Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Oh, what a day! What a lovely day!

(I would like to do this slow draft)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Whoops, I could have sworn I sent my email to you in my first pm, but just resent it.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I think I claimed my franchise, but am still waiting on the email from MFL. It's been like 4 hours...is there a way to resend it?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

With pick No 11 I took Gronkenstein Monster. A lot of the other players I was considering either had major return from injury question marks, team/scheme change question marks, or otherwise just felt like a reach, so Gronk just felt like the best choice here even taking into account Brady's suspension. That being said, I don't feel Gronk will suffer that much with Garropolo under center, and Brady coming back with another round of hot revenge fire in his belly after week 4 sounds good to me.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

With pick 2.02 I take Lamar Miller. For the past three seasons, Lamar Miller has flashed signs of brilliance and been hampered by an organization who utilized him in ways that defy any semblance of logic, even for the NFL. Hopefully Bill O'Brien saw the same things that we did when they went out and signed Miller this year. I see Miller being a fresher, younger Arian Foster minus the injury prone label in a (hopefully) much improved offense.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

With pick 3.11, I choose Demaryius Thomas of the Super Bowl 50 World Champion Denver Broncos.

While I should have probably drafted a safer choice as my WR1, I like DT's upside and am somehow confident that John Elway has a plan when it comes to the QB quandary that the Broncos appear to be in right now. Plus while I am a Giants fan, I still live in Denver, so being able to root for the home team will be fun.

With pick 4.02, I choose T.Y. Hilton of the Indy Colts.

A safe WR2 to go with my risky WR1 pick, Hilton could easily supplant DT on my depth chart. With little in the way of competition on the roster, Luck apparently back to full health, and the Colts making a major investment in their O-line this year via the draft, Hilton has a high floor and a high ceiling. That's especially true if he can hit the end zone more than 4 times this year.

Lamar Miller
Demaryius Thomas
T.Y. Hilton
Rob Gronkowski

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 13, 2016

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Varg posted:

4.05 - Matt Forte

surprised he fell this far.. despite turning 30, he's on a team that still likes to run a lot and made Chris Ivory look good for most of last season. the value just seems too good to pass up here

I agree with the sentiment on Forte, but Chris Ivory IS good. :colbert:

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Welp, Im starting to see that I'm way on board with the Colt's offense this year, to the point where I'm drafting ancient RBs who performed poorly last year. Still, we've been saying that Frank Gore is out of gas for about 4 seasons now, and he keeps chugging along. I have a lot of faith in a healthy Luck, a complete lack of competition in the backfield, and a stronger o-line to boost Gore to somewhere in the ballpark of 1100/8, which would make him a valuable RB2 at this stage in the draft.

Lamar Miller
Frank Gore
Demaryius Thomas
TY Hilton
Rob Gronkowski

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 15, 2016

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

With pick 6.02 I select Larry Fitzgerald.

That's two picks in a row of guys who are 30+ years old, but Fitz performed well enough last year, Palmer is healthy, and this offense is sick. I feel like I'm leaning pretty conservative in this draft, but I chalk it up to being very early in the season. Drafting without having been bombarded with tickets to a million different hype trains is interesting and I can't wait to see how ridiculous there's picks look come December.

Demaryius Thomas
TY Hilton
Larry Fitzgerald
Lamar Miller
Frank Gore
Rob Gronkowski

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

My last two or three picks could be summed up as "I've completely lost track of what I'm doing and what my strategy was."

7.11 Kevin White: I think I might have reached pretty hard here, but MFL's interface makes it really difficult to see what players are available and I didn't have access to a computer at the time. Excuses aside, Kevin White was a first round draft pick last year before his season was lost to injury. This year he's finally healthy and won't be competing with anyone for the #2 job behind Alshon Jeffrey. I like his chances.

8.2 Marvin Jones: He had flashes in Cincinnatti and should finally get consistent playing time and targets while attempting to fill the shoes of one Don Mega. Jones is a beast in the red zone and could end up a quality WR2 or better if the Lions improve in any way this year.

Looking back, if I could have taken that Kevin White pick back in exchange for Gio Bernard, I would do it. I just think that my team needs some more RB depth and White may have even been there come round 9, who knows.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

9.11 Theo Riddick.

He's one of the few remaining running backs who has a consistent space carved out in his team's backfield. Riddick is the poor man's Sproles, and when it comes to RBs I'm a very poor man indeed.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

10.02 EFM

Ben McAdoo is now the head coach in NY, and Eli has improved each of the last two years in his system. The O-line is still crap but the WR corps has been bolstered this year with a seemingly healthy Victor Cruz and new rookie sensation Sterling Shepard. Oh yeah, and they have OBJ too. CHAMPIONSHIP

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

You forgot about TRich, though.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

11.11 and 12.02 - Jerrick McKinnon and Tevin Coleman

Just trying to shore up my running back corps at this point. Jerrick may be earning a bit more work this season, and if ADP goes down for any amount of time he should become an easy RB1.

12th round for Coleman seems like it could pan out to be a huge steal. Granted, Freeman absolutely exploded last season and has definitely earned the RB1 position on the depth chart. But Coleman was drafted by the current coaching regime and the front office has continually talked him up. His rookie season was essentially a wash due to injury, and I'm willing to bet that we haven't yet seen what he can do. Freeman will still get the lion's share of carries, but I could easily see this evolving into an RB1a - RB1b kind of backfield.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

13.11 and 14.02 - Jay Cutler and Rams DST

Jay should be a nice complement for Eli. Since both of these guys are essentially boom or bust QBs, I will have to keep my fingers crossed that they don't both implode in the same weeks.

I saw a run on DSTs beginning so I figured I'd pick my first DST up with the Rams. I think they're a top 5 unit and may benefit this year from an improved offense that will hopefully keep them off the field a little bit more than in the past.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Did I miss the memo or did you just invent four expansion teams?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

15.11 - Devin Funchess
People were pretty big on him last season before KB went down, and with a healthy KB and some experience under his belt, he may do some stuff this season. I dunno.

16.02 - Jared Cook
We already know who Jared Cook is: an athletic freak who has never played up to his potential. That being said, he has never played with a QB even remotely as talented as Aaron Rodgers, who has that intangible ability to elevate his receivers. Mike McCarthy expressed his desire for a big pass-catching TE this preseason, and they went out and got one.

17.11 - Jaguars DST
I admit that I'm blinded by all of the talent on this defense and will be legitimately surprised when they poo poo it up again this year.

18.02 - Dan Bailey
I fell victim to the kicker run here. Dan Bailey has always been a reliable kicker, and assuming that Romo stays healthy and keeps the DAL offense functional, I don't see that changing any time soon.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

It's been a while since I showed the (non)logic behind my late round picks.

19.11 CJ Spiller
I'm all about picking up talented players who have flamed out but may provide some value if they regain any of their former glory. There are a lot of excuses surrounding CJ Spiller's season with the Saints last year - he was injured and he never learned the playbook being the main ones. He's still a fast, elusive back who flashed once or twice last season, so I'm banking on a full offseason to learn the playbook and heal up working wonders for him as a sneaky good Change of pace behind Mark Ingram with equally if not better pass-catching ability.

20.02 Victor Cruz
Again, if he comes back from his injuries he could be a steal. Granted, I don't think anyone could expect Cruz to be back to where he was before the patellar tear, but who knows. Assuming he is 50-75% of what he was, it should be good enough for some solid opportunities as a slot receiver with OBJ and Sterling Shepard keeping defenses very busy.

21.11 Josh Brown
Josh Brown is solid and the Giants have a habit of petering out in the end zone, so yeah.

22.02 Jacquizz Rodgers
PFF grades Jacquizz Rodgers as a surprisingly capable back, and recent reports are that he impressed last year before going down with an injury. With Forte gone, there are a lot of targets to go around, and I could see Rodgers soaking some of that up.

23.11 Stevie Johnson
Stevie was another solid player who performed well before going down with injury last year. The Chargers should be healthier this year, and Stevie should still have the same role.

24.02 Cecil Shorts
This was an autopick, but whatever. Cecil will probably lose his job by week 4.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Mikey's Team of Losers and Has-beens:

QB: Jay Cutler CHI, Eli Manning NYG
Jay Cutler and Eli Manning are both very competent QBs surrounded with great weapons. Traditionally interceptions have been where they will kill you, but seeing as how interceptions don't ding your score in this format, they should make for a very strong starting QB core. I wish I had drafted a third QB, but the run in rounds 11 and 12 left me with a bunch of question marks to choose from. I wish I would have waited on drafting Funchess and picked up Flacco instead.

RB: Lamar Miller HOU, Frank Gore IND, Theo Riddick DET, Tevin Coleman ATL, Jerrick McKinnon MIN, Jacquizz Rodgers CHI, C.J. Spiller NOS
Only two of these guys need to show up every week, so the idea was to anchor my RB corps with Lamar Miller who I believe will be a week-in, week-out top 5 player at the position, and then pray that one or two of these other assholes pans out. Gore and Riddick should hopefully perform as a serviceable RB2 and buy time until one of Coleman, McKinnon, Rodgers or Spiller see some time as the starter on their team due to injury or explosive performance. RB is so ridiculous to predict every year that I just decided not to even try and focused most of my early round picks on pass catchers instead. In retrospect, Gore was definitely a reach, but I am drinking the "healthy Andrew Luck = dramatically improved IND offense" kool-aid.

WR: Demaryius Thomas DEN, T.Y. Hilton IND, Larry Fitzgerald ARI, Marvin Jones DET, Cecil Shorts HOU, Kevin White CHI, Stevie Johnson SDC, Devin Funchess CAR, Victor Cruz NYG
I'm generally happy with my WR group, but by no means do I think it is best in the league. That being said, I think I got incredible value on almost every one of these guys. Although I could see how Demaryius Thomas could be a bust this year, I was very happy to find Hilton in the 4th, Fitz in the 6th and Jones in the 8th. Like most of my other picks, these guys are talented players who I think are being undervalued. Same with White, Johnson, Funchess and Cruz, who are all talented receivers whose value is depressed due to injury. I'm fairly confident that one of these guys will pay huge dividends relative to their draft position.

TE: Rob Gronkowski NEP, Jared Cook GBP
Gronk, enough said. Even minus Tom Brady for 4 games, he should eat. Because I spent a high pick on Gronk, I waited a really long time to grab a TE2 and I think I suffered for it in picking up Jared Cook. Still, Cook could find redemption and finally play up to his potential, you never know. Hopefully it doesn't matter because he will always be riding the bench behind Gronk's 20+ PPG.

Kicker: Dan Bailey DAL, Josh Brown NYG
Kickers, whatever. Both play on high powered offenses who have a habit of stalling in the red zone against good defenses. I probably could have waited another round on Bailey, and I wish I had picked up Prater instead of Brown, but again - kickers, whatever.

DST: LA Rams, Jacksonville Jaguars
I don't feel very good about my DST picks. The Rams are a great unit and the team is built to keep scores low and burn the clock, so that should work out fairly well, but I wish I had picked my first DST a round or two earlier so that I could have grabbed the Cardinals or Seahawks. The Jaguars defense is most likely going to be poo poo again this year, but there was a run in round 16 that left me with a pile of turds to choose from. Of the DSTs left to me, the Jags seem like the unit with the most upside and in the best case scenario they could take a huge step forward with a healthy first round draft pick playing at DE, LB and CB. DST is the one position in best ball where you don't have to worry about depth as much, so two DSTs seems fine to me.

I admit that I didn't really give a lot of thought to strategy going into this draft. I focused primarily on value, paying extra attention to players whose value is currently depressed due to age/injury, poor performance last season, or uncertainty around their roles and opportunity. Because rosters are so deep and we're talking best ball, the shotgun approach seemed to make sense with the idea being that if I'm lucky then a couple of these guys will end up being those perennial surprise superstars.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it. I agree with most of your assessment, although I'm a little higher on Eli than most, especially without the int scoring. I could easily see him being the number 6 or 7 QB this year assuming that OBJ stays healthy and Cruz actually comes back.

Somehow I got the idea that the line-up was 2RB, 3WR and 2 Flex, so I drafted so many WRs with the idea that I could start 5. I'd probably turn one or two of those into another TE or QB if I had known.

• Locked thread