Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I responded to your PM with my email address and am deeply insulted at being snubbed!

I will retaliate by drafting all the players you want just before you were going to draft them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Was I supposed to receive an email or something? I can click the thing to link my account to a team but I don't know which team is mine.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ah cool, OK. Trial and error revealed franchise 5 is mine.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Chen Kenichi posted:

I am, but if you resent it after my previous post but before this one then for whatever reason my email box is not getting it. Sent myself an email and it went through so dunno.

I never got an invite but I was able to make it work. If you have an account on MFL already, go to the league page and click the link in the upper right for linking your account. It'll let you do that, and then you can figure out which team is supposed to be yours by trying to register for each unclaimed team until it lets you. When you try to register, don't put in a password, just use your email address and leave the password field blank and pick teams from the dropdown. When you have the right one, MFL will email you a confirmation link.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm in California, PST/PDT and I would prefer either the 12 hour clock, or a stoppage that runs from no later than 11pm Pacific to no earlier than 10 AM pacific. But 12 hours is probably the better choice.

Even then, there's a decent chance I'll miss a pick if it comes up on a weekend day while I'm out doing things. Does anyone know if there's an MFL android app that lets you draft?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This year I won't be drafting T-Rich. Just FYI.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

timp posted:

Uuuuuuuh...I'm a dumbass and accidentally picked Cam Newton instead of my intended pick, Le'Veon Bell. I wrote up a little explanation with the draft submission:

Yeah last year I accidentally drafted Gurley because the MFL setup thing is really goddamn obtuse. You can set up a pre-draft list but if you want to auto-draft you make a different list. The pre-draft list only gets used after your time runs out, while the auto-draft list is just for that specific pick, unless I think you can copy it over to the next one? Or some poo poo like that, it's super dumb and confusing and bad.

Cam isn't a terrible pick though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I had AP in my autodraft list but honestly did not expect him to fall to me, and was going to take Gronk. I don't love AP's team but he proved last year that he's still a workhorse three-down back with plenty of scoring potential.

I'm sad to miss both gronk and Lamar Miller, either of which would for sure have been my next picks.

For my second pick I want an elite wideout. Jordy Nelson used to be that - could be he'll be deminished after a year off, but he's got the best quarterback throwing to him (yeah I said it, suck it cam) and he's got the talent. I want homeruns from my #1 WR and Jordy Nelson can get me home runs.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Same. But the angry hamster is really a round1 or maybe early round2 pick, the only reason he's fallen this far is how many owners we seem to have going with all WRs for the first couple rounds. Him falling to 3.01 is already pretty late.

e. like I would never take sammy watkins over doug martin. And I really like Watkins this year.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Welp. You've got Brown, and you've got my RB2 and RB3 choices. Wrap it up, you've already won the league. I blame everyone else for letting both those guys fall to you.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh I told a lie, Bell was my RB2 choice, so you have my RB3 and 4. I guess the field is still wide open. :shrug:

For the counter to why muscle hamster won't repeat this year, maybe it's because the bucs will finally recognize the true greatness of charles sims

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

3.10 Aaron Rodgers
A A Ron probably won't win the super bowl this year. But for my QB1 I want a known good QB in a good offense who has proven he can put up big scores multiple times per season. A lot of guys would target Wilson for that (once Cam is gone) but I have zero confidence that Seattle has addressed its porous OL, and without their star RB, I think Wilson is riskier. Plus as previously mentioned, Jordy Nelson should be back now, and Rodgers with a passel of good weapons is extremely dangerous.

I had Rodgers behind Rawls, Benjamin, Charles, Mike Evans, Doug Martin, and Brandin Cooks on my autodraft list, but all of those guys were taken. Normally I don't like taking a QB so early but I think late in the third, Rodgers is a great value, and the fact Cam is already off the list at 2.11 implies the top QBs are likely to start disappearing in the 4th.

4.03 Jarvis Landry
Arguably this is a reach. Miami is an unknown quantity. As I commented, nobody passed more than Miami last year, despite having Miller, which was loving stupid... and now they don't even have Miller (Jay Ajayi is a perfectly adequate RB but Miller is a star). With new coaching staff, there's certainly the possibility that Tanny throws less passes. But that might actually be a good thing, since right now everyone who plays Miami knows to just cover the gently caress out of their WRs. Then again, in 2015 that was obvious and despite that, Landry turned in big numbers, with 10 or more points in 11 different matches, and breaking 20 twice.

I was sorely tempted to take Wilson here, loving over everyone else by stacking the poo poo out of QBs. My worry though is that my next pick is 19 picks away and I expect all of the top WRs to be long gone by then. I could also have taken a RB, but I think the reliable 3-down bellcows are pretty much gone and I can pick up lots of value at RB in later rounds.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Re: Jordan Reed: this is the year Vernon Davis suddenly remembers how to play football. Calling it now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm surprised Olsen lasted as late as he did, but with him gone, I see a dozen basically interchangeable TEs and I think it's too early to draft one of them. So,

5.10 DeMarco Murray
This guy was a clear first-rounder until last year's low-effort crybaby feud/tantrum about being disrespected or whatever the gently caress. Murray is being touted as a veteran timesharer in Ten but I think there's a decent chance he returns to form... and in the fifth round he's got plenty of value even if he doesn't. I wanted Latavious or J-Stew here but those guys got grabbed so here we are.

I agree the RB class is deep this year, except not RBs who also catch! It's half-ppr and there are just a handful of guys left who have a clear record of being both big runners, and passing-down options/checkdown guys. While I see a deep stable of WR2s.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was definitely going to take Wilson as my second QB if he fell to me, so that was absolutely the right pick there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

6.03 Emmanuel Sanders
I needed a WR. We're down to a very short list of WR1s on highly questionable teams, including a couple of rookies, and a lot of very good WR2s on good teams. Sanders is an excellent receiver, who would be WR1 on a lot of other NFL teams. Presumably he's fallen to the sixth round only because of Denver's, uh, questionable QB situation. But, Sanders produced gobs of points in a season where Old Man Manning's arm turned into a wet noodle, so I'm confident he'll earn me some points this year.

He was a bit of a tossup vs. Larry Fitz, so Mikey Purp there sort of solved that issue for me kinda, although honestly I had Fitz just behind Sanders in my autodraft queue. If they'd both gone, I might have gone for a rookie. Maybe even a rookie Brown, ulp.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sniped again, god dammit. I was going to draft Crabs.

So:
7.10 Gary Barnidge
Yeah, I took a TE here. Looked at the WR and RB corps, and didn't see anyone I absolutely had to grab.

I was initially leaning towards Eric Ebron. He claims he's Detroit's safety net, and will get lots more targets now with Megatron retired. Maybe. But there's just as good a chance that he sticks right where he's at, a 500 yard season, which is acceptable for a TE2.
But in that case, why not just take Zack Ertz? He's probably a better TE, and he pulled in 300 more yards (although fewer TDs) last year. Well, the answer is because the Eagles. Who is their QB? What will the new coach do? I don't loving know.

So why not grab the superior TE, even though he's a Brown? They have new coaching too, and a new QB situation. And Barnidge put up a thousand yard season, plus nine TDs, in a year where the QBs were generally awful. And he's a 7-year veteran. The Browns have a stable of rookies who will have to learn the ropes... I think it makes sense to run Barnidge out on a lot of sets as a safe checkdown option while the new kids fumble around being rookies.

This pick could bite me in the rear end, of course, but gently caress it. End of the 7th round is where you grab your question mark players who have a ton of potential upside, and I think Barnidge fits that description.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 18, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The best part is when two of your guys die during the preseason and two more wind up on some practice squad or out of the league entirely, and you spend your entire season getting between zero and three points a game in one of your slots. But meanwhile you have four really great guys in another slot so you get like 25 points in it every week.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So as probably nobody has noticed by now, I decided everyone was talking about goign heavy WRs and so I would try to go light WRs as a contrarian approach. Hence I've now drafted my second QB while a number of you don't even have your first.

8.03 Carson Palmer
I'll just quote my comment here:
For my QB2, I'd take Tom Brady except he's missing 4 weeks. Close second is Carson Palmer. Why not Drew Brees? Because Brees is getting old and has a lot of miles. I expect him to start declining as a passer some day soon (he is going down in yards per year the last three years). Palmer is almost as old, but has played fewer seasons, and last year was his best ever. And the Cards are just a better team, with Fitz, Floyd, Brown, and a promising JJ Nelson as targets, plus a dynamite RB corps, they're poised for a superbowl run.

Palmer is certainly an injury risk, but that's why I've got Rodgers as my QB1. I figure between the two of them I should have very good odds of big 25 point games every week. I had three strong contenders for my QB pick here, between Brees, Palmer, and Tom Brady. Brady was tempting even with a 4-week suspension, because it's very unlikely Rodgers gets injured in the first four weeks and it mostly guarantees Brady is fresh through the midseason. But in the end I figured well, I think the Pats are in a bit of a decline while I think the Cards are on a potential championship upswing, so I'll go with the cards. And that's why Brees loses out, of the three, on top of his older age; the Saints kind of suck these days.

Now I just have to hope that going late on WRs doesn't bite me too hard in the rear end.

e. I'm pretty happy with this roster so far:
pre:
Palmer, Carson ARI QB 		317.0 	9
Rodgers, Aaron GBP QB 		294.0 	4
Murray, DeMarco TEN RB 		143.0 	13
Peterson, Adrian MIN RB 	225.5 	6
Landry, Jarvis MIA WR 		193.5 	8
Nelson, Jordy GBP WR (P) 	- 	4
Sanders, Emmanuel DEN WR 	170.5 	11
Barnidge, Gary CLE TE 		178.5 	13

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ooh, an autopick at 8.08!
And a hopeful Arian Foster pick!

Post about your picks, you lazy bastards!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

9.10 Josh Doctson

I don't know jack or poo poo about college dudes, but I know this was a high draft pick who is expected to slot in and immediately produce this year. My problems with him are that he's a rookie, and that he's in Washington. But hell, probably a lot of upside potential, right? Also I like his name. Rhymes with Datsun.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

10.03 Charcandrick West
I felt like I needed to grab my third RB with this pick, since it's a loooong way down to my next one. As I said in my comments, a few names popped out as decent options, all of whom I'm sure will be drafted before my next pick comes around. Bilal Powell was a strong option, and so was Blount, but in the end I went with my gut: I think Charmander is the best RB of the three, and his situation is at least as good. Jerick McKinnon keeps saying he's going to get more work, but last year that didn't pan out, and I'm not sure if handcuffing makes much sense in this format. West also has a week 5 bye, and I have no other byes that week. As I get deeper into my roster it starts making sense to use that as a tiebreaker.

I probably should have at least considered another WR here, since I only have four rostered, but I think the world of viable WR2/3 players is much larger than the world of RBs who can put up decent fill-in points with upside potential.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was definitely looking at both of those smiths. SF is a total unknown but Torrey is currently penciled in as their WR1, and getting a WR1 in the 11th round is pretty ridiculous no matter how bad of a team it is. At this point in the draft you should have your big starters and you're probably looking for WRs who will put up maybe one or two big games to pop up into your top 3 for a week or two during the season just to buff your score a little.

coronaball posted:

Also I was looking the defenses and it says the 49ers defense scored 70 points in this league in 2015, same as the Broncos? How can that be?

edit: and the Rams had 0 points in 2015 and AZ had -2? What?

Yeah uh, Beer, before anyone starts grabbing D/STs, can you double-check the scoring?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Okay, I looked over the scoring requirements and fixed the problem. It should work a lot better now.

Looks like the points totals haven't updated yet. IIRC, MFL only re-runs the scoring like once a day or some poo poo so we have to wait to see the new results.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

11.10 Kendall Wright
Back at the end of round 10 I looked for any starting WR1s left in the league. Torrey Smith was one, and Kendall Wright was another. I honestly don't know how he slipped this far and consider this a major steal at the back end of the eleventh round. This guy has missed some games the last couple years, so I get that an injury concern is there, but when he last put in a healthy season in 2013 he had a 1000 yard season, and that was before Mariota. DGB, Rishard Matthews, and Harry Douglas are all rostered as well, so I don't expect a thousand yards from Wright by any means, but at this position I'll be delighted with 600+ and I see no reason he can't easily do that if he stays healthy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

12.03 Bilal Powell
Considering I was ready to take this guy at 10.03, this is another steal in my opinion. I had a pile of WRs slated to grab but I can't pass up the value. In 0.5 PPR, Powell's ability to run or catch gives him steady 3rd down work, plus handcuff for Matt Forte if need be. He missed some time last year but should be healthy now, it was only a sprain. I wouldn't expect any huge games from Powell barring a Forte injury, but if I lose another RB or whatever, he can provide a stable floor of weekly points.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

13.10 Nelson Agholor
I threw together an autodraft list of WRs back in round 10, and Agholor was the top guy left by the time it wrapped around to this pick. He's slated as the Eagles' WR2. He had an unimpressive rookie year which included a sprained ankle, but then again, it was on Chip Kelly's Crazy Train, and the entire team was busy flying off the rails all year. Plus the Eagles haven't exactly loaded up on fresh WR talent in the offseason. They grabbed Reuben Randle for god's sake. And Chris Givens? So I figure this is a high-upside lottery ticket which is fine for a late 13th rounder.

14.03 Cincinnati Bengals
Eh. I wanted the Chiefs or the Pats, but they both got grabbed just ahead of me. At this point there's like a dozen medium-strength competent defenses and I'll just pick one that did reasonably well last year. I guess Burfict gonna keep Burficting, and Pacman gonna keep Pacmanning, right? These two shitlords can foul their way into my scoring charts all year.

Also I think this was a little early for defenses but obviously we're on a run now, and I better grab one or I'll be stuck with something gross and bad by the time the end of the 15th round comes along.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

15.10 Jason Witten

Reliable for 700 yards and a handful of touchdowns, which is all I could ask for as my backup TE. Between Witten and Barnidge I should have reasonable security of few dud TE weeks each week. Should, but of course, tight ends suck. But gently caress it, what can you do? Considering the superstar TEs are all gone, I'll take reliable over a lottery ticket here in the 15th round.

Did you know Jason Witten hasn't missed a game since week 6 of 2003? One missed game in his entire career. I don't even think he was injured, he was just a rookie on the bench that week.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 27, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

16.03: Pittsburgh

A reasonably good defense last year that doesn't look to have been gutted in the offseason is fine by me for my second D/ST. I even checked bye weeks!

There's 12 teams and only 36 D/STs to pick from, so I wanted to get my second before most of the other teams have theirs. A third D/ST might be overkill, but that means a second D/ST should be good enough to usually have a reasonable floor on the weeks when your main D/ST flubs. I'm not looking for home runs, just basic competency.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LOL whoops, now you have found out about the surprise 2016 expansion teams: The Sacramento Budgets, London Royals, Manitoba Lumberjacks, and Pismo Beach Albions. :ssh:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Guys, set up autopicks if your turn will be up in the next half-dozen picks. At this point, you're pretty unlikely to be sniped, so just pick your top two and you're good.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

17.10 Jared Goff
I've already got Rodgers and Palmer, so my QB3 is just a guy to fill in for those unlikely weeks when one guy is on bye and the other's injured or has an uncharacteristically bad week. But there's also the possibility that Goff is like, the next coming of Dan Marino or whatever and has a few giant games? It's happened before, you never really know with rookie QBs. Goff seems like a good option since he's the clear Rams starter barring preseason injury, and if he doesn't pan out, well, wasting a 17th round pick isn't a big deal.

I had Osweiler just ahead of him in my autopick queue, and RGIII just ahead of Osweiler, so I feel like I've picked the right round to grab my QB3.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

12.12 144. Draft Warrior Gostkowski, Stephen NEP PK
So I think you mean THE FIRST KICKER DRAFTED AT A REMOTELY SENSIBLE ROUND HAS BEEN DRAFTED

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

18.03 Danny Amendola
I'm actually a little surprised Amendola has dropped to the 18th round. Even with a 4-game Brady discount, he's probably good for at least 500 yards and a couple TDs. OK, he had surgery in this offseason, but who hasn't? They took a bone spur off his ankle, that's not that big of a deal. At this point in the draft, this guy is a very fine pick. He is a receiver who catches some balls and whose position on the team is not in question, and that's round 18 gold.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Actually we're starting round 19 of 24, so nearly five rounds. We'll probably be done within a week.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

19.10: Blair Walsh
OK yup, I took a kicker. Seems to be about the right round to grab someone reasonably reliable. Minnesota should be in position for PATs and FGs a few times every game, so yup.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

20.03: Blue, Alfred

Lamar Miller is the bellcow back for the Texans, and I do not subscribe to the idea that the reason Miami barely used him was because he can't handle a heavy workload.

But, just in case they're right, I don't mind taking the #2 back in Texas. He might get some carried when Miller gets tired, and if Miller gets hurt this is his handcuff.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

21.10: Gould, Robbie
In this format you need multiple kickers. Sigh.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

22.03: McDonald, Vance SFO TE

For my third tight end spot I'm going with a sneaky upside longshot. I'll let rotoviz explain.

tl:dr; McDonald has potential. He's also got "bad hands" and maybe will drop enough passes that the whole idea is scrapped quickly, I don't know. We'll see. For round 22, it's worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Vance McDonald is a trash tier receiver and a very good blocker so it's going to be Garrett Celek as the hail Mary TE to own in SF.

Maybe even Blake Bell.

Just not McDonald. That dude is terrible.

Edit: Only Jeremy Langford had a higher drop percentage last season (at least 30 targets division)

Actually if someone else is competing with him, it might be Bruce Miller. http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article81576877.html
:ssh:

But in round 22 I don't mind an extreme longshot. Maybe Vance has been working on his hands during the offseason. And honestly he still looked better than Vernon Davis has the last couple years. Remember him? There was a time he was a top three TE pick in fantasy.

e. Also Langford was drafted in the fourth round. OK he's an RB so maybe he doesn't need to catch so many passes, but still. If you're useful enough, a few drops are forgivable.

e2. Also also, chip kelly. He needs TEs who can block and also run a route and catch, because his offense stays on the field through multiple downs without subs. So McDonald is attractive as a guy who, as you say, can block very well, but also operates as a potential passing weapon. That's the idea, anyway, who knows what will happen. :shrug:

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 8, 2016

• Locked thread