to make contested catches (or what he perceives will be a contested catch). In best ball he's a decent flier but the article on him being a sleeper is dangerous because he doesn't really do anything for himself and he has bad hands. Bad, bad hands.

There's also that two Bengals interceptions in one game last year were directly his fault because the ball clanged off his hands.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well, just to continue the conversation, and despite telegraphing this pick:

23.10: Miller, Bruce
You don't see fullbacks get drafted much in Fantasy, no. But as I said above, Vance McDonald's real competition at TE is probably Bruce Miller, who has spent the offseason learning to play TE and maybe WR in some plays.

It remains to be seen what Chip Kelly does with these guys. They could easily both be totally irrelevant. There's a decent chance the niners still grab someone off of free agency, too, they have some cap space I believe. There are a lot of rookies on the team, there's a new coaching regime, the quarterback situation is far from settled, etc. This could wind up being the #32 team in the NFL this year.

But for round twenty goddamn three, I'm in the mood for playing with fire. I think there's about a 50% chance that either Miller or McDonald break out as TE1s with decent targets at some point this season, and for these two picks, I've just ensured I get whichever one is that guy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
22.12 - Reuben Randle Who the gently caress knows, but I need WRs and he at least has the possibility of upside.

23.1 - Dustin Hopkins I need a second kicker, he's young, and I like having a player to root for from my home team.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Matt Bryant and Alex Collins to finish things off. I get more and more nervous about Rawls as time goes by and I think Collins may have a role regardless of Rawls' health.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

24.03 Marshawn Lynch
He's only probably definitely retired. But, in case you haven't been following the story:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/22/marshawn-lynch-turns-30-still-isnt-officially-retired/

So I missed that three days ago he gave an interview in which he insisted he's really definitely retired. But uh, why hasn't he actually officially retired then? This is a man with an agent and a lawyer and an accountant, undoubtedly, so I don't believe that he's just bad at doing paperwork.

So I really really doubt he's going to de-retire, but he totally could play this year if he felt like it. Hence I've wasted my final pick on this ridiculous lottery ticket, because well, think of the amazing upside!

I was also considering Kaep, or a third D/ST, but gently caress it this is more fun.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
It's been a while since I showed the (non)logic behind my late round picks.

19.11 CJ Spiller
I'm all about picking up talented players who have flamed out but may provide some value if they regain any of their former glory. There are a lot of excuses surrounding CJ Spiller's season with the Saints last year - he was injured and he never learned the playbook being the main ones. He's still a fast, elusive back who flashed once or twice last season, so I'm banking on a full offseason to learn the playbook and heal up working wonders for him as a sneaky good Change of pace behind Mark Ingram with equally if not better pass-catching ability.

20.02 Victor Cruz
Again, if he comes back from his injuries he could be a steal. Granted, I don't think anyone could expect Cruz to be back to where he was before the patellar tear, but who knows. Assuming he is 50-75% of what he was, it should be good enough for some solid opportunities as a slot receiver with OBJ and Sterling Shepard keeping defenses very busy.

21.11 Josh Brown
Josh Brown is solid and the Giants have a habit of petering out in the end zone, so yeah.

22.02 Jacquizz Rodgers
PFF grades Jacquizz Rodgers as a surprisingly capable back, and recent reports are that he impressed last year before going down with an injury. With Forte gone, there are a lot of targets to go around, and I could see Rodgers soaking some of that up.

23.11 Stevie Johnson
Stevie was another solid player who performed well before going down with injury last year. The Chargers should be healthier this year, and Stevie should still have the same role.

24.02 Cecil Shorts
This was an autopick, but whatever. Cecil will probably lose his job by week 4.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
LOL ASJ.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001

I HAVE FAITH DAMMIT! MINOR SETBACK HE WILL BE FINE

(happy I did draft a third TE now, even if now I have the shittiest TE core in the league...)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was at a conference this week and set my draft prefs in advance, and I'm now regretting marshawn lynch. I just found something saying he did actually sign his retirement papers at the end of May.

Welp. I would have drafted probably the Giants D/ST instead. :shrug: or I was thinking of Anquan Boldin, who is a free agent likely to get grabbed by the first team to have a starting WR get injured, so probably before the preseason games even start.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

It's ok I think most of us have at least one useless player now

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I was at a conference and it auto-drafted a 3rd kicker for me. That was bad. I waited way too long for a 2nd TE and 2nd defense. Other than that I don't feel too bad about anything yet.

This took us 30 days exactly! :o

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I missed my last pick as well and got ANOTHER WR...technically since Torn ACLs hasn't picked yet I could get Beer to change it, but gently caress it. This isn't the first one I've missed in this draft so I say I kind of deserve it. Had some sort of problem with my phone not sending me emails when the come in lately and haven't fixed it yet so it's on me.

I filled out just about everything else I needed so whatever! Hell, maybe this uh... *checks* Justin Hardy guy will pull through for me once this season. I'll run down my players and compile all my descriptions in this thread, probably on Monday.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

timp posted:

I missed my last pick as well and got ANOTHER WR...technically since Torn ACLs hasn't picked yet I could get Beer to change it, but gently caress it. This isn't the first one I've missed in this draft so I say I kind of deserve it. Had some sort of problem with my phone not sending me emails when the come in lately and haven't fixed it yet so it's on me.

I filled out just about everything else I needed so whatever! Hell, maybe this uh... *checks* Justin Hardy guy will pull through for me once this season. I'll run down my players and compile all my descriptions in this thread, probably on Monday.

He's third on the depth chart in Atlanta after Julio and Sanu. He's probably not very good, but there's a non-zero chance he ends up the #2 in Atlanta this year through injury or breakout performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

There's my last pick. Rundown of my last couple of picks:

20.10 - Vinatieri, Kicker #1
21.03 - NYG Defense, Defense #3
22.10 - Prater, Kicker #2
23.03 - Hunter Henry, TE #3 - considered the top TE prospect in this rookie class by most, he landed in a good situation in San Diego, presumably to take over from Gates once he's done. Or sit in purgatory for a few years a la Ladarius Green.
24.10 - Chris Thompson, RB - 3rd down back for WAS, assuming Keith Marshall doesn't take his job right away, should be good for a couple of decent scores throughout the season

My team:

QB: Dalton, RG3, Winston
RB: Ingram, Stewart, Woodhead, Prosise, Drake, Thompson
WR: OBJ, Watkins, Tate, Corey Coleman, Lockett, Perriman, Hogan
TE: Ertz, Miller, Henry
K: Vinateri, Prater
D/ST: Lions, Bears, Giants

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this team. Watkins sucks from a value perspective in retrospect because of the injury. Lots of WR upside, but some unproven names there - I'm going to have to hope one of Coleman, Perriman or Hogan emerges.

• Locked thread