Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hi, everyone! Putting out a Derby GDT thread in case anyone wants to drink half a handle of Bourbon and then pass out before the main event. You know, like me two years ago*.

(* every year)

Wut

Last year was particularly exciting because we got to watch the first Triple Crown winner in approximately forever. Otherwise, I'm not going to describe the Derby too much for you: four legged animal goes fast, try to pick one from the list and win. But! We'll also be starting this early in case anyone wants to bet on the previous races as well. Don't listen to Tom Hammond, Hank Goldberg, or Jerry Bayley. They are idiots. I don't care if Bayley was a jockey, he's still an idiot.

Where

NBC, around 6:49 PM. Depends on race times before, organizational nonsense, the phase of the moon and tides, etc.

Do I need to know anything about horses to post here

Absolutely not. And, in fact, that's a good sign you should immediately run out and bet on a horse based on its silks/name/number/is-a-grey/whatever because you will instantly clear more money than any other horseman will see in their lifetime. :negative:

Other than that, swill Bourbon (or whatever, all drinks welcome here, one love), watch horses run around in a circle, and call Tom Hammond bad names. Same as every year!

Betting Tips?

hahahahahaha you're asking me

Normally I would tell you to ABB (always bet Borel) but he just retired suddenly a month ago. I don't blame him, he's won just about everything except the entire triple crown (belmoooooont) and at this point he probably sleeps on a bed made of woven :10bux:. He's probably earned the right to call his shots. Other than that, Geroux was hot yesterday, or so I heard. I wouldn't bet him for the derby but he's probably worth a look in the undercard.

Really though, the Derby is basically "throw a dart and good luck." The program/racing forum won't help, you have to pick based on rep and past performances, which means you follow the races religiously. My wife has done this and has $125 in her betting account right now. I have not and have not won a single goddamn thing since last year. Anyway, she has no clue who to pick in this field, so every man for themselves. Personally, I like Nyquist, because on paper he's stomped everyone flat he's faced. This means he will not win.

Ways to Lose Money

Twin Spires is run by Churchill Downs and accepts Paypal. This is a fantastic idea for them and a terrible idea for everyone else.

A bit late in the day for it, but if you like to crunch numbers, Daily Racing Forum is your huckleberry.

The McGee Household Pick 4 (Don't play this, you'll lose all your money)

Race 9: 3/6/8
Race 10: 5/6/11
Race 11: 12
Race 12: 5/13/16

Post here! It's cool!

I'm not expecting more than a handful of people, but it's usually a fun time. There's a lot of time between the late races, so there's still plenty of time to get blind stinking drunk and spam bets for no reason! DO IT IT'S AWESOME

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Late update: Mrs. McGee just hit a pick 3 for $100+ :homebrew:

Also final bump before I say gently caress it and close the thread! :mmmhmm:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

R.D. Mangles posted:

my money's on the horse

you lost and now owe me $12.50

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CaptainYesterday posted:

I guess I'll watch - the Kentucky Derby is between two Stanley Cup playoff games.

Cool. There's a shitload of time between races but you can catch the three undercards left and watch a horse do a thing

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Arkane posted:

Mo Tom for me, odds seem too short on Nyquist and Exaggerator.

:agreed: but you almost have to use him for vertical plays, I feel.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
McGee Household Pick 4

Race 9: 3/6/8
Race 10: 5/6/11
Race 11: 12
Race 12: 5/13/16

@$0.50 costs $13.50
@$1.00 costs $27

You have 10 minutes to throw your money away on these picks.

Race 9

Chokes Sez: Shakamat (8) is the one to beat here. Consider a wheel with Converge (3) and JR's Holiday (6)—especially the last one, who looks to be a serious contender.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
lol out in the first race

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Race 10

Chokes Sez: I dunno bet the 6 (Sharp Azteca) or some poo poo. I guess the numbers have been getting ridiculously better every race? It's not like I know what I'm talking about here :shrug:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Coco13 posted:

I bought peppers and an onion today and it came to $3 so put all my chips on the horse number three.

why would you waste chips like that, we bought french onion dip and everything

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The Kraken posted:

Run fast, hosre

don't sign your posts :smug:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I picked a horse right!! ... hilariously my wife bet the wrong horse for me :negative:

Race 11:

Chokes Sez: In the grim dark future, there are only horses, extending out forever across the galaxy. Dehumanize yourself and face to Big Blue Kitten (12) who has owned people up and down the board in all his races.

Yes, his.

That poor horse.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Benne posted:

Let's go horsies

same

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Well I don't want to say I told you so but oh wait I did in the OP. :smug:

I have no idea if there's going to be a Preakness thread and there probably won't be a Belmont thread unless we have a shot at another Triple Crown dood. This one went okay! But the Preakness doesn't exactly scream MUST WATCH EVENT sooo.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Also I kind of want to do horse racing GDTs for major events (like Breeders Cup) but I'm not sure there's enough interest in non-famous races. :justpost: and all but if there's like four pages of Chokesposting with the occasional interruption then meh. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CBJSprague24 posted:

You could turn this into the Horse Racing GDT and maybe get Hand Knit to change the title.

It might not be a bad idea but the major events are several weeks apart and I'd want to redo the OP for each. The other issue is that there's only four major televised events, and Breeders Cup is pushing it.

I think if I put a lot more effort into it then "hey here's four races at the end of the card" it'll attract more people, but I also get the feeling there's like six people on the forums who play the ponies and two of them are doing it ironically

• Locked thread